By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch Is Attracting A Large amount of Non-Console owners, Research Suggests: 25% of Owners Have No other console

Mr Puggsly said:
curl-6 said:

Haha, tell that to Momotaro, which cracked 2 million in its first couple of months in a single country, or Monster Hunter Rise, the biggest third party exclusive yet which will arrive in Switch's 4th year. Third party support on Switch has been increasing year after year, not decreasing.

Three years later and your predictions of Switch collapsing are still a mirage. 

3rd party games do well enough to keep coming in general. But its also fair to acknowledge many popular IPs have skipped Switch because potential sales aren't big enough.

I suspect carts might be somewhat expensive, especially large storage carts, which could be impacting support as well. Digital only is less potential sales.

Either way, a vast majority of users wanting 1st party games wouldn't be new for Nintendo though. Its kinda always been that way.

First party software being the star of the show on a Nintendo platform kinda goes without saying, yeah.

But claiming the audience is "only" buying first party software and "ignoring third party games that are not Just Dance" and there there is "no money to be made" for third parties is simply false.

I mean, if any of that was true, we wouldn't be heading into the Switch's 4th year on the market with plenty of third party software in the pipeline like Monster Hunter Rise, Bravely Default II, Apex Legends, Rune Factory 5, Shin Megami Tensei V, Subnautica, Monster Hunter Stories 2, a new RE according to the guy who leaked Monster Hunter, etc. 

It may not have many AAA multiplats, but there's more to third party support than just Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed. By this point Switch has demonstrated it can do just fine without most of the big AAA fare.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 28 January 2021

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

3rd party games do well enough to keep coming in general. But its also fair to acknowledge many popular IPs have skipped Switch because potential sales aren't big enough.

I suspect carts might be somewhat expensive, especially large storage carts, which could be impacting support as well. Digital only is less potential sales.

Either way, a vast majority of users wanting 1st party games wouldn't be new for Nintendo though. Its kinda always been that way.

First party software being the star of the show on a Nintendo platform kinda goes without saying, yeah.

But claiming the audience is "only" buying first party software and "ignoring third party games that are not Just Dance" and there there is "no money to be made" for third parties is simply false.

I mean, if any of that was true, we wouldn't be heading into the Switch's 4th year on the market with plenty of third party software in the pipeline like Monster Hunter Rise, Bravely Default II, Apex Legends, Rune Factory 5, Shin Megami Tensei V, Subnautica, Monster Hunter Stories 2, a new RE according to the guy who leaked Monster Hunter, etc. 

It may not have many AAA multiplats, but there's more to third party support than just Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed. By this point Switch has demonstrated it can do just fine without most of the big AAA fare.

A lot of the 3rd party games you mentioned are Japanese and Switch is certainly the platform they generally should focus on.

Switch has done well with F2P stuff, so Apex Legends getting a port is not that surprising.

I think multiple things can be true at the same time. A lot of major 3rd party games don't come to Switch because they can't succeed there for various reasons. A lot of smaller 3rd party games definitely do great on Switch, maybe even some of their best sales. While many Japanese games rely on Switch given its very popular there.

Personally I'd like to see older AAA games keep coming to Switch as it handles them really well. But I guess the dilemma is the sales potential just isn't strong enough to encourage it. Also, studios won't bother unless a game is being remastered for multiple platforms.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
curl-6 said:

A lot of the 3rd party games you mentioned are Japanese and Switch is certainly the platform they generally should focus on.

Switch has done well with F2P stuff, so Apex Legends getting a port is not that surprising.

I think multiple things can be true at the same time. A lot of major 3rd party games don't come to Switch because they can't succeed there for various reasons. A lot of smaller 3rd party games definitely do great on Switch, maybe even some of their best sales. While many Japanese games rely on Switch given its very popular there.

Personally I'd like to see older AAA games keep coming to Switch as it handles them really well. But I guess the dilemma is the sales potential just isn't strong enough to encourage it. Also, studios won't bother unless a game is being remastered for multiple platforms.

The impression and reality are two different things. Witchter 3 have good sales. A late, late port. 

ryuzaki57 said:

It has been clear for some time that the mainstream audience represents the crushing majority of new switch owners. Mario Kart 8 DX is back as best-selling Switch game in some places, which is very telling. The big problem for Nintendo now is that this inflating audience is only buying 1st party software, ignoring 3rd party games that are not Just Dance. The closer Switch comes to the moment it will decline, the clearer it becomes for 3rd parties that there's no money to be made. So despite the large install-base, (big) 3rd parties might actually invest increasingly less.

I mean if you keep making the same prediction of decline, eventually you will be right I suppose.  Even a broken clock is right one out of twelve times.  It has been clear for some time however that it won't be happening in 2021.  ;)

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

ryuzaki57 said:

It has been clear for some time that the mainstream audience represents the crushing majority of new switch owners. Mario Kart 8 DX is back as best-selling Switch game in some places, which is very telling. The big problem for Nintendo now is that this inflating audience is only buying 1st party software, ignoring 3rd party games that are not Just Dance. The closer Switch comes to the moment it will decline, the clearer it becomes for 3rd parties that there's no money to be made. So despite the large install-base, (big) 3rd parties might actually invest increasingly less.

Well be that as it may, I'm just glad I can play Disgaea 6 in English.

Around the Network
ryuzaki57 said:

Reality disagrees with you and if she does, you have no hope

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Mr Puggsly said:
VideoGameAccountant said:

I wouldn't be surprised if these are former gamers rather than totally new ones. The is something that is forgotten with the Wii was there were two expended market consumers. I know a few people who haven't owned a game system in years but have a Switch. I think it does a great job of bringing in people who have been left behind with higher price tags and longer (and more bloated) games.

Exactly what I was thinking. The casual market, kids, etc.

If you were a fan of Wii, DS or 3DS, then you might consider a Switch.

Actually, if you were a fan of PS2, NES, SNES, Sega, PS1, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3, PSP, PS Vita, or whatever other console, then you might consider a switch. If you don't buy into silly little console wars then the switch is an attractive system for hardcore gamers, casual market, kids, adults, even some really old adults. The only ones being immature are silly little fanboys and fangirls who think a console makes a man/woman or define adulthood somehow. Some 3-year-old kids are more mature than that.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Mr Puggsly said:
curl-6 said:

It does depend on the game and is a case-by-case thing, but at this point Switch has had enough successful third party ventures that they're still coming as it approaches its 4th year, with no sign of stopping. If there really was no money to be made as ryuzaki suggests, we'd be seeing the same scenario as Wii U where by now they would all have long since abandoned the platform.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 29 January 2021

Agente42 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

The impression and reality are two different things. Witchter 3 have good sales. A late, late port. 

If studios could anticipate a million sales then more AAA ports would happen. But its also a tiny fraction of what the game has sold in general. Hence, good sales for an already popular game.

Switch is a popular platform for RPGs. Diablo 3 and Skyrim have also done well. Other ports that could thrive would be Fallout games. 

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

curl-6 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

It does depend on the game and is a case-by-case thing, but at this point Switch has had enough successful third party ventures that they're still coming as it approaches its 4th year, with no sign of stopping. If there really was no money to be made as ryuzaki suggests, we'd be seeing the same scenario as Wii U where by now they would all have long since abandoned the platform.

The Wii U is a different story. It sold so poorly that Nintendo stopped supporting it instantly. Even BotW sold under 2 million. But I suspect Wii U production already ended at that point.

For what its worth I think Just Dance stuck around for a while.

Recently Completed