By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Returnal Review Thread - Current 86 Metacritic / 86 Open Critic

Sleeper hit of the year!

Around the Network
ice said:

Mmmmm so this thread turned into a Sony vs Nintendo/MS

Can we just be happy this new ip is scoring well and looks like a good game?

This.

Topic is about Returnal and the reviews it's getting. So, let's stay focused on that. This is your everyone's in thread warning, so doing otherwise may (and likely will) lead to some kind of moderation. 

Hynad said:
KLXVER said:

It looks fun. Will most likely pick it up sometime after I get a PS5. Just not for full price.

Full price, which stands at 89.99$ here in Canada, is ludicrously expensive.

you should make sure you don't go to Australia. Games there have been 100+ in some cases for years, and CAD to AUD is pretty much on par. (I'm also Canadian)

Also, based on what I've experienced so far....89.99 is worth it for Returnal. Strange, since I was one of the ones who used to say Returnal looked like it wasn't worth it. I used to straight up say that it was the least interesting PS5 exclusive shown thus far. However, now that I've played it, I'll encourage you to rethink your stance a bit on its value. It really is as good as the reviewers say, and while it seems repetitive from afar, the actual gameplay loop makes its 25-50 hour play time (more if you are the kind of person who replays games or goes for 100%) is absolutely engaging and fun. 

I'm only a few cycles through its loop, but I'm liking it a lot. I will obviously update and alter my thoughts on the game as time goes on; if it turns out the late game sucks or it gets boring far before I actually finish it, then I'll say so. As for now, I am a convert. I went from thinking this game was the lamest on Sony's docket to one of the most original and unique games I've played in a while. Plus it's a new IP. That matters. I don't see much potential for a sequel, though. Nothing wrong with one-offs. 

As for the console wars cropping up again...I mean, it is an exclusive. Of course that's going to happen. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Bought the game off Amazon, CAD 102 here after tax. Worth it. I don't have a ps5 yet but don't mind paying full price for a Housemarque game. Plus I'll have a nice shiny ps5 game box to look at while waiting for a ps5 to become available here.

Runa216 said:
Hynad said:

Full price, which stands at 89.99$ here in Canada, is ludicrously expensive.

you should make sure you don't go to Australia. Games there have been 100+ in some cases for years, and CAD to AUD is pretty much on par. (I'm also Canadian)

Also, based on what I've experienced so far....89.99 is worth it for Returnal. Strange, since I was one of the ones who used to say Returnal looked like it wasn't worth it. I used to straight up say that it was the least interesting PS5 exclusive shown thus far. However, now that I've played it, I'll encourage you to rethink your stance a bit on its value. It really is as good as the reviewers say, and while it seems repetitive from afar, the actual gameplay loop makes its 25-50 hour play time (more if you are the kind of person who replays games or goes for 100%) is absolutely engaging and fun. 

I'm only a few cycles through its loop, but I'm liking it a lot. I will obviously update and alter my thoughts on the game as time goes on; if it turns out the late game sucks or it gets boring far before I actually finish it, then I'll say so. As for now, I am a convert. I went from thinking this game was the lamest on Sony's docket to one of the most original and unique games I've played in a while. Plus it's a new IP. That matters. I don't see much potential for a sequel, though. Nothing wrong with one-offs. 

As for the console wars cropping up again...I mean, it is an exclusive. Of course that's going to happen. 

GST, “high wages” and because we are “far away” from the rest of the world makes everything more expensive. As an example, a USD$300 tv in the US is about AUD700-800 over here. Even if the AUD is not half the value of USD.

As for this game in particular, and many others like Ratchet and Clank: Drift Apart, surprisingly, the most expensive retailer here (EB Games) is having a promotion where you can trade-in 2 games valued at $10 and pay an extra $49 to have the game. 

So if you find any cheap games that cost $10/each and the trade-in value is $10 or more, you could end up getting this game and ratchet and clank for AUD69 each. And that’s what I did :)

Last edited by kazuyamishima - on 30 April 2021

Around the Network
Random_Matt said:

We will see how it does in sales.

#11 on Amazon and has been consistently moving up! Way better than I expected. I’m even more impressed by this, bc I feel like a higher than normal proportion of people will buy this digitally, bc it still has a low/medium budget feel to it, as well as being a new IP. I’m planning on buying digital for these reasons, despite buying most games physical.

I think a lot of people slept on this until they saw the reviews. I had no plans of buying it at full price until I saw reviews and listened to some podcasts. Now, I plan to buy tonight. 

kazuyamishima said:

The game is sold out at Amazon UK and charting high in Europe, US and ROTW.

Yes, that’s amazing! I was genuinely concerned for Housemarque, bc I felt like Returnal was destined to fail as a result of the high price. Thought they may be at risk for going under. I’m very pleasantly surprised that so many people are paying that $70 price. I’ll be buying it likely tonight as well.

I know it’s at #11 on Amazon US, but do you have any info on where it’s at in other countries?

Last edited by pitzy272 - on 30 April 2021

pitzy272 said:
Random_Matt said:

We will see how it does in sales.

#11 on Amazon and has been consistently moving up! Way better than I expected. I’m even more impressed by this, bc I feel like a higher than normal proportion of people will buy this digitally, bc it still has a low/medium budget feel to it, as well as being a new IP. I’m planning on buying digital for these reasons, despite buying most games physical.

I think a lot of people slept on this until they saw the reviews. I had no plans of buying it at full price until I saw reviews and listened to some podcasts. Now, I plan to buy tonight. 

I had never even heard of the game until today and bought it off Amazon after reading a couple reviews. Nice surprise, always had good times with Housemarque. Awesome to see them make the leap to a so called full game.

Developer is playing coy, but I get impression they will be adding mid-run resume (auto-save).

dx11332sega said:

Someone told me here on VGchartz it's a shmup but, I checked wikipedia it says It's roguelike , third person shooter.

Anyway's Great score , I don't want to reiterate what I said on Playstation nation here since this the gaming thread not playstation thread.

watch some gameplay vids. Shmup is a very apt descriptor of how the third person shooting elements are handled. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android