By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - CD Projekt Red Apologizes For Hiding Base Console Performance- Offers Refunds

Will you be asking for a refund?

Yes 14 35.00%

No 26 65.00%

Total:40
SvennoJ said:
KLAMarine said:

good on them to offer refunds

They aren't really though, sigh

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-12-15-the-cyberpunk-2077-refund-situation-is-a-mess-of-mixed-messages

What is becoming clear is that CD Projekt's statement referenced existing refund policies - and no exceptions are being made for Cyberpunk 2077.

In an emergency investor relations call last night, CD Projekt's SVP of business development, Michał Nowakowski confirmed as much.

"One has to understand: Microsoft and Sony have refund policies for every product that is released digitally on their storefronts," Nowakowski said.

In CD Projekt's statement issued yesterday, it mentioned an email address customers could use if they were turned down for a refund by a retailer. "We will do our best to help you," the company said. But it is unclear exactly what help CD Projekt can offer here, with refunds ultimately at the behest of customer service staff from shops.

Further muddying the waters, CD Projekt co-founder Marcin Iwiński has now said the company is "not encouraging gamers to return the game".

Yep if they truly wanted to refund people they would have the e-mail to setup how it would be done (like returning a disc) and them giving a gift card or wired transfer. But nope they are just stating the obvious "use the refund already available, if you need us we will pretend nothing happened".

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:

Yep if they truly wanted to refund people they would have the e-mail to setup how it would be done (like returning a disc) and them giving a gift card or wired transfer. But nope they are just stating the obvious "use the refund already available, if you need us we will pretend nothing happened".

Even more damming, apparently

CDPR are not responding to GOG refund requests, either.

Good news is though, unlike Sony, people have no problem getting refunds from MS

SvennoJ said:
DonFerrari said:

Good news is though, unlike Sony, people have no problem getting refunds from MS

Their own platform not giving refunds to their own game is bizarre to say the least.

Seems like some people have been able to get refund from Sony, (one even claimed Sony rep on phone said they would release a business complain against CDPR) but yep from what we usually hear it is much easier to get refunds from MS, possibly from Steam as well.

shikamaru317 said:
DonFerrari said:

It is a 8 year project, and what you are saying if true again show they took a long time to define the scope then entered crushing to finish (a thing you discredited because it was Jason Schreier). Sorry but a team of 50-100 devs for 3 years would have released a full game, so no matter the engine storyline, scope, etc could have been finished in that timeframe.

I'm sorry, you think that a team of 50-100 devs can release a large scale AAA/AAAA game in 3 years? That is crazy. The current game we have now had 5 years of development with a team ranging between 250-500 devs (growing over time) and it had the full 500 for like the final year of development, and it is still buggy and running poorly on consoles. There is no way that the original small team that worked on it from 2012-2015 could have released Cyberpunk in 2015, especially since they decided they needed to upgrade their engine to make the game work. 

Have I said a 50-100 devs can release a AAA/AAAA game? Nope I said a team this size can release a game in this period, so to pretend the development didn't start back them because "only" 50-100 devs were involved in those 3 years is ludicrous.

There is no work around the incompetence of the developer. It is a 8 year project that still got 3 delays, plenty of false promises, and released very poorly with they knowing it.

You have made a great effort to try and defend CDPR and spread their guilty on the matter when it is 100% on them and bad project management and false marketing.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
SvennoJ said:

Their own platform not giving refunds to their own game is bizarre to say the least.

Seems like some people have been able to get refund from Sony, (one even claimed Sony rep on phone said they would release a business complain against CDPR) but yep from what we usually hear it is much easier to get refunds from MS, possibly from Steam as well.

To be fair, GoG doesn't sell the console version and they didn't say the PC version was included for refund options (what options?)

In their eyes there is nothing wrong with the PC version, they dodged those questions by shifting complaints on the PC version as coming from console players. Meanwhile there are over 2,700 threads on Steam with technical problems on Cyberpunk, over 20% have left a not recommended review while plenty recommended reviews still state, game is great despite the bugs, better get a good pc or don't bother.

The terrible state the base console version is in is covering for the issues on PC, and the fact that a lot is missing / unfinished / not as promised.

It will all be fixed eventually, but they should have just launched it as early access on PC while withholding the console versions for now. They would still have made plenty money from early access sales while keeping their reputation intact.

SvennoJ said:
DonFerrari said:

Is MS better than Sony at giving refunds?

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
DonFerrari said:

Have I said a 50-100 devs can release a AAA/AAAA game? Nope I said a team this size can release a game in this period, so to pretend the development didn't start back them because "only" 50-100 devs were involved in those 3 years is ludicrous.

There is no work around the incompetence of the developer. It is a 8 year project that still got 3 delays, plenty of false promises, and released very poorly with they knowing it.

You have made a great effort to try and defend CDPR and spread their guilty on the matter when it is 100% on them and bad project management and false marketing.

