By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch Turns Four!

Rank the Switch as a console!

10 25 25.77%

9 33 34.02%

8 26 26.80%

7 7 7.22%

6 2 2.06%

5 0 0%

4 2 2.06%

3 2 2.06%

2 0 0%

1 0 0%

Total:97

I genuinely adore the Switch. I play in both handheld and docked modes, depending on game, and so far the games I’ve played on it are all fantastic. It’s shaping up to be the ultimate Nintendo machine, and I can safely say it’s my favourite console ever.

Around the Network

That was the year that I completely stopped liking Nintendo games. So I refrain from voting.

This is the best Nintendo console I have ever owned (DS, 3DS, Wii and Wii U) The hybrid concept is the best idea they have ever done. My main issue is the Joycon Drift and the Wifi signal (dont really know what is called) seems to be a lot weaker than the Wii U. My most played game is Splatoon 2 with around 1300 hours. Can't wait for Splatoon 3.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

"An expensive piece of DRM" I totally agree. An expensive place to rebuy my Wii U games. That is the Switch for me. I'm a home console player first, portability doesn't interest me much, so for many it is like asking "what do you think about the gameboy?" while they spend all their time on the SNES. 4/10.

The only top game to come out on Switch and not on Wii U is Mario Odyssey (which could have released on Wii U, and would have been, if the Wii U numbers were higher). No Mario Kart, no Donkey Kong, no Zelda, no Metroid, Splatoon 2 is just 1 imo, the Switch is an expensive DRM machine to draw out the time between release dates.

No Mario Kart, no Donkey Kong, no Zelda, no Metroid. Think about that. All worse than the Wii U by a long shot. Wii U I got Mario Kart 8, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Breath of the Wild, and no Metroid ;)

I give the Switch a solid 9. It has one of the greatest game libraries we've seen in any console in history. The Switch already has the 5th most 80+ Metascore games in console history only behind the PS2,Ps3,PS4 and Xbox 360 and we're only about half way through the Switch's lifecycle which really shows the sheer amount of quality games the Switch has not only from 1st Party Nintendo games, but from a 3rd party perspective as well. And the fact that I could play all these triple A experiences on the go is just amazing and I don't think we've ever seen a portable device like the Switch be able to take full current gen console experiences on the go.

Before the Switch most games on handhelds were primarily made as small spinoff games from their console counterparts, games that were so watered down compared to of experience on console counterparts, or older gen games rereleased on portable devices. As most portable devices in the past never really were on the same level as their console counterparts. While the Switch certainly is less powerful than the PS4 and Xbox One, the ports from those consoles felt competent and similiar enough to feel like you weren't missing out on much when playing this portably on the Switch, as many ports like Witcher 3 and Doom Eternal and many other AAA games didn't cut any content out from the Switch version and while the graphics are downgraded, they still feel like the PS4 versions of those games. That really blew my mind about the Switch and really changed the game when it came to console gaming on the go.

Also the fact that this system comes with 2 controllers out the box with joy cons which allow you to play multiplayer games anytime anywhere is just amazing.

Nintendo's library has been amazing, just simply an amazing system and really changed the gaming landscape and I hope we continue to see Nintendo stick with this Switch route in the future for good.

What's keeping me from giving it a 10 tho is the garbage Nintendo online, lack of features overall, joy con drift is a big issue,plus I'll admit some ports from 1st and 3rd party games have been overpriced on Switch at times. While these issues may seem big, I feel like just the overall concept and game library of the Switch is just so amazing that even if the Switch was literally bad at every other category id still consider it an amazing system.

I am thankful for Nintendo creating this system, and I wish it the very best during the 2nd half of its life.

Around the Network
javi741 said:

I give the Switch a solid 9. It has one of the greatest game libraries we've seen in any console in history. The Switch already has the 5th most 80+ Metascore games in console history only behind the PS2,Ps3,PS4 and Xbox 360 and we're only about half way through the Switch's lifecycle which really shows the sheer amount of quality games the Switch has not only from 1st Party Nintendo games, but from a 3rd party perspective as well. And the fact that I could play all these triple A experiences on the go is just amazing and I don't think we've ever seen a portable device like the Switch be able to take full current gen console experiences on the go.

