By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch Turns Four!

Rank the Switch as a console!

10 25 25.77%

9 33 34.02%

8 26 26.80%

7 7 7.22%

6 2 2.06%

5 0 0%

4 2 2.06%

3 2 2.06%

2 0 0%

1 0 0%

Total:97

Great machine! I expected a bit more on the original software side, and on the japanese 3rd party side but other than that I'm loving it.

Around the Network

I'm a day 1 owner and I love the Switch but I've only given it an 8 (probably closer to like an 8.5) because it still needs to address a few things to be considered an all time great console in my mind and here's my reasoning:

PROs:

• Has fantastic exclusives. Nearly every major 1st party release has been great with only a few disappointments.
  • It's the first "true" console/handheld hybrid (I really hope they stay on this route next gen)
  • Has tonnes of Indie games that are perfectly suited to handheld gaming
  • Best local multiplayer machine out there (possibly ever due to it's portability)
  • Free online SNES & NES games (ok not exactly free but online is so cheap especially with shared family plans)

CONS:

• Disappointing online services (better performance, voice-chat and we need more retro games - even if we have to pay extra for them!)
  • Dodgy Joy-con controllers is unacceptable. I personally fix my own - it's quite cheap and easy but I still shouldn't have to.
  • Could do with more major 3rd party titles (these are coming soon at least)
  • Should have more features ie. themes, folders, video services (I personally don't care too much but worth saying)

If they address some of the cons here I'd push my score up to 9/9.5 as I love everything else about it. Only other thing which has been irritating is the game droughts we've been having lately but I'll go easy on Nintendo for that one given the circumstances. Also I made good use of the time catching up on missed games and indies anyway.

gord352 said:

If they address some of the cons here I'd push my score up to 9/9.5 as I love everything else about it. Only other thing which has been irritating is the game droughts we've been having lately but I'll go easy on Nintendo for that one given the circumstances. Also I made good use of the time catching up on missed games and indies anyway.

To be honest, regarding game releases since March 2020 Nintendo isn't worse than Sony or Microsoft. I would even consider it the best of the three. Microsoft hasn't put out large games for Xbox for ages and the last big games on PS5 were its launch lineup which consisted of a glorified DLC and a 1:1 Remake of a PS3 game.

Bought mine on launch day, produced in late 2016, still going strong and I love it.
I have small kids and the hybrid nature means I can sir next to them and play while they watch TV. My playtime is evenly split between hand held and dock.

I would give 2017-2019 a 10...maybe 9.5 because of the Nintendo switch online. 2020 gets 5 and 2021 so far looks worse from a 1st party perspective. Animal Crossing obviously was huge and Mario All Stars while flawed missing the best game Galaxy 2 and being short lived was solid. I enjoyed playing through the Mario games again. Paper Mario was good not great, Mario Golf looks okay and the rest is mostly ports. Still time to announce some big games for the 2nd half of this year, but as of right this minute I'm not planning on buying any first party games in 2021. I give the Switch a 7.5, but would round it up to 8

Around the Network
holzi said:
gord352 said:

To be honest, regarding game releases since March 2020 Nintendo isn't worse than Sony or Microsoft. I would even consider it the best of the three. Microsoft hasn't put out large games for Xbox for ages and the last big games on PS5 were its launch lineup which consisted of a glorified DLC and a 1:1 Remake of a PS3 game.

Microsoft has been awful releasing exclusive games recently.  Ghost of Tsushima, Last of Us 2 are both 10/10 masterpieces in my book, Miles Morales and Astro Bot were also fantastic. 

curl-6 said:

What, that some people will disagree with you?

If anyone is outright rude or flames you, they'll be reported, there's not a lot of nastiness going on here on VGChartz.

I already saw the responses Pem got, which is why I decided not to elaborate on my own cons, as there is no reason to.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

holzi said:
gord352 said:

Xbox and PlayStation aren't dependent on first-party games to sell their hardware. It helps, and they still need to put some out. But it's not as much do or die as it is with Nintendo. Though Switch has so many first-party games out by now (and did by March 2020) that they'll keep pushing sales of the system to an extent.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

In terms of its final tally of quality games, I don't think 2020 was that bad for the Switch; it got Doom Eternal, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Outer Worlds, Sniper Elite 4, Age of Calamity, Immortals Fenyx Rising, Crysis, Panzer Dragoon Remake, Hotshot Racing, etc.

The problem was more the atrocious lack of communication and the fact so many of its game were squished into the final few months of the year, with January-August being a long, torturous stretch.

I give it a 2/10 for the way it was delivered, but a solid 6/10 in terms of actual total content.