A team that size can make a game in 3 years, but not Cyberpunk, which is what you seemed to be implying. I already told you that those first 3 years of work got scrapped. It's an 8 year project technically, but really only 5 years since they scrapped those early years work by moving to a new build of the engine. It's not like they had the full 500 devs on the project the entire 8 years. From what I'm reading, they not only scrapped the first 3 years of work, they also didn't move any devs over from the Witcher team to the Cyberpunk team until Witcher 3's Blood And Wine expansion was finished in mid 2016.

So, Cyberpunk development looks something like this from what I can find:

2012 announcement

2013: Cyberpunk team size is at 50 devs, according to a journalist who got a tour of the studio in 2013

Early to mid 2014: Cyberpunk team has expanded to 100 devs

Late 2014: Majority of Cyberpunk team pulled off of Cyberpunk to assist with Witcher 3 crunch, after it was discovered that Witcher 3 had 5000 bugs that needed fixing and they only had time to fix 2000 of them before the old release date, meaning the game needed to be delayed to May 2015

Mid 2015: The decision is made to scrap the early work on Cyberpunk 2077 that is on Red Engine 3, and build a new Red Engine 4. Small team of programmers begin working on new engine.

Mid 2016: Work is finished on Witcher 3's Blood and Wine expansion, and Witcher 3 devs start getting moved to Cyberpunk, with Cyberpunk still officially in the pre-production phase

September 2016: Cyberpunk team size increases to over 250 devs

June 2018: Cyberpunk dev team size has increased to nearly 350 devs

February 2019: Cyberpunk team size has increased to over 400 devs

Mid 2020: Cyberpunk dev team size increases to 500 devs

That being said, there were development issues obviously. I mean Cyberpunk got about 1 more year of development than Witcher 3, with a dev team that was twice the size by the end, and somehow the game is shorter, buggier, and broken on consoles at release. There was some kind of mismanagement happening, that much is for sure.

Nope, unless you take me for a dummy there is no way you would have interpreted I said 50-100 people could make Cyberpunk in 3 years.

Some kind? It is a totally mismanaged project with a lot of lies and false promises man. And if you look for game development you'll see that the core team and early stages are on smaller team usually and you don't even need the engine to determine most of what is done at those stages. They deciding to scrap all isn't really because of the change of engine, they most likely wanted to change more stuff.

SvennoJ said:
DonFerrari said:

To be fair, GoG doesn't sell the console version and they didn't say the PC version was included for refund options (what options?)

In their eyes there is nothing wrong with the PC version, they dodged those questions by shifting complaints on the PC version as coming from console players. Meanwhile there are over 2,700 threads on Steam with technical problems on Cyberpunk, over 20% have left a not recommended review while plenty recommended reviews still state, game is great despite the bugs, better get a good pc or don't bother.

The terrible state the base console version is in is covering for the issues on PC, and the fact that a lot is missing / unfinished / not as promised.

It will all be fixed eventually, but they should have just launched it as early access on PC while withholding the console versions for now. They would still have made plenty money from early access sales while keeping their reputation intact.

PC should also be included for refund, a sale is a sale.

And worse than CDPR shift blaming to consoles are costumers themselves running with it and blaming Sony and MS for the mess.

KLAMarine said:
SvennoJ said:

It is what is usually said on the forum.

Sony and Microsoft are not innocent parties here either. Their game approval process must be pretty lax. Though I guess their major concern is whether software bricks hardware or not, not if it is buggy as hell to play.

Obviously both Sony and Microsoft were eager for the game to release as well, they probably knew the pre-order numbers, hell they both sell the game through their online stores. I doubt one wanted a situation where they denied approval and the other still allowed the game to release, essentially giving up timed exclusivity. Also there were marketing deals in place likely. Did Microsoft release that Cyberpunk branded Xbox One?

As someone with no interest in the game whatsoever who has avoided all hype materials for this game over the past few years, this is an amusing meltdown. I feel bad for gamers who were excited though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

DonFerrari said:
Vodacixi said:

It totally is xD

But I must be thankful for that. I lied a lot when I was younger. And thanks to her I realized that trying to cover up my mistakes with lies (specially to the people I love) was one of the worst things you could do to yourself and your loved ones. 

Anyway, let's go back to CDProjekt xD

No need to get back to CDPR, their CEOs needed to have a mother like yours =p

True enough. In fact, this may actually be the case. Unfortunately, we'll never know, because in order to become the CEO of a big corporation you must be able to sell your own mother if success depends on it xD

KLAMarine said:
SvennoJ said:

From anecdotal comments, yes.

Personally I've had not trouble getting refunds from Sony (PSN credit to be precise). I never needed to get anything refunded from MS, although they did offer me my dollar back when I cancelled game pass before the trial was up :)

Considering the base XBox One version is by far the worst, while most complaints seem to be for getting refunds from Sony, I would guess it's easier to get a refund from MS.

It's worse for the physical version though, good luck trying to get a refund that way :/