By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda Breath of the Wild is overrated.

Fei-Hung said:

I've heard a lot about this, mostly because the dungeons are as good as previous games. Do t know how true any of it is, but I defo don't like the weapons breaking.

Since LttP and Ocarina are in my top 10 games of all time, I picked up Immortals recently and am loving it. Someone who has played both, how does Immortals stack up next to BotW?

Immortals is a good game but it's not even in the same league as BOTW.

The former succeeds as a light-hearted and well made open world adventure but lacks anything to make it truly great, the way that, say, BOTW's interwoven physics and chemistry system did for it.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
Fei-Hung said:

I've heard a lot about this, mostly because the dungeons are as good as previous games. Do t know how true any of it is, but I defo don't like the weapons breaking.

Since LttP and Ocarina are in my top 10 games of all time, I picked up Immortals recently and am loving it. Someone who has played both, how does Immortals stack up next to BotW?

I would say BotW is on a completely different level. It's way better. But Fenyx rising is fun, has a better weapons system and the dialogue between Zeus and Prometheus is the heart of the game. Even though it's cheesy, I do love it.



Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Fei-Hung said:

I've heard a lot about this, mostly because the dungeons are as good as previous games. Do t know how true any of it is, but I defo don't like the weapons breaking.

Since LttP and Ocarina are in my top 10 games of all time, I picked up Immortals recently and am loving it. Someone who has played both, how does Immortals stack up next to BotW?

If you want a somewhat alternate perspective, I really love this youtuber, I think that he does a good job of articulating his points and perspective (even if obviously not everyone will agree): 



I don't like the game at all and genuinely think it's massively overrated.

I'm also fully aware this is a minority opinion, at least on forums.



AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Fei-Hung said:

I've heard a lot about this, mostly because the dungeons are as good as previous games. Do t know how true any of it is, but I defo don't like the weapons breaking.

Since LttP and Ocarina are in my top 10 games of all time, I picked up Immortals recently and am loving it. Someone who has played both, how does Immortals stack up next to BotW?

If you want a somewhat alternate perspective, I really love this youtuber, I think that he does a good job of articulating his points and perspective (even if obviously not everyone will agree): 

Thanks. That video is matching pretty well with my own opinions about Fenyx. I was very much enjoying the cheesy dialogue from Zeus and Prometheus, especially if it referenced the more spicy versions of greek mythology without spellign it out.



3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
SvennoJ said:

It made weapons meaningless to me, just fight with whatever the last enemy dropped, replace it with what the next enemy drops. I would have loved to keep more varied weapons on me, different ice, fire, magic weapons etc, to experiment. But limited inventory and stuff breaking all the time made it pointless to hang on to stuff to use at other parts of the map.

Anyway it didn't hinder me much. I played BotW for 170 hours, explored every last bit of the map, no fast travel. No memorable weapons or shields, literally can't remember any of the weapons, just the master sword. Great game, but the weapon system was not part of the greatness.

That's the thing, I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to remember the weapons.

I personally don't get the fuss over videogame weapons, it's never been something I've grown attached to in any game, unless it's something like the Master Sword where there's a story reason behind it. But so many people will get a strong and cool-looking weapon in a game and grow so attached to it, I honestly just can't relate. And I think it's clear Breath of the Wild wasn't made for people like that.

The problem is (imo), lots of people are accustomed to play a game just for extrinsic rewards...and that's because most AAA titles have accustomed them play that way. ie. I complete the task -> reward -> I get to see the next piece of narrative; I finish the side mission -> I get a new rare item; I beat 500 enemies -> I get a trophy to display online...etc.

BOTW is a game designed to be played for intrinsic rewards -> the act of playing itself is the reward...in the specific case of BOTW in my experience, the act of discovery was the main reward for playing the game.



BOTW is the only game I can remember that I played more than 10 hours in a row. It's an outstanding game with excellent gameplay. Only the four beasts felt a bit underwhelming.

When Ubisoft starts to copy a game then you know it has a successful formula.



freebs2 said:
mZuzek said:

That's the thing, I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to remember the weapons.

