By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch Turns Four!

Rank the Switch as a console!

10 25 25.77%

9 33 34.02%

8 26 26.80%

7 7 7.22%

6 2 2.06%

5 0 0%

4 2 2.06%

3 2 2.06%

2 0 0%

1 0 0%

Total:97

4 years of great content and amazing sales. I'm over 250 titles and that says enough for me. The console kicked in this desire to collect for it, and that usually doesn't happen for me as I always wait for a console to be done and become "retro". As for what's next, I hope the cliff is long ways away. So far the Switch has not reached its peak yet.

Around the Network
Alistair said:
Mar1217 said:

Knowing two of these games you wanted are already known to be developped, you're really asking your opinion to age poorly. 

Though telling it to someone who thinks Smash Ultimate is a deluxe port of Smash 4 would've clued anyone in the first place.

We are rating it as what it is, after 4 years. Nothing in the comment ages badly, it won't have happened in the first 4 years. And the upgrade from Wii U Smash to Switch Smash is no surprisingly way smaller than the Wii to Wii U upgrade.

You seriously gonna keep BotW off that list because it was cross gen?  It launched day and date with the console.  And I thought that nonsense about the whole "smash ultimate is a wiiu port" crap had passed.  It sounds even more twisted now than it did back when it was actually being used seriously.

The Switch has flaws that you could have pointed out that make sense, like the horrible online.  But your post feels like you are trying everything you can to downplay the device.  I mean you are entitled to your opinion like everyone else, but some of the stuff you said is just false.

Last edited by Shiken - on 04 March 2021

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Switch has grown to become my most liked console. That is because of the amazing library. Switch has phanatastic original games and ports of some of the best games in video game history. Combine that with the power to play the games on TV or on the go as you like - and this is a total winner.

Switch is the perfect first console. You have great games (and it does not matter if they were released elsewhere if you new to gaming). The console allows you to play as it fits into your life, you have not to organize your life to fit playtime into it. So it is perfect for person with family or a live outside of gaming, as it will fit your situation. And as many Nintendo consoles you have the local multiplayer which is great to integrate your family into your hobby.

If it is not your first console it still offers a lot, the point it fitting your life still stands and the library is big enough to find interesting stuff even if you played the classics before. But maybe you want to revisit the classics - then you can.

Well, Switch is excellent and it is no wonder it is selling so well right ot it's fourth birthday. Happy birthday Switch!

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I think one's perspective on the Switch depends a lot on what other systems you own.

If you owned a Wii U you already played most of its best first party games, but if like me you skipped PS4/Xbone it can make up for that with ports of games like Doom 2016/Eternal, Hellblade, Witcher 3, both Ori games, etc.

If you already own all three, then it'll be a lot harder for it to impress you, unless portability is something you strongly value or its relatively small library of true exclusives really resonates with you.

Having said that, come on, Breath of the Wild is a Switch game and Smash Bros Ultimate is not a port, let's be real here.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 04 March 2021

I would give it a 10, but the lack of BT audio, voice chat (built-in) and dreadful NSO pulls it back to a solid 8.

Around the Network
Alistair said:
javi741 said:

I give the Switch a solid 9. It has one of the greatest game libraries we've seen in any console in history. The Switch already has the 5th most 80+ Metascore games in console history only behind the PS2,Ps3,PS4 and Xbox 360 and we're only about half way through the Switch's lifecycle which really shows the sheer amount of quality games the Switch has not only from 1st Party Nintendo games, but from a 3rd party perspective as well. And the fact that I could play all these triple A experiences on the go is just amazing and I don't think we've ever seen a portable device like the Switch be able to take full current gen console experiences on the go.

