By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Jan 2-9 - Switch Best-Seller as PS5 and XS Stock Remains Low

Any word on when PS5 and XS/X enter the graph on the homepage? My bad if it was answered recently.

Around the Network

Damn, microsoft has a tough competitor on Nintendo 3DS in Japan, let's see if they come back

Ryotsu said:

Damn, microsoft has a tough competitor on Nintendo 3DS in Japan, let's see if they come back

The XBSX should eventually have better weekly sales than the 3DS in Japan but that's only because Nintendo doesn't produce the 3DS anymore.

Last edited by TruckOSaurus - on 22 January 2021

Signature goes here!

No reason for a switch pro when sales continue to be absurd.

Chrkeller said:

Personally I hope there isn't a Switch Pro and they just do a DSI-level new model. Make it more convenient in some way, not able to play games the regular Switches can't like the New 3ds, then release Switch 2 in 2023. 

That being said, companies do R&D years ahead of time, back when they don't know what sales would be like. So if they had a Pro planned out 1-3 years ago, do they just release it anyway or do they not and accept all the wasted resources that went into designing/developing the pro in the first place?

Around the Network
Qwark said:

Why is everyone expecting Sony and Microsoft to produce more consoles. The hardware to make these consoles is scarce and usually consoles don't sell 15 million units in their first year, simply because they can't make them fast enough. The PS4 also only sold 14 million units its first year. That console its hardware was also dated at the start so the chips where easier to produce. Around summer Sony and Microsoft should be able to ramp up the numbers. It also probably doesn't help that the machines share many components like the CPU.

Sony was the one who announced they had ramped up production, immediately refuted the Bloomberg report that they were having production issues, and touted the PS5 as "the biggest console launch ever".  It's barely tracking above the PS4 at this point in time (4.48m sold by 1/4/2014 in just NA & PAL), despite the PS5 having launched 2 weeks earlier in Europe, and 3 months earlier in Japan.  Sony was the one who set the expectations that their would be vastly more PS5's out now than there were PS4's in early 2014.

Dulfite said:
Chrkeller said:

Personally I hope there isn't a Switch Pro and they just do a DSI-level new model. Make it more convenient in some way, not able to play games the regular Switches can't like the New 3ds, then release Switch 2 in 2023. 

That being said, companies do R&D years ahead of time, back when they don't know what sales would be like. So if they had a Pro planned out 1-3 years ago, do they just release it anyway or do they not and accept all the wasted resources that went into designing/developing the pro in the first place?

agreed, but new switch + with dlss and more storage and more internal memory

Dulfite said:
Chrkeller said:

Well, one of the new rumors going around is that Nintendo is planning to update the dock, rather than the Switch itself.  So, the dock would upscale the games without a new model of Switch needing to be released.  In that case, I think original Switch owners wouldn't have to worry about being barred from buying certain Switch games in the future.  The OG models just wouldn't benefit from the upscaling that the new Docks would be capable of.  If the rumor is true, and if I'm understanding what it implies that is.

Mandalore76 said:
Dulfite said:

Well, one of the new rumors going around is that Nintendo is planning to update the dock, rather than the Switch itself.  So, the dock would upscale the games without a new model of Switch needing to be released.  In that case, I think original Switch owners wouldn't have to worry about being barred from buying certain Switch games in the future.  The OG models just wouldn't benefit from the upscaling that the new Docks would be capable of.  If the rumor is true, and if I'm understanding what it implies that is.

dock upgrade is a wrong move.

Switch power is a dynamic style of play. You choose when and how you play your games. A powerful dock is a wrong move.

Agente42 said:
Mandalore76 said:

dock upgrade is a wrong move.

Switch power is a dynamic style of play. You choose when and how you play your games. A powerful dock is a wrong move.

What if that is their end goal going forward though? What I mean is, release device with dock (Switch 1 and Dock 1), then release a "pro dock" years later that can enhance the Switch 1's capabilities on TV, then release the Switch 2 after that (which not only performs better in handheld than Switch 1, but performs MUCH better in docked mode because of Pro Dock/Dock 2), then release Dock 3 which enhances the Switch 2 further on TV mode, followed by Switch 3, etc.

If that is what they are planning on the "mid gen" upgrades looking like in the future I could get behind that because then it wouldn't make our handheld Switch's obsolete until the next actual generation comes out 6-7 years later.