Before the Switch most games on handhelds were primarily made as small spinoff games from their console counterparts, games that were so watered down compared to of experience on console counterparts, or older gen games rereleased on portable devices. As most portable devices in the past never really were on the same level as their console counterparts. While the Switch certainly is less powerful than the PS4 and Xbox One, the ports from those consoles felt competent and similiar enough to feel like you weren't missing out on much when playing this portably on the Switch, as many ports like Witcher 3 and Doom Eternal and many other AAA games didn't cut any content out from the Switch version and while the graphics are downgraded, they still feel like the PS4 versions of those games. That really blew my mind about the Switch and really changed the game when it came to console gaming on the go.

Also the fact that this system comes with 2 controllers out the box with joy cons which allow you to play multiplayer games anytime anywhere is just amazing.

Nintendo's library has been amazing, just simply an amazing system and really changed the gaming landscape and I hope we continue to see Nintendo stick with this Switch route in the future for good.

What's keeping me from giving it a 10 tho is the garbage Nintendo online, lack of features overall, joy con drift is a big issue,plus I'll admit some ports from 1st and 3rd party games have been overpriced on Switch at times. While these issues may seem big, I feel like just the overall concept and game library of the Switch is just so amazing that even if the Switch was literally bad at every other category id still consider it an amazing system.

I am thankful for Nintendo creating this system, and I wish it the very best during the 2nd half of its life.

Did you include all the top Xbox 360 games as Xbox One games? Look at 90+ metacritic games on Switch by Nintendo. Only 3. Mario Odyssey (great!) and Animal Crossing (for those people that like that, I guess), and what feels like a deluxe port of Wii U's Smash Brothers. That's it. Every other game is a port from other systems.

No new Zelda, Donkey Kong, Metroid, or Mario Kart has been made for the system. We've had Xenoblade 2, Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion, Splatoon 2, and other <90 games. 

Last edited by Alistair - on 04 March 2021

I rank it as pretty good, but a little disappointing and could be a lot better. I like a lot of the first party games (nintendo published/nintendo IP), but I usually find them a bit disappointing or kind of lacking in one way or another. Super Mario Maker 2 is pretty much one of my favorite games ever, but besides that everything that could be considered an absolute knockout for Switch is kind of just a port (I guess Pikmin 3 and XCDE) or a launch title like Breath of the Wild, and even that is kind of thin ice because I got bored on the final stretch of the game and never finished it. I have no doubt that it would be one of my favorite games if I went back and revisited it though. I think games like Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and Astral Chain having serious flaws and being pretty good but a bit of a bummer in several regards really affects the Switch library to me. Especially Odyssey and Astral Chain, though I'm more forgiving of the latter because it's a new IP. Now that I think about it, it's actually kind of ironic since both are probably the best original soundtracks on the system. 

I did play a lot of third party games, and those were pretty great, but it's kind of hard for me to associate them as some kind of trophy for the Switch. I really like the Castlevania collection, Iconoclasts was pretty good (I want to say great but so much of my enjoyment came from the plot, which I ironically now barely remember), Axiom Verge was one of the more inventive Metroidvania, Hollow Knight was great, and Touhou Luna Nights might just be one of my favorite games ever. And what I played of Dragon Quest 11S was a really fun casual JRPG for someone who's not too into the genre. I guess when I look back on it there were a lot of great third party experiences, but it's kind of hard to associate them too much with why the Switch is great, other than it's just a more convenient system for me. Hell, Touhou Luna Nights somehow ended up coming out on Switch after Xbox despite being announced all the way back in 2019. 

