By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Extra Easy Prediction: The PS4 won't be the eighth gen console with the best post-successor sales

RolStoppable said:

For too long Sony has not made one last big push to increase PS4 sales (i.e. a price cut) and they aren't going to change their mind now when the PS5 is what they want to sell. The PS4 Pro's production has likely ended already, because its price point makes it pretty pointless in comparison to the PS5 SKUs. A standard PS4 for $/€300 doesn't look great when people can buy a backwards compatible $/€400-500 next generation console. Plus there's the used market which is going to have an increased influx of second hand PS4s due to not-so-well-off people trying to get the funds for a PS5 and a bunch of games.

This, took the words out of my mouth.

a 149.99$ Diskless - 199$ With Disk PS4 Mini would make sense if they released it next year even with selling at loss, since the PS Walled-Garden will make up for it, and PS4 Ecosystem not going Anytime soon due to indie gaming and Porting improved versions of 3rd party switch titles, since the switch is still at its prime 

i think at first they wanted to completely ditch the PS4 for the PS5 but changed their plans at the last minute (check out Jim Ryan interview about Cross-Gen) with PS5 Titles appearing on PS4 like miles morales and Horizon 2 and a rumored GoW Ragnarok cross gen support

they even made a statement recently that the the Transitional Period from PS4 to PS5 cross-gen support will continue until 2023

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/76148/ps4-to-ps5-transition-will-take-3-years-more-cross-gen-games-coming/amp.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=tweaktown&__twitter_impression=true

Honestly im starting to believe more and more that a Super Slim and Cheap PS4 Model is coming by next year

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
Mnementh said:

Oh, so 3DS is no gen 8 console. Doesn't count because *insert stupid reason here*.

Do you have something substantial to add to the thread or did you come here to be obnoxious?

Sure. The 3DS doesnt have a successor since the Switch is the successor to the WiiU. Unless you call it a successor to both which doesnt seem fair to the PS4 or XB1. Also the PS2 was like 100 bucks after the PS3 launced. No Sony console has been that cheap ever since. So this is a thread created to stir up shit with Sony fans and you need to not take it so seriously. 

Obviously the Switch is a successor to both WiiU and 3DS, it is a hybrid, what did you expect? And why is it unfair to PS4 or XB1? Because the 3DS had a pretty much normal lifetime, Nintendo cut the life of the WiiU short (not surprising with the low sales).

I don't know inhowfar the low PS2 price plays a role, that seems like an argument that at most supports the theory in the thread, because it makes the long life of the PS2 an exception, exactly as Rol claims.

And if you think this thread is meant to stir up shit with anyone, you should report the thread instead of making random passive-aggressive obnoxious posts.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Doctor_MG said:
Barkley said:

Well then my problem is more that a console doesn't have to have good post-successor sales to be "long-lasting". A console that is still selling 7 years later is better lasting than a console that dies after 5. Regardless of when the successor came out.

PS consoles are incredibly long-lasting, this is a fact, post-successor sales are irrelevant to this statement because it's the wrong metric to use.

"post-successor sales are irrelevant"

No they are not, a console that is better selling will generally have much longer support before a successor is introduced.

My definition of "long-lasting console" is still selling after a long time has passed since it launched. If you want to have a more complicated defintion then that for some reason be my guest.

Sony would need a big PS4 price cut to pull off good post-successor sales, but PS4 is what, $250 MSRP still? PS2 by comparison dropped to $130 when PS3 released and finally $100 in 2009 to sell off remaining stock.

Heck, Sony didn't even have much PS4 stock ready for Black Friday and Cyber Monday, it's pretty clear that they don't have big plans for post successor sales.

Mnementh said:
KLXVER said:

Sure. The 3DS doesnt have a successor since the Switch is the successor to the WiiU. Unless you call it a successor to both which doesnt seem fair to the PS4 or XB1. Also the PS2 was like 100 bucks after the PS3 launced. No Sony console has been that cheap ever since. So this is a thread created to stir up shit with Sony fans and you need to not take it so seriously. 

Obviously the Switch is a successor to both WiiU and 3DS, it is a hybrid, what did you expect? And why is it unfair to PS4 or XB1? Because the 3DS had a pretty much normal lifetime, Nintendo cut the life of the WiiU short (not surprising with the low sales).

I don't know inhowfar the low PS2 price plays a role, that seems like an argument that at most supports the theory in the thread, because it makes the long life of the PS2 an exception, exactly as Rol claims.

And if you think this thread is meant to stir up shit with anyone, you should report the thread instead of making random passive-aggressive obnoxious posts.