Before the Switch most games on handhelds were primarily made as small spinoff games from their console counterparts, games that were so watered down compared to of experience on console counterparts, or older gen games rereleased on portable devices. As most portable devices in the past never really were on the same level as their console counterparts. While the Switch certainly is less powerful than the PS4 and Xbox One, the ports from those consoles felt competent and similiar enough to feel like you weren't missing out on much when playing this portably on the Switch, as many ports like Witcher 3 and Doom Eternal and many other AAA games didn't cut any content out from the Switch version and while the graphics are downgraded, they still feel like the PS4 versions of those games. That really blew my mind about the Switch and really changed the game when it came to console gaming on the go.

Also the fact that this system comes with 2 controllers out the box with joy cons which allow you to play multiplayer games anytime anywhere is just amazing.

Nintendo's library has been amazing, just simply an amazing system and really changed the gaming landscape and I hope we continue to see Nintendo stick with this Switch route in the future for good.

What's keeping me from giving it a 10 tho is the garbage Nintendo online, lack of features overall, joy con drift is a big issue,plus I'll admit some ports from 1st and 3rd party games have been overpriced on Switch at times. While these issues may seem big, I feel like just the overall concept and game library of the Switch is just so amazing that even if the Switch was literally bad at every other category id still consider it an amazing system.

I am thankful for Nintendo creating this system, and I wish it the very best during the 2nd half of its life.

Did you include all the top Xbox 360 games as Xbox One games? Look at 90+ metacritic games on Switch by Nintendo. Only 3. Mario Odyssey (great!) and Animal Crossing (for those people that like that, I guess), and what feels like a deluxe port of Wii U's Smash Brothers. That's it. Every other game is a port from other systems.

No new Zelda, Donkey Kong, Metroid, or Mario Kart has been made for the system. We've had Xenoblade 2, Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion, Splatoon 2, and other <90 games. 

If we were to include the number of PS4 exclusive games rated 90+ you would only get 6 and the PS4 had a whole lifetime so far while the Switch is only half way through. 

Plus even if the games are older they're still high quality experiences with tons of replay that many people didn't get to experience on Switch since they were trapped on Wii U and the fact that the option to play these huge backlog of games on one system is great no matter what way you look at it. Even if you use backwards combability on other console as an argument that these Switch's game library of ports shouldn't be praised more than backwards compatibility on other consoles cause they're older games, the Switch alone has the same amount of 90+ Metascores as the Wii U and Wii combine and completely kills the 2 systems combined when it comes to the shear amount of games with 80+ Metascores.

So if you want to shit on the Switch for using Wii U ports to fill up its library, you might as well shit on every other Nintendo system for far less 80+ Metascore games EVEN WHEN you include the backward compatibility features of the Wii and Wii U and the Switch is only halfway through its lifecycle. Plus these ports have added value with additional content and being able to play console games on the go for the first time portably.

And like I said, your attempt to resort to the "true exclusive" 90+ argument to show that there are barely any exclusive high quality experiences on the Switch is illogical since most other consoles can't even pass 10 games under that criteria and the Switch is only halfway through its lifecycle with close to the amount of PS4 games under that criteria.

Incredible console. I can't wait for a Pro to refresh a little the performance on big games but really it is the best move Nintendo has made since like the DS.
Still waiting for another banger year to make it my favorite console of all time, but it is on it's way to get there. With just the Botw 2, bayo 3 and MP4 titles already announced it will most def get that title.

Big Brain Idea #1: Smash Ultimate is a port of Smash 4.

Big Brain Idea #2: 3D World, Bayo 2, Pikmin 3, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Captain Toad and All Stars are all new games.

Big Brain Idea #3: Nintendo should go 3rd party.

Big Brain Idea #4: Switch isn't that great of a console because it wasn't a $700 cutting edge portable machine at launch.

Big Brain Idea #5: Poor people are entitled to emulate Switch games on their $800 PC. A Switch is too expensive! They need that money for beer!

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 04 March 2021

9... this made video games great again and the best is yet to come!

Switch!!!

I would personally give it a 9.

The hardware has some small problems, like the joycon drift( it is a problem with an easy fix, but really annyoing), and some QOL could also been there, like folders and themed background, but it's games are godlike,And that's why we are all here.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1