By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - CD Projekt Red Apologizes For Hiding Base Console Performance- Offers Refunds

Will you be asking for a refund?

Yes 14 35.00%

No 26 65.00%

Total:40
Signalstar said:

Sony and Microsoft are not innocent parties here either. Their game approval process must be pretty lax. Though I guess their major concern is whether software bricks hardware or not, not if it is buggy as hell to play.

Obviously both Sony and Microsoft were eager for the game to release as well, they probably knew the pre-order numbers, hell they both sell the game through their online stores. I doubt one wanted a situation where they denied approval and the other still allowed the game to release, essentially giving up timed exclusivity. Also there were marketing deals in place likely. Did Microsoft release that Cyberpunk branded Xbox One?

As someone with no interest in the game whatsoever who has avoided all hype materials for this game over the past few years, this is an amusing meltdown. I feel bad for gamers who were excited though.

CDPR addressed that in the conference call, one thing they take full responsibility for

When asked why the game's poor performance on last-gen consoles had not been flagged during Sony and Microsoft's certification processes, it seems that CD Projekt believed it would have these problems fixed by release, with Nowakowski saying the fault was "definitely on our side" rather than a failure by the third-party platforms.

"I can only assume that they were counting that we were going to fix things upon release," he said. "Obviously that did not come together exactly as we planned."

The approval process happens long before the game goes gold, while optimizations and fixes nowadays continue on to right before release. This is the new norm with day one patches.

And yep, MS has a Cyberpunk branded XBox One X, which of course becomes less and less relevant the longer the new gen is out.

It's indeed an amusing meltdown, or rather the final straw that broke the camel's back. This shit storm has been long in the making with pre-order hype / marketing driving release dates and the reliance on day one patches to finish games, while reviews are more like summaries / advertorials nowadays without any critical journalism. It has been getting worse and worse over the years and this time it went just a little bit too far. Too much hype, too high expectations, badly managed project, Covid-19, get it out before Christmas. And the press and everyone else kept CDPR on a pedestal, believing it will be fine on release day despite running into plenty issues on the PC version.

It's like management was caught like a deer in headlights, not finished, must release, it doesn't run right, crunch harder, day one patch will fix it. It's what happens when everyone, including CDPR itself, believes they can do no wrong. Too much pressure.

At first I thought this was more PR BS

Answering a question about why CD Projekt had not shown footage of the game running on last-gen consoles, co-founder and joint CEO Marcin Iwiński explained CD Projekt had been "updating the game on the last-gen consoles until the very last minute and we thought we'd make it on time".

"Unfortunately this resulted in giving it to reviewers just one day before the release. And that was definitely too late. We didn't give the chance for the media to review it properly... that was not intended, we were just fixing the game until the very last moment."

Now I'm starting to think they actually believed that themselves we thought we'd make it on time

Around the Network
Signalstar said:

Sony and Microsoft are not innocent parties here either. Their game approval process must be pretty lax. Though I guess their major concern is whether software bricks hardware or not, not if it is buggy as hell to play.

Y'know this has got me thinking something...

What's with today's testbed teams?. Like why on earth are companies wanting to not spend anything on hiring more than one or 3 people to test software, to make sure it's actually fully functional?.

CDPR clearly didn't test the game on low to mid range or even high end hw, let alone last gen consoles, and MS/Sony somehow didn't send anyone out to test last gen versions either.

I remember back in the day, Alpha/beta testers were actually hired and paid to test games, making sure they could find out how broken they were before launch, and even though they didn't always find every bug, they still managed to do a better job than whatever the fuck companies are hiring today, if they're hiring anyone at all that is. 

I would rate hiring beta testers as being 3rd priority to a dev studio, behind the devs and concept artists. PR and managers can take a backseat for all I care, but testing those games should be far higher on the list than at the very bottom or non existent (relying on customers to test games first-hand and fixing later, like we're now seeing with Cyberpunk).

I wanna say that Alpha/beta testing in a through manner, should be made mandatory, and it likely is and has been, but it's most definitely not being upheld, not in the past 15 years at least. I've played more buggy games than those I played way back during the Master system/Megadrive days. Quality testing needs to step the hell up. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

SvennoJ said:

CDPR addressed that in the conference call, one thing they take full responsibility for

When asked why the game's poor performance on last-gen consoles had not been flagged during Sony and Microsoft's certification processes, it seems that CD Projekt believed it would have these problems fixed by release, with Nowakowski saying the fault was "definitely on our side" rather than a failure by the third-party platforms.

"I can only assume that they were counting that we were going to fix things upon release," he said. "Obviously that did not come together exactly as we planned."

The approval process happens long before the game goes gold, while optimizations and fixes nowadays continue on to right before release. This is the new norm with day one patches.

And yep, MS has a Cyberpunk branded XBox One X, which of course becomes less and less relevant the longer the new gen is out.

It's indeed an amusing meltdown, or rather the final straw that broke the camel's back. This shit storm has been long in the making with pre-order hype / marketing driving release dates and the reliance on day one patches to finish games, while reviews are more like summaries / advertorials nowadays without any critical journalism. It has been getting worse and worse over the years and this time it went just a little bit too far. Too much hype, too high expectations, badly managed project, Covid-19, get it out before Christmas. And the press and everyone else kept CDPR on a pedestal, believing it will be fine on release day despite running into plenty issues on the PC version.

It's like management was caught like a deer in headlights, not finished, must release, it doesn't run right, crunch harder, day one patch will fix it. It's what happens when everyone, including CDPR itself, believes they can do no wrong. Too much pressure.

