By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - CD Projekt Red Apologizes For Hiding Base Console Performance- Offers Refunds

Will you be asking for a refund?

Yes 14 35.00%

No 26 65.00%

Total:40
Signalstar said:

Sony and Microsoft are not innocent parties here either. Their game approval process must be pretty lax. Though I guess their major concern is whether software bricks hardware or not, not if it is buggy as hell to play.

Obviously both Sony and Microsoft were eager for the game to release as well, they probably knew the pre-order numbers, hell they both sell the game through their online stores. I doubt one wanted a situation where they denied approval and the other still allowed the game to release, essentially giving up timed exclusivity. Also there were marketing deals in place likely. Did Microsoft release that Cyberpunk branded Xbox One?

As someone with no interest in the game whatsoever who has avoided all hype materials for this game over the past few years, this is an amusing meltdown. I feel bad for gamers who were excited though.

Their approval process is to confirm the game doesn't break your system and is functional, not to see if the game is good, play well, have no dips, textures loads fine, etc. If Sony and MS were responsible for that then a lot of games wouldn't ever release since although Cyberpunk have plenty of bugs and performance issues that also happens on other big and small games (sure in a lot less frequency).

Vodacixi said:
DonFerrari said:

No need to get back to CDPR, their CEOs needed to have a mother like yours =p

True enough. In fact, this may actually be the case. Unfortunately, we'll never know, because in order to become the CEO of a big corporation you must be able to sell your own mother if success depends on it xD

I think you are actually right, they must be able to sell their mother to be hired as CEO or board.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
bowserthedog said:

HOHOHO... Now you guys know what its like to be a Switch owner sometimes. :)

Everyone on PS4/XBO getting the true Switch Port Experience right now

CD Projekt did a good job with Switcher 3, though. It's always run solidly for me and has never crashed. And until they put out an update that allowed you to share save files with the PC version, the entire game was on one 32GB cartridge with no install file. 

I really hope this will bite them in the ass as deep as it can. CDPR has to change its businnes policy, marketing, managment etc.
Anyone who was not closing eyes in front of obvious evidence was predicting this.

@up- cdpr was not resposinble for Switch port iirc.

SanAndreasX said:
mZuzek said:

CD Projekt did a good job with Switcher 3, though. It's always run solidly for me and has never crashed. And until they put out an update that allowed you to share save files with the PC version, the entire game was on one 32GB cartridge with no install file. 

It wasn't CDPR that ported the Witcher3 to switch.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

shikamaru317 said:
DonFerrari said:

Have I said a 50-100 devs can release a AAA/AAAA game? Nope I said a team this size can release a game in this period, so to pretend the development didn't start back them because "only" 50-100 devs were involved in those 3 years is ludicrous.

There is no work around the incompetence of the developer. It is a 8 year project that still got 3 delays, plenty of false promises, and released very poorly with they knowing it.

You have made a great effort to try and defend CDPR and spread their guilty on the matter when it is 100% on them and bad project management and false marketing.

A team that size can make a game in 3 years, but not Cyberpunk, which is what you seemed to be implying. I already told you that those first 3 years of work got scrapped. It's an 8 year project technically, but really only 5 years since they scrapped those early years work by moving to a new build of the engine. It's not like they had the full 500 devs on the project the entire 8 years. From what I'm reading, they not only scrapped the first 3 years of work, they also didn't move any devs over from the Witcher team to the Cyberpunk team until Witcher 3's Blood And Wine expansion was finished in mid 2016.

So, Cyberpunk development looks something like this from what I can find:

2012 announcement

2013: Cyberpunk team size is at 50 devs, according to a journalist who got a tour of the studio in 2013

Early to mid 2014: Cyberpunk team has expanded to 100 devs

Late 2014: Majority of Cyberpunk team pulled off of Cyberpunk to assist with Witcher 3 crunch, after it was discovered that Witcher 3 had 5000 bugs that needed fixing and they only had time to fix 2000 of them before the old release date, meaning the game needed to be delayed to May 2015

Mid 2015: The decision is made to scrap the early work on Cyberpunk 2077 that is on Red Engine 3, and build a new Red Engine 4. Small team of programmers begin working on new engine.

Mid 2016: Work is finished on Witcher 3's Blood and Wine expansion, and Witcher 3 devs start getting moved to Cyberpunk, with Cyberpunk still officially in the pre-production phase

September 2016: Cyberpunk team size increases to over 250 devs

June 2018: Cyberpunk dev team size has increased to nearly 350 devs

February 2019: Cyberpunk team size has increased to over 400 devs

Mid 2020: Cyberpunk dev team size increases to 500 devs

That being said, there were development issues obviously. I mean Cyberpunk got about 1 more year of development than Witcher 3, with a dev team that was twice the size by the end, and somehow the game is shorter, buggier, and broken on consoles at release. There was some kind of mismanagement happening, that much is for sure.

