By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch Turns Four!

Rank the Switch as a console!

10 25 25.77%

9 33 34.02%

8 26 26.80%

7 7 7.22%

6 2 2.06%

5 0 0%

4 2 2.06%

3 2 2.06%

2 0 0%

1 0 0%

Total:97
curl-6 said:
Shiken said:

Torna was deaigned as an expansion, but became something more and got its own full release as a game.  I have the physical game card myself, and you do not need Xenoblade 2 to play it.  It is about 30-40 hours long, and by definition a stand alone game.

Full on remakes like Link's Awakening are considered new games, so it makes the list.

You are correct about Fire Emblem Warriors, as I forgot about the 3DS version.  So for the sake of consistency, just replace it with Pokemon Sword or Shield.

The Wii is not a very good example, as it had a radically different control scheme that its games were built off of.  3rd parties pretty much HAD to keep Wii games exclusive without making changes to work with a regular controller (till the PS move was released anyway), so it wasn't really worth the time to port.  So what you really need to look at is 1st and 2nd party comparisons.

What it is comparable to however, is the PS360 from the same generation.  Aside from 1st and 2nd party, most 3rd party games were multiplat.  Hell even many 360 3rd party exclusives still found their way to the PS3 by the end of the generation.

So the current exclusive landscape really isn't any different from say 10 years ago, except MS games and some Sony games are now going to PC.  Nintendo has been the outlier in all of this, and have not really changed how they handle exclusive content.  And given how Nintendo does things, I don't see that changing while they are still in the hardware business.

Torna was designed as an expansion and it remained one; it is not its own game, and remakes are not new games either.

I stand by most of Switch's best first party content being recycled Wii U ports, and its actual exclusive lineup being subpar by Nintendo standards.

It's a Nintendo system so that's what I'll compare it against, and when set next to their other stronger efforts it falls short thus far.

Again though, it's a long way from done hopefully so by the end of its life it may have surpassed them all, but this is why I give it an 8/10 and not a 10/10 at this date.

If I were in your perspective, I'd say the Switch blows. I mean we're looking at the following for exclusives if we leave out remakes/ports/remasters and Torna...

Super Mario Odyssey
Mario X Rabbids
Xenoblade 2
Splatoon 2

Smash Ultimate
Mario Tennis Aces
Super Mario Party
Kirby Star Allies

Poke'mon Sword/Shield
Luigi's Mansion 3
Astral Chain
Yoshi's Crafted World
Super Mario Maker 2
Fire Emblem Three Houses

Animal Crossing
Age of Calamity
Origami King
51 Worldwide Classics

Luckily for me I don't see it that way. I think Torna, Let's Go, Link's Awakening, and Xenoblade Remake should all count for something.

Around the Network

Neat system.

Some disappointing first party games like Xenoblade 2, Yoshi's Crafted World, plus my lack of interest in Three Houses.

But the rest is cool, games like Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, Star Allies, Luigi's Mansion 3 are the peak of their respective series for me. Pokemon Sword reminded me of my time with Gen 5. The Origami King reaches the highs of 64 and Super in its own way. Ring Fit Adventure is fantastic too.

A lot of really neat 3rd party games like Iconoclasts, Sayonara Wild Hearts, The Messenger, The Missing, etc.

Is also becoming a good machine to keep a lot of classics ready to pick up and play, like Neo Geo games, classic Castlevania, ports like the Arland and Dusk Atelier games, Tales of Vesperia, Ys Origin, Wonderful 101, and the like.

Satisfied for the most part both for its original games and the legacy stuff.

Cerebralbore101 said:
curl-6 said:

Torna was designed as an expansion and it remained one; it is not its own game, and remakes are not new games either.

I stand by most of Switch's best first party content being recycled Wii U ports, and its actual exclusive lineup being subpar by Nintendo standards.

It's a Nintendo system so that's what I'll compare it against, and when set next to their other stronger efforts it falls short thus far.

Again though, it's a long way from done hopefully so by the end of its life it may have surpassed them all, but this is why I give it an 8/10 and not a 10/10 at this date.

If I were in your perspective, I'd say the Switch blows. I mean we're looking at the following for exclusives if we leave out remakes/ports/remasters and Torna...

Super Mario Odyssey
Mario X Rabbids
Xenoblade 2
Splatoon 2

Smash Ultimate
Mario Tennis Aces
Super Mario Party
Kirby Star Allies

Poke'mon Sword/Shield
Luigi's Mansion 3
Astral Chain
Yoshi's Crafted World
Super Mario Maker 2
Fire Emblem Three Houses

Animal Crossing
Age of Calamity
Origami King
51 Worldwide Classics

Luckily for me I don't see it that way. I think Torna, Let's Go, Link's Awakening, and Xenoblade Remake should all count for something.

In terms of exclusives I do feel the Switch is weak by Nintendo standards so far, especially as I'm not into most of the games listed.

