By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Has Vgchartz gotten boring?

Well since the topic is going from boring to dying, I'll add

Forums in general are dying, Forums focused on sales are niche as is and with companies using new metrics for success there's even less conversations to be had. I think it's a sinking ship, literally can't think of a reason for new users to bother with this site tbh

I stay here because I like small communities and the users that come here (for the most part)

if anything, I think Nation threads are the only thing keeping a few people here. Resetera has similar threads, and it helps build communities IMO

Around the Network
Shinobi-san said:

I think a few issues:

1. People still clinging to their "Nation" threads years later or rather "mega" threads in general. I warned moderators about this and I believe it should be stopped. People are posting their opinions in those threads and not in the forum...in fact many new articles are not even posted in the forums these days. I find all my news/rumours/trailers from Youtube these days...and when i come on Vgchartz to give an opinion - nothing. I would need to navigate a Nation thread...and god forbid you post in a thread where you are not welcome due to supposed allegience.

Shinobi-san said:

I think a few issues:

1. People still clinging to their "Nation" threads years later or rather "mega" threads in general. I warned moderators about this and I believe it should be stopped. People are posting their opinions in those threads and not in the forum...in fact many new articles are not even posted in the forums these days. I find all my news/rumours/trailers from Youtube these days...and when i come on Vgchartz to give an opinion - nothing. I would need to navigate a Nation thread...and god forbid you post in a thread where you are not welcome due to supposed allegience.

Jpcc86 said:

Why though? 

Being a previous moderator myself, I also spoke out about the condition of the "Nation Threads". I talked about them being a symptom rather than an overall problem, even if I had issues with their existence. Look no further than the current state of affairs for why I say this:

Being a now-owner of a "Nation Thread", I can personally say that absolutely no user who frequents my thread 'only' hangs out in that thread. I only pop into the PlayStation thread occasionally, but all of the users I have seen there also contribute to other threads and article comments as well. They feel comfortable venturing outside because the environment is suitable for them to do so. The only thread either of you could possibly be referring to is the Xbox thread, even though many of the users there also contribute outside of that thread as well. I don't think it's a secret to why Xbox fans in particular would want to frequent a place like the Xbox Empire thread. Threads that offer a more positive outlook on Xbox often get immediately inundated with concern trolls, FUD, and a pervasive negativity that derails the original conversation of the thread. It creates an environment of people constantly having to fend off people engaging in that behavior. Why would anyone want to have to do that on a regular basis? It gets tiring. I don't think anyone engaging in these threads is looking for an echo chamber in particular, but moreso a place to engage in better-faith conversation because they can't find it outside. That's the real root of the issue I think, not the threads themselves.

Ryuu96 said:

Can i respond to issue 6?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Raven said:

Why though? 

Being a previous moderator myself, I also spoke out about the condition of the "Nation Threads". I talked about them being a symptom rather than an overall problem, even if I had issues with their existence. Look no further than the current state of affairs for why I say this:

Being a now-owner of a "Nation Thread", I can personally say that absolutely no user who frequents my thread 'only' hangs out in that thread. I only pop into the PlayStation thread occasionally, but all of the users I have seen there also contribute to other threads and article comments as well. They feel comfortable venturing outside because the environment is suitable for them to do so. The only thread either of you could possibly be referring to is the Xbox thread, even though many of the users there also contribute outside of that thread as well. I don't think it's a secret to why Xbox fans in particular would want to frequent a place like the Xbox Empire thread. Threads that offer a more positive outlook on Xbox often get immediately inundated with concern trolls, FUD, and a pervasive negativity that derails the original conversation of the thread. It creates an environment of people constantly having to fend off people engaging in that behavior. Why would anyone want to have to do that on a regular basis? It gets tiring. I don't think anyone engaging in these threads is looking for an echo chamber in particular, but moreso a place to engage in better-faith conversation because they can't find it outside. That's the real root of the issue I think, not the threads themselves.

If you condense your possible conversation topics into one big thread, its gonna naturally seem like the forum has little to no movement, cause its always the same threads that are active. Theres very few topics about the Xbox outside the Xbox Empire thread, for instance. And while you and some other people might like that, think about how unfrliendy that comes out to new users, who have to get into an massive prexisting thread with people that already know each other in a forum that appears to have little activity. Its gives out the idea that its build for "hardcore" or longtime members. 

