By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch Is Attracting A Large amount of Non-Console owners, Research Suggests: 25% of Owners Have No other console

Mr Puggsly said:
curl-6 said:

It does depend on the game and is a case-by-case thing, but at this point Switch has had enough successful third party ventures that they're still coming as it approaches its 4th year, with no sign of stopping. If there really was no money to be made as ryuzaki suggests, we'd be seeing the same scenario as Wii U where by now they would all have long since abandoned the platform.

The Wii U is a different story. It sold so poorly that Nintendo stopped supporting it instantly. Even BotW sold under 2 million. But I suspect Wii U production already ended at that point.

For what its worth I think Just Dance stuck around for a while.

Well yeah, that's kinda the point, Wii U was a different story; third parties couldn't find success on it, so after the first year they bailed. With the Switch, it's still getting plenty of third party games in its fourth year, which proves ryuzaki's point wrong about there being no money to be made and only Just Dance and Nintendo games selling.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

The Wii U is a different story. It sold so poorly that Nintendo stopped supporting it instantly. Even BotW sold under 2 million. But I suspect Wii U production already ended at that point.

For what its worth I think Just Dance stuck around for a while.

Well yeah, that's kinda the point, Wii U was a different story; third parties couldn't find success on it, so after the first year they bailed. With the Switch, it's still getting plenty of third party games in its fourth year, which proves ryuzaki's point wrong about there being no money to be made and only Just Dance and Nintendo games selling.

Well the OG Wii sold ~100 million, had plenty of 3rd party sipport, but was weak support considering the audience size.

The Wii U had the opposite problem. Low sales and that naturally meant little support. Had it sold better it would have received more ports.

Compared to those two though, Switch support is pretty strong. The quality of the content is arguably the best, unless you really like SNES games.

But people aren't comparing Switch's 3rd party support to past Nintendo consoles. They are comparing it to Xbox and Playstation. Which isn't quite fair for some obvious reasons.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I haven’t had as much fun with a console as I have had with the Switch since the Snes. This little hybrid is amazing. I just can’t stop buying games.

Btw I have 4 consoles at home: an SNES, a Sega Genesis, a Wii and a Switch.  Lol

Last edited by Valdney - on 31 January 2021

Eagle367 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Exactly what I was thinking. The casual market, kids, etc.

If you were a fan of Wii, DS or 3DS, then you might consider a Switch.

Actually, if you were a fan of PS2, NES, SNES, Sega, PS1, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3, PSP, PS Vita, or whatever other console, then you might consider a switch. If you don't buy into silly little console wars then the switch is an attractive system for hardcore gamers, casual market, kids, adults, even some really old adults. The only ones being immature are silly little fanboys and fangirls who think a console makes a man/woman or define adulthood somehow. Some 3-year-old kids are more mature than that.

I find it’s delightful that anti-fans are breaking down over Nintendo’s success with the Switch.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
Eagle367 said:

Actually, if you were a fan of PS2, NES, SNES, Sega, PS1, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3, PSP, PS Vita, or whatever other console, then you might consider a switch. If you don't buy into silly little console wars then the switch is an attractive system for hardcore gamers, casual market, kids, adults, even some really old adults. The only ones being immature are silly little fanboys and fangirls who think a console makes a man/woman or define adulthood somehow. Some 3-year-old kids are more mature than that.

I find it’s delightful that anti-fans are breaking down over Nintendo’s success with the Switch.

I don't get people who get angry over a console seeling and doing well. I don't like people trying to minimize the console somehow like they they did with the Wii and are trying with the switch. Why be so negative is beyond me.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
curl-6 said:

Well the OG Wii sold ~100 million, had plenty of 3rd party sipport, but was weak support considering the audience size.

The Wii U had the opposite problem. Low sales and that naturally meant little support. Had it sold better it would have received more ports.

Compared to those two though, Switch support is pretty strong. The quality of the content is arguably the best, unless you really like SNES games.

But people aren't comparing Switch's 3rd party support to past Nintendo consoles. They are comparing it to Xbox and Playstation. Which isn't quite fair for some obvious reasons.

