By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - CD Projekt Red Apologizes For Hiding Base Console Performance- Offers Refunds

 

Will you be asking for a refund?

Yes 14 35.00%
 
No 26 65.00%
 
Total:40
finalrpgfantasy said:
EnricoPallazzo said:

Wow it seems people think it is better for them to not apologize at all.

The issue isn't if they apologize or not.  The issue is that they knew the console version was in a bad state, and they didn't show it beforehand.

Yet, people complain about their apologies about that.

Of course I would prefer "we were forced by the shareholders to release the game whatever the state so revenue could be recorded in 2020" but at least they recognized they fucked up. Yet people complain about the apologies. Well, its the internet.

Still I think they will recover and this will only be another corporative horror story.



Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

I agree Witcher 3 wasn't the best at release, and we all saw how well they patched it over time, that is one reason why people are more forgiving of Cyberpunk issues on release, we know they will fix it eventually, unlike say Bethesda with Skyrim, where you need to download an unofficial fan patch from the mod store to have a good experience, 9 years later. 

All 3 of those games are games with multiplayer. Name a singleplayer game that got as much free DLC as Witcher 3 please. I can't think of any, though I could be missing something. 

It'll be 100+ hours for me because I am doing all content in the game. I'm already over 20 hours and I have only done like 90% of the side content in the Watson district and the prologue main story missions (up until the point when Johnny shows up), there is still alot of main missions, I think 4 more districts of side content, and the wasteland outside the city side content for me to do, pretty sure I will hit over 100 hours. It's not as big as Witcher 3, where a competitionist run could hit over 150 hours, but it's still very big.

I can't say that I pay enough attention to world clutter while playing a game to notice that everybody owns a deed to a mango farm. If I was that nitpicky with games I wouldn't enjoy any of them probably.

They didn't know the final specs of PS4 and XB1 when Red Engine 3 was designed, which is why Witcher 3 got downgraded after it's initial gameplay trailers and early screenshots. I remember an interview where a CD Projekt dev said they were expecting closer to 3 tflops with a good mid-range laptop CPU for PS4 and Xbox One, instead they got 1.3 and 1.8 tflops with Jaguar tablet class CPU cores. As for Red Engine 4, which Cyberpunk uses, it was built with next-gen performance in mind from what I've read. This game was never going to run well on base PS4 and XB1, the writing was on the wall. 

Witcher 3 runs on Switch, but it does so with a very low resolution, paired back graphics settings that are lower than PC low settings in some cases I think, and drops as low as 20 fps in Novigrad. I will be impressed if they can actually get Cyberpunk on PS4 and XB1 up to at least 25-30 fps without lowering the resolution and graphics settings even lower than they already are. 

I played a great version of Skyrim on PSVR, over 130 hours with DLC included. But true, there was one point that was not fixed and I had to glitch through a door to continue. It was a night and day difference with the experience I had on PS3 though.

No Man's sky was single player... Multiplayer was feature creep which they eventually had to put in. Anyway what does it matter if it's multiplayer or not, both DriverClub and GT Sport were pay once, get tons of DLC added without further cost. There are probably others, can't think of any atm. Besides that, this is what you're glorifying you got for free.

Temerian Armor Set
Beard and Hairstyle Set
Witcher Contract: Missing Miners
Alternate Look For Yennefer
Nilfgaardian Armor Set
Elite Crossbow Set
New Quest: Fool's Gold
Ballad Heroes: Neutral Gwent Card Set
Scavenger Hunt: Wolf School Gear
Alternate Look For Triss
Skellige's Most Wanted
New Quest: Where The Cat and Wolf Play
Alternative Look For Ciri
New Finisher Animations
New Game Plus

That doesn't even compare to what some games give you in one piece. Anyway this is all nitpicking, TW3 is firmly in the top 10
https://gamerant.com/free-dlc-better-than-paid-content/
CDPR is great at drip feeding little pieces of content to stay in the news. It was the same with TW2. Pre-order bonuses didn't unlock due to the drm they used. The codes didn't work for most people, bugged. The DRM got patched out and pre-order bonuses given to everyone. What else could they do, but amazing way to turn a screw up into the best PR event, no more DRM, free content.

