By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch Turns Four!

Rank the Switch as a console!

10 25 25.77%

9 33 34.02%

8 26 26.80%

7 7 7.22%

6 2 2.06%

5 0 0%

4 2 2.06%

3 2 2.06%

2 0 0%

1 0 0%

Total:97

Wii U got Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE in 2016. Damn good game and my 2016 GOTY. Outside of that. I don't remember what else released that year.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Leynos said:

Wii U got Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE in 2016. Damn good game and my 2016 GOTY. Outside of that. I don't remember what else released that year.

Starfox Zero, Twilight Princess HD, Paper Mario Colour Splash.

So yeah, an absolutely miserable year. At least it went out with a bang with BOTW.

Alistair said:
Mnementh said:

If the Switch would have been a Series S like console instead, Nintendo would be dead (or close to it). Switch sold 80M units. A series S like console would be sell far less, as we see - well the Series S. While some Nintendo fans would be pleased to play their favourite games in 4K, the console wouldn't have catched on fire with the overall population as much as the Switch did.

That's not true, that's just empty speculation. Nintendo hasn't made a normal console since the Gamecube era and they were facing the DVD juggernaut that was Sony.

Also nobody said you can't have a Switch and a Series S style console for playing Switch games at 4k/60 at the same time.

What do you mean nobody said you can’t have a Switch and a Series S style console for Switch games? I’d guess the fact you need two completely different types of chipsets (CISC vs RISC) makes it unfeasible.

And it’s not empty speculation, there’s data. The reason GameCube got crushed was because it was a PS2 clonebox. These sorts of consoles aren’t popular, most people don’t want a second junior playstation.

On the other hand, look at Nintendo’s systems that WEREN’T PlayStation cloneboxes: the DS, the Wii, the Switch, three of Nintendo’s four best selling consoles of all time. Gameboy would be the other top 4, and it was, once again, another one that did its own thing rather than what Microsoft or someone else was successfully doing at the time already. NES was another fresh new console that dominated the market, but I’m getting off track.

The point is, it’s not empty speculation, we have literally decades worth of data that show Cloneboxes not doing well, and more original concepts doing extremely well.

But either way, it’s not like Nintendo isn’t on track to exceed the competition in power anyway: and with a Switch-style hybrid rather than a clonebox of some PC-like console. ARM-based SOCs are the fastest advancing hardware in terms of power, anyway. M1 is the first in the most promising line of chips on the market, and it’s an SOC based on ARM - a cousin of Nintendo Switch’s custom Tegra chipset (just many times more powerful due to being 4-5 years newer).

Last edited by Jumpin - on 12 March 2021

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

The GameCube and the Wii U are not proof that people don't want powerful Nintendo consoles, and the Switch surely isn't proof people want weak ones. The NES and SNES and N64 were all powerful systems. So is the Switch in its category, a massive step up from the 3DS. More expensive and way more powerful than the 3DS. There is MASSIVE chatter on the internet asking for a faster Nintendo console.

The GameCube was competing against Sony while Sony was on fire. In the first 2 years there was an avalanche of software on the PS2 compared to GameCube, and almost every person I know bought the PS2 as their first DVD player (this was the height of CD and DVD mania). I spent thousands of dollars on CDs and DVDs, the PS2 was cheap being an included DVD player also. Brilliant business moves by Sony. Took the brilliance of the Playstation (first to market with CD then DVD) and iterated.

The Wii completely died out in the last year because it was so underpowered. The Wii U wasn't proof that power doesn't sell, it was a whopping $350 USD for the deluxe set with 32GB storage, while the PS4 was several times faster and came with 500GB for $400. The Wii U is proof a WEAK home console without software and not including even a single normal controller will fail. It wasn't a PS4 level competitor, it didn't even include a normal controller. I remember having conversations with my friends, if you buy a Wii U Deluxe with a Pro controller, you've already paid MORE than the cost of a PS4, and you have a system with 1/10th the GPU speed and 1/4 the memory and 1/20th the storage. Then if you didn't own a Wii you'd pay even more money for more Wii controllers for your Wii U. It was HORRIBLE hardware, that could barely play Mass Effect 3, not Mass Effect Andromeda. Nintendo learned all the wrong lessons from the Wii basically.

The Switch is actually Nintendo's attempt at very powerful hardware. It is a massive step up from the 3DS and continues the 3DS's legacy. It isn't anything new. I have several Sony and Nintendo portables that connect to my TV. The Switch is more like the Vita done right. We still don't have a new Nintendo home console. Something powerful that includes a NORMAL controller in the box. Try it Nintendo. You haven't tried it since the Gamecube.

"What do you mean nobody said you can’t have a Switch and a Series S style console for Switch games? I’d guess the fact you need two completely different types of chipsets (CISC vs RISC) makes it unfeasible." WHAT???

Having two products, a Series S type product and a Switch at the same time has nothing to do with the ISA, they can both use ARM and nVidia. They are not two different power products, they are portable and not-portable systems that can play the same games, because mobile hardware has improved a lot in the last few years relative to desktop hardware.

