By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - CD Projekt Red Apologizes For Hiding Base Console Performance- Offers Refunds

Will you be asking for a refund?

Yes 14 35.00%

No 26 65.00%

Total:40
Jpcc86 said:

But how can this be, CD Projekt are. Such. Perfect. Developers.

It's amazing how effectively CDPR led people into being their fans after all the shit they've pulled through the years. That's some Apple or Nintendo levels of Stockholm Syndrome right there.

A lot of folks were quick to forget that was the company that once tried to sue everyone who pirated their games and only did a 180' after they were literally laughed off it and realized there was a market niche to fill right there.

Around the Network

CDPR has turned into scumbags. I will get this game when the GOTY edition comes out on PS5 and it's used for less than $20.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

CDPR has turned into scumbags. I will get this game when the GOTY edition comes out on PS5 and it's used for less than $20.

It will probably get an Ultimate edition or Complete edition, a GOTY edition is probably out the window.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Leynos said:

I would hardly call them scumbags. Yes, they made some poor choices:

• Deciding not to cancel base PS4 and XB1 versions when the systems clearly can't handle the game
  • Choosing to not show the base PS4 and XB1 versions before release
  • Holding back console reviews until after release
  • Deciding not to delay the game a 4th time, just so they could hit a Christmas release

However, look at all of the good CD Projekt does:

• The only developer/publisher I know of that still puts goodies into a standard physical version, like the good old days when physical games had manuals and such in the case, before publishers decided to cut them to save 50 cents per copy (Cyberpunk standard edition includes a map, world compendium, postcards, stickers, digital soundtrack, digital art booklet, and digital cyberpunk 2020 sourcebook)
  • Cyberpunk is getting a wave of free DLC's in 2021, just like Witcher 3 got in 2015
  • Cyberpunk's upcoming multiplayer game will be free for everybody who bought Cyberpunk 2077
  • The game itself is still great, in spite of the bugs and performance issues
  • No singleplayer lootboxes
  • Now they have apologized (something that few AAA developers and publishers do when they make a mistake), are offering help to get refunds, and have made a commitment to patch the bugs and optimize the last gen console versions

To call them scumbags isn't really fair. They are still better than most of the big publishers like EA, Activision, Take-Two/2K, Ubisoft, Square Enix, and more.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 14 December 2020

DroidKnight said:
Leynos said:

It will probably get an Ultimate edition or Complete edition, a GOTY edition is probably out the window.

CD Projekt never call their editions GOTY anyway. Witcher 3 won GOTY and they called it the Complete Edition, while Witcher 1 and 2 were called Enhanced Edition when they released. However, a publisher can call it a GOTY edition if it even wins a single GOTY award from a single outlet, I've seen it happen before. 

Around the Network

Wow it seems people think it is better for them to not apologize at all.

shikamaru317 said:
Leynos said:

• Deciding not to cancel base PS4 and XB1 versions when the systems clearly can't handle the game
  • Deciding not to delay the game a 4th time, just so they could hit a Christmas release

• The only developer/publisher I know of that still puts goodies into a standard physical version, like the good old days when physical games had manuals and such in the case, before publishers decided to cut them to save 50 cents per copy (Cyberpunk standard edition includes a map, world compendium, postcards, stickers, digital soundtrack, digital art booklet, and digital cyberpunk 2020 sourcebook)
  • Cyberpunk is getting a wave of free DLC's in 2021, just like Witcher 3 got in 2015
  • Cyberpunk's upcoming multiplayer game will be free for everybody who bought Cyberpunk 2077
  • Now they have apologized (something that few AAA developers and publishers do when they make a mistake) and are offering help to get refunds

To call them scumbags isn't really fair. They are still better than most of the big publishers like EA, Activision, Take-Two/2K, Ubisoft, Square Enix, and more.

Also, their store is currently the only option on the market for buying completely DRM-free games (except for a select list of games on Steam), meaning you actually do get to own what you buy. I bought Cyberpunk for cheaper than AAA games cost in any other store, and got an installer that needs no online activation or anything of the sort, meaning I can always have the game on any PC as long as I keep the file. You know, like, if the internet explodes or something. I also got some bonus stuff I don't necessarily care for, and more importantly, I got the official soundtrack in high quality. Not a pre-order either, I bought it a couple days after release. Not a bad deal if you ask me.

I'd say they are easily the most consumer-friendly AAA publisher out there, mostly because it's a really low standard, but the GOG store is in my opinion one of the best things that happened to gaming in the last decade. I do think they deserve criticism. It's not acceptable to release a game in a shitty state for consoles, and they should've optimized better or canceled/delayed those versions. Forcing their employees to do crunch also isn't acceptable and it's a practice that shouldn't exist in the industry, but they're far from being the only company who does this.

But people saying they're no different from every other AAA publisher... they've clearly shown that they are. They're far more consumer-friendly than all the other ones. They've done a lot of good stuff, and are still doing a lot of good stuff, which doesn't negate the fact that they also do shitty stuff. That's just how it is.

I make music, check it out here on Bandcamp, Spotify, and Youtube!
my top 50 games

shikamaru317 said:
Leynos said:

• Now they have apologized (something that few AAA developers and publishers do when they make a mistake), are offering help to get refunds, and have made a commitment to patch the bugs and optimize the last gen console versions

Still the apologist?

Didn't RDR2 come with a map? I'm pretty sure it did.

A wave of free DLCs is pretty standard nowadays with games releasing incomplete.

The multiplayer that was initially supposed to be part of the game?

The game is good, yet far from finished, there are literally still place holders in the game.

No lootboxes, that's a plus now?

I wouldn't call that an apology, more like begging to pls give them a chance, we'll whip the dev team some more to get patches out asap. Otherwise try get a refund from your retailer first, if that doesn't work you can email us, only for a week, and we might do something. (no clue what)

Some poor choices, deliberately misleading their customer base, which they so respect, while mandating crunch upon crunch to get that lovely pre-order money in the bank.

They don't care about you, just your money, like every other company. But they'll manipulate you as much as possible into defending their every move no matter how bad.

Deciding not to cancel base PS4 and XB1 versions when the systems clearly can't handle the game

Are you for real? It was targeted for PS4 and XB1 and CDPR has specifically stated that, as well as that it would look great on ps4 and XBox One.
What CDPR has shown is that they clearly can't handle a project this size.

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 14 December 2020

Random_Matt said:

Can we ban users for defending such shit?

They dont even ban users calling neil druckman cuckman and you want them to ban users for that ? Lol

foodfather said:

Well I was looking forward to this. I will wait until I have the series x. Even then, I will buy it used.

Same, i will make sure i will get it used for ps5.