By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch Turns Four!

 

Rank the Switch as a console!

10 25 25.77%
 
9 33 34.02%
 
8 26 26.80%
 
7 7 7.22%
 
6 2 2.06%
 
5 0 0%
 
4 2 2.06%
 
3 2 2.06%
 
2 0 0%
 
1 0 0%
 
Total:97
curl-6 said:
Shiken said:

Splatoon 2
Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade 2
Mario Plus Rabbids
ARMs
Xenoblade Torna (stand alone game release)
Fire Emblem Warriors
Age of Calamity
Cadence of Hyrule
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
Luigi's Mansion 3
Mario Maker 2
Paper Mario OK
Kirby Star Allies
Yoshi's Crafted World
Link's Awakening Remake
Smash Ultimate
Astral Chain
Animal Crossing New Horizons

I dunno man, I just listed over 20 non cross gen true exclusives off the top of my head (and there are more than I listed).  Saying the Switch doesn't seem to have a lot of them doesn't seem to make sense.  I think it is safe to assume that any Nintendo IP, be it 1st or 2nd party, will not be going to any other platforms in the near future.  Now 3rd party exclusives sure, outside of whatever contract Nintendo has with the publisher, I can see most of them at least going to PC.

But to accumulate a list like this in just 4 years, which puts PS4 and XB1 to shame in their first 4 years without even counting "console exclusives" or WiiU ports...I would call that anything but a small number of true exclusives.

I see a lot of people try to spin that the Switch mainly just has WiiU ports pushing the console, but that clearly isn't the case and when you break it down it looks like more of a reach than anything else.

So while exclusives are indeed less common in the industry these days, I feel like Nintendo will be the outlier (as they are in so many things).  As long as Nintendo is making consoles, 1st and 2nd party Switch games are pretty much a lock to be true exclusives.

That's still a relatively small list of exclusives compared to say, the Wii, and even then Fire Emblem Warriors and Link's Awakening aren't exclusives and Torna is an expansion.

That said, Switch is a long way from done so over its remaining life it could bulk up and accumulate an exclusives list more in line with what I'd expect from a successful Nintendo system.

Torna was deaigned as an expansion, but became something more and got its own full release as a game.  I have the physical game card myself, and you do not need Xenoblade 2 to play it.  It is about 30-40 hours long, and by definition a stand alone game.

Full on remakes like Link's Awakening are considered new games, so it makes the list.

You are correct about Fire Emblem Warriors, as I forgot about the 3DS version.  So for the sake of consistency, just replace it with Pokemon Sword or Shield.

The Wii is not a very good example, as it had a radically different control scheme that its games were built off of.  3rd parties pretty much HAD to keep Wii games exclusive without making changes to work with a regular controller (till the PS move was released anyway), so it wasn't really worth the time to port.  So what you really need to look at is 1st and 2nd party comparisons.

What it is comparable to however, is the PS360 from the same generation.  Aside from 1st and 2nd party, most 3rd party games were multiplat.  Hell even many 360 3rd party exclusives still found their way to the PS3 by the end of the generation.

So the current exclusive landscape really isn't any different from say 10 years ago, except MS games and some Sony games are now going to PC.  Nintendo has been the outlier in all of this, and have not really changed how they handle exclusive content.  And given how Nintendo does things, I don't see that changing while they are still in the hardware business.



Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
Shiken said:
curl-6 said:

That's still a relatively small list of exclusives compared to say, the Wii, and even then Fire Emblem Warriors and Link's Awakening aren't exclusives and Torna is an expansion.

That said, Switch is a long way from done so over its remaining life it could bulk up and accumulate an exclusives list more in line with what I'd expect from a successful Nintendo system.

Torna was deaigned as an expansion, but became something more and got its own full release as a game.  I have the physical game card myself, and you do not need Xenoblade 2 to play it.  It is about 30-40 hours long, and by definition a stand alone game.

Full on remakes like Link's Awakening are considered new games, so it makes the list.

You are correct about Fire Emblem Warriors, as I forgot about the 3DS version.  So for the sake of consistency, just replace it with Pokemon Sword or Shield.

