By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch Is Attracting A Large amount of Non-Console owners, Research Suggests: 25% of Owners Have No other console

True i've been mainly a PC / Nintendo Gamer.

Around the Network
Louie said:
Otter said:

Wii Fit U
Wii Sports Online
NintendoLand
Launching with NSMBU 
Multiplayer Focused 3D Mario 

The early efforts for the Wii U seem more notable than Switch early in its lifetime

.... The latter section was just userbase data, I thought it gave the impression of Nintendo's Switch initial audience being unsually "hardcore". 

"Nearly two years from launch, the demographics of Nintendo Switch owners are beginning to fall more into line with the demographics of other Nintendo system owners, with marked differences from owners of other consoles."

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-02-11-eedar-nintendo-switch-attracting-more-women-wider-age-ranges-over-time#:~:text=Early%20adopters%20of%20the%20system,male%2C%20and%2030%25%20female.&text=The%20PS4%20and%20Xbox%20One's,and%2053%25%20female%2C%20respectively.

But the point was to question whether it was actually clear that Nintendo was succeeding with its blue ocean strategy back in 2017 because the initial audience was distinctly male and mostly yuppies

The problem with the games you listed is that Nintendo's focus with the Wii U (and 3DS) clearly wasn't a blue ocean strategy, despite these titles being on the system. Games like Wii Fit U, Mario Bros. U and Nintendoland were by the numbers, soul-less titles, unlike the games on Wii and DS. Also, the hardware of the Wii U and 3DS clearly didn't attract mass market customers. So even if Nintendo wanted to attract a blue ocean audience, it failed to do so with Wii U and 3DS. The Wii U was the polar opposite of the Wii.

As for your second post: I think the point here is that it was always obvious that Nintendo needed a blue ocean strategy to make the Switch a big success. I remember having these discussions years ago with certain users who always claimed Nintendo would only need to attract male gamers aged 20-40 to make the Switch wildly successful - which was obviously wrong and Nintendo always knew they wouldn't have massive success without attracting a wide audience. After all, that's what they've been doing in the handheld sector since the 1980s and the only time their handheld failed to perform to expectations (3DS) was when they didn't attract that audience in large enough numbers. So yes, it was always clear (to Nintendo and observers like Rol) that the Switch would be a blue ocean product, even if the audience consisted mostly of hardcore Nintendo fans right after launch (after all, that's going to be the case for any established console or consumer product: The most enthusiastic "core" fans of your product will buy it first).

Regarding your first paragraph, I somewhat agree but the comparison shouldn't be made to the Wii & DS but more the Switch which is what I was talking about. Clearly Nintendo made efforts to maintain the audience captured by Wii/DS during the Wii U/3DS era hence those titles l listed (also Nintendogs cats, Brain Training 3DS). My point was that Nintendo's drive towards the new audiences in the early days of the Switch were not more notable than what they were for the Wii U/3DS. 1,2 Switch was there (a lot less effort than Nintendoland) & a convenient port of MK8, but not much else for the first year. I'd argue it was an even less conscious software effort compared to Wii U. 

Continueing into your second part, I'd argue Switch is was no more an attempt at the Blue Ocean than the Wii U. Several of its biggest titles are literally just Wii U ports. The difference in success was initiated by Nintendo consolidating their core audiences and software lineup onto one platform and this is reflected in the initial demographic. It had a strong foundation that would result in 70-100m units sold regardless of whether they actually reached new audiences (GBA/3DS trajectory). So just to be clear of my take, Nintendo have not stopped trying for the blue ocean since the arrival of the DS even if a few past gimmicks failed (Gamepad/3D). 

Last edited by Otter - on 26 January 2021

Appealing to a wide range of demographics is the key to great success

Microsoft and Sony only pander to their usual base, hence why Playstation + Xbox sales amount to ~175M each and every Generation. Nintendo, with their new concepts and ideas, attract new players who possibly didn't think about playing videogames (or only on Smartphones/PC) beforehand.

The research suggests that more older people, specifically age 45 and many who grew up with the NES in their youth, are driving up Switch sales and spending and potentially returning to gaming for the first time since the NES. The Switch is also appealing to many more females and parents as well.

Strange to see how that worked with the Wii, failed with the WiiU and works again with the Switch.

Around the Network

Are Former consumer Tier 2?

With this in mind, maybe (with Covid confusion in whole 2021) 2021> 2020?

Otter said:

This definitely became clear when the pandemic hit. I really hope we get a switch sports type title, thats the one thing I still feel like we're missing.

Yeah with the success of Ring Fit Adventure, I can definitely see a Switch spiritual successor to Wii Sports Resort doing extremely well, if they expand on in a similar way that Ring Fit did over Wii Fit.

numberwang said:

The research suggests that more older people, specifically age 45 and many who grew up with the NES in their youth, are driving up Switch sales and spending and potentially returning to gaming for the first time since the NES. The Switch is also appealing to many more females and parents as well.

Strange to see how that worked with the Wii, failed with the WiiU and works again with the Switch.

Not strange at all, as they skipped this strategy with the WiiU. They tried to compete with PS and Xbox instead, while at the same time trying to look innovative with the gamepad.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Wii U was blue ocean strategy as well. From my perspective as consumer who barely follow industry news at the time, Wii U resemble nothing to MS and Sony systems and was hardly a competiton for both. The last real red ocean system Nintendo released was Game Cube.

I'd argue 3DS was red ocean as the system was not innovative and tried to sell for the same pool of consumers who owned GBA, DS and PSP. It get price cuts and its main purpose was to obliterate Vita making Nintendo rulling handheld market for good, but Wii U? It just flopped. Wrong strategy for a wrong system

IcaroRibeiro said:

Wii U was blue ocean strategy as well. From my perspective as consumer who barely follow industry news at the time, Wii U resemble nothing to MS and Sony systems and was hardly a competiton for both. The last real red ocean system Nintendo released was Game Cube.

I'd argue 3DS was red ocean as the system was not innovative and tried to sell for the same pool of consumers who owned GBA, DS and PSP. It get price cuts and its main purpose was to obliterate Vita making Nintendo rulling handheld market for good, but Wii U? It just flopped. Wrong strategy for a wrong system

Nah. WiiU was definitely no blue ocean strategy. I was there and Nintendo totally focued marketing on classic 3rd-party hardcore titles. It even seemed they expected multiplats to move the system, as they totally lacked 1st-party games at launch and in the time following. Only late in the lifetime they remembered more casual titles and brought Wii Fit U and even later the port Wii Sports Club, which for unclear reasons was download only and sold each sport separately.

3DS seems more a mixto me. It was a straight follow-up to DS, added some features that were mostly overlooked, but kept the DS features. Games were a total mix of more classic titles and others more focused on new user groups.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]