I get why some would like a sort of "safe space" away from the trolls, but really, theres little trolling nowadays, moderation is being very rigid, the forum in general is gotten slow. So I dunno how needed said safe space is.  

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
CGI-Quality said:

I know with the current code, there is only so much that can be done (and, of course, shout out to everyone who has helped revise the site, especially from 2018 on when I started with Talon, to you guys and the moderators that aided in pushing through the front page changes). 

That said, I feel we need the Boss Man for the kind of changes I am talking about (you guys have done plenty). A full on revision (in the vein of Era) while maintaining what makes us tick. Where to begin? Not sure. We'll most likely generate new traffic no matter where we start.

A new name for the site? I'd say a simple change from VGChartz to VGCharts would make us look less outdated. But maybe something even bigger. We do have a bit of a stigma from certain crowds about how we make up our figures, which isn't true. 

Back in the day vgcharts.com was taken, so this got vgcharts.org and vgchartz.com. Looks like nowadays vgcharts.com is up for grabs, so go for it.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

padib said:

The main problem with this forum is that people are not respecting the opinion of others. This is the main foundation of any discourse.

As an individual, even if you don't agree with someone else's point of view, it doesn't mean he or she is wrong. The whole idea of discourse is to share points of view. To bash other people's opinions boils down to having an agenda and being offended when someone has a point of view which brings your agenda backwards. Either that or pure impatience, which is toxic to discourse.

In order to have and enjoy civility and intelligent discourse, it's important to respect others and allow people to be themselves and share their ideas. If intelligent people have controversial points of view and see that all they get is the typical obvious common point of view, there is no purpose for them in discourse other than to be a big brother and hold other peoples' hands.

And not everyone is willing to do that.

This isn't always the case though, if it's an opinion like "I like the Xbox" then that's fine, obviously someone else isn't going to be able to tell that person they are wrong for liking that, if someone was to have the opinion that "the Xbox has the best exclusives" then that is a time when he or she would be wrong, it is perfectly possible for someone to have an opinion which is not correct.

Take it to the extreme in a political thread nature, if someone was of the opinion that BLM was a good movement, there is arguments to be made for that and against that, but say someone comes in there and is of the opinion that White Supremacist groups or the KKK have something to offer... would you still enter that discussion without thinking "well you're wrong mate"

I'm just saying you don't have to respect the opinions or views of someone who posts on here that 1 + 1 = -8

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ryuu96 said:
trunkswd said:

Do you mean this YouTube channel? https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqs7tf421aJxsf0oIgFa9tA

Didn't actually know we had one but it was only active for 3 months and has been dead for 5 years I would just start fresh, not really worth salvaging that, Lol.

I know of former VGC users who have pretty decent sized Youtube channels or Twitter followings.

Jezzzz that's an impressively low amount of subs for a channel linked to a site like this. I think I had more after the first week of making content ?

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

trunkswd said:
Ryuu96 said:

I'm not sure, if only we could hire folk for this

Start small, if we had a Youtube channel we could request press kits from publishers to provide us with trailers and gameplay, then we upload those to our Youtube channel, the growth will begin small, any writers interested in doing video reviews can do so, Podcasts come last on the list because they require more work.

It's all about getting your brand out there, I see XboxEra which off-shooted from ResetEra having their own forums, articles, Youtube, within months of being made, if they can do it then so can we.

Do you mean this YouTube channel? https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqs7tf421aJxsf0oIgFa9tA

Didn't knew that even existed. But trailers alone seem insufficient. What about some original content, based on the numbers. It could be pretty simple, a screencast of the weekly number graphs with some spoken text explaining the stuff, similar to the sales articles. Probably too much work though.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

CGI-Quality said:
trunkswd said:

A new name for the site? I'd say a simple change from VGChartz to VGCharts would make us look less outdated. But maybe something even bigger. We do have a bit of a stigma from certain crowds about how we make up our figures, which isn't true. 

I've unfortunately seen the stigma (going as far as even in the Gamefaqs forums). D:

As for name change, perhaps dropping the VGC name would help, but something that doesn't seem so matter of fact (given our figures are estimates). Also, maybe provide a disclaimer on the front page: *Treat our figures as estimates (something to that affect). 

Potential name(s)

GameChart
SalesVG
GameT (for "tally" or "tallies" — catchy, but to the point)

Just some ideas 

XXVGCZXXSEPHIROTH1999.COM?

Bring the site right up to the 20th Century!