By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Returnal Review Thread - Current 86 Metacritic / 86 Open Critic

Man, Sony has to fix their damn PS Store advertising. Returnal was front and center on the front page of PS Store, yesterday, but today it’s no where to be found. You would have no idea Returnal just released, unless you follow game news—which most people don’t. So frustrating how bad and disjointed Sony is with certain things. A new game release should have a massive banner for weeks—ESPECIALLY a game they published and want to succeed.

Around the Network

It's yesterday's news, old hat, done with. Why are you still playing it :p

It's still plastered across the screen on the web store, at least here it is.

So even though I had some misgivings about Returnal, I went ahead and got it because I needed another game that utilizes everything on the hardware. First up is the sound, I have to give a lot of credit to the devs they have done a great job with the sound and using my Sony MX3 headphones you really do get that positional 3D audio. Not sure if its the game changer that Cerny was talking about but it does work. The game does have the addictive side of play one more but it also has that big risk of putting to much time exploring every nock and cranny and then dyeing losing all your progress. I have not completed the game just yet but since I am just enjoying the atmosphere and unlocking weapon abilities, I am not to concerned. I have only died 3 times so its not like I have put a lot of time into the game so far but I have watched a few streams to know it does ramp up in difficulty the deaper you go.

pitzy272 said:

Man, Sony has to fix their damn PS Store advertising. Returnal was front and center on the front page of PS Store, yesterday, but today it’s no where to be found. You would have no idea Returnal just released, unless you follow game news—which most people don’t. So frustrating how bad and disjointed Sony is with certain things. A new game release should have a massive banner for weeks—ESPECIALLY a game they published and want to succeed.

It's still on my front page

"Quagmire, are you the type of guy who takes 'no' for an answer ?"
"My lawyer doesn't allow me to answer that question"

PSN ID: skmblake | Feel free to add me

SKMBlake said:
pitzy272 said:

The US PSN store tends to be very differently designed than the EU/AU/JP ones.
The menu order is different, and I see movies appearing, even when trying to get to the games.

Last edited by Hiku - on 03 May 2021

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

It's yesterday's news, old hat, done with. Why are you still playing it :p

It's still plastered across the screen on the web store, at least here it is.

SKMBlake said:
pitzy272 said:

What country are each of you from? I’m from the US. 

Hiku said:
SKMBlake said:

The menu order is different, and I see movies appearing, even when trying to get to the games.

So is Returnal gone from the main screen for you as well?

pitzy272 said:
Hiku said:

So is Returnal gone from the main screen for you as well?

I’m in Canada. The store is usually pretty much the same as in the US, as far as I know. And Returnal is literally the first thing that showed up.

Last edited by Hynad - on 03 May 2021

Game is pretty awesome.
The particle effects are incredible.

But... The low internal resolution (Before upscaling) really makes allot of assets look rather poor.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Really enjoying this. Have got my butt handed to me by the first boss 4 times. My issue is me. I know the patterns but I haven't got the patience so I try rush things and die.

Just a couple of things I really enjoy:

1) the haptics. Didn't think it would work half way press and full press but omg this is amazing and it actually works for me.

2) the use of the speaker in the controller to let you know when alt fire is ready and other bits is perfect. They made good use of this on their ps4 games too and are one of the developers who have been utilising PS controllers since last gen.

3) audio is amazing with headphones. Hearing sounds of the environment and enemies is great.

4) Rumble. The first time u feel a parasite latch on to you and how real it feels. The way the rumble is handled is amazing.

5) load times. Holy shit this game loads quick.