By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda Breath of the Wild is overrated.

BotW had a lot of good things going for it. The basic mechanics of the combat were good. The world was a joy to explore (though that appeal goes away once you've seen everything there is to see). The visuals were lovely. The survival mechanics and interactivity with the environments were interesting. But while the game has a solid foundation, the rest of the structure is lacking. Degrading weapons that break over time. No proper themed dungeons. Limited roster of enemy types by series standards. Heart pieces earned by completing a bunch of repetitive mini-shrines. And of course certain elements that are typical of open-world tedium, including climbing towers to be able to view parts of the world map and having to gather resources to craft things, expand your inventory slots, etc.

It's a decent enough game, but in my book it's not even the best Zelda game, much less in the running for best game ever. Overall, I give it a 7/10.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

Around the Network
Sogreblute said:

The biggest complaint I see from BOTW is the weapon durability system. While I understand people have frustrations with that, they also praise the exploration of the game. Well the durability system plays into that exploration. This is one of the reasons where Immortals Fenyx Rising fails to be like BOTW. Think about it, if you're worried about your inventory you're gonna want to explore more to get more and powerful weapons to add to your arsenal. In Immortals FR you don't feel compelled to really explore the world. Not just because you don't have to worry about inventory, but also it's a game where you go from Point A to B. BOTW let's you choose where to go and what to do. If Immortals FR was a linear game it would be almost no different than what it is now, but BOTW would be a completely different game.

People hate the durability system, but when you think about it and after playing Immortals FR you see that the durability system plays a part of exploration of the world.

I don’t think I ever ran into any issues with durability in Breath of the Wild. The only time I ran into issues with a durability system is on one of the Final Fantasy Legend games and Resident Evil 1 (AI think), possibly a Fire Emblem game.

I am not really sure why some people have such huge problems with it. While it’s been a bit, I don’t think even my kids had issues with weapon durability... dying by falling off a cliff, YES, but not running out of weapons.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

SvennoJ said:
Mar1217 said:

Tsk Tsk Tsk. My first playthrough was done following the linear path the game hinted at and I actually stopped my first playthrough after completing 2 of the 4 beast. I wasn't at the late game section yet so I was able to discovered a lot when exploring during this 2nd playthrough, I imposed myself the afore mentionned condition and doing the reversed path of the plot thread (going through the Gerudo Desert first, then the Rito's etc ...).

By doing so I understood that ennemies level scaled up faster, but so did the weapons too which meant I had access to late game weapons with added perks on a regular basis after the 40th hour of this 2nd playthrough.

Anyway, if my first playthrough was what I'd consider "love at first sight", the 2nd is what made me actually understand the decisions made by the developpement team.

Oh, I understand what they were going for. However I still disagree. I went the Gerudo, Rito route first as well, however without the knowledge of what might be useful later / somewhere else. What ingredients to look for / keep etc. Sure the weapons were stronger yet it didn't change the fact that after every fight and nearly during every fight I was in the inventory, swapping, discarding, selecting stuff. It breaks the flow, simple as that.

BotW, 96, too much inventory management :p

BotW had some odd enemy scaling as well btw. Random enemies scale with you, yet the area based enemies become super easy. Which kinda sucked since the  weapons dropped by the area based enemies are worthless for random encounters, and you don't want to use the good weapons to dispatch the fodder. More swapping! (I got harassed by those clan idiots for the longest time lol)

To be honest, it is quite cathartic to dispose of easy enemies with overleveled weapons lol, but I definitely agree on the difficulty balance of the game. Where the early game is actually a crazy good challenge, late game is a bit trivialised if you've completed most of what's to be done.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Shadow1980 said:

BotW had a lot of good things going for it. The basic mechanics of the combat were good. The world was a joy to explore (though that appeal goes away once you've seen everything there is to see). The visuals were lovely. The survival mechanics and interactivity with the environments were interesting. But while the game has a solid foundation, the rest of the structure is lacking. Degrading weapons that break over time. No proper themed dungeons. Limited roster of enemy types by series standards. Heart pieces earned by completing a bunch of repetitive mini-shrines. And of course certain elements that are typical of open-world tedium, including climbing towers to be able to view parts of the world map and having to gather resources to craft things, expand your inventory slots, etc.

It's a decent enough game, but in my book it's not even the best Zelda game, much less in the running for best game ever. Overall, I give it a 7/10.

I didn't touch the towers until last in each area. I don't get why they were in there, nothing but huge spoilers. And true, a lot of shrines, the 'challenge' ones in particular were nothing but repetitive filler content. However finding them and getting to them was often the reward, not so much what was inside.

As a Zelda game it does leave plenty to be desired, yet it did raise the bar for open world, physics based exploration type games. It left a bit of Zelda behind in becoming one of the best open world games in recent years. (apart from challenge scaling)

The formula to best put a linear story into an open world game has yet to be discovered. Perhaps it's only possible when AI advances enough to direct / adjust the story based on your actions, redesigning missions on the fly to fit your current experience and play style. When that's possible we'll actually get some next gen games.

