By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Returnal Review Thread - Current 86 Metacritic / 86 Open Critic

Congratulations. The trailer was really good and the reviews are great, but seems like it isn't the type of game for me.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:

Congratulations. The trailer was really good and the reviews are great, but seems like it isn't the type of game for me.

waiting for the PC/PS4 port

Agente42 said:
DonFerrari said:

You’ll wait a long time.

Hynad said:
Agente42 said:

You’ll wait a long time.

yeah, have a bunch of games to play here.

dx11332sega said:
Runa216 said:

watch some gameplay vids. Shmup is a very apt descriptor of how the third person shooting elements are handled. 

Ok I'm not knowledgable of other shmups , But , I guess I'll consider it shmup in 3d ? IDK? But, I only know the Traditional type of 2d shmups like traditional vertical and horizontal either flight or walking, though , there's the on rail shooters also called shmups but not traditionally? You know I think I need to research this more . Thanks . Hope Sony buys Housemarquee So, Sony can unleash House Marquee full potencial. This studio is amazing .

Yeah, One of the things that made me reconsider my stance on the game was that it looked like an accurate translation of the Shoot-Em-Up genre to a third person game. We've seen top down and in the case of Furi, from behind, but this is a third person shooter that has plenty of elements of shoot-em-ups. Enemies shoot waves of balls and lasers at you, you have to use your nimble abilities to jump, dash, and attack back. It's a shoot-em-up in the truest form, it's just not 2D. 

I do love shmups, so that made me think this game looked fun. Then I saw more gameplay and read the reviews and picked it up immediately. I do not regret this.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
pitzy272 said:

#11 on Amazon and has been consistently moving up! Way better than I expected. I’m even more impressed by this, bc I feel like a higher than normal proportion of people will buy this digitally, bc it still has a low/medium budget feel to it, as well as being a new IP. I’m planning on buying digital for these reasons, despite buying most games physical.

I think a lot of people slept on this until they saw the reviews. I had no plans of buying it at full price until I saw reviews and listened to some podcasts. Now, I plan to buy tonight. 

I had never even heard of the game until today and bought it off Amazon after reading a couple reviews. Nice surprise, always had good times with Housemarque. Awesome to see them make the leap to a so called full game.

I’m surprised you had never heard of it, but that’s awesome you bought it that quick haha. I just bought it digitally 2min ago and am waiting now for it to download.

Man, Sony has to fix their damn PS Store advertising. Returnal was front and center on the front page of PS Store, yesterday, but today it’s no where to be found. You would have no idea Returnal just released, unless you follow game news—which most people don’t. So frustrating how bad and disjointed Sony is with certain things. A new game release should have a massive banner for weeks—ESPECIALLY a game they published and want to succeed.

It's yesterday's news, old hat, done with. Why are you still playing it :p

It's still plastered across the screen on the web store, at least here it is.

So even though I had some misgivings about Returnal, I went ahead and got it because I needed another game that utilizes everything on the hardware. First up is the sound, I have to give a lot of credit to the devs they have done a great job with the sound and using my Sony MX3 headphones you really do get that positional 3D audio. Not sure if its the game changer that Cerny was talking about but it does work. The game does have the addictive side of play one more but it also has that big risk of putting to much time exploring every nock and cranny and then dyeing losing all your progress. I have not completed the game just yet but since I am just enjoying the atmosphere and unlocking weapon abilities, I am not to concerned. I have only died 3 times so its not like I have put a lot of time into the game so far but I have watched a few streams to know it does ramp up in difficulty the deaper you go.

pitzy272 said:

Man, Sony has to fix their damn PS Store advertising. Returnal was front and center on the front page of PS Store, yesterday, but today it’s no where to be found. You would have no idea Returnal just released, unless you follow game news—which most people don’t. So frustrating how bad and disjointed Sony is with certain things. A new game release should have a massive banner for weeks—ESPECIALLY a game they published and want to succeed.

It's still on my front page