By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch Turns Four!

Rank the Switch as a console!

10 25 26.04%

9 32 33.33%

8 26 27.08%

7 7 7.29%

6 2 2.08%

5 0 0%

4 2 2.08%

3 2 2.08%

2 0 0%

1 0 0%

Total:96
PAOerfulone said:

Let's see:

SNES - Turned 4 in late 1994 (Japan), mid 1995 (NA), early-mid 1996 (PAL) - Notable games: Original DKC trilogy, SMW2: Yoshi's Island, Killer Instinct, Dragon Quest VI, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG + a lot of high quality 3rd party titles. And with hardware sales still relatively steady, enough to breakaway from the Genesis and win the 16-bit Console Wars and had a great sendoff before the N64 arrived. Yep, Super Nintendo is still the king. (For now)

N64 - Turned 4 years old in mid-late 2000 (Japan and NA), early-mid 2001 (Europe and Australia) - Notable games: Majora's Mask, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Banjo-Tooie, Pokemon Stadium 2, Paper Mario, Mario Tennis, and Mario Party 3; Pretty solid list with a strong first few titles, including what I consider the best 3D Zelda game pre-BOTW. But that was about it, aside from the few 3rd party games it received that were far better on the PS1 and Dreamcast anyways. And sales had dropped drastically at that point with just 1 year before the GameCube came out, so not what I'd consider a good life post-4th year.

GCN - Turned 4 in late 2005 (mid 2006 in Europe and Australia) - Notable games: Twilight Princess, Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness, and Mario Party 7; ...Damn, that's pretty pathetic. Nothing against those three games. I love Twilight Princess to pieces, but it was also the Wii's launch title so that weakens the impact for the GameCube. Never played Gale of Darkness or Mario Party 7, so I can't comment on those. But you could tell Nintendo gave up on the GameCube at this point and they were chomping at the bit to move on to the Wii.

Wii - Turned 4 in late 2010 - Notable games: Skyward Sword, DKC Returns, Return to Dreamland, Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, Sonic Colors, Mario & Sonic London Olympics, Mario Party 9, and a crap ton of 3rd party titles (even if at least half of them were shovelware.) Another solid list and I'd say even stronger than the N64. I guess the Wii had a better last few years than I originally thought it did. Now that I think about it, maybe they should have rode the Wii for another year so that they'd have time to make sure the Wii U's launch lineup was strong & loaded, and so they could iron out the kinks and fix easy mistakes they made early on (like the name and marketing.) But then again, if they did that, we'd probably have no Switch right now, or at least not until just very recently. So perhaps it worked out better this way.

Wii U - Turned 4 in late 2016 - Do I even have to say it?

TL:DR - It seems like ever since the Super Nintendo, the last one to still have a strong and healthy life post-4th birthday, every other Nintendo console noticeably dropped off in terms of sales and software releases. But the Switch looks poised to break that jinx and really flourish in the 2nd half of its life. (Provided Nintendo doesn't screw it up, which they unfortunately have a habit of doing.)

Good summary.

Just from what we know (and Nintendo keeps their cards close to their chest these days) Switch still has BOTW2, Splatoon 3, Monster Hunter Rise, Pokémon Legends Arceus, the Diamond/Pearl remakes, New Pokemon Snap, Mario Golf Super Rush, Project Triangle Strategy... easily their strongest post-year-4 lineup since the SNES, and there's likely still plenty of major games we don't know about yet as well.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
PAOerfulone said:

Let's see:

SNES - Turned 4 in late 1994 (Japan), mid 1995 (NA), early-mid 1996 (PAL) - Notable games: Original DKC trilogy, SMW2: Yoshi's Island, Killer Instinct, Dragon Quest VI, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG + a lot of high quality 3rd party titles. And with hardware sales still relatively steady, enough to breakaway from the Genesis and win the 16-bit Console Wars and had a great sendoff before the N64 arrived. Yep, Super Nintendo is still the king. (For now)

N64 - Turned 4 years old in mid-late 2000 (Japan and NA), early-mid 2001 (Europe and Australia) - Notable games: Majora's Mask, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Banjo-Tooie, Pokemon Stadium 2, Paper Mario, Mario Tennis, and Mario Party 3; Pretty solid list with a strong first few titles, including what I consider the best 3D Zelda game pre-BOTW. But that was about it, aside from the few 3rd party games it received that were far better on the PS1 and Dreamcast anyways. And sales had dropped drastically at that point with just 1 year before the GameCube came out, so not what I'd consider a good life post-4th year.

GCN - Turned 4 in late 2005 (mid 2006 in Europe and Australia) - Notable games: Twilight Princess, Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness, and Mario Party 7; ...Damn, that's pretty pathetic. Nothing against those three games. I love Twilight Princess to pieces, but it was also the Wii's launch title so that weakens the impact for the GameCube. Never played Gale of Darkness or Mario Party 7, so I can't comment on those. But you could tell Nintendo gave up on the GameCube at this point and they were chomping at the bit to move on to the Wii.