The Wii is not a very good example, as it had a radically different control scheme that its games were built off of.  3rd parties pretty much HAD to keep Wii games exclusive without making changes to work with a regular controller (till the PS move was released anyway), so it wasn't really worth the time to port.  So what you really need to look at is 1st and 2nd party comparisons.

What it is comparable to however, is the PS360 from the same generation.  Aside from 1st and 2nd party, most 3rd party games were multiplat.  Hell even many 360 3rd party exclusives still found their way to the PS3 by the end of the generation.

So the current exclusive landscape really isn't any different from say 10 years ago, except MS games and some Sony games are now going to PC.  Nintendo has been the outlier in all of this, and have not really changed how they handle exclusive content.  And given how Nintendo does things, I don't see that changing while they are still in the hardware business.

Torna was designed as an expansion and it remained one; it is not its own game, and remakes are not new games either.

I stand by most of Switch's best first party content being recycled Wii U ports, and its actual exclusive lineup being subpar by Nintendo standards.

It's a Nintendo system so that's what I'll compare it against, and when set next to their other stronger efforts it falls short thus far.

Again though, it's a long way from done hopefully so by the end of its life it may have surpassed them all, but this is why I give it an 8/10 and not a 10/10 at this date.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 05 March 2021

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
Shiken said:

Torna was deaigned as an expansion, but became something more and got its own full release as a game.  I have the physical game card myself, and you do not need Xenoblade 2 to play it.  It is about 30-40 hours long, and by definition a stand alone game.

Full on remakes like Link's Awakening are considered new games, so it makes the list.

You are correct about Fire Emblem Warriors, as I forgot about the 3DS version.  So for the sake of consistency, just replace it with Pokemon Sword or Shield.

The Wii is not a very good example, as it had a radically different control scheme that its games were built off of.  3rd parties pretty much HAD to keep Wii games exclusive without making changes to work with a regular controller (till the PS move was released anyway), so it wasn't really worth the time to port.  So what you really need to look at is 1st and 2nd party comparisons.

What it is comparable to however, is the PS360 from the same generation.  Aside from 1st and 2nd party, most 3rd party games were multiplat.  Hell even many 360 3rd party exclusives still found their way to the PS3 by the end of the generation.

So the current exclusive landscape really isn't any different from say 10 years ago, except MS games and some Sony games are now going to PC.  Nintendo has been the outlier in all of this, and have not really changed how they handle exclusive content.  And given how Nintendo does things, I don't see that changing while they are still in the hardware business.

Torna was designed as an expansion and it remained one; it is not its own game, and remakes are not new games either.

I stand by most of Switch's best first party content being recycled Wii U ports, and its actual exclusive lineup being subpar by Nintendo standards.

It's a Nintendo system so that's what I'll compare it against, and when set next to their other stronger efforts it falls short thus far.

Again though, it's a long way from done hopefully so by the end of its life it may have surpassed them all, but this is why I give it an 8/10 and not a 10/10 at this date.

If Torna is not a stand alone prequel game, what can I walk into walmart and buy a physical copy, and play it without the need of to own or play Xenoblade 2?

DLC is content added to a game, Torna is its own game with its own 30-40 hour length.

Your Link's Awakening logic is fine as long as you look at Miles Morales and Demon Souls as DLC and a remaster as well.  (you probably do though, which is fine).

Your preference of WiiU ports is your opinion.  I enjoyed the new content more and I did not even have a WiiU for games outside of the Zelda ports, so we will have to agree to disagree here.  You have every right to that stance, it is the people who never even owned a WiiU or Switch saying it that comes off as reaching downplay.

Last edited by Shiken - on 05 March 2021

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:
curl-6 said:

Torna was designed as an expansion and it remained one; it is not its own game, and remakes are not new games either.

I stand by most of Switch's best first party content being recycled Wii U ports, and its actual exclusive lineup being subpar by Nintendo standards.

It's a Nintendo system so that's what I'll compare it against, and when set next to their other stronger efforts it falls short thus far.

Again though, it's a long way from done hopefully so by the end of its life it may have surpassed them all, but this is why I give it an 8/10 and not a 10/10 at this date.

If Torna is not a stand alone prequel game, what can I walk into walmart and buy a physical copy, and play it without the need of to own or play Xenoblade 2?

DLC is content added to a game, Torna is its own game with its own 30-40 hour length.

