By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - CD Projekt Red Apologizes For Hiding Base Console Performance- Offers Refunds

Will you be asking for a refund?

Yes 14 35.00%

No 26 65.00%

Total:40
mZuzek said:
SvennoJ said:

No Man's sky was single player... Multiplayer was feature creep which they eventually had to put in.

It was literally promised before the game released.

Not the kind of multiplayer people were expecting and was eventually implemented
https://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/12/10/stop-thinking-of-no-man-s-sky-as-a-multiplayer-game.aspx
But true they had a form of being able to see others in game in mind. Essentially it was and still is a single player game, now with co-op options.

The hype got away from them, however CDPR carefully managed and flamed the hype at every single turn. They ran out of time, got caught with their pant down. Hopefully they learn from this mess. Hello Games turned things around, it's never too late. In the end actions speak louder than words. Stop with the PR and at least first inform Sony and MS that they'll refund the game before promising one thing while platform holders and retailers are still set to their no refund policy.

Around the Network

good on them to offer refunds

One thing that stands out to me is the Platform holders need to have a performance aspect included in their accreditation process.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

mZuzek said:
SvennoJ said:

Not the kind of multiplayer people were expecting and was eventually implemented
https://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/12/10/stop-thinking-of-no-man-s-sky-as-a-multiplayer-game.aspx
But true they had a form of being able to see others in game in mind. Essentially it was and still is a single player game, now with co-op options.

The hype got away from them, however CDPR carefully managed and flamed the hype at every single turn. They ran out of time, got caught with their pant down. Hopefully they learn from this mess. Hello Games turned things around, it's never too late. In the end actions speak louder than words. Stop with the PR and at least first inform Sony and MS that they'll refund the game before promising one thing while platform holders and retailers are still set to their no refund policy.

I mean... Personally, I find Cyberpunk in its current state to be a far more enjoyable game than No Man's Sky in its current state. Not even close. So, whatever I guess.

What does that have to do with the bad release and the lies? Of course personal taste varies.

I would enjoy a buggy Cyberpunk over the most polished CoD game as well.

Good they at least admit some guilty, but their actions are very bad, they truly deserve lawsuit for false advertisement. They have had several delays because the product wasn't finished and we either had rumors or they publicly saying that was due to optimization to gen 8 consoles. Still the game runs with a lot of issues on PC as well, is a mess on gen 8 consoles (even more on base), and next gen will be after almost 6 months later release (because there they would have less sales anyway).
So it was a calculated thing, they didn't release earlier not because there were to many bugs, but certainly because some aspects weren't finished even in a poor state. The excuse that they underestimate the complexity or the state of their workers is a joke as well, unless they had monkeys on management board.
They didn't delay to cover the bugs because they wanted the 8M sales of preorder right now.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Vodacixi said:
Dulfite said:

I can tell your mother was/is good at laying down harsh, loving truth! :)

It totally is xD

But I must be thankful for that. I lied a lot when I was younger. And thanks to her I realized that trying to cover up my mistakes with lies (specially to the people I love) was one of the worst things you could do to yourself and your loved ones. 

Anyway, let's go back to CDProjekt xD

No need to get back to CDPR, their CEOs needed to have a mother like yours =p

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

sales2099 said:

(Watches from the sides as I wait for the next gen versions and patches)

But seriously what do some people expect when playing this on base Xbox one/PS4? It’s worse then I thought but no way would it come close to the PC version. 

Yes, people should accept that consoles will run it at 15fps so it doesn't get close to PC, and 720p at that so no one will confuse it with PC =p

CDPR made a very big blunder here. No one is expecting PS4 or X1 to run the game as good as a PC with a 3080, but the game should run smooth (close to locked 30fps) and at least base 720p without looking complete vaseline with very bad models.

finalrpgfantasy said:
Kristof81 said:

8 years of development is not enough time?  

Not to be an apologist (I still think CD Projekt not showing the state of the console games before release was shady), but a lot of the stuff they worked on to make the game "future-proof" like ray-tracing and other PC-pushing features weren't available 8 years ago. I think the issue was they bit off way more than they could chew in terms of scope and kept adding features so that when the actual time came for it to drop, nothing was as polished as it should have been.

shikamaru317 said:
Chazore said:

This is so accurate that it hurts to laugh.