At first I thought this was more PR BS

Answering a question about why CD Projekt had not shown footage of the game running on last-gen consoles, co-founder and joint CEO Marcin Iwiński explained CD Projekt had been "updating the game on the last-gen consoles until the very last minute and we thought we'd make it on time".

"Unfortunately this resulted in giving it to reviewers just one day before the release. And that was definitely too late. We didn't give the chance for the media to review it properly... that was not intended, we were just fixing the game until the very last moment."

Now I'm starting to think they actually believed that themselves we thought we'd make it on time

You know what pissed me off today?.

Mack on youtube. I usually go to that guy for PC reviews (he's usually good for comical laughs), but his Cyberpunk review was just feh, but it wasn't that which got me riled, nono.

It was the part where he blamed the gamers for why this turned out like it has...

I get that people will buy into hype and pre-order, but people like Mack are entirely forgetting that, yes, it is in fact the one who weaves said hype, the one who directs the studio on how to spin said hype, they are the ones that are the root cause of said hype being spun in the first place, not gamers. Gamers just react to what's been spun in front of them, and then a decision is made on their end, but if there's no hype to be spun, there's no interest to be had.

This collosal fuckup just reeks of shareholders and managers not doing their job at all. I mean, the game took 8 years to make, and we all know they started off with fewer staff at first, but ever since the very first trailer, we know the game has definitely deviated from it's original art style and path, which forked off to a different path and expanded somewhere around 2015, just as W3 released. They got more staff sometime after W3 (those expac packs didn't require absolutely everyone on board, as they were shorter than the main game plot/map), and the scope expanded, but that was still given the "A-okay" by their leading directors/managers.

What gets me is why the hell do managers/CEO's get away scot free most of the time with this kind of crap?, when sometime later we always end up finding out that they were either lazy, greedy or just plain shit at their job. I'm just baffled that people on the internet cannot stand back for a moment and look at corporate structures and see a weak link in the chain of command.

Like I'll give a short example, a real world example of what happened with a company I previously worked for (Retail chain):

3 years ago, the company I worked for needed more OPS (operations) staff to handle incoming stock deliveries and passing out stock to respective staff members on the floor (to prevent us from coming backstage and causing clutter issues/doddering). 

The company hired around 5 young lads fresh out of high school, and waiting till they could leave for college. As one could expect, being fresh out of high school, some teens aren't exactly the most co-ordinated and sensible at doing their job, and true enough, these 5 all knew each other and were prone to messing around, not taking things seriously, coming in late or not at all (fri night pub crawls as you do). 

This presented a problem for us, because we were not getting either the right stock coming to our respective depts, or not enough, that prevented on-floor members from going backstage, and having managers hunt them down, which sometimes caused issues. 

I saw this going on for about 4-5 months, and things just got messy and mucked up, productivity wise, to a point where I had to complain about my dept not getting enough stock, or the right stock, and having been told that I couldn't go to get my own damn stock, which irked me to hell. Needless to say some ended up being let go early from their contract, and the rest left for college/Uni, but it wasn't until they left, did the company start hiring staff in their late 30's/40's, and productivity picked up once again.

The main thing that screwed all of this up for us, was that our interview staff and managers just let this fly by for months, and even before hiring, they didn't bother to fully check out that these young lads were prone to goofing off when left unchecked, or that they all knew each other, and as much as I wanted to blame the hired lads for their lack of productivity, I wanted to pin more fault with the managers for allowing this to happen, because it was their ultimate say so, and their decision (they sign the contracts, and you are bound to them to report to, until you leave the company anyway).

tl;dr for anyone, managers can suck, and they can be shitty and their jobs and need to be helf accountable, even if it means them getting fired (which they should when a fuckup this big happens).

Sorry for the long wall, but I'm so god damn tired of the "oh we're sorry, we'll try harder next time", and we give them an inch and the manager takes a few million dollars home, along with a private boat and fancy card, and severance package, while devs get next to nowt, and are easily more fired than any manager out there. 

Last edited by Chazore - on 15 December 2020

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

thread

Although they both have to be stricter on the epilepsy warning/triggers

Around the Network
Otter said:

thread

Rami has always been full of shit.

Guy runs his mouth like he knows anything game dev wise. All he's good for doing is selling out to Epic.

Sony/MS are supposed to keep in contact and have people testing the game on their end, to make sure shit sails like it's supposed to, just as much as CDPR is also supposed to hire QA testers on their end. Hell Nvidia was supposed to keep in close contact because they invested some into the game for their RT marketing and for their GR drivers (which they clearly didn't, because they've dicked around with 1080ti's via the semi latest driver). 

You don't just make a fucking console and not have QA testers on your own end not testing games, Rami, you dolt.

Last edited by Chazore - on 15 December 2020

HOHOHO... Now you guys know what its like to be a Switch owner sometimes. :)

Otter said:

Although they both have to be stricter on the epilepsy warning/triggers

Bricking a person is not as bad as bricking consoles :p

mZuzek said:
bowserthedog said:

HOHOHO... Now you guys know what its like to be a Switch owner sometimes. :)

Everyone on PS4/XBO getting the true Switch Port Experience right now

Pretty much. Just finished Immortal: Fenyx Rising on Switch. Blurry and slow loading textures at times and it crashed 7 times. Still a fun game though.

KLAMarine said:
SvennoJ said:

Even more damming, apparently

CDPR are not responding to GOG refund requests, either.

Good news is though, unlike Sony, people have no problem getting refunds from MS

Is MS better than Sony at giving refunds?

Practice makes perfect.