Still, like I say, the third party support goes a long way to redeeming it, plus games like Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2, and Splatoon 2 are still excellent.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 05 March 2021

curl-6 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Super Mario Odyssey
Mario X Rabbids
Xenoblade 2
Splatoon 2

Smash Ultimate
Mario Tennis Aces
Super Mario Party
Kirby Star Allies

Poke'mon Sword/Shield
Luigi's Mansion 3
Astral Chain
Yoshi's Crafted World
Super Mario Maker 2
Fire Emblem Three Houses

Animal Crossing
Age of Calamity
Origami King
51 Worldwide Classics

In terms of exclusives I do feel the Switch is weak by Nintendo standards so far, especially as I'm not into most of the games listed.

Still, like I say, the third party support goes a long way to redeeming it, plus games like Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2, and Splatoon 2 are still excellent.

Third parties are mostly multiplat nowadays, we can't really espect them to release as many exclusives as way back in time. The only way to have a door comparison is comparing first parties and second parties 

The last Nintendo console with as many good first and second party games as Switch was SNES

Unless maybe you are thinking on Game Cube, I never had one, so I have no opinion about it. But Switch stomps N64, Wii and Wii U very easily 

IcaroRibeiro said:
curl-6 said:

Third parties are mostly multiplat nowadays, we can't really espect them to release as many exclusives as way back in time. The only way to have a door comparison is comparing first parties and second parties 

The last Nintendo console with as many good first and second party games as Switch was SNES

Unless maybe you are thinking on Game Cube, I never had one, so I have no opinion about it. But Switch stomps N64, Wii and Wii U very easily 

I would actually put Wii and N64 well ahead of Switch-to-date in term of high quality 1st and 2nd party games.

I mean, if I were to list the great-or-close-to-great ones I'd go:

Wii: Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Metroid Prime 3, Xenoblade, DKCR, Mario Kart Wii, Sin & Punishment 2, The Last Story. (10)

N64: Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie + Tooie, F Zero X, Ocarina of Time, Starfox 64. (6)

Switch: BOTW, Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade 2. (4)

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

I would actually put Wii and N64 well ahead of Switch-to-date in term of high quality 1st and 2nd party games.

Wii: Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Metroid Prime 3, Xenoblade, DKCR, Mario Kart Wii, Sin & Punishment 2, The Last Story. (10)

N64: Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie + Tooie, F Zero X, Ocarina of Time, Starfox 64. (6)

You should say: quality first party games you like. Because you left out a lot of actual quality 1st party games, like Animal Crossing, Super Smash Bros, Fire Emblem, Luigis Mansion. That is the thing, Switch doesn't have a weak first party library compared to previous gens. It may not have the games you desire though. But the games actually released sell millions each, so I guess these are games a lot of people enjoy.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

curl-6 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

I have no idea what a third of your Wii list is supposed to be, but I'm glad you haven't come with 5 different Wii Party titles to make it

On Switch side we got Three Houses, Animal Crossing NH, Ring Fit Adventure, Luigi's Mansion 3 that makes 8 and only in only 4 years, Switch has at least more 5 or 6 first/second party games coming that will absolutely make the list. Potential (among confirmed titles) are Bayonetta, Metroid, Splatoon 3 and BOTW sequel 

(and you forgot Majora's Mask for M64)

Mnementh said:
curl-6 said:

You should say: quality first party games you like. Because you left out a lot of actual quality 1st party games, like Animal Crossing, Super Smash Bros, Fire Emblem, Luigis Mansion. That is the thing, Switch doesn't have a weak first party library compared to previous gens. It may not have the games you desire though. But the games actually released sell millions each, so I guess these are games a lot of people enjoy.

Games I like and games I consider quality are one and the same. Quality is a subjective perception. And sales are a non-factor in what constitutes quality to me. 

IcaroRibeiro said:
curl-6 said:

I have no idea what a third of your Wii list is supposed to be, but I'm glad you haven't come with 5 different Wii Party titles to make it

On Switch side we got Three Houses, Animal Crossing NH, Ring Fit Adventure, Luigi's Mansion 3 that makes 8 and only in only 4 years, Switch has at least more 5 or 6 first/second party games coming that will absolutely make the list. Potential (among confirmed titles) are Bayonetta, Metroid, Splatoon 3 and BOTW sequel 

(and you forgot Majora's Mask for M64)

Luigi's Mansion 3 is a good game, as is Yoshi's Crafted World, I was just counting the great (or close to great) ones.

I do expect Splatoon 3 and BOTW's sequel to make the list as well, but personally I've given up hope on Bayonetta 3 or Metroid Prime 4 ever seeing the light of day.

curl-6 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

For me, Switch needs to have Fire Emblem Three Houses, Astral Chain (Nintendo published, so 2nd party), Luigi's Mansion 3 (2nd party), Smash Ultimate, Animal Crossing New Horizons, and Mario Plus Rabbids (Nintendo published, so 2nd party) added to that list of greats, so thay makes the number 10 for me.

And even with that, I give honorable mention to Paper Mario Origami King (I really enjoyed this, but it could have been better) and Age of Calamity (Also really enjoyed, but not quite a great).

Keep in mind that all of this 2nd party talk is based under the definition of a 2nd party being a 3rd party, that is working with a console maker to produce and exclusive game with the console maker themselves publishing it.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261