By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda Breath of the Wild is overrated.

mZuzek said:

You're not supposed to be exploring for "god tier" weapons. The reward of exploring the game is just more weapons, that's why the durability system is so important. If weapons didn't break, getting more weapons would be pointless. The whole game is designed around this system, it makes every weapon you get meaningful, because you're more than likely going to burn through them all.

That isn't to say the game couldn't work without a different reward system, it totally could. However, they decided to go with this reward system and for what it is, weapons breaking are crucial to the game.

Personally, I never had an issue with weapons breaking, if anything I thought that mechanic added a lot of fun to the game.

It made weapons meaningless to me, just fight with whatever the last enemy dropped, replace it with what the next enemy drops. I would have loved to keep more varied weapons on me, different ice, fire, magic weapons etc, to experiment. But limited inventory and stuff breaking all the time made it pointless to hang on to stuff to use at other parts of the map.

Anyway it didn't hinder me much. I played BotW for 170 hours, explored every last bit of the map, no fast travel. No memorable weapons or shields, literally can't remember any of the weapons, just the master sword. Great game, but the weapon system was not part of the greatness.

Around the Network
Fei-Hung said:

I've heard a lot about this, mostly because the dungeons are as good as previous games. Do t know how true any of it is, but I defo don't like the weapons breaking.

Since LttP and Ocarina are in my top 10 games of all time, I picked up Immortals recently and am loving it. Someone who has played both, how does Immortals stack up next to BotW?

Immortals is a good game but it's not even in the same league as BOTW.

The former succeeds as a light-hearted and well made open world adventure but lacks anything to make it truly great, the way that, say, BOTW's interwoven physics and chemistry system did for it.

Fei-Hung said:

I've heard a lot about this, mostly because the dungeons are as good as previous games. Do t know how true any of it is, but I defo don't like the weapons breaking.

Since LttP and Ocarina are in my top 10 games of all time, I picked up Immortals recently and am loving it. Someone who has played both, how does Immortals stack up next to BotW?

I would say BotW is on a completely different level. It's way better. But Fenyx rising is fun, has a better weapons system and the dialogue between Zeus and Prometheus is the heart of the game. Even though it's cheesy, I do love it.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Fei-Hung said:

If you want a somewhat alternate perspective, I really love this youtuber, I think that he does a good job of articulating his points and perspective (even if obviously not everyone will agree): 

I don't like the game at all and genuinely think it's massively overrated.

I'm also fully aware this is a minority opinion, at least on forums.

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Fei-Hung said:

If you want a somewhat alternate perspective, I really love this youtuber, I think that he does a good job of articulating his points and perspective (even if obviously not everyone will agree): 

Thanks. That video is matching pretty well with my own opinions about Fenyx. I was very much enjoying the cheesy dialogue from Zeus and Prometheus, especially if it referenced the more spicy versions of greek mythology without spellign it out.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

mZuzek said:
SvennoJ said:

It made weapons meaningless to me, just fight with whatever the last enemy dropped, replace it with what the next enemy drops. I would have loved to keep more varied weapons on me, different ice, fire, magic weapons etc, to experiment. But limited inventory and stuff breaking all the time made it pointless to hang on to stuff to use at other parts of the map.

Anyway it didn't hinder me much. I played BotW for 170 hours, explored every last bit of the map, no fast travel. No memorable weapons or shields, literally can't remember any of the weapons, just the master sword. Great game, but the weapon system was not part of the greatness.

That's the thing, I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to remember the weapons.

I personally don't get the fuss over videogame weapons, it's never been something I've grown attached to in any game, unless it's something like the Master Sword where there's a story reason behind it. But so many people will get a strong and cool-looking weapon in a game and grow so attached to it, I honestly just can't relate. And I think it's clear Breath of the Wild wasn't made for people like that.

The problem is (imo), lots of people are accustomed to play a game just for extrinsic rewards...and that's because most AAA titles have accustomed them play that way. ie. I complete the task -> reward -> I get to see the next piece of narrative; I finish the side mission -> I get a new rare item; I beat 500 enemies -> I get a trophy to display online...etc.

BOTW is a game designed to be played for intrinsic rewards -> the act of playing itself is the reward...in the specific case of BOTW in my experience, the act of discovery was the main reward for playing the game.

BOTW is the only game I can remember that I played more than 10 hours in a row. It's an outstanding game with excellent gameplay. Only the four beasts felt a bit underwhelming.

When Ubisoft starts to copy a game then you know it has a successful formula.

freebs2 said:

The problem is (imo), lots of people are accustomed to play a game just for extrinsic rewards...and that's because most AAA titles have accustomed them play that way. ie. I complete the task -> reward -> I get to see the next piece of narrative; I finish the side mission -> I get a new rare item; I beat 500 enemies -> I get a trophy to display online...etc.

BOTW is a game designed to be played for intrinsic rewards -> the act of playing itself is the reward...in the specific case of BOTW in my experience, the act of discovery was the main reward for playing the game.

Yet as I said earlier, the fragile weapons undermine the act of discovery. Experimenting with weapons on different enemies quickly breaks that weapon.

However as a silver lining, it did encourage experimenting with environmental kills, using the environment to the best advantage and the magic tools. Yet keeping a weapon that gives of light or warmth for exploration meant giving up space for those paper weapons needed to survive while exploring. Maybe some like that kind of trade off, to me it just slows the game down.

Anyway BotW is very much a reward based game, it's all about more hearts, more grip, more inventory slots, more recipes, better gear, more enchantments, while weapons were the odd one out.

Since I made this post I've begun a playthrough of the Wii U version. Its actually enjoyable to replay when you have a much better understanding of what you should do. It generally runs fine, but when you step into a village or a stable it must be killing the CPU because that's worst performance I've seen thus far (20 fps, maybe lower).

Having a Switch Lite has made me realize the Wii U tablet screen is fucking awful. Its blurry and the colors are muted. It actually becomes difficult to distinguish tiny objects like on a map because its so blurry. In comparison, the Switch Lite screen is very sharp, bright and the color is vivid.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)