By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch Turns Four!

Rank the Switch as a console!

10 25 26.04%

9 32 33.33%

8 26 27.08%

7 7 7.29%

6 2 2.08%

5 0 0%

4 2 2.08%

3 2 2.08%

2 0 0%

1 0 0%

Total:96
Mar1217 said:
Alistair said:

Did you include all the top Xbox 360 games as Xbox One games? Look at 90+ metacritic games on Switch by Nintendo. Only 3. Mario Odyssey (great!) and Animal Crossing (for those people that like that, I guess), and what feels like a deluxe port of Wii U's Smash Brothers. That's it. Every other game is a port from other systems.

No new Zelda, Donkey Kong, Metroid, or Mario Kart has been made for the system. We've had Xenoblade 2, Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion, Splatoon 2, and other <90 games. 

Knowing two of these games you wanted are already known to be developped, you're really asking your opinion to age poorly. 

Though telling it to someone who thinks Smash Ultimate is a deluxe port of Smash 4 would've clued anyone in the first place.

We are rating it as what it is, after 4 years. Nothing in the comment ages badly, it won't have happened in the first 4 years. And the upgrade from Wii U Smash to Switch Smash is no surprisingly way smaller than the Wii to Wii U upgrade.

Around the Network
Alistair said:
Mar1217 said:

Knowing two of these games you wanted are already known to be developped, you're really asking your opinion to age poorly. 

Though telling it to someone who thinks Smash Ultimate is a deluxe port of Smash 4 would've clued anyone in the first place.

We are rating it as what it is, after 4 years. Nothing in the comment ages badly, it won't have happened in the first 4 years. And the upgrade from Wii U Smash to Switch Smash is no surprisingly way smaller than the Wii to Wii U upgrade.

I disagree with this. A lot. The upgrade from Smash U to Smash Ultimate was as big as the upgrade from Smash Wii to Smash U. You could even say that the fact that a large amount of TVs were medium sized CRTs in 2008 and that the art style of Brawl being so radically different from U actually made the improvements from U to Ultimate even more noticeable than from Brawl to U. 

Smash Ultimate is U's artstyle fully realized. Looking back at U and comparing, it's just apparent how flat and bland the lighting is in that game. Colors are a lot less vibrant and everything lacks contrast (pretty much everything has a monochrome brightness to it, whereas Ultimate has a lot of contrasting colors that stick out). 

Not to mention how much better the texture work is, especially on the maps. I mean Jesus. Do you remember when it was acceptable to just lazily upscale Brawl, Melee, and N64 stages to HD and call it a day? I do, but thanks to Ultimate I wish I didn't. And I can't believe that was EVER acceptable. It was ALWAYS an eyesore and something you just had to put up with (except for some of the 64 stages, there's a charm there). 

Really the only thing that is disappointing about Ultimate to me graphically is that they took DK's hair from simulating a more multi-layered fuzzy hair look like in U to a more flat cartoonish look in Ultimate, which is a bland shade of brown and a lot less appealing. But that's ultimately (heh) just an artstyle decision. Everything else is 100% better. 

Let me put it this way. Smash Bros Ultimate is one of the best looking games on Switch, because the game actually looks super fucking good. It's crisp, its clean, but it has a lot of personality and detail while retaining a cartoon aesthetic. Whereas Smash Bros U., if it is to be called one of the best looking games on the Wii U, is only so because there's like 5 polished triple A Wii U games. 

Wow already four years.. NS is my return to Nintendo home(ish) style after skipping a few gens - The last one was the Gamecube.. and its okay. Though tbh I'm not overly keen on it. Hardware is lacking and games are expensive AF; and stays that way.

Super Mario Odyssey is genuinely great though. I'll probably wait for the sequel to that and then sell on. 7.

Last edited by hinch - on 04 March 2021

4 years of great content and amazing sales. I'm over 250 titles and that says enough for me. The console kicked in this desire to collect for it, and that usually doesn't happen for me as I always wait for a console to be done and become "retro". As for what's next, I hope the cliff is long ways away. So far the Switch has not reached its peak yet.

Alistair said:
Mar1217 said:

You seriously gonna keep BotW off that list because it was cross gen?  It launched day and date with the console.  And I thought that nonsense about the whole "smash ultimate is a wiiu port" crap had passed.  It sounds even more twisted now than it did back when it was actually being used seriously.

The Switch has flaws that you could have pointed out that make sense, like the horrible online.  But your post feels like you are trying everything you can to downplay the device.  I mean you are entitled to your opinion like everyone else, but some of the stuff you said is just false.

Last edited by Shiken - on 04 March 2021

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

Switch has grown to become my most liked console. That is because of the amazing library. Switch has phanatastic original games and ports of some of the best games in video game history. Combine that with the power to play the games on TV or on the go as you like - and this is a total winner.

Switch is the perfect first console. You have great games (and it does not matter if they were released elsewhere if you new to gaming). The console allows you to play as it fits into your life, you have not to organize your life to fit playtime into it. So it is perfect for person with family or a live outside of gaming, as it will fit your situation. And as many Nintendo consoles you have the local multiplayer which is great to integrate your family into your hobby.

If it is not your first console it still offers a lot, the point it fitting your life still stands and the library is big enough to find interesting stuff even if you played the classics before. But maybe you want to revisit the classics - then you can.

Well, Switch is excellent and it is no wonder it is selling so well right ot it's fourth birthday. Happy birthday Switch!

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Switch has some bangers I like Ghost and goblins ressurection, monster Hunter rise, astral chain etc .

I game on all consoles and PC

I think one's perspective on the Switch depends a lot on what other systems you own.

If you owned a Wii U you already played most of its best first party games, but if like me you skipped PS4/Xbone it can make up for that with ports of games like Doom 2016/Eternal, Hellblade, Witcher 3, both Ori games, etc.

If you already own all three, then it'll be a lot harder for it to impress you, unless portability is something you strongly value or its relatively small library of true exclusives really resonates with you.

Having said that, come on, Breath of the Wild is a Switch game and Smash Bros Ultimate is not a port, let's be real here.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 04 March 2021

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

I think one's perspective on the Switch depends a lot on what other systems you own.

If you owned a Wii U you already played most of its best first party games, but if like me you skipped PS4/Xbone it can make up for that with ports of games like Doom 2016/Eternal, Hellblade, Witcher 3, both Ori games, etc.

If you already own all three, then it'll be a lot harder for it to impress you, unless portability is something you strongly value or its relatively small library of true exclusives really resonates with you.

Having said that, come on, Breath of the Wild is a Switch game and Smash Bros Ultimate is not a port, let's be real here.

I owned all 3, I enjoyed WII U guilty,but because New super mario bros wii u and zombie U got me to play it alot, Wish zombie U stayed exclusive , loved using the gamepad features.

I game on all consoles and PC

I would give it a 10, but the lack of BT audio, voice chat (built-in) and dreadful NSO pulls it back to a solid 8.