By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Jan 2-9 - Switch Best-Seller as PS5 and XS Stock Remains Low

Dulfite said:
Chrkeller said:

No reason for a switch pro when sales continue to be absurd.

Personally I hope there isn't a Switch Pro and they just do a DSI-level new model. Make it more convenient in some way, not able to play games the regular Switches can't like the New 3ds, then release Switch 2 in 2023. 

That being said, companies do R&D years ahead of time, back when they don't know what sales would be like. So if they had a Pro planned out 1-3 years ago, do they just release it anyway or do they not and accept all the wasted resources that went into designing/developing the pro in the first place?

Take the learnings and apply it to the Switch 2.  I think 2023 or 2024 is a good time for a Switch 2.  I am guessing the technology jump will be quite significant.  

Around the Network

I propose that each weekly article from now on is getting the addendum "The Cliff Edition" that way once the switch drops you were right

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

The 3DS sell-through is only 30k lower than it's official final shipment numbers, so that's presumably the most it can sell this year (approximately). Its sales might already look slow now, but it actually won't be able to keep up this pace for very long.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch Sales Comparison Charts Through January 9 

Year to Date Sales Comparison (Same Periods Covered)

Market Share (Same Periods Covered)

2018 – (Week ending January 13 to January 13)

2019 – (Week ending January 12 to January 12)

2020 – (Week ending January 11 to January 11)

2021 – (Week ending January 9 to January 9)

"Year to date" sales for 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021 sales are shown in series at the top of the table and then just below a comparison of 2021 versus 2020 and 2021 versus 2019 is displayed.  This provides an easy-to-view summary of all the data.

Total Sales and Market Share for Each Year

Microsoft

• Xbox One – Down Year-on-Year 16,632 (-40.3%)
  • Xbox Series X|S – n/a

Nintendo

• Nintendo Switch - Up Year-on-Year 131,710 (40.7%)
  • Nintendo 3DS – Down Year-on-Year 18,768 (-93.0%)

Sony

• PlayStation 4 – Down Year-on-Year 105,553 (-60.4%)
  • PlayStation 5 – n/a

Great comparison. I do think adding 2014 for PS4 and XBO would ve beneficial to compare the first full year with the PS5 and XBSX.

Yeah, I'm also in the camp of hoping the "Switch Pro" isn't a big power upgrade, as an original Switch owner I don't wanna be screwed over and locked out of some games.

Just give it more storage, maybe a better screen, and a dock with 4K upscaling tech.

Save the power jump for a proper successor in 2024.

Around the Network

Why would they make exclusive games on Switch Pro and forget about the 80mil+ Switch + Lite owners? Because that strategy obviously didnt work for the New 3DS. I still believe a Switch Home which comes with the Switch Pro controller, Bigger internal storage and just improves existent Switch games would be a better idea. It doesnt make the OG Switch be removed from the market.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Chrkeller said:

No reason for a switch pro when sales continue to be absurd.

Switch pro is needed to expand the switch as the iPhone one type phenomenon not just a regular gaming console. To be fair, it’s already heading that way due to COVID.

Either way it’s 100% happening. There are info leaks out of China about supply chain and screen manufacturers just like before the switch lite came out. The only thing missing is an actual picture of the case of the device itself from the factory which I suspect will leak soon enough.

Jranation said:

Why would they make exclusive games on Switch Pro and forget about the 80mil+ Switch + Lite owners? Because that strategy obviously didnt work for the New 3DS. I still believe a Switch Home which comes with the Switch Pro controller, Bigger internal storage and just improves existent Switch games would be a better idea. It doesnt make the OG Switch be removed from the market.

This is same tired question. That strategy didn’t work for New 3Ds but sure worked for the switch.

Switch itself was a clean break from any system prior. Remember when Pokémon fans were mad about sword and shield being a switch exclusive? Or did people forget about that already? They tried with same tired argument about install base of how 3ds has more “install base” than the switch.

The same argument was looming over the switch first couple of years of how they shouldn’t abandon the 3ds due to “install” base completely ignoring the fact switch is way more attracting platform with a buzzling active user base.

They could abandon the switch OG any time they want. Throw it the garbage and vomit on it even. As long as the upgrade path is attractive to consumer. People will move on. 

wohufana said:

The Switch will fall off the cliff because Nintendo already released all their big guns.

The Switch will fall off the cliff once the much more powerful PS5 and XB Series S/X are released.

The Switch will fall off the cliff because it lacks AAA games from third parties.

The Switch will fall off the cliff once the hybrid gimmick subsides.

The Switch will fall off the cliff because Sony owns Europe.

The Switch will fall off the cliff because mobile phones conquer the handheld market.

The Switch will fall off the cliff because......................

We need to bring back that Wii U blackboard - but instead of "will save the Wii U", it should say "will stop the Switch"

curl-6 said:
PAOerfulone said:

Imagine saying to yourself 4 years ago that this would happen. How would you have reacted?

4 years ago I would've struggled to believe Switch could reach 77 million sales lifetime much less by the midpoint of it's lifecycle.

To be fair, most people thought so back then: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/221574/early-nintendo-switch-sales-predictions/1/

I also only thought it would reach in total where we are now due to the price tag...