Overall, there's a lot of great stuff, and since 2019 I haven't felt starved for content. I guess my opinion on it is just a bit inconsistent. Ask me when I'm playing the system a lot and I'll say it's really great overall, like an 8.5/10. Ask me when I'm not and I'll kind of just default to saying it's a 7/10, pretty good but not amazing or anything. Especially because there's not really one game I play all the time (I kind of made Mario Kart that game the last few months but I'm really hankering for a 9 at this point to be honest). Not-so-coincidentally I haven't played the system much this year because my Switch is kind of broken and I haven't much motivation to play. Maybe once I get it fixed my opinion will be super positive again. And I know Monster Hunter Rise will probably be the game that finally puts a nail in the coffin and cements the Switch as a true masterpiece of a console. Then again, I though the same thing about Astral Chain. It could also just be that I internalize things differently from other people though. Maybe my enjoyment is not actually that dissimilar and I just am more negative about the downtimes I have with the system. I mean, I'd like to think I'm nowhere near as negative as the doomers here, but I'm definitely not an optimist either haha. I do tend to internalize negativity more than positivity, which by comparison feels temporary and fleeting. 

So a 7/10 right now. 

Mar1217 said:
Alistair said:

Did you include all the top Xbox 360 games as Xbox One games? Look at 90+ metacritic games on Switch by Nintendo. Only 3. Mario Odyssey (great!) and Animal Crossing (for those people that like that, I guess), and what feels like a deluxe port of Wii U's Smash Brothers. That's it. Every other game is a port from other systems.

No new Zelda, Donkey Kong, Metroid, or Mario Kart has been made for the system. We've had Xenoblade 2, Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion, Splatoon 2, and other <90 games. 

Knowing two of these games you wanted are already known to be developped, you're really asking your opinion to age poorly. 

Though telling it to someone who thinks Smash Ultimate is a deluxe port of Smash 4 would've clued anyone in the first place.

We are rating it as what it is, after 4 years. Nothing in the comment ages badly, it won't have happened in the first 4 years. And the upgrade from Wii U Smash to Switch Smash is no surprisingly way smaller than the Wii to Wii U upgrade.

Alistair said:
Mar1217 said:

Knowing two of these games you wanted are already known to be developped, you're really asking your opinion to age poorly. 

Though telling it to someone who thinks Smash Ultimate is a deluxe port of Smash 4 would've clued anyone in the first place.

We are rating it as what it is, after 4 years. Nothing in the comment ages badly, it won't have happened in the first 4 years. And the upgrade from Wii U Smash to Switch Smash is no surprisingly way smaller than the Wii to Wii U upgrade.

I disagree with this. A lot. The upgrade from Smash U to Smash Ultimate was as big as the upgrade from Smash Wii to Smash U. You could even say that the fact that a large amount of TVs were medium sized CRTs in 2008 and that the art style of Brawl being so radically different from U actually made the improvements from U to Ultimate even more noticeable than from Brawl to U. 

Smash Ultimate is U's artstyle fully realized. Looking back at U and comparing, it's just apparent how flat and bland the lighting is in that game. Colors are a lot less vibrant and everything lacks contrast (pretty much everything has a monochrome brightness to it, whereas Ultimate has a lot of contrasting colors that stick out). 

Not to mention how much better the texture work is, especially on the maps. I mean Jesus. Do you remember when it was acceptable to just lazily upscale Brawl, Melee, and N64 stages to HD and call it a day? I do, but thanks to Ultimate I wish I didn't. And I can't believe that was EVER acceptable. It was ALWAYS an eyesore and something you just had to put up with (except for some of the 64 stages, there's a charm there). 

Really the only thing that is disappointing about Ultimate to me graphically is that they took DK's hair from simulating a more multi-layered fuzzy hair look like in U to a more flat cartoonish look in Ultimate, which is a bland shade of brown and a lot less appealing. But that's ultimately (heh) just an artstyle decision. Everything else is 100% better. 

Let me put it this way. Smash Bros Ultimate is one of the best looking games on Switch, because the game actually looks super fucking good. It's crisp, its clean, but it has a lot of personality and detail while retaining a cartoon aesthetic. Whereas Smash Bros U., if it is to be called one of the best looking games on the Wii U, is only so because there's like 5 polished triple A Wii U games. 

Wow already four years.. NS is my return to Nintendo home(ish) style after skipping a few gens - The last one was the Gamecube.. and its okay. Though tbh I'm not overly keen on it. Hardware is lacking and games are expensive AF; and stays that way.

Super Mario Odyssey is genuinely great though. I'll probably wait for the sequel to that and then sell on. 7.

Last edited by hinch - on 04 March 2021