By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - CD Projekt Red Apologizes For Hiding Base Console Performance- Offers Refunds

Will you be asking for a refund?

Yes 14 35.00%

No 26 65.00%

Total:40

You know what I will give them some credit.

At least they apologised.

Now the reason I am giving them some credit because when Nintendo console gets a dog pile of shit and gamers don't buy it, oh the console has "no Audience" rather than sorry we fucked up thinking Nintendo gamers are stupid and will buy it anyway.

Now how I feel, they should have put out an early copy to say 1000 gamers on each system (based on some criteria, maybe hours spent playing witcher 3) and just delayed it to 2021 and let the small user base find all the bugs and fixe them.

Around the Network
finalrpgfantasy said:

8 years of development is not enough time?  

Pre-production started in 2016. 

As of additional conference statements:

- they didn't show last gen gameplay before launch because they had believed that will make it work with last moment work/patch. They miscalculated the scale of issues.

-CEOs took entire responsibility for Console version disaster. They admitted to have been more focused on game publishing and to ignore signals from production team concerning old-gen version issues.

(Watches from the sides as I wait for the next gen versions and patches)

But seriously what do some people expect when playing this on base Xbox one/PS4? It’s worse then I thought but no way would it come close to the PC version. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

But how can this be, CD Projekt are. Such. Perfect. Developers.

They should have prioritized the PC release and just left PS4, XB1, Stadia, etc. out of the picture. It was never going to run well on a base model PS4 or XB1 without delays into 2021. PC gamers should have been able to get this game in August, and console gamers should have been made to wait.

Around the Network
sales2099 said:

But seriously what do some people expect when playing this on base Xbox one/PS4? It’s worse then I thought but no way would it come close to the PC version. 

It's one of the great advantages of consoles that you don't have to worry about "Will I be able to run it?" so if a game is available for PS4, it should run well on a base PS4.

Signature goes here!

Random_Matt said:

Can we ban users for defending such shit?

you want to ban people for having a different opinion than you?

Lmao, No.

EnricoPallazzo said:

It definitely does not solve the issue or will make them recover from this huge loss of trust, but it is nice to seem a company apologize and make it very clear that they admit they shit the bed. Two questions though:
1 - Was this a calculated move since they know, out of those 8 million units sold, a huge portion is related to people than can enjoy the game right now and probably wont ask for a refund? Because PC, XSX and PS5 players are able to play it right now despite the bugs, performance is not necessarily an issue. Also it seems Xone X and PS4 Pro are pretty much playable. So most likely all these people wont ask for a refund.
2 - Wouldn't it be better to wait 6 months more and release now only for PC, XSX and PS5, and then later release for base consoles, of course followed by apologies? Investors would still make a lot of money in 2020 and the reputation impact would be much lower.

My guess is that this was a calculated move and they concluded the reputation loss doing it as they did would cost less then postponing everything for 2021.

That goes without saying.
Its without a doubt a calculated move, to make profit.

They probably think even with a few refunds, they still come off better (in terms of profits) like this.

Astral said:

A step in the right direction. I have no doubt that CDPR are committed to improving the console versions as much as possible in the future.
What is important is that the community sent a strong message to all the big publishers and developers in the industry by rejecting these practises. This is a positive outcome imo.

Thats a fantasy land like defense force comment :P

They sold 8 million+ copies.
Even if they have to refund like 500k-1m (realistically doubt its even that much, most people dont use refunds), they make mad bank.

"a step in the right direction"

Refunds should be the norm, when games use false marketing and lies about its game.

"What is important is that the community sent a strong message to all the big publishers and developers in the industry by rejecting these practises."

They got away with it, they are laughing all the way to the bank.
A calculated move for profits, paid off hugely for them. Day1 they already recouped all costs of developement and more.

You think this will prevent others from burning their goodwill/goodname, in future?
Nope.

Theres money people in charge at the top, that only care about money.
Most other game studios would likely pull the same move, if they thought it was the right way to go about makeing the most money.
Its just a matter of risk accessment, and seeing how well it turned out for CDproject red, there's not likely to be any impact on others doing same in future. (if it worked for CDPR, why couldnt it work for us?)

twintail said:
sales2099 said:

Are you trying to defend this? Anyone with a base PS4/ XBO deserves to have a game that actually functions like it is intended to. Just because this game has been shown with such large scale and glitter doesn't excuse not having the game running on devices it was originally announced for.

No one is expecting this to look or play anything like an top tier PC on a base PS4 or XBO.

This is entirely on CDPR. Even questioning the consumer is preposterous imho

I’m not defending bugs. And yes CD did falsely advertise. But I never believed for a second you can get what we saw in trailers from the base last gen consoles. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.