As you say though, that's hardly an apples to apples comparison. And ryuzaki's claim wasn't that third parties sold less on Switch than Xbox and Playstation, it was that there "no money to be made" for third parties and that only Nintendo games and Just Dance sell on it, which is factually, demonstrably incorrect.

Eagle367 said:

Very well said

curl-6 said:
ryuzaki57 said:

It has been clear for some time that the mainstream audience represents the crushing majority of new switch owners. Mario Kart 8 DX is back as best-selling Switch game in some places, which is very telling. The big problem for Nintendo now is that this inflating audience is only buying 1st party software, ignoring 3rd party games that are not Just Dance. The closer Switch comes to the moment it will decline, the clearer it becomes for 3rd parties that there's no money to be made. So despite the large install-base, (big) 3rd parties might actually invest increasingly less.

Haha, tell that to Momotaro, which cracked 2 million in its first couple of months in a single country, or Monster Hunter Rise, the biggest third party exclusive yet which will arrive in Switch's 4th year. Third party support on Switch has been increasing year after year, not decreasing.

[...]

I mean, if any of that was true, we wouldn't be heading into the Switch's 4th year on the market with plenty of third party software in the pipeline like Monster Hunter Rise, Bravely Default II, Apex Legends, Rune Factory 5, Shin Megami Tensei V, Subnautica, Monster Hunter Stories 2, a new RE according to the guy who leaked Monster Hunter, etc. 

But Momotaro is a family-friendly game, hence perfectly fit for Switch's mainstream audience. Games aimed at children & families of course have a higher chance of succeeding. I remember Bandai's fishing game has been a big commercial hit. But 3rd parties don't make that many family games so my point refers to core games. Momotaro selling 2m isn't going to encourage anyone to make Switch games, given that most companies don't target that specific audience.

The 7 games you mention don't represent "plenty of 3rd party software". Apex & Subnautica are ports and for all the others there's some sort of deal behind them. Regarding MHRise, I remember reading that the project started 4 years ago. Now Capcom has realized that Monster Hunter as well as RE are immensly more successful as multiplat games, so when their contract with Nintendo expire they will be back to PS/Xbox. There is little genuine 3rd party support on Switch and it can only diminish as studios tackle PS5/XSX development.

Mnementh said:

Oh, you are back. That is great, give us more fun posts like this one.

I have always been here, in the review section.

ryuzaki57 said:
curl-6 said:

Haha, tell that to Momotaro, which cracked 2 million in its first couple of months in a single country, or Monster Hunter Rise, the biggest third party exclusive yet which will arrive in Switch's 4th year. Third party support on Switch has been increasing year after year, not decreasing.

[...]

I mean, if any of that was true, we wouldn't be heading into the Switch's 4th year on the market with plenty of third party software in the pipeline like Monster Hunter Rise, Bravely Default II, Apex Legends, Rune Factory 5, Shin Megami Tensei V, Subnautica, Monster Hunter Stories 2, a new RE according to the guy who leaked Monster Hunter, etc. 

But Momotaro is a family-friendly game, hence perfectly fit for Switch's mainstream audience. Games aimed at children & families of course have a higher chance of succeeding. I remember Bandai's fishing game has been a big commercial hit. But 3rd parties don't make that many family games so my point refers to core games. Momotaro selling 2m isn't going to encourage anyone to make Switch games, given that most companies don't target that specific audience.

The 7 games you mention don't represent "plenty of 3rd party software". Apex & Subnautica are ports and for all the others there's some sort of deal behind them. Regarding MHRise, I remember reading that the project started 4 years ago. Now Capcom has realized that Monster Hunter as well as RE are immensly more successful as multiplat games, so when their contract with Nintendo expire they will be back to PS/Xbox. There is little genuine 3rd party support on Switch and it can only diminish as studios tackle PS5/XSX development.

Now you're gatekeeping third party support behind arbitrary guidelines. It's like saying "there's no women in this town if you don't count blondes, brunettes, women who wear glasses or women over 25."

You've been beating this drum of Switch being on the verge of imminent collapse since 2017. It hasn't happened. On the contrary, it is flourishing.

Nintendo is a key piller in why the gaming industry is still relevant. They did it with the Wii aswell. Many laugh at Nintendo's attempts in some generations however fail to understand how important they are and their ideas.