Nice post. Of course absolutely NOTHING justifies what they did, lie and hide the problems and release the game anyway, does not matter if it was forced by shareholders or not. But yeah, you cant compare it with the release cycle of for example, assassins creed or call of duty which are basically well oiled machines of releasing games. You cant also compare the 8 years of "development" of this game with the 3-4 years of development of other open world games. Cyberpunk had basically 4-5 years of pre production and 3 years of production.

Still, nothing justifies what they did, on purpose. Still I cant wait to play it, probably on February after the big patches because it seems to be really amazing. Also this game will definitely have long legs, multiplayer, dlc's and I truly believe they will pull out a game as service model at some point juts like GTA 5. We will still be talking about cyberpunk 4 years down the road.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
bowserthedog said:

HOHOHO... Now you guys know what its like to be a Switch owner sometimes. :)

How dare you compare Switch Ports to cyberpunk? Compared to cyberpunk they are 4k 60fps games

Cyberpunk created it's own league.

It seems that the drop on sales for week 2 will be something never seen before.

Will the ps4 physical edition get the ps5 upgrade enhancement once released next year?

EnricoPallazzo said:
shikamaru317 said:

A team that size can make a game in 3 years, but not Cyberpunk, which is what you seemed to be implying. I already told you that those first 3 years of work got scrapped. It's an 8 year project technically, but really only 5 years since they scrapped those early years work by moving to a new build of the engine. It's not like they had the full 500 devs on the project the entire 8 years. From what I'm reading, they not only scrapped the first 3 years of work, they also didn't move any devs over from the Witcher team to the Cyberpunk team until Witcher 3's Blood And Wine expansion was finished in mid 2016.

So, Cyberpunk development looks something like this from what I can find:

2012 announcement

2013: Cyberpunk team size is at 50 devs, according to a journalist who got a tour of the studio in 2013

Early to mid 2014: Cyberpunk team has expanded to 100 devs

Late 2014: Majority of Cyberpunk team pulled off of Cyberpunk to assist with Witcher 3 crunch, after it was discovered that Witcher 3 had 5000 bugs that needed fixing and they only had time to fix 2000 of them before the old release date, meaning the game needed to be delayed to May 2015

Mid 2015: The decision is made to scrap the early work on Cyberpunk 2077 that is on Red Engine 3, and build a new Red Engine 4. Small team of programmers begin working on new engine.

Mid 2016: Work is finished on Witcher 3's Blood and Wine expansion, and Witcher 3 devs start getting moved to Cyberpunk, with Cyberpunk still officially in the pre-production phase

September 2016: Cyberpunk team size increases to over 250 devs

June 2018: Cyberpunk dev team size has increased to nearly 350 devs

February 2019: Cyberpunk team size has increased to over 400 devs

Mid 2020: Cyberpunk dev team size increases to 500 devs

That being said, there were development issues obviously. I mean Cyberpunk got about 1 more year of development than Witcher 3, with a dev team that was twice the size by the end, and somehow the game is shorter, buggier, and broken on consoles at release. There was some kind of mismanagement happening, that much is for sure.

Nice post. Of course absolutely NOTHING justifies what they did, lie and hide the problems and release the game anyway, does not matter if it was forced by shareholders or not. But yeah, you cant compare it with the release cycle of for example, assassins creed or call of duty which are basically well oiled machines of releasing games. You cant also compare the 8 years of "development" of this game with the 3-4 years of development of other open world games. Cyberpunk had basically 4-5 years of pre production and 3 years of production.

Still, nothing justifies what they did, on purpose. Still I cant wait to play it, probably on February after the big patches because it seems to be really amazing. Also this game will definitely have long legs, multiplayer, dlc's and I truly believe they will pull out a game as service model at some point juts like GTA 5. We will still be talking about cyberpunk 4 years down the road.

If you take 5 years on pre-production and 3 years on production while having revealed the game 8 years ago and from what some devs have said they were in death march crunchy for almost 2 years yes you can point out a lot of fingers at CDPR management. They put themselves in this situation.

DonFerrari said:
EnricoPallazzo said:

If you take 5 years on pre-production and 3 years on production while having revealed the game 8 years ago and from what some devs have said they were in death march crunchy for almost 2 years yes you can point out a lot of fingers at CDPR management. They put themselves in this situation.

Oh that I agree 100%. It was pretty stupid to announce this game 8 years ago when all you had were some interns playing the table top game during lunch break while working on Witcher 3.