Goodluck keeping your interest up. Death stranding kept my interest for close to 300 hours (first play through off-line was already 180 hours, second online was 61 hours then I continued maximizing and completing everything) so I'll probably get plenty out of Cyberpunk as well, when it's ready, fixed and completed.

They didn't know the completed specs..... They sure knew them when fitting TW3 in, which came out 5 years ago. So either they all suffer from memory loss, expected the consoles to magically become faster, or knew full well what was up long before Cyberpunk development shifted into full gear.

It can run on ps4 and XOne, there is nothing demanding in the game besides the graphics. Those can be toned down without needing to resort to resolution drops and haphazardly removing stuff. This is what you get when you think scalability can fix everything and try to fit it on by tweaking some sliders and resolution settings. It simply needs some time which they did not have due to bad planning. I imagine that it's currently trying to pump through too high polygon assets and textures designed for 4K. The assets will need to be adjusted for the base console versions and that takes time, no quick fix.




Another King is falling. CD Project RED is one of the last triple A developer who's not yet bought by one of big players. This made it automatically the company to be admired, the company that gamers hail for, the company that truly understands the gamers because they are of the same "blood" as the gamers... . But here we see finally their true face: just another bunch of assholes wanting to milk the consumers and don't give a fuck about their experience!

Deep from my heart I wish them all the bad reviews they get, all the backlash and hopefully the game will be a financial disaster for them! Also, I have absolutely no compassion to the thousands of hours of overwork they had to do, all the Saturdays and Sundays they had to work. It was a mismanagement from the get-go and the Executives deserves to get "beheaded" for it! At the very least it should have been clear that this game shouldn't be released for the PS4 and Xbox One. I do know that all the suffering employees have no guilt as they just did what they were ordered to do but I hope that with this bad experience, both with the final product and the private disaster, that they will leave the company in mass and work elsewhere, there's lot of demand for such talented people in Eastern Europe and elsewhere! Just leave this shit company and let it die! It's no loss if we would never ever see a new game from this shit-crap company!

Last edited by Fight-the-Streets - on 14 December 2020

Fight-the-Streets said:

Another King is falling. CD Project RED is one of the last triple A developer who's not yet bought by one of big players. This made it automatically the company to be admired, the company that gamers hail for, the company that truly understands the gamers because they are of the same "blood" as the gamers... . But here we see finally their true face: just another bunch of assholes wanting to milk the consumers and don't give a fuck about their experience!

Deep from my heart I wish them all the bad reviews they get, all the backlash and hopefully the game will be a financial disaster for them! Also, I have absolutely no compassion to the thousands of hours of overwork they had to do, all the Saturdays and Sundays they had to work. It was a mismanagement from the get-go and the Executives deserves to get "beheaded" for it! At the very least it should have been clear that this game shouldn't be released for the PS4 and Xbox One. I do know that all the suffering employees have no guilt as they just did what they were ordered to do but I hope that with this bad experience, both with the final product and the private disaster, that they will leave the company in mass and work elsewhere, there's lot of demand for such talented people in Eastern Europe and elsewhere! Just leave this shit company and let it die! It's no loss if we would never ever see a new game from this shit-crap company!

Calling for the execution of individuals by beheading is really sick.  

Last edited by DroidKnight - on 14 December 2020

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

SvennoJ said:

No Man's sky was single player... Multiplayer was feature creep which they eventually had to put in.

It was literally promised before the game released.




I make music, check it out here on Bandcamp, Spotify, and Youtube!

Around the Network

They had to release it cause their share holders were getting angry. If you bought the game I say just hold on to it for 2 or 3 months till they patch it. They say jan and feb 2 big patches coming.



