By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Extra Easy Prediction: The PS4 won't be the eighth gen console with the best post-successor sales

Barkley said:

Well then my problem is more that a console doesn't have to have good post-successor sales to be "long-lasting". A console that is still selling 7 years later is better lasting than a console that dies after 5. Regardless of when the successor came out.

PS consoles are incredibly long-lasting, this is a fact, post-successor sales are irrelevant to this statement because it's the wrong metric to use.

"post-successor sales are irrelevant"

No they are not, a console that is better selling will generally have much longer support before a successor is introduced, so just looking at the years doesn't present a whole picture as that is going to be mostly indicative of just consoles that have sold well in general. I mean, if we really were to split hairs then Nintendo would probably have one of the highest post-five year sales for consoles because of the Gameboy and NES. Yet most people consider Nintendo the worst when it comes to sales longevity because of the Wii and Gamecube. 

Anyway, to the point, it is an important consideration when predicting the lifetime sales for a console. If the PS4 had post successor sales as great as the PS2 it would end up at approximately 160M and be THE best selling console of all time, but the second that a PS4 successor was ultimately revealed sales dropped dramatically (despite 2019 and 2018 still being fairly decent years). It isn't the wrong metric to use, it's A metric to use. Everything is considered when predicting sales, including the length of the generation. With the PS1 and PS2 the length of the generation didn't really matter. With the PS3 and PS4 though it ultimately did. Therefore, it is accurate to say that the assumption of Playstation consoles should be changed to more accurately predict lifetime sales in the future. 

Around the Network

From what we've seen this year with incredibly low sales and stocks in Japan and some stock issues in the US as well, it's pretty obvious that Sony is not interested in keeping the PS4 alive much longer. They've put all their efforts in making the PS5 as attractive as possible and focused on making as many units as possible for a quick transition.

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:

From what we've seen this year with incredibly low sales and stocks in Japan and some stock issues in the US as well, it's pretty obvious that Sony is not interested in keeping the PS4 alive much longer. They've put all their efforts in making the PS5 as attractive as possible and focused on making as many units as possible for a quick transition.

Though this is contradicted by them supporting the PS4 by releasing Horizon 2 on it next year possibly as late as Holiday 2021.

But the stock situation does indeed seem problematic. Amazon UK has no new PS4's available.

RolStoppable said:

For too long Sony has not made one last big push to increase PS4 sales (i.e. a price cut) and they aren't going to change their mind now when the PS5 is what they want to sell. The PS4 Pro's production has likely ended already, because its price point makes it pretty pointless in comparison to the PS5 SKUs. A standard PS4 for $/€300 doesn't look great when people can buy a backwards compatible $/€400-500 next generation console. Plus there's the used market which is going to have an increased influx of second hand PS4s due to not-so-well-off people trying to get the funds for a PS5 and a bunch of games.

This, took the words out of my mouth.

a 149.99$ Diskless - 199$ With Disk PS4 Mini would make sense if they released it next year even with selling at loss, since the PS Walled-Garden will make up for it, and PS4 Ecosystem not going Anytime soon due to indie gaming and Porting improved versions of 3rd party switch titles, since the switch is still at its prime 

i think at first they wanted to completely ditch the PS4 for the PS5 but changed their plans at the last minute (check out Jim Ryan interview about Cross-Gen) with PS5 Titles appearing on PS4 like miles morales and Horizon 2 and a rumored GoW Ragnarok cross gen support

they even made a statement recently that the the Transitional Period from PS4 to PS5 cross-gen support will continue until 2023

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/76148/ps4-to-ps5-transition-will-take-3-years-more-cross-gen-games-coming/amp.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=tweaktown&__twitter_impression=true

Honestly im starting to believe more and more that a Super Slim and Cheap PS4 Model is coming by next year

KLXVER said:
Mnementh said:

Oh, so 3DS is no gen 8 console. Doesn't count because *insert stupid reason here*.