Its not. Its a successor to the WiiU. Just like Nintendo said it was. If you want it to be a successor to the 3DS, then we should only count the Switch Lite. Which is a dedicated handheld. And the 3DS has done bad after that was released.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
Mnementh said:

Its not. Its a successor to the WiiU. Just like Nintendo said it was. If you want it to be a successor to the 3DS, then we should only count the Switch Lite. Which is a dedicated handheld. And the 3DS has done bad after that was released.

Yeah well, whatever let's you sleep at night. Many regard Switch as a hybrid, but you obviously know better. I will remove my stupid views from further discussion.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
KLXVER said:

Yeah well, whatever let's you sleep at night. Many regard Switch as a hybrid, but you obviously know better. I will remove my stupid views from further discussion.

Whats your problem? Have I hurt you in the past or something?

shikamaru317 said:

Sony would need a big PS4 price cut to pull off good post-successor sales, but PS4 is what, $250 MSRP still? PS2 by comparison dropped to $130 when PS3 released and finally $100 in 2009 to sell off remaining stock.

Heck, Sony didn't even have much PS4 stock ready for Black Friday and Cyber Monday, it's pretty clear that they don't have big plans for post successor sales.

$299 Slim

$399 Pro

the problem is that they are not putting any extra stock, because the system is still doing good numbers.

They didn’t bother to make any BF bundle deals this year.

It seems they are putting all the money on the Ps5.

Barkley said:

My definition of "long-lasting console" is still selling after a long time has passed since it launched. If you want to have a more complicated defintion then that for some reason be my guest.

Your definition is meaningless when we are talking about the OPs point and post. You can label whatever the OPs concern is however you want, but commenting about your own definition is an argument in semantics and not relevant to the discussion at hand.

First of all yes, PS2 and PS1 are long-lasting successors both in terms of many years of selling after their successor launched, and selling very good numbers (for ageing consoles) because SONY DID SO! Sony did the needed steps for both of these consoles to be so successful after their successor. Sony choose to do it, they wanted and they did it. They didn't choose to do it with PSP or PS3, and now PS4... But don't mistake it. if they wanted they could, those consoles had the potential to sell at least 15 or 20% of their sales after their successor if Sony chosed to. See PS1, and PS2, they had price cut just before the next gen, and they had good stock in the stores, they had good game bundles and marketing of course. PSP, PS3 and now PS4 had almost nothing .. Sony could cut the PSP to 99$ everywhere (they only did in europe), they could cut the PS3 in 2012 with the super slim, or at worst in 2013 at E3 on the PS4 event to let's say 199$ or 149$ permanent price, and let's say in 2015 to 149$/99$ respectively. And I guarantee you that PS3 would have reached 100M lifetime. Because the main thing of all, the number 1 thing that sell a product is the price. If the price is lower enough, even if the product is not too good, it will sell. (and the PS3 was very good console, with big library of games).

Now PS4 is being left out by the most ugly way Sony could it ... even worst than the PS3.. no price cut, no bundles, no super slim even .. and even the games .. 3rd party games will still be out yeah, but exclusives spider man and suck boy are half games, more like DLCs, and the only big exclusive game that may launch (but I am not sure it will) is horizon 2. PS3 had at least 1 big good exclusive after PS4, GT 6.
PS4 could reach PS2 numbers if they did a price cut and super slim in 2018 or 2019, then in 2022 another price cut. And if someone is doubting this just see what a big price cut did for PS2 along with slim revision in 2004, or in 2009 with PS3. And having it in stock all the time. It would reach 130M by now and would had a very good chance of reaching PS2 numbers lifetime. However sony chosed not to .. Other thing that they could do was to announce PS5 this year, no in 2018 .. it was pretty early back then. With this they were cutting into the PS4 sales at the time too..

As for the table, well you don't have to count the Vita because it was not selling at all. PSP and PS3 were bad because of Sony themselves. PS1 and PS2 were very good again because sony chosed to.
PS4 is selling bad now because again Sony is choosing to.
With how PS4 is selling now, I am seeing it 120-125M lifetime. With numbers around 120k per week in mid november and before black friday I can't see the PS4 to reach even 10M for the year .. because what's left ? 5 weeks .. with 21 days in holiday season (through november) doing 3 weeks in a roll with only 120k I can't see PS4 doing more than 200k in black friday and maybe at very best 1M for the whole of november... cutting short of 10M for the year .. The PS4 is selling worse than even the PS3 in those last months..

How Sony can let this happen ? Don't they have a heart ? They are not losing nothing if just fill their stock with PS4s and maybe throw some bundles there I don' know .. Is it so hard or so cost consuming ?

Last edited by yo33331 - on 30 November 2020