SvennoJ said:

This is so accurate that it hurts to laugh.

OT: The more I look at Jason's interview with a few CDPR devs, the more I'm starting to truly believe the game was literally cobbled together within 2ish years, and not the full 8. Like I get that they were also working on Witcher 3 and it's DLC, but even by then they had enough devs to work on concept stages, concept mechanics, basically trying to nail down their entire scope and vision.

Turns out they must have wasted at least 5-6 years on storyboards and concepts, and not nailing those within the first 2 years (seriously, movies have their scripts and the like written out and nailed within up to 3 years, provided the movie is not in long limbo). I want to know just exactly why their top brass thought it was a good idea to just dick around for 6 years and then decide "oh shit, we gotta crunch the fuck out of this, c'mon slaves you guys can do it, we and the shareholders believe in you!".

Also, yeah, shareholders, fuck'em, I hate shareholders, because more and more as each year goes by, those guys are being treated almost like first class customers over the damn fucking main target, which is supposed to be us, not them, and they deceived everyone but the shareholders. 

What annoys me here, is that this was supposed to be a studio, run by a company that touts non bullshittery, DRM free style business, but in the end they ended up just like all the bad companies out there, and to make matters worse, they've released the game at a late time of year, late enough that they don't  (more like can't) have to work as fast to get the game up to scratch, hence why their excuse is now "oh we'll hotfix in 7 days, but now you're going to have to wait two months for us to sort out all the bugs and then move onto optimisation", and this includes both last gen, current gen and PC. 

This is such a fuck up and a mess that it's unreal.

What annoys me further is that they're all going to be working from home, which means less coordination, longer times to test stuff and iron out performance, and this all means we'll be waiting longer to play the game as it should have been, with DLC also likely being pushed back. Let's be real, who else is going to stick around till summer for the DLC?, because I'm pretty sure most people will have moved onto bigger heavy hitting games well by then.

CEO's, top brass and shareholders need far more heftier punishments for these kind of fuck ups, it's getting beyond stupid and annoying how they can reap benefits, while everyone else, (devs included) are just flat out screwed over. 



Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
SvennoJ said:

This is so accurate that it hurts to laugh.

OT: The more I look at Jason's interview with a few CDPR devs, the more I'm starting to truly believe the game was literally cobbled together within 2ish years, and not the full 8. Like I get that they were also working on Witcher 3 and it's DLC, but even by then they had enough devs to work on concept stages, concept mechanics, basically trying to nail down their entire scope and vision.

Turns out they must have wasted at least 5-6 years on storyboards and concepts, and not nailing those within the first 2 years (seriously, movies have their scripts and the like written out and nailed within up to 3 years, provided the movie is not in long limbo). I want to know just exactly why their top brass thought it was a good idea to just dick around for 6 years and then decide "oh shit, we gotta crunch the fuck out of this, c'mon slaves you guys can do it, we and the shareholders believe in you!".

Also, yeah, shareholders, fuck'em, I hate shareholders, because more and more as each year goes by, those guys are being treated almost like first class customers over the damn fucking main target, which is supposed to be us, not them, and they deceived everyone but the shareholders. 

What annoys me here, is that this was supposed to be a studio, run by a company that touts non bullshittery, DRM free style business, but in the end they ended up just like all the bad companies out there, and to make matters worse, they've released the game at a late time of year, late enough that they don't  (more like can't) have to work as fast to get the game up to scratch, hence why their excuse is now "oh we'll hotfix in 7 days, but now you're going to have to wait two months for us to sort out all the bugs and then move onto optimisation", and this includes both last gen, current gen and PC. 

This is such a fuck up and a mess that it's unreal.

What annoys me further is that they're all going to be working from home, which means less coordination, longer times to test stuff and iron out performance, and this all means we'll be waiting longer to play the game as it should have been, with DLC also likely being pushed back. Let's be real, who else is going to stick around till summer for the DLC?, because I'm pretty sure most people will have moved onto bigger heavy hitting games well by then.