Do you have something substantial to add to the thread or did you come here to be obnoxious?

Sure. The 3DS doesnt have a successor since the Switch is the successor to the WiiU. Unless you call it a successor to both which doesnt seem fair to the PS4 or XB1. Also the PS2 was like 100 bucks after the PS3 launced. No Sony console has been that cheap ever since. So this is a thread created to stir up shit with Sony fans and you need to not take it so seriously. 

Obviously the Switch is a successor to both WiiU and 3DS, it is a hybrid, what did you expect? And why is it unfair to PS4 or XB1? Because the 3DS had a pretty much normal lifetime, Nintendo cut the life of the WiiU short (not surprising with the low sales).

I don't know inhowfar the low PS2 price plays a role, that seems like an argument that at most supports the theory in the thread, because it makes the long life of the PS2 an exception, exactly as Rol claims.

And if you think this thread is meant to stir up shit with anyone, you should report the thread instead of making random passive-aggressive obnoxious posts.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Doctor_MG said:
Barkley said:

Well then my problem is more that a console doesn't have to have good post-successor sales to be "long-lasting". A console that is still selling 7 years later is better lasting than a console that dies after 5. Regardless of when the successor came out.

PS consoles are incredibly long-lasting, this is a fact, post-successor sales are irrelevant to this statement because it's the wrong metric to use.

"post-successor sales are irrelevant"

No they are not, a console that is better selling will generally have much longer support before a successor is introduced.

My definition of "long-lasting console" is still selling after a long time has passed since it launched. If you want to have a more complicated defintion then that for some reason be my guest.

Mnementh said:
KLXVER said:

Sure. The 3DS doesnt have a successor since the Switch is the successor to the WiiU. Unless you call it a successor to both which doesnt seem fair to the PS4 or XB1. Also the PS2 was like 100 bucks after the PS3 launced. No Sony console has been that cheap ever since. So this is a thread created to stir up shit with Sony fans and you need to not take it so seriously. 

Obviously the Switch is a successor to both WiiU and 3DS, it is a hybrid, what did you expect? And why is it unfair to PS4 or XB1? Because the 3DS had a pretty much normal lifetime, Nintendo cut the life of the WiiU short (not surprising with the low sales).

I don't know inhowfar the low PS2 price plays a role, that seems like an argument that at most supports the theory in the thread, because it makes the long life of the PS2 an exception, exactly as Rol claims.

And if you think this thread is meant to stir up shit with anyone, you should report the thread instead of making random passive-aggressive obnoxious posts.

Its not. Its a successor to the WiiU. Just like Nintendo said it was. If you want it to be a successor to the 3DS, then we should only count the Switch Lite. Which is a dedicated handheld. And the 3DS has done bad after that was released.

KLXVER said:
Mnementh said:

Its not. Its a successor to the WiiU. Just like Nintendo said it was. If you want it to be a successor to the 3DS, then we should only count the Switch Lite. Which is a dedicated handheld. And the 3DS has done bad after that was released.

Yeah well, whatever let's you sleep at night. Many regard Switch as a hybrid, but you obviously know better. I will remove my stupid views from further discussion.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
KLXVER said:

Yeah well, whatever let's you sleep at night. Many regard Switch as a hybrid, but you obviously know better. I will remove my stupid views from further discussion.

Whats your problem? Have I hurt you in the past or something?

shikamaru317 said:

Sony would need a big PS4 price cut to pull off good post-successor sales, but PS4 is what, $250 MSRP still? PS2 by comparison dropped to $130 when PS3 released and finally $100 in 2009 to sell off remaining stock.

Heck, Sony didn't even have much PS4 stock ready for Black Friday and Cyber Monday, it's pretty clear that they don't have big plans for post successor sales.

$299 Slim

$399 Pro

the problem is that they are not putting any extra stock, because the system is still doing good numbers.

They didn’t bother to make any BF bundle deals this year.

It seems they are putting all the money on the Ps5.