By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - CD Projekt Red Apologizes For Hiding Base Console Performance- Offers Refunds

Will you be asking for a refund?

Yes 14 35.00%

No 26 65.00%

Total:40
sales2099 said:

(Watches from the sides as I wait for the next gen versions and patches)

But seriously what do some people expect when playing this on base Xbox one/PS4? It’s worse then I thought but no way would it come close to the PC version. 

Are you trying to defend this? Anyone with a base PS4/ XBO deserves to have a game that actually functions like it is intended to. Just because this game has been shown with such large scale and glitter doesn't excuse not having the game running on devices it was originally announced for.

No one is expecting this to look or play anything like an top tier PC on a base PS4 or XBO.

This is entirely on CDPR. Even questioning the consumer is preposterous imho

Around the Network
EnricoPallazzo said:

It definitely does not solve the issue or will make them recover from this huge loss of trust, but it is nice to seem a company apologize and make it very clear that they admit they shit the bed. Two questions though:
1 - Was this a calculated move since they know, out of those 8 million units sold, a huge portion is related to people than can enjoy the game right now and probably wont ask for a refund? Because PC, XSX and PS5 players are able to play it right now despite the bugs, performance is not necessarily an issue. Also it seems Xone X and PS4 Pro are pretty much playable. So most likely all these people wont ask for a refund.
2 - Wouldn't it be better to wait 6 months more and release now only for PC, XSX and PS5, and then later release for base consoles, of course followed by apologies? Investors would still make a lot of money in 2020 and the reputation impact would be much lower.

My guess is that this was a calculated move and they concluded the reputation loss doing it as they did would cost less then postponing everything for 2021.

That goes without saying.
Its without a doubt a calculated move, to make profit.

They probably think even with a few refunds, they still come off better (in terms of profits) like this.

Astral said:

A step in the right direction. I have no doubt that CDPR are committed to improving the console versions as much as possible in the future.
What is important is that the community sent a strong message to all the big publishers and developers in the industry by rejecting these practises. This is a positive outcome imo.

Thats a fantasy land like defense force comment :P

They sold 8 million+ copies.
Even if they have to refund like 500k-1m (realistically doubt its even that much, most people dont use refunds), they make mad bank.

"a step in the right direction"

Refunds should be the norm, when games use false marketing and lies about its game.

"What is important is that the community sent a strong message to all the big publishers and developers in the industry by rejecting these practises."

They got away with it, they are laughing all the way to the bank.
A calculated move for profits, paid off hugely for them. Day1 they already recouped all costs of developement and more.

You think this will prevent others from burning their goodwill/goodname, in future?
Nope.

Theres money people in charge at the top, that only care about money.
Most other game studios would likely pull the same move, if they thought it was the right way to go about makeing the most money.
Its just a matter of risk accessment, and seeing how well it turned out for CDproject red, there's not likely to be any impact on others doing same in future. (if it worked for CDPR, why couldnt it work for us?)

twintail said:
sales2099 said:

(Watches from the sides as I wait for the next gen versions and patches)

But seriously what do some people expect when playing this on base Xbox one/PS4? It’s worse then I thought but no way would it come close to the PC version. 

Are you trying to defend this? Anyone with a base PS4/ XBO deserves to have a game that actually functions like it is intended to. Just because this game has been shown with such large scale and glitter doesn't excuse not having the game running on devices it was originally announced for.

No one is expecting this to look or play anything like an top tier PC on a base PS4 or XBO.

This is entirely on CDPR. Even questioning the consumer is preposterous imho

I’m not defending bugs. And yes CD did falsely advertise. But I never believed for a second you can get what we saw in trailers from the base last gen consoles. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Has there been any title that only ran on PS4 Pro or Xbox One X and not the base consoles?

