By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Returnal Review Thread - Current 86 Metacritic / 86 Open Critic

SvennoJ said:

It's yesterday's news, old hat, done with. Why are you still playing it :p

It's still plastered across the screen on the web store, at least here it is.

SKMBlake said:
pitzy272 said:

Man, Sony has to fix their damn PS Store advertising. Returnal was front and center on the front page of PS Store, yesterday, but today it’s no where to be found. You would have no idea Returnal just released, unless you follow game news—which most people don’t. So frustrating how bad and disjointed Sony is with certain things. A new game release should have a massive banner for weeks—ESPECIALLY a game they published and want to succeed.

It's still on my front page

What country are each of you from? I’m from the US. 

Around the Network
Hiku said:
SKMBlake said:

The US PSN store tends to be very differently designed than the EU/AU/JP ones.
The menu order is different, and I see movies appearing, even when trying to get to the games.

So is Returnal gone from the main screen for you as well?

pitzy272 said:
Hiku said:

The US PSN store tends to be very differently designed than the EU/AU/JP ones.
The menu order is different, and I see movies appearing, even when trying to get to the games.

I’m in Canada. The store is usually pretty much the same as in the US, as far as I know. And Returnal is literally the first thing that showed up.

Last edited by Hynad - on 03 May 2021

Game is pretty awesome.
The particle effects are incredible.

But... The low internal resolution (Before upscaling) really makes allot of assets look rather poor.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Really enjoying this. Have got my butt handed to me by the first boss 4 times. My issue is me. I know the patterns but I haven't got the patience so I try rush things and die.

Just a couple of things I really enjoy:

1) the haptics. Didn't think it would work half way press and full press but omg this is amazing and it actually works for me.

2) the use of the speaker in the controller to let you know when alt fire is ready and other bits is perfect. They made good use of this on their ps4 games too and are one of the developers who have been utilising PS controllers since last gen.

3) audio is amazing with headphones. Hearing sounds of the environment and enemies is great.

4) Rumble. The first time u feel a parasite latch on to you and how real it feels. The way the rumble is handled is amazing.

5) load times. Holy shit this game loads quick.

Around the Network
Hynad said:
pitzy272 said:

I’m in Canada. The store is usually pretty much the same as in the US, as far as I know. And Returnal is literally the first thing that showed up.

That’s exactly how it was for me initially Friday. Hmm...I wonder if it stopped showing Returnal after I bought it Saturday, bc they knew they didn’t need to advertise it to me any longer. Wonder if anyone else who bought Returnal had the same thing happen...

Fei-Hung said:

Really enjoying this. Have got my butt handed to me by the first boss 4 times. My issue is me. I know the patterns but I haven't got the patience so I try rush things and die.

Just a couple of things I really enjoy:

1) the haptics. Didn't think it would work half way press and full press but omg this is amazing and it actually works for me.

2) the use of the speaker in the controller to let you know when alt fire is ready and other bits is perfect. They made good use of this on their ps4 games too and are one of the developers who have been utilising PS controllers since last gen.

3) audio is amazing with headphones. Hearing sounds of the environment and enemies is great.

4) Rumble. The first time u feel a parasite latch on to you and how real it feels. The way the rumble is handled is amazing.

5) load times. Holy shit this game loads quick.

I think I know the answer, but would you prefer the 3D audio of the headphones or the cool sound effects you get from the controller? Wish there was a way for you to be able to have both. :/

pitzy272 said:
SvennoJ said:

It's yesterday's news, old hat, done with. Why are you still playing it :p

It's still plastered across the screen on the web store, at least here it is.

SKMBlake said:

What country are each of you from? I’m from the US. 

Canada as well. Weird that the US store is different.

Buying it digitally, could have an effect. I ordered it off Amazon, no effect.
However for all promotions anything I already have simply says unavailable, it's still listed and advertised.

Man, I am not sure if I'm cut out for this game! I love playing it, but it took me a full hour just to get to the first boss after exploring tonnes! (only to die after like 3 hits). I do enjoy it but man I can't fathom a run wherein I go through all the biomes and die and have to start back at 1. Is there any sort of checkpoint system at all? Like, after you beat the first boss can you just skip the first world?

If not, I just don't imagine having the patience to play through the whole game. Again, not that it's not good - the gameplay loop is a tonne of fun and the story so far is compelling and the everything else is good - it's just that...I really don't think roguelikes are for me. I thought that before the game came out, then changed my mind when I saw how polished and fun it looked (And I still feel that way), but I get angry if I lose like 15-20 minutes of progress. I just lost an hour's worth of progress and just put the controller down, defeated. I'll try again tomorrow but holy hell, that's disheartening.

I'll keep playing because it is fun and I'm enjoying it but I am not sure I'll have the patience to see it through. any way to alleviate my concerns?

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:

Man, I am not sure if I'm cut out for this game! I love playing it, but it took me a full hour just to get to the first boss after exploring tonnes! (only to die after like 3 hits). I do enjoy it but man I can't fathom a run wherein I go through all the biomes and die and have to start back at 1. Is there any sort of checkpoint system at all? Like, after you beat the first boss can you just skip the first world?

If not, I just don't imagine having the patience to play through the whole game. Again, not that it's not good - the gameplay loop is a tonne of fun and the story so far is compelling and the everything else is good - it's just that...I really don't think roguelikes are for me. I thought that before the game came out, then changed my mind when I saw how polished and fun it looked (And I still feel that way), but I get angry if I lose like 15-20 minutes of progress. I just lost an hour's worth of progress and just put the controller down, defeated. I'll try again tomorrow but holy hell, that's disheartening.

I'll keep playing because it is fun and I'm enjoying it but I am not sure I'll have the patience to see it through. any way to alleviate my concerns?

Haven’t played it yet, but I know that after you beat a boss, you don’t have to fight it again and can fast travel after that part. Or something along those lines.