By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - CD Projekt Red Apologizes For Hiding Base Console Performance- Offers Refunds

Will you be asking for a refund?

Yes 14 35.00%

No 26 65.00%

Total:40

Has there been any title that only ran on PS4 Pro or Xbox One X and not the base consoles?

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network
Random_Matt said:

Can we ban users for defending such shit?

Right after you’re banned for saying the CP devs were doing slave labor LOL

Anyways I hope this satisfies those with pitchforks. 

shikamaru317 said:

I know most people are in outrage culture, entitlement, bash CD Projekt mode right now, but honestly I just feel bad for everybody there. They've busted their butts for years making this game, delayed it 3 times, and were stuck with a decision of either delaying it a 4th time or releasing as is and fixing it with patches. They chose the latter. Was it the best choice? Maybe not, I'm sure the suits didn't want to miss out on Christmas sales, but it probably would have caused less damage to delay a 4th time. But I'm glad to hear that they have plans to not only fix the bugs, but to optimize the last gen console versions. Personally I'm enjoying the game on my Series X, the graphics are good enough, the bugs are small enough that they aren't affecting my overall enjoyment, so I personally am glad that I didn't have to wait months to play it due to a 4th delay, though I understand why those on base PS4 and XB1 are upset, the game looks like pre-patch Ark Survival Evolved just about.

Read this and decide if you want to feel bad for 'everybody' there
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/j87tuk/jason_schreier_i_asked_a_couple_of_cdpr_devs_if/g8bxk68/
There seem to be some deep running issues in the company

shikamaru317 said:

I know most people are in outrage culture, entitlement, bash CD Projekt mode right now, but honestly I just feel bad for everybody there. They've busted their butts for years making this game, delayed it 3 times, and were stuck with a decision of either delaying it a 4th time or releasing as is and fixing it with patches. They chose the latter. Was it the best choice? Maybe not, I'm sure the suits didn't want to miss out on Christmas sales, but it probably would have caused less damage to delay a 4th time. But I'm glad to hear that they have plans to not only fix the bugs, but to optimize the last gen console versions. Personally I'm enjoying the game on my Series X, the graphics are good enough, the bugs are small enough that they aren't affecting my overall enjoyment, so I personally am glad that I didn't have to wait months to play it due to a 4th delay, though I understand why those on base PS4 and XB1 are upset, the game looks like pre-patch Ark Survival Evolved just about.

They know for a long time that the last gen console versions would be horrible. They maybe should have cancelled the last gen versions be honest that the consoles were not strong enough for what they wanted to, sure sales would be not great from the start but it would build up while now their future potential sales are hurt with what is happening now.

JRPGfan said:
Astral said:

A step in the right direction. I have no doubt that CDPR are committed to improving the console versions as much as possible in the future.
What is important is that the community sent a strong message to all the big publishers and developers in the industry by rejecting these practises. This is a positive outcome imo.

Thats a fantasy land like defense force comment :P

They sold 8 million+ copies.
Even if they have to refund like 500k-1m (realistically doubt its even that much, most people dont use refunds), they make mad bank.

"a step in the right direction"

Refunds should be the norm, when games use false marketing and lies about its game.

"What is important is that the community sent a strong message to all the big publishers and developers in the industry by rejecting these practises."

They got away with it, they are laughing all the way to the bank.
A calculated move for profits, paid off hugely for them. Day1 they already recouped all costs of developement and more.

You think this will prevent others from burning their goodwill/goodname, in future?
Nope.

Theres money people in charge at the top, that only care about money.
Most other game studios would likely pull the same move, if they thought it was the right way to go about makeing the most money.
Its just a matter of risk accessment, and seeing how well it turned out for CDproject red, there's not likely to be any impact on others doing same in future. (if it worked for CDPR, why couldnt it work for us?)

Nah, I have zero intention to defend CDRP. I don't even like their games very much.
You are looking at the surface only, the sales number. Are you aware that there stock value went down by a decent amount because of this situation? This has directly affected the shareholders / investor interest in the company. After big releases companies expect a rise in the market cap, not the opposite.

I do believe a strong message was delivered to the industry. But I didn't say that the industry was forever changed by that.

https://www.investing.com/equities/cdproject

Last edited by Astral - on 14 December 2020

Around the Network

I dont know how to feel about this one. Yes, they lied about the performance, but every company does that. Its not like Fallout 3 for example crashed during any trailers. That game was broken.(I still played the hell out of it though.lol)

Yeah, I dont know. They apologized and are offering a full refund. Thats pretty much unheard of in this industry. I appreciate that at least.

Ill just keep my copy. Have only played it for about an hour. Only saw some blurry and slower loading textures so far. Not a big deal. They promise to fix it, so thats good enough for me. No hard feelings here.

shikamaru317 said:
Astral said:

Nah, I have zero intention to defend CDRP. I don't even like their games very much.
You are looking at the surface only, the sales number. Are you aware that there stock value went down by a decent amount because of this situation? This has directly affected the shareholders / investor interest in the company. After big releases companies expect a rise in the market cap, not the opposite.

I do believe a strong message was delivered to the industry. But I didn't say that the industry was forever changed by that.

Their stock price was overvalued to begin with honestly, it got driven up by overhype for Cyberpunk, hype they were never going to be able to deliver on. Somehow their market cap was higher than Ubisoft, an entire publisher with 18,000 employees and about a dozen big IP's, compared to CD Projekt having 1,111 employees and no owned IP (both Witcher and Cyberpunk are licensed from other companies). Can't say I'm surprised by their stock price dropping some after the controversy. Will go back up some soon thanks to the high sales and the updates that fix the game next year and optimize it for next-gen. They also have the multiplayer Cyberpunk game coming which is sure to be a big success. 

The price of the stock will definitely go up because it is the nature of the market. It is in a strong buy zone at the moment. If I was in the market I would definitely buy some CDRP's stocks right now. More demand for the stock = rising value. However, that is mostly for small short term investors who don't really care about the company itself. Unlike major shareholders which can be disturped by sudden drops. And the company has to answer to them. But I agree with you. If CDPR played it right in the upcoming weeks everyone will probably be happy at the next shareholders meeting.

Yea releasing the game on ps4/x1 was not a good idea. Maybe they needed the money or they didn't want to throw away the amount of work the put in but regardless, running as low as 15fps with rarely hitting even 30 is unacceptable on any console.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I brought the PC version, its quite good, however i haven't seen the console versions. I feel for those excited for it and got a rubble.
The game should have just released on PC and came to consoles afterwards, maybe when they optimized the XSX and PS5 versions. Would of saved face.

sales2099 said:

(Watches from the sides as I wait for the next gen versions and patches)

But seriously what do some people expect when playing this on base Xbox one/PS4? It’s worse then I thought but no way would it come close to the PC version. 

I don't think the issue was downgrades, we've been used to that since 2014 when Watch Dogs came out. But this game runs at an average of 20 - 25 fps. These aren't just drops, thats the base framerate most of the time and thats appalling.