Your Link's Awakening logic is fine as long as you look at Miles Morales and Demon Souls as DLC and a remaster as well.  (you probably do though, which is fine).

Your preference of WiiU ports is your opinion.  I enjoyed the new content more and I did not even have a WiiU for games outside of the Zelda ports, so we will have to agree to disagree here.  You have every right to thay stance, it is the people who never even owned a WiiU or Switch saying it that comes off as reaching downplay.

I'm sure I can remember other expansions getting their own releases back in the day, on PC in particular? Personally I wish it was more common as I would've bought Bowser's Fury day 1 had I been able to do so without re-buying 3D World.

And yeah I view Miles Morales as an expansion and Demon's Souls as a remaster.

Fair enough, I will say that as a Wii U owner I still really love the Switch. I just feel it has room for improvement, and hopefully it will do just that as all signs seem to point to it still having years left to go. 



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

PAOerfulone said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Link's Awakening is a full on remake, so it is indeed an exclusive.

Remakes =/= Exclusives

I can just as easily play the original game on the Game Boy or DX on the Game Boy Color or the Virtual Console re-release on the 3DS.

The original game and the remake are drastically different in graphics. That makes them two different games.



Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Shiken said:

Torna was deaigned as an expansion, but became something more and got its own full release as a game.  I have the physical game card myself, and you do not need Xenoblade 2 to play it.  It is about 30-40 hours long, and by definition a stand alone game.

Full on remakes like Link's Awakening are considered new games, so it makes the list.

You are correct about Fire Emblem Warriors, as I forgot about the 3DS version.  So for the sake of consistency, just replace it with Pokemon Sword or Shield.

The Wii is not a very good example, as it had a radically different control scheme that its games were built off of.  3rd parties pretty much HAD to keep Wii games exclusive without making changes to work with a regular controller (till the PS move was released anyway), so it wasn't really worth the time to port.  So what you really need to look at is 1st and 2nd party comparisons.

What it is comparable to however, is the PS360 from the same generation.  Aside from 1st and 2nd party, most 3rd party games were multiplat.  Hell even many 360 3rd party exclusives still found their way to the PS3 by the end of the generation.

So the current exclusive landscape really isn't any different from say 10 years ago, except MS games and some Sony games are now going to PC.  Nintendo has been the outlier in all of this, and have not really changed how they handle exclusive content.  And given how Nintendo does things, I don't see that changing while they are still in the hardware business.

Torna was designed as an expansion and it remained one; it is not its own game, and remakes are not new games either.

I stand by most of Switch's best first party content being recycled Wii U ports, and its actual exclusive lineup being subpar by Nintendo standards.

It's a Nintendo system so that's what I'll compare it against, and when set next to their other stronger efforts it falls short thus far.

Again though, it's a long way from done hopefully so by the end of its life it may have surpassed them all, but this is why I give it an 8/10 and not a 10/10 at this date.

If I were in your perspective, I'd say the Switch blows. I mean we're looking at the following for exclusives if we leave out remakes/ports/remasters and Torna...

2017
Super Mario Odyssey
Mario X Rabbids
Xenoblade 2
Splatoon 2

2018
Smash Ultimate
Mario Tennis Aces
Super Mario Party
Kirby Star Allies

2019
Poke'mon Sword/Shield
Luigi's Mansion 3
Astral Chain
Yoshi's Crafted World
Super Mario Maker 2
Fire Emblem Three Houses

2020
Animal Crossing
Age of Calamity
Origami King
51 Worldwide Classics


Luckily for me I don't see it that way. I think Torna, Let's Go, Link's Awakening, and Xenoblade Remake should all count for something.



Neat system.

Some disappointing first party games like Xenoblade 2, Yoshi's Crafted World, plus my lack of interest in Three Houses.

But the rest is cool, games like Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, Star Allies, Luigi's Mansion 3 are the peak of their respective series for me. Pokemon Sword reminded me of my time with Gen 5. The Origami King reaches the highs of 64 and Super in its own way. Ring Fit Adventure is fantastic too.

A lot of really neat 3rd party games like Iconoclasts, Sayonara Wild Hearts, The Messenger, The Missing, etc.