Wii - Turned 4 in late 2010 - Notable games: Skyward Sword, DKC Returns, Return to Dreamland, Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, Sonic Colors, Mario & Sonic London Olympics, Mario Party 9, and a crap ton of 3rd party titles (even if at least half of them were shovelware.) Another solid list and I'd say even stronger than the N64. I guess the Wii had a better last few years than I originally thought it did. Now that I think about it, maybe they should have rode the Wii for another year so that they'd have time to make sure the Wii U's launch lineup was strong & loaded, and so they could iron out the kinks and fix easy mistakes they made early on (like the name and marketing.) But then again, if they did that, we'd probably have no Switch right now, or at least not until just very recently. So perhaps it worked out better this way.

Wii U - Turned 4 in late 2016 - Do I even have to say it?

TL:DR - It seems like ever since the Super Nintendo, the last one to still have a strong and healthy life post-4th birthday, every other Nintendo console noticeably dropped off in terms of sales and software releases. But the Switch looks poised to break that jinx and really flourish in the 2nd half of its life. (Provided Nintendo doesn't screw it up, which they unfortunately have a habit of doing.)

Good summary.

Just from what we know (and Nintendo keeps their cards close to their chest these days) Switch still has BOTW2, Splatoon 3, Monster Hunter Rise, Pokémon Legends Arceus, the Diamond/Pearl remakes, New Pokemon Snap, Mario Golf Super Rush, Project Triangle Strategy... easily their strongest post-year-4 lineup since the SNES, and there's likely still plenty of major games we don't know about yet as well.

Your list dangerously lack of Metroid games is alarming from what we know :P

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Mar1217 said:
curl-6 said:

Good summary.

At this point I have lost all hope of Metroid Prime 4 or Bayonetta 3 ever seeing the light of day.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
Mar1217 said:

At this point I have lost all hope of Metroid Prime 4 or Bayonetta 3 ever seeing the light of day.

I'd still give them a chance to show up at E3 to be frank.

However, I'm also just patient on the developpement process, knowing that Prime 4 is probably one of Nintendo and Retro Studios most "ambitious" projects outside of their main trio (Zelda,Mario,Splatoon), makes it obvious that'll it might take a while to get our hands on it.

As for Bayo 3, it is clear Kamiya is keeping his cards the closest to his chest he possibly can.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Personally, I'd rank it at 5.

No sense in me explaining why I ranked it at 5, because I've seen what happens when you mention your personal gripes on this thread already (even if those gripes aren't subjective, but objective points).

Around the Network
Chazore said:

Personally, I'd rank it at 5.

No sense in me explaining why I ranked it at 5, because I've seen what happens when you mention your personal gripes on this thread already (even if those gripes aren't subjective, but objective points).

What, that some people will disagree with you?

If anyone is outright rude or flames you, they'll be reported, there's not a lot of nastiness going on here on VGChartz.

This is the best console I've ever owned and according to my tastes, the best ever. Simple as that

I love my Switch, but the right joycon is starting to drift again, it's the second time this is happening now. While it is not nearly as bad as the first time, I'm still wondering when is Nintendo going to fix this issue. That or wait for a 3rd party joycon that doesn't have this issue.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Great machine! I expected a bit more on the original software side, and on the japanese 3rd party side but other than that I'm loving it.

I'm a day 1 owner and I love the Switch but I've only given it an 8 (probably closer to like an 8.5) because it still needs to address a few things to be considered an all time great console in my mind and here's my reasoning:

PROs:

• Has fantastic exclusives. Nearly every major 1st party release has been great with only a few disappointments.
  • It's the first "true" console/handheld hybrid (I really hope they stay on this route next gen)
  • Has tonnes of Indie games that are perfectly suited to handheld gaming
  • Best local multiplayer machine out there (possibly ever due to it's portability)
  • Free online SNES & NES games (ok not exactly free but online is so cheap especially with shared family plans)

CONS:

• Disappointing online services (better performance, voice-chat and we need more retro games - even if we have to pay extra for them!)
  • Dodgy Joy-con controllers is unacceptable. I personally fix my own - it's quite cheap and easy but I still shouldn't have to.
  • Could do with more major 3rd party titles (these are coming soon at least)
  • Should have more features ie. themes, folders, video services (I personally don't care too much but worth saying)

If they address some of the cons here I'd push my score up to 9/9.5 as I love everything else about it. Only other thing which has been irritating is the game droughts we've been having lately but I'll go easy on Nintendo for that one given the circumstances. Also I made good use of the time catching up on missed games and indies anyway.