Mar1217 said:
freebs2 said:

The problem is (imo), lots of people are accustomed to play a game just for extrinsic rewards...and that's because most AAA titles have accustomed them play that way. ie. I complete the task -> reward -> I get to see the next piece of narrative; I finish the side mission -> I get a new rare item; I beat 500 enemies -> I get a trophy to display online...etc.

BOTW is a game designed to be played for intrinsic rewards -> the act of playing itself is the reward...in the specific case of BOTW in my experience, the act of discovery was the main reward for playing the game.

That's the reason why I always kept going with the game for multiple days of 10+ hours in playtime. It does the job so masterfully !

It's semi off-topic...If you're into games focuesd on exploration and discovery (and also into some puzzle solving) I suggest you to check out Outer Wilds (be carefull of spoilers though). That game is a legitimate masterpiece... It has a completely different style of gamplay but it nails the sense of exploration even better than BOTW imo.

Last edited by freebs2 - on 05 January 2021

Around the Network
freebs2 said:

It's a semi off-topic...If you're into games focuesd on exploration and discovery (and also into some puzzle solving) I suggest you to check out Outer Wilds. That game is a legitimate masterpiece... It has a very different style of gamplay but it nails the sense of exploration even better than BOTW imo.

I've been reading lots of praise for Outer wilds, yet being on a timer goes against everything I enjoy about exploration and discovery. I don't know, it sounds interesting, yet the 22 minute start over loop is what stops me from getting it. It goes against relaxing and taking in the views, watching the sun set etc.

What do you even do the last 5 minutes of the cycle, no point in going on, just wait for it to restart? It sounds stressful.

SvennoJ said:
freebs2 said:

It's a semi off-topic...If you're into games focuesd on exploration and discovery (and also into some puzzle solving) I suggest you to check out Outer Wilds. That game is a legitimate masterpiece... It has a very different style of gamplay but it nails the sense of exploration even better than BOTW imo.

I've been reading lots of praise for Outer wilds, yet being on a timer goes against everything I enjoy about exploration and discovery. I don't know, it sounds interesting, yet the 22 minute start over loop is what stops me from getting it. It goes against relaxing and taking in the views, watching the sun set etc.

What do you even do the last 5 minutes of the cycle, no point in going on, just wait for it to restart? It sounds stressful.

The great thing about that game is that it can be all of it...it is realxing, stressfull, claustrophobic, a little creepy at times, melanchonic and peacefull all at once...depending on what are you doing, where you go in the solar system, and how you are playing. Just like BOTW the player has complete agency over progression perhaps even more...so it's up to you to decide the pacing. Of course to solve some riddles you have to be aware of time and.... yes it happens, you may have to start over some sections if time is over in an incovenient moment...but that is also part of the challange.

If you're interested to try go in knowing as little as possible...game progression is completely based your information and knowledge...any gameplay video could be a potential spoiler. It's usless to say at this point I definetly recommend it.

As for you last question...what do you do in the last 5 minutes? That's when you relax, after all the end of the loop is inevitable...

Last edited by freebs2 - on 05 January 2021

I found that the best approach to the weapons in BOTW is to treat them like ammo rather than getting attached to them. Each one is there to be deployed and replaced; by being finite I appreciated each one more, but things never got stale as my weapons loadout and thus my approach to combat was constantly changing. It kept things fresh in a way that unbreakable weapons wouldn't have. I couldn't just use my strongest weapon and neglect everything else, and I loved that.

It's like in a shooter where you run out of ammo for one gun, grab something new, use it up, grab another one, etc. 

Last edited by curl-6 - on 05 January 2021

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

freebs2 said:
SvennoJ said:

The great thing about that game is that it can be all of it...it is realxing, stressfull, claustrophobic, a little creepy at times, melanchonic and peacefull all at once...depending on what are you doing, where you go in the solar system, and how you are playing. Just like BOTW the player has complete agency over progression perhaps even more...so it's up to you to decide the pacing. Of course to solve some riddles you have to be aware of time and.... yes it happens, you may have to start over some sections if time is over in an incovenient moment...but that is also part of the challange.

If you're interested to try go in knowing as little as possible...game progression is completely based your information and knowledge...any gameplay video could be a potential spoiler. It's usless to say at this point I definetly recommend it.

As for you last question...what do you do in the last 5 minutes? That's when you relax, after all the end of the loop is inevitable...

I've been eyeing my sight at this game due to those reasons + I like myself a good puzzle/adventure game sometimes, though .... my PC wouldn't be able to run it nor is it on Switch (yet ...) so I have to abstain myself for now until the opportunity arise 

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

freebs2 said:

Sounds good, and it's 40% off atm, added to download queue :)