Is also becoming a good machine to keep a lot of classics ready to pick up and play, like Neo Geo games, classic Castlevania, ports like the Arland and Dusk Atelier games, Tales of Vesperia, Ys Origin, Wonderful 101, and the like.

Satisfied for the most part both for its original games and the legacy stuff.



Cerebralbore101 said:
curl-6 said:

Torna was designed as an expansion and it remained one; it is not its own game, and remakes are not new games either.

I stand by most of Switch's best first party content being recycled Wii U ports, and its actual exclusive lineup being subpar by Nintendo standards.

It's a Nintendo system so that's what I'll compare it against, and when set next to their other stronger efforts it falls short thus far.

Again though, it's a long way from done hopefully so by the end of its life it may have surpassed them all, but this is why I give it an 8/10 and not a 10/10 at this date.

If I were in your perspective, I'd say the Switch blows. I mean we're looking at the following for exclusives if we leave out remakes/ports/remasters and Torna...

2017
Super Mario Odyssey
Mario X Rabbids
Xenoblade 2
Splatoon 2

2018
Smash Ultimate
Mario Tennis Aces
Super Mario Party
Kirby Star Allies

2019
Poke'mon Sword/Shield
Luigi's Mansion 3
Astral Chain
Yoshi's Crafted World
Super Mario Maker 2
Fire Emblem Three Houses

2020
Animal Crossing
Age of Calamity
Origami King
51 Worldwide Classics


Luckily for me I don't see it that way. I think Torna, Let's Go, Link's Awakening, and Xenoblade Remake should all count for something.

In terms of exclusives I do feel the Switch is weak by Nintendo standards so far, especially as I'm not into most of the games listed.

Still, like I say, the third party support goes a long way to redeeming it, plus games like Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2, and Splatoon 2 are still excellent.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 05 March 2021

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

If I were in your perspective, I'd say the Switch blows. I mean we're looking at the following for exclusives if we leave out remakes/ports/remasters and Torna...

2017
Super Mario Odyssey
Mario X Rabbids
Xenoblade 2
Splatoon 2

2018
Smash Ultimate
Mario Tennis Aces
Super Mario Party
Kirby Star Allies

2019
Poke'mon Sword/Shield
Luigi's Mansion 3
Astral Chain
Yoshi's Crafted World
Super Mario Maker 2
Fire Emblem Three Houses

2020
Animal Crossing
Age of Calamity
Origami King
51 Worldwide Classics


Luckily for me I don't see it that way. I think Torna, Let's Go, Link's Awakening, and Xenoblade Remake should all count for something.

In terms of exclusives I do feel the Switch is weak by Nintendo standards so far, especially as I'm not into most of the games listed.

Still, like I say, the third party support goes a long way to redeeming it, plus games like Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2, and Splatoon 2 are still excellent.

Third parties are mostly multiplat nowadays, we can't really espect them to release as many exclusives as way back in time. The only way to have a door comparison is comparing first parties and second parties 

The last Nintendo console with as many good first and second party games as Switch was SNES

Unless maybe you are thinking on Game Cube, I never had one, so I have no opinion about it. But Switch stomps N64, Wii and Wii U very easily 



IcaroRibeiro said:
curl-6 said:

In terms of exclusives I do feel the Switch is weak by Nintendo standards so far, especially as I'm not into most of the games listed.

Still, like I say, the third party support goes a long way to redeeming it, plus games like Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2, and Splatoon 2 are still excellent.

Third parties are mostly multiplat nowadays, we can't really espect them to release as many exclusives as way back in time. The only way to have a door comparison is comparing first parties and second parties 

The last Nintendo console with as many good first and second party games as Switch was SNES

Unless maybe you are thinking on Game Cube, I never had one, so I have no opinion about it. But Switch stomps N64, Wii and Wii U very easily 

I would actually put Wii and N64 well ahead of Switch-to-date in term of high quality 1st and 2nd party games.

I mean, if I were to list the great-or-close-to-great ones I'd go:

Wii: Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Metroid Prime 3, Xenoblade, DKCR, Mario Kart Wii, Sin & Punishment 2, The Last Story. (10)

N64: Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie + Tooie, F Zero X, Ocarina of Time, Starfox 64. (6)

Switch: BOTW, Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade 2. (4)



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.