CEO's, top brass and shareholders need far more heftier punishments for these kind of fuck ups, it's getting beyond stupid and annoying how they can reap benefits, while everyone else, (devs included) are just flat out screwed over. 

I can tell you right now that it didn't get the full 8 years. I definitely remember that even though they had between 50-100 people on the Cyberpunk team from 2012 to 2015, alot of them got pulled off in early 2015 to help with Witcher 3 crunch. I also remember reading an interview somewhere where they said that most of the work that was done from 2012-2015 got cancelled, because it was built on Red Engine 3 as I recall, and they decided to build a new Red Engine 4 and restart development on it. So most of the first year on the restarted version was probably engine programming. Alot of gameplay systems also changed in those years, for instance it was once supposed to have 3rd and 1st person options, but 3rd person was cancelled later on. They once talked about needing to buy a translation chip to understand different languages, but now the game gives you a translation chip for subtitles right out of the gate. There was talk of flying cars at one point early on, but those got dropped. 

Game was definitely announced too soon, they should have waited until after Witcher 3 was released to announce it, 2012 announce was a big mistake. 



shikamaru317 said:

I can tell you right now that it didn't get the full 8 years. I definitely remember that even though they had between 50-100 people on the Cyberpunk team from 2012 to 2015, alot of them got pulled off in early 2015 to help with Witcher 3 crunch. I also remember reading an interview somewhere where they said that most of the work that was done from 2012-2015 got cancelled, because it was built on Red Engine 3 as I recall, and they decided to build a new Red Engine 4 and restart development on it. So most of the first year on the restarted version was probably engine programming. Alot of gameplay systems also changed in those years, for instance it was once supposed to have 3rd and 1st person options, but 3rd person was cancelled later on. They once talked about needing to buy a translation chip to understand different languages, but now the game gives you a translation chip for subtitles right out of the gate. There was talk of flying cars at one point early on, but those got dropped. 

Game was definitely announced too soon, they should have waited until after Witcher 3 was released to announce it, 2012 announce was a big mistake. 

Honestly though, I'm going to put that all on management, because they are the ones who are supposed to direct and lead staff into working on what parts at what time, the same folk who also push for crunch at stupid times.

Fire the assholes, the incompetent and get someone who actually knows 100% what they are doing at a more sensible and logical time. We're humans yes, but we've better people out there who aren't completely stupid, or selfish. 

They announced it too early (just like we're seeing with a few publishers as per usual), but another portion of that blame has to go with those actually managing the workflow and what's going on within the company. 



Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

DroidKnight said:
Fight-the-Streets said:

Another King is falling. CD Project RED is one of the last triple A developer who's not yet bought by one of big players. This made it automatically the company to be admired, the company that gamers hail for, the company that truly understands the gamers because they are of the same "blood" as the gamers... . But here we see finally their true face: just another bunch of assholes wanting to milk the consumers and don't give a fuck about their experience!

Deep from my heart I wish them all the bad reviews they get, all the backlash and hopefully the game will be a financial disaster for them! Also, I have absolutely no compassion to the thousands of hours of overwork they had to do, all the Saturdays and Sundays they had to work. It was a mismanagement from the get-go and the Executives deserves to get "beheaded" for it! At the very least it should have been clear that this game shouldn't be released for the PS4 and Xbox One. I do know that all the suffering employees have no guilt as they just did what they were ordered to do but I hope that with this bad experience, both with the final product and the private disaster, that they will leave the company in mass and work elsewhere, there's lot of demand for such talented people in Eastern Europe and elsewhere! Just leave this shit company and let it die! It's no loss if we would never ever see a new game from this shit-crap company!

Calling for the execution of individuals by beheading is really sick.  

Yes it is sick, that's why there's a big difference between beheaded and "beheaded".