By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Not even halfway through this generation, Japan's home console market clinches growth

Japan is...

Cool 2 4.26%

Fascinating 7 14.89%

Awesome 2 4.26%

Kawaii 13 27.66%

Games 23 48.94%

Total:47

Whats the number like if we combine last gen home consoles and handheld to this gen?

Around the Network

People here take everything too seriously. I made a blatantly sarcastic post and most people started giving me serious replies. Also the poll question is clearly missing the option of all of the above, japan is kawaii games and kakui games and is kawaii and kakui and awesome and is awesomely cute and cutely awesome.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

I voted kawaii, but looks like Japan is hybrid.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Jranation said:

At this point it is all up to Nintendo to carry the console market in Japan unless Sony decides to make another handheld. If the next console does PS3 or PS4 numbers then we are in trouble.

nintendo basically checked sony by making the switch.

a dedicated handheld would either be too weak compared to the switch, or to expensive to justify being 'only' a handheld (last gen showed this, 250 is too expesive for a dedicated handheld to the point nintendo did an unprecidented year 1 MASSIVE price drop).

If they follow nintendo on the hybrid concept, thats leaving the power hungry western devs and users soly to microsoft.

TheBraveGallade said:
Jranation said:

At this point it is all up to Nintendo to carry the console market in Japan unless Sony decides to make another handheld. If the next console does PS3 or PS4 numbers then we are in trouble.

nintendo basically checked sony by making the switch.

a dedicated handheld would either be too weak compared to the switch, or to expensive to justify being 'only' a handheld (last gen showed this, 250 is too expesive for a dedicated handheld to the point nintendo did an unprecidented year 1 MASSIVE price drop).

If they follow nintendo on the hybrid concept, thats leaving the power hungry western devs and users soly to microsoft.

So, the choice was to leave japan behind isn't it?

Around the Network

Pardon me but this is a Misleading thread

Switch is both a handheld & console, and its a true successor to the 3DS

So going by your metric, last gen should be 37.86 Million counting the 3DS &Wii U (not counting the Vita)

Also you didn’t differentiate between Switch and Switch lite despite the Lite being 100% Handheld

B6a6es said:

Also you didn’t differentiate between Switch and Switch lite despite the Lite being 100% Handheld

He did, read again.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

S.Peelman said:

I feel like there's a caveat somewhere.

PS5 and XBS are actually PCs in disguise.

Eagle367 said:

People here take everything too seriously. I made a blatantly sarcastic post and most people started giving me serious replies. Also the poll question is clearly missing the option of all of the above, japan is kawaii games and kakui games and is kawaii and kakui and awesome and is awesomely cute and cutely awesome.

I wonder what percentage of switch owners in Japan use it as mostly a home console vs handheld.