Nintendo's next home console should follow the Switch's smart design. Disc-less, SSD storage but no hard drive, and efficient ARM and nVidia hardware. A GPU in a box. Just take up the space between 720p/30 and 4k/60. A home console with up to 18 times the Switch's power that can run the SAME games at higher resolution and framerate. Would cost $300 just like the Switch. An RTX 3050 Ti (Super) with modern ARM cores. An Apple M1 with double the GPU basically.

Something like this is fine: https://ibb.co/Stvh0tJ

Last edited by Alistair - on 13 March 2021

PAOerfulone said:

Let's see:

SNES - Turned 4 in late 1994 (Japan), mid 1995 (NA), early-mid 1996 (PAL) - Notable games: Original DKC trilogy, SMW2: Yoshi's Island, Killer Instinct, Dragon Quest VI, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG + a lot of high quality 3rd party titles. And with hardware sales still relatively steady, enough to breakaway from the Genesis and win the 16-bit Console Wars and had a great sendoff before the N64 arrived. Yep, Super Nintendo is still the king. (For now)

N64 - Turned 4 years old in mid-late 2000 (Japan and NA), early-mid 2001 (Europe and Australia) - Notable games: Majora's Mask, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Banjo-Tooie, Pokemon Stadium 2, Paper Mario, Mario Tennis, and Mario Party 3; Pretty solid list with a strong first few titles, including what I consider the best 3D Zelda game pre-BOTW. But that was about it, aside from the few 3rd party games it received that were far better on the PS1 and Dreamcast anyways. And sales had dropped drastically at that point with just 1 year before the GameCube came out, so not what I'd consider a good life post-4th year.

GCN - Turned 4 in late 2005 (mid 2006 in Europe and Australia) - Notable games: Twilight Princess, Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness, and Mario Party 7; ...Damn, that's pretty pathetic. Nothing against those three games. I love Twilight Princess to pieces, but it was also the Wii's launch title so that weakens the impact for the GameCube. Never played Gale of Darkness or Mario Party 7, so I can't comment on those. But you could tell Nintendo gave up on the GameCube at this point and they were chomping at the bit to move on to the Wii.

Wii - Turned 4 in late 2010 - Notable games: Skyward Sword, DKC Returns, Return to Dreamland, Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, Sonic Colors, Mario & Sonic London Olympics, Mario Party 9, and a crap ton of 3rd party titles (even if at least half of them were shovelware.) Another solid list and I'd say even stronger than the N64. I guess the Wii had a better last few years than I originally thought it did. Now that I think about it, maybe they should have rode the Wii for another year so that they'd have time to make sure the Wii U's launch lineup was strong & loaded, and so they could iron out the kinks and fix easy mistakes they made early on (like the name and marketing.) But then again, if they did that, we'd probably have no Switch right now, or at least not until just very recently. So perhaps it worked out better this way.

Wii U - Turned 4 in late 2016 - Do I even have to say it?

TL:DR - It seems like ever since the Super Nintendo, the last one to still have a strong and healthy life post-4th birthday, every other Nintendo console noticeably dropped off in terms of sales and software releases. But the Switch looks poised to break that jinx and really flourish in the 2nd half of its life. (Provided Nintendo doesn't screw it up, which they unfortunately have a habit of doing.)

Good summary.

Just from what we know (and Nintendo keeps their cards close to their chest these days) Switch still has BOTW2, Splatoon 3, Monster Hunter Rise, Pokémon Legends Arceus, the Diamond/Pearl remakes, New Pokemon Snap, Mario Golf Super Rush, Project Triangle Strategy... easily their strongest post-year-4 lineup since the SNES, and there's likely still plenty of major games we don't know about yet as well.

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
curl-6 said:

Good summary.

Just from what we know (and Nintendo keeps their cards close to their chest these days) Switch still has BOTW2, Splatoon 3, Monster Hunter Rise, Pokémon Legends Arceus, the Diamond/Pearl remakes, New Pokemon Snap, Mario Golf Super Rush, Project Triangle Strategy... easily their strongest post-year-4 lineup since the SNES, and there's likely still plenty of major games we don't know about yet as well.

Your list dangerously lack of Metroid games is alarming from what we know :P

At this point I have lost all hope of Metroid Prime 4 or Bayonetta 3 ever seeing the light of day.

Personally, I'd rank it at 5.

No sense in me explaining why I ranked it at 5, because I've seen what happens when you mention your personal gripes on this thread already (even if those gripes aren't subjective, but objective points).

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:

Personally, I'd rank it at 5.

No sense in me explaining why I ranked it at 5, because I've seen what happens when you mention your personal gripes on this thread already (even if those gripes aren't subjective, but objective points).

What, that some people will disagree with you?

If anyone is outright rude or flames you, they'll be reported, there's not a lot of nastiness going on here on VGChartz.

This is the best console I've ever owned and according to my tastes, the best ever. Simple as that

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

I love my Switch, but the right joycon is starting to drift again, it's the second time this is happening now. While it is not nearly as bad as the first time, I'm still wondering when is Nintendo going to fix this issue. That or wait for a 3rd party joycon that doesn't have this issue.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.