OT: The more I look at Jason's interview with a few CDPR devs, the more I'm starting to truly believe the game was literally cobbled together within 2ish years, and not the full 8. Like I get that they were also working on Witcher 3 and it's DLC, but even by then they had enough devs to work on concept stages, concept mechanics, basically trying to nail down their entire scope and vision.

Turns out they must have wasted at least 5-6 years on storyboards and concepts, and not nailing those within the first 2 years (seriously, movies have their scripts and the like written out and nailed within up to 3 years, provided the movie is not in long limbo). I want to know just exactly why their top brass thought it was a good idea to just dick around for 6 years and then decide "oh shit, we gotta crunch the fuck out of this, c'mon slaves you guys can do it, we and the shareholders believe in you!".

Also, yeah, shareholders, fuck'em, I hate shareholders, because more and more as each year goes by, those guys are being treated almost like first class customers over the damn fucking main target, which is supposed to be us, not them, and they deceived everyone but the shareholders. 

What annoys me here, is that this was supposed to be a studio, run by a company that touts non bullshittery, DRM free style business, but in the end they ended up just like all the bad companies out there, and to make matters worse, they've released the game at a late time of year, late enough that they don't  (more like can't) have to work as fast to get the game up to scratch, hence why their excuse is now "oh we'll hotfix in 7 days, but now you're going to have to wait two months for us to sort out all the bugs and then move onto optimisation", and this includes both last gen, current gen and PC. 

This is such a fuck up and a mess that it's unreal.

What annoys me further is that they're all going to be working from home, which means less coordination, longer times to test stuff and iron out performance, and this all means we'll be waiting longer to play the game as it should have been, with DLC also likely being pushed back. Let's be real, who else is going to stick around till summer for the DLC?, because I'm pretty sure most people will have moved onto bigger heavy hitting games well by then.

CEO's, top brass and shareholders need far more heftier punishments for these kind of fuck ups, it's getting beyond stupid and annoying how they can reap benefits, while everyone else, (devs included) are just flat out screwed over. 

I can tell you right now that it didn't get the full 8 years. I definitely remember that even though they had between 50-100 people on the Cyberpunk team from 2012 to 2015, alot of them got pulled off in early 2015 to help with Witcher 3 crunch. I also remember reading an interview somewhere where they said that most of the work that was done from 2012-2015 got cancelled, because it was built on Red Engine 3 as I recall, and they decided to build a new Red Engine 4 and restart development on it. So most of the first year on the restarted version was probably engine programming. Alot of gameplay systems also changed in those years, for instance it was once supposed to have 3rd and 1st person options, but 3rd person was cancelled later on. They once talked about needing to buy a translation chip to understand different languages, but now the game gives you a translation chip for subtitles right out of the gate. There was talk of flying cars at one point early on, but those got dropped. 

Game was definitely announced too soon, they should have waited until after Witcher 3 was released to announce it, 2012 announce was a big mistake. 

It is a 8 year project, and what you are saying if true again show they took a long time to define the scope then entered crushing to finish (a thing you discredited because it was Jason Schreier). Sorry but a team of 50-100 devs for 3 years would have released a full game, so no matter the engine storyline, scope, etc could have been finished in that timeframe.

KLAMarine said:

good on them to offer refunds

They aren't really though, sigh

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-12-15-the-cyberpunk-2077-refund-situation-is-a-mess-of-mixed-messages

What is becoming clear is that CD Projekt's statement referenced existing refund policies - and no exceptions are being made for Cyberpunk 2077.

In an emergency investor relations call last night, CD Projekt's SVP of business development, Michał Nowakowski confirmed as much.

"One has to understand: Microsoft and Sony have refund policies for every product that is released digitally on their storefronts," Nowakowski said.

In CD Projekt's statement issued yesterday, it mentioned an email address customers could use if they were turned down for a refund by a retailer. "We will do our best to help you," the company said. But it is unclear exactly what help CD Projekt can offer here, with refunds ultimately at the behest of customer service staff from shops.

Further muddying the waters, CD Projekt co-founder Marcin Iwiński has now said the company is "not encouraging gamers to return the game".