By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Returnal Review Thread - Current 86 Metacritic / 86 Open Critic

Was really hoping for a next gen version of resogun in the form of a new IP...this seems a bit off from that. But super relieved that the reviews are good :) Will be getting this day 1!!

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Around the Network

Housemarqe never misses their shot.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

KLXVER said:
Signalstar said:

So you agree with me. Glad to see it.

Why would you say that unless you work for Sony or developers making games for it? I dont get it. Did the "Games are getting more expensive to make" line work that well on you?

I'm not sure what you are asking me.

I personally do not care what price other people pay for their games. That is their business.

I have not bought a PS5 yet. I have not paid $70 for a new game yet either. I do not plan on doing either in the near future.

In fact the last new PS games I bought new were Tony Hawk 1+2 and Crash Bandicoot 4 both of which I paid around $40 for. Before that I paid around $20 for a new copy of Dreams.

Actually I find Nintendo and Switch games are the most costly. I usually have the hold my nose when buying those games. Even though they are several years old I paid close to $60 for BOTW, Odyssey, MK 8 Deluxe, and Bayonetta 2. I want to buy Smash Ultimate and it is still close to full price. Hell I bought Zelda Spirit Tracks DS for $50 out of box used.

What I am saying is that I think it is illogical to expect recent purchasers of a PS5 who spent more than $500 for the console would be overly price conscious and skip out on a highly rated new exclusive game just because it retails at the standard price of new releases. The poster I was responding to said he was willing to pay that price for Ratchet and Clank. I was happy to see that he provided anecdotal evidence that supported my assertion.

And games are getting more expensive to make. That is just a fact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

MS is all rumors about how Starfield could come out this year.

Meanwhile Sony already has Demon's Souls, and Returnal on PS5 with Rachet coming this summer. Horizon 2 and GoW2 are both rumored to launch this holiday as well.

Signalstar said:
KLXVER said:

Why would you say that unless you work for Sony or developers making games for it? I dont get it. Did the "Games are getting more expensive to make" line work that well on you?

I'm not sure what you are asking me.

I personally do not care what price other people pay for their games. That is their business.

I have not bought a PS5 yet. I have not paid $70 for a new game yet either. I do not plan on doing either in the near future.

In fact the last new PS games I bought new were Tony Hawk 1+2 and Crash Bandicoot 4 both of which I paid around $40 for. Before that I paid around $20 for a new copy of Dreams.

Actually I find Nintendo and Switch games are the most costly. I usually have the hold my nose when buying those games. Even though they are several years old I paid close to $60 for BOTW, Odyssey, MK 8 Deluxe, and Bayonetta 2. I want to buy Smash Ultimate and it is still close to full price. Hell I bought Zelda Spirit Tracks DS for $50 out of box used.

What I am saying is that I think it is illogical to expect recent purchasers of a PS5 who spent more than $500 for the console would be overly price conscious and skip out on a highly rated new exclusive game just because it retails at the standard price of new releases. The poster I was responding to said he was willing to pay that price for Ratchet and Clank. I was happy to see that he provided anecdotal evidence that supported my assertion.

And games are getting more expensive to make. That is just a fact.

Games are also selling more than ever and digital sales give them 100% of the earnings. Jacking up the price is just greed. Nothing else. 

Around the Network

Looks like the game lost points to being difficult, one reviewer literally said this isn't "another Uncharted-style mega-franchise for Sony", odd since some almost convinced me that SONY is all about that AAAA experience. There is nothing like this in the market, well done, Homesquare. Props to SONY for not forcing the dev to tone it down and gave them the freedom to achieve their vision. 

Housemarque CEO:
In the age when game publishers are taking less and less creative risks, we are truly thankful to our publishing partner Sony, who has given us an opportunity to work on something very risky and has given fantastic support during the whole project. We are forever grateful for having this opportunity.

Last edited by LurkerJ - on 30 April 2021

Mark my worlds. it would have been a 90+ if it sold for $60 and had the name "Metroid (insert number / name)". Seems like Housemarque did something especial here.

Manlytears said:

Mark my worlds. it would have been a 90+ if it sold for $60 and had the name "Metroid (insert number / name)". Seems like Housemarque did something especial here.

or Uncharted (insert number / name)

I read enough reviews for Returnal to know its not for me. I like Roguelike games and I was really looking forward to Returnal but the mechanics of the game really turns me off. One of the things I like about Roguelikes is that when you die, the permanents you get and the currency you acquire continue to make you want to do another run. This seems to be the opposite of Returnal. It goes out of its way to punish you for each run where everything is a gamble. It does not inform you about the items you can purchase with your ether so you can basically get nothing and lose all your hard earned currency. You basically cannot balance risk versus build of your character which is what makes it fun to keep dieing and trying. The main problem is that they make the loop not fun which I know will result in me losing interest and not playing. At 70 bones, I just do not have the patience to play a game where the Roguelike loop just isn't fun and rewarding.

When you think about some of the best Roguelikes games, they always offer systems that give you the opportunity to build different characters as you continue the loop.  Returnal does not do any of these things which means once you beat it, there isn't really and real reason to come back.  Its not that the game is difficult, its that it doesn't make it fun to want to get good which is a miss in my eyes.

Last edited by Machiavellian - on 29 April 2021

Manlytears said:

I will not mark your worlds down on my map. I am not much a fan of lighthouses. 

But in all seriousness, eh. I think this game has a really really great concept and looks pretty cool. It's the only next-gen game I was actually somewhat hyped for. And it seems like my cautious optimism was worth it! ... But ... It still looks like the movement and gunplay are fairly flaccid and limp, which in a game like this, could even come off as janky if you are playing the game. I'd have to play it myself, but, at least from the gameplay videos, it doesn't seem like those elements are that polished. Whereas pretty much every acclaimed Metroid game polishes every portion of the game to perfection (except I guess the platforming in Prime that you almost never do? lol). 

Edit: Also, the last Metroid game on Metacritic only got an 85, lol. 

Last edited by AngryLittleAlchemist - on 29 April 2021