By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Returnal Review Thread - Current 86 Metacritic / 86 Open Critic

Manlytears said:

Mark my worlds. it would have been a 90+ if it sold for $60 and had the name "Metroid (insert number / name)". Seems like Housemarque did something especial here.

Except the last Metroid game was Samus Returns which got a 85 Meta..... so............

Around the Network
Manlytears said:

Mark my worlds. it would have been a 90+ if it sold for $60 and had the name "Metroid (insert number / name)". Seems like Housemarque did something especial here.

Cringe

Libara said:
Manlytears said:

Except the last Metroid game was Samus Returns which got a 85 Meta..... so............

Such an overlooked game. They should release a HD version for the Switch. It deserves better.

Manlytears said:

Metroid Prime: Federation Force got a 64 on Metacritic.

KLXVER said:
Manlytears said:

or Uncharted (insert number / name)

very fair good sir.

Around the Network

Returnal seems like a very strong addition to the PS5 library, also 85 is a great score considering the inherent pros and cons of the genre itself. Roguelike games are not for everyone.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Libara said:
Manlytears said:

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

I will not mark your worlds down on my map. I am not much a fan of lighthouses. 

But in all seriousness, eh. I think this game has a really really great concept and looks pretty cool. It's the only next-gen game I was actually somewhat hyped for. And it seems like my cautious optimism was worth it! ... But ... It still looks like the movement and gunplay are fairly flaccid and limp, which in a game like this, could even come off as janky if you are playing the game. I'd have to play it myself, but, at least from the gameplay videos, it doesn't seem like those elements are that polished. Whereas pretty much every acclaimed Metroid game polishes every portion of the game to perfection (except I guess the platforming in Prime that you almost never do? lol). 

Edit: Also, the last Metroid game on Metacritic only got an 85, lol. 

Raven said:

Cringe

Let me explain my point:

I said "Metroid" because it was one of the games that generated the most comparisons with "Returnal". Based on that, my comment was that "the name", without a doubt, adds points to the metacritic.

Example:

Uncharted 92> if it were the same game under another name it would be ~ 87.
Zelda 94> if it were the same game with another name it would be ~ 89.
Metroid 85> if it were the same game under another name it would be ~ 80.
Halo 87> if it were the same game under another name it would be ~ 82.

and then:
Returnal 86 > no big name here > yup, no bonus points for name...

See?
The dear colleague here seems to have understood:

KLXVER said:

or Uncharted (insert number / name)

Also the $60 vs $70 stuff... i realy belives some reviewers are going to be picky... it is kinda controversial, maybe even fair in some cases do measure review on Value of a game. stuff like:

This artistic indie game > it's great, 3h of fun for just 15$ > gain extra points in the score, the review see this as great deal for your money
This Remake > damn, original looks better and only $40! why they are asking $60 on this!? > lower the score, not a good deal.

Last edited by Manlytears - on 29 April 2021

Mmmmm so this thread turned into a Sony vs Nintendo/MS

Can we just be happy this new ip is scoring well and looks like a good game?

Sorry my phone had a stroke

ice said:

Mmmmm so this thread turned into a Sony vs Nintendo/MS

Can we just be happy this new ip is scoring well and looks like a good game?

You are correct. I apologize if I have offended someone's pride here. And yes, 86 is fantastic for a new IP! I hope to see more work by Housemarque, Returnal now is in my list of games that I have to check. Comparisons with Doom, Hades, Metroid, Prometheus (film) really boost my interest.