By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Returnal Review Thread - Current 86 Metacritic / 86 Open Critic

Runa216 said:

Man, I am not sure if I'm cut out for this game! I love playing it, but it took me a full hour just to get to the first boss after exploring tonnes! (only to die after like 3 hits). I do enjoy it but man I can't fathom a run wherein I go through all the biomes and die and have to start back at 1. Is there any sort of checkpoint system at all? Like, after you beat the first boss can you just skip the first world?

If not, I just don't imagine having the patience to play through the whole game. Again, not that it's not good - the gameplay loop is a tonne of fun and the story so far is compelling and the everything else is good - it's just that...I really don't think roguelikes are for me. I thought that before the game came out, then changed my mind when I saw how polished and fun it looked (And I still feel that way), but I get angry if I lose like 15-20 minutes of progress. I just lost an hour's worth of progress and just put the controller down, defeated. I'll try again tomorrow but holy hell, that's disheartening.

I'll keep playing because it is fun and I'm enjoying it but I am not sure I'll have the patience to see it through. any way to alleviate my concerns?

It's the one genre I never know how it will go for me. I couldn't get enough of Tokyo Jungle, very addictive, but game over and start from Day 1 again. (You keep unlocks though like here). Spelunky however, hate it. FTL, I cheated (easy to copy/edit save games on pc). Cavernous wastes (PSVR rogue like) loved it even though it can make it impossible to complete depending on the random upgrades/downgrades you get.

I loved Super Stardust and Nex Machina (even though I suck at it) and will go in with the same mindset. High score game, not a story to complete.

Around the Network
Runa216 said:

Man, I am not sure if I'm cut out for this game! I love playing it, but it took me a full hour just to get to the first boss after exploring tonnes! (only to die after like 3 hits). I do enjoy it but man I can't fathom a run wherein I go through all the biomes and die and have to start back at 1. Is there any sort of checkpoint system at all? Like, after you beat the first boss can you just skip the first world?

If not, I just don't imagine having the patience to play through the whole game. Again, not that it's not good - the gameplay loop is a tonne of fun and the story so far is compelling and the everything else is good - it's just that...I really don't think roguelikes are for me. I thought that before the game came out, then changed my mind when I saw how polished and fun it looked (And I still feel that way), but I get angry if I lose like 15-20 minutes of progress. I just lost an hour's worth of progress and just put the controller down, defeated. I'll try again tomorrow but holy hell, that's disheartening.

I'll keep playing because it is fun and I'm enjoying it but I am not sure I'll have the patience to see it through. any way to alleviate my concerns?

Yikes, this concerns me. Idk if I’ve ever played a rogue like, but I’ve heard so much praise heaped on this that I figured my concerns were invalid. Do you really have to start from the very beginning every time you die?? Even when you get to the final boss?? I do know that you get permanent upgrades from time to time that make the game easier to a degree, but starting back at the beginning still sounds brutal and discouraging. 

pitzy272 said:
Runa216 said:

Yikes, this concerns me. Idk if I’ve ever played a rogue like, but I’ve heard so much praise heaped on this that I figured my concerns were invalid. Do you really have to start from the very beginning every time you die?? Even when you get to the final boss?? I do know that you get permanent upgrades from time to time that make the game easier to a degree, but starting back at the beginning still sounds brutal and discouraging. 

Hynad mentioned you can warp to just after the boss, so I'll be sure to let you know if/when I get there. Seriously though, the game is super fun and the pinnacle of roguelike design from my perspective so it is a fantastic entry in the genre, I am just mildly concerned that even at its best the genre isn't for me. Got Hades on Switch recently, too. Haven't started it. 

I will report back as soon as I know. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:

That is the arcadey type of game we stopped playing on the PS1 days and the start of the claims of "gaming is to easy today".

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

pitzy272 said:
Runa216 said:

Well there are a few systems in the game to help out.  First if you have enough ether you can save for one death.  Also if you pick up the a certain item (Trying not to spoil) it will also allow you one death.  Once you unlock the room to the first boss, you can sometimes get there very quickly and if you beat the boss you can also not fight it again and go to the next level.  With that said, every death will start you at the beginning and to have any chance of beating the first boss, having enough items on your first run helps alot.  This is were the big risk comes into play.  You can play for hours hit the wrong room die and all your progress pretty much gone.  It is what it is and if such games is frustrating for you then Returnal will not change your mind.  The game is fun but it does comes with a large dose of frustration and any slip in concentration and well you understand.  So far I am still enjoying it but I would say Hades is still my favorite roguelike game

Around the Network
pitzy272 said:
Fei-Hung said:

Really enjoying this. Have got my butt handed to me by the first boss 4 times. My issue is me. I know the patterns but I haven't got the patience so I try rush things and die.

Just a couple of things I really enjoy:

1) the haptics. Didn't think it would work half way press and full press but omg this is amazing and it actually works for me.

2) the use of the speaker in the controller to let you know when alt fire is ready and other bits is perfect. They made good use of this on their ps4 games too and are one of the developers who have been utilising PS controllers since last gen.

3) audio is amazing with headphones. Hearing sounds of the environment and enemies is great.

4) Rumble. The first time u feel a parasite latch on to you and how real it feels. The way the rumble is handled is amazing.

5) load times. Holy shit this game loads quick.

I think I know the answer, but would you prefer the 3D audio of the headphones or the cool sound effects you get from the controller? Wish there was a way for you to be able to have both. :/

I would like both really. As you said it's a shame you can't have both. But I think my headphones do a good enough job. 

The magic of the dualsense is the vibration and rumble creating an illusion like experience that trick you into feeling more than what you have sometime. 

Still at 86 with 92 reviews! A bonafide hit if you ask me!

New Pokemon Snap is also doing well with 81 after 52 reviews! both are so good!

April 30th is/was a good day to be a console owner.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:

Still at 86 with 92 reviews! A bonafide hit if you ask me!

New Pokemon Snap is also doing well with 81 after 52 reviews! both are so good!

April 30th is/was a good day to be a console owner.

Both are healthy reviews.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."