I personally don't get the fuss over videogame weapons, it's never been something I've grown attached to in any game, unless it's something like the Master Sword where there's a story reason behind it. But so many people will get a strong and cool-looking weapon in a game and grow so attached to it, I honestly just can't relate. And I think it's clear Breath of the Wild wasn't made for people like that.

The problem is (imo), lots of people are accustomed to play a game just for extrinsic rewards...and that's because most AAA titles have accustomed them play that way. ie. I complete the task -> reward -> I get to see the next piece of narrative; I finish the side mission -> I get a new rare item; I beat 500 enemies -> I get a trophy to display online...etc.

BOTW is a game designed to be played for intrinsic rewards -> the act of playing itself is the reward...in the specific case of BOTW in my experience, the act of discovery was the main reward for playing the game.

That's the reason why I always kept going with the game for multiple days of 10+ hours in playtime. It does the job so masterfully !



Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

freebs2 said:

The problem is (imo), lots of people are accustomed to play a game just for extrinsic rewards...and that's because most AAA titles have accustomed them play that way. ie. I complete the task -> reward -> I get to see the next piece of narrative; I finish the side mission -> I get a new rare item; I beat 500 enemies -> I get a trophy to display online...etc.

BOTW is a game designed to be played for intrinsic rewards -> the act of playing itself is the reward...in the specific case of BOTW in my experience, the act of discovery was the main reward for playing the game.

Yet as I said earlier, the fragile weapons undermine the act of discovery. Experimenting with weapons on different enemies quickly breaks that weapon.

However as a silver lining, it did encourage experimenting with environmental kills, using the environment to the best advantage and the magic tools. Yet keeping a weapon that gives of light or warmth for exploration meant giving up space for those paper weapons needed to survive while exploring. Maybe some like that kind of trade off, to me it just slows the game down.

Anyway BotW is very much a reward based game, it's all about more hearts, more grip, more inventory slots, more recipes, better gear, more enchantments, while weapons were the odd one out.



SvennoJ said:
freebs2 said:

The problem is (imo), lots of people are accustomed to play a game just for extrinsic rewards...and that's because most AAA titles have accustomed them play that way. ie. I complete the task -> reward -> I get to see the next piece of narrative; I finish the side mission -> I get a new rare item; I beat 500 enemies -> I get a trophy to display online...etc.

BOTW is a game designed to be played for intrinsic rewards -> the act of playing itself is the reward...in the specific case of BOTW in my experience, the act of discovery was the main reward for playing the game.

Yet as I said earlier, the fragile weapons undermine the act of discovery. Experimenting with weapons on different enemies quickly breaks that weapon.

Anyway BotW is very much a reward based game, it's all about more hearts, more grip, more inventory slots, more recipes, better gear, more enchantments, while weapons were the odd one out.

Hard disagree with them undermining the act of discovery. Discovery isn't about becoming stronger, it's about finding something new. I had no issue with the new stuff breaking when I used it, that was part of the fun, you have some time with each weapon and then it's time for something different.

I also wouldn't necessarily agree BotW is a "reward-based game", but I get your point on that one. The reason weapons were the odd one out is because they needed to have some kind of reward for everything you do in the game. If weapons didn't break, getting more weapons would be pointless unless they were better than what you already have - because they break, every weapon matters, so everytime you find a weapon (all the time), that's a good reward.

You know one thing I find myself constantly doing in just about every open-world or RPG game? Stopping to sell or drop the dozens of useless items I've acquired in the past hour or two. It usually takes quite a bit, just going through the inventory and getting rid of all that junk. It's boring. And not only is it boring, it kinda nullifies the entire reward system when all the loot you get is just a bunch of crap you'll never use.

In Breath of the Wild it was rare that I ever stopped to drop items I didn't need, and even if I had to do that, I could do it in a fun way (throwing weapons at enemies) which instantly breaks them and can be useful. This is why weapons break, it makes every weapon meaningful regardless of whether they are or aren't the best.

Also, this wasn't intentional from the devs, but the weapons being the "odd one" out also made them the only balanced thing about the game. When it comes to hearts, stamina, inventory, and especially food and gear, the game allows you to take everything too far and become way too overpowered, which is the main reason why the late game is nowhere near as fun as the early game.




I make music, check it out here on Bandcamp, Spotify, and Youtube!
my top 50 games