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network

I know most people are in outrage culture, entitlement, bash CD Projekt mode right now, but honestly I just feel bad for everybody there. They've busted their butts for years making this game, delayed it 3 times, and were stuck with a decision of either delaying it a 4th time or releasing as is and fixing it with patches. They chose the latter. Was it the best choice? Maybe not, I'm sure the suits didn't want to miss out on Christmas sales, but it probably would have caused less damage to delay a 4th time. But I'm glad to hear that they have plans to not only fix the bugs, but to optimize the last gen console versions. Personally I'm enjoying the game on my Series X, the graphics are good enough, the bugs are small enough that they aren't affecting my overall enjoyment, so I personally am glad that I didn't have to wait months to play it due to a 4th delay, though I understand why those on base PS4 and XB1 are upset, the game looks like pre-patch Ark Survival Evolved just about.

Random_Matt said:

Can we ban users for defending such shit?

Right after you’re banned for saying the CP devs were doing slave labor LOL

Anyways I hope this satisfies those with pitchforks. 

shikamaru317 said:

I know most people are in outrage culture, entitlement, bash CD Projekt mode right now, but honestly I just feel bad for everybody there. They've busted their butts for years making this game, delayed it 3 times, and were stuck with a decision of either delaying it a 4th time or releasing as is and fixing it with patches. They chose the latter. Was it the best choice? Maybe not, I'm sure the suits didn't want to miss out on Christmas sales, but it probably would have caused less damage to delay a 4th time. But I'm glad to hear that they have plans to not only fix the bugs, but to optimize the last gen console versions. Personally I'm enjoying the game on my Series X, the graphics are good enough, the bugs are small enough that they aren't affecting my overall enjoyment, so I personally am glad that I didn't have to wait months to play it due to a 4th delay, though I understand why those on base PS4 and XB1 are upset, the game looks like pre-patch Ark Survival Evolved just about.

Read this and decide if you want to feel bad for 'everybody' there
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/j87tuk/jason_schreier_i_asked_a_couple_of_cdpr_devs_if/g8bxk68/
There seem to be some deep running issues in the company

shikamaru317 said:

They know for a long time that the last gen console versions would be horrible. They maybe should have cancelled the last gen versions be honest that the consoles were not strong enough for what they wanted to, sure sales would be not great from the start but it would build up while now their future potential sales are hurt with what is happening now.

Honestly, I'm kind of surprised that anyone expected this game to run well on base PS4 and XB1, it's why I made sure to buy a Series X before the game released. I saw the writing on the wall years ago personally. CD Projekt's Red engine is very CPU demanding, Witcher 3 has significant framerate drops in Novigrad, which is the largest city in the game, and those framerate drops are CPU related, it's why Digital Foundry has used Witcher 3 as a CPU benchmarking title for years. Cyberpunk's Night City is larger, denser, and even more CPU demanding than Witcher 3's Novigrad, there is no way it is ever running at a locked 30 fps on base XB1 and PS4, even with these optimizations they are promising for the base console versions, and it's all thanks Sony and MS making the bad decision to use Jaguar CPU's (these CPU's have caused issues all generation, they were responsible for the downgrades on both Watch Dogs and Witcher 3, they have caused framerate issues on some games all gen, they are the reason why we've seen barely any AI or crowd size improvements compared to 7th gen). On top of that, Cyberpunk is also alot more GPU demanding than Witcher 3 was. This game was just never going to run well on base hardware.

Honestly, CD Projekt should have cancelled the current-gen console versions and just released it on Xbox Series and PS5 only, but I understand why they didn't, the 8th gen install base is huge, over 160m, they would have to wait until at least early 2022 for a PC/PS5/XS only release to be viable from a business sense, due to how slow install base grows on new consoles, it's why pretty much all of the AAA multiplats announced for 2021 already are cross-gen (Far Cry 6, Hogwarts Legacy, Gotham Knights, etc.). 

Where CD Projekt went wrong was not showing that performance was bad on PS4 and XB1 before release. They could have showed gameplay on those platforms in the same videos where they showed XB1 X/Series X and PS4 Pro/PS5. Some would have still bought it on PS4/XB1 because they just don't care about graphics or framerate, but some would have chosen to wait to play it until they got a PS5 or Xbox Series, and this outrage would have been far lower.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 14 December 2020