By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Spiderman (PS4) has sold over 20m units

Zombie9ers said:

Again - the reason Playstation exclusives are not at the same level as Nintendos in my opinion is because it is much harder to do with more options available on PlayStation- you're not getting the big 3rd party games to compete with on the Switch. But even with the competition - Sony hitting the 20 million milestone on these exclusive games is far more impressive to me than any Nintendo first party - again because what other options do you have on Nintendo? PS4 has already crossed 1.5 billion games sold - and no doubt has already passed the PS2 this holiday season as the most games sold on any console in the history of video games. It will easily cross the 2 billion games sold mark. That's more than double any other console in history (besides the PS2).

That is one way to look at things when trying desperately hard to make Sony look as if they are doing better than they actually are. The alternative is what if Playstation didn't get all that "competition" from 3rd parties? Would playstation still have the userbase to sell 20 million first party games if now the platform as a whole suffers. Those 3rd parties add a massive amount of consumer that allow Sony's first party titles to perform higher, so yes they probably take sells away but they also help Sony's first parties reach higher than they probably would without the "competition". So do they help more than they hurt is up for debate. Sony has had two opportunities to prove they could sell better without 3rd parties being in the way and they dropped the ball both times. Highest selling game on PSP is a 3rd party title named GTA SA Stories and on Vita is Minecraft I believe. The simple fact is 3rd parties know they can sell games better than Sony so there is no issue with competing against them, same would never be said against Nintendo lol. CoD released on WiiU and got demolished lol. GTA released on DS and got demolished lol. Sony isn't on Nintendo's level and that is just a fact. 

What other options do you have on Nintendo is such nonsense, its pathetic. Did Nintendo put a gun to my head and say buy a Switch lol? The choice is buying the platform in the first place, thats why they all compete against each other and not just within the platform lol. Someone buying a Switch chose Mario, Pokemon, Smash, Zelda, and Animal Crossing over the alternative on Playstation. Nintendo's first party might is that strong to pull in so many consumers without the 3rd party help Sony receives. That if anything makes Nintendo look even better, Switch is now outpacing the hell out of the PS4 with just a hand full of major titles. PS4 has all that AAA 3rd party support and Sony's growing first party support. 

Around the Network

Damn... a better way to look at this is:

Are sony first party games numbers great? Yes, they are.
Are they nintendo level? No. Will they ever be? Most likely not
Do they have to be nintendo level to be impressive, or successful enough? Of course not.

xPhenom08x said:

Clearly you are as clueless as it gets, MK8 Deluxe on Switch hit 29 million this pass September. It will blow pass 30 million by the end of this year. Its hilarious you want to acknowledge the legs on Sony games like Nintendo games dont have far superior legs lol. If Spiderman can hit 25 million, then Mario Kart and 50 million is well within reach. The PS4 is dead and yet you trust it to sell millions of more games but a currently peaking console like Switch you doubt? If those PS4 games have so much life left then so does these Switch games. 

So we are back to excuses I see, what do you think would happen if Nintendo had the 3rd party support to push their consoles to higher heights? I dont give a rats ass why you don't count handhelds, Sony tried them and failed miserably. What if handhelds had the hardware power? I see the Sony fandom is just to much in your blood lol. You mention powerful home consoles would sell better if they were as cheap as handhelds but don't acknowledge the downsides of handhelds being cheaper makes getting major 3rd party support much harder. You want every advantage for Sony but never consider the other side of things. Every decision comes with the upsides and downsides. Powerful home consoles get 3rd party support that sell systems that weaker handhelds do not get. Of course you only want to talk about the pricing advantage handhelds have over powerful home consoles.

I could careless about the rest of that nonsense you mentioned regarding Gamecube, WiiU, and Wii. Its just more pathetic Sony fan excuses, trying to downplay Nintendo's clearly superior first party support. We can say Nintendo games have both had success and fails at pushing Nintendo hardware to 100 million, while Sony has never had any success at pushing their own hardware to 100 million without 3rd parties. 

Tell me, how much do you think TLOU, TLOU II, Horizon, GoW, GoT, Uncharted 4, and Spiderman will sell with remasters? Then tell me how much do you think Mario Kart, AC, BOTW, BOTW 2, Mario Ody, Poke S&S, and Smash will sell with remasters? As of September, MK8 Deluxe has hit 29 million(37 million w/ WiiU version) and AC is at 26 million. Smash has surpassed 20 million, BOTW, Mario Ody, and Poke SS are nearing 20 million. While Sony has confirmed TLOU at 20 million and the rest is speculation, hopes and dreams lol.

Misquoting MK8 sales is still less of a travesty than you boasting about 50 Million lifetime sales. Hilarious to see you call me out for being a Sony fan when your post reeks of Nintendo fandom. 

Even with its current sales, in order for MK8 to hit 50 Million lifetime, it would need tremendous legs in 2021 and beyond. Essentially it would have to sell similarly to this year in 2021 and beyond, meaning MK8 is moving millions of units every quarter, Switch hardware and software sales don't drop year over year,  Nintendo releases absolutely nothing else until the Switch is replaced, and a potential MK9 is off the table. MK8 having legs doesn't mean it will be 2020 level legs. Or do you also expect the next BoTW or the next Mario to sell faster than Animal Crossing? It does seem like 40+ Million is possible but even then it looks like a long shot. 

Spiderman hitting 25 Million is a lot more likely than MK8 hitting 50 Million. Its one of the evergreen titles for the PS4, its a brand that is popular across various mediums that actually translates well to video games, and its family friendly. We know its above 20+ Million lifetime, most likely before this holiday season started, and was quoted at 13 Million back in August 2019 IIRC. Its routinely on sale and has two more holiday seasons to sell. Like I said, PS4 software sales aren't going to stop in 2021, especially for titles that have shown legs. It doesn't mean PS4 software sales will be better than Switch software sales in 2021. With the remaster, 35 - 40+ Million for Spiderman is on the table, depending on when Spiderman 2 releases. 

I wasn't downplaying Nintendo handheld sales. I simply stated why the comparison to consoles isn't equal due to different markets. How is acknowledging the different factors to a consoles success downplaying Nintendo IP? Its reality. I'll give Nintendo credit in that they can find some kind of novelty, such as the Wii and its motion controls, or create a new market, such as they did with the hybrid Switch console, that Sony would struggle with. But to attribute their success solely to their IP, and act like its some kind of feather in a cap when it comes to comparisons with Sony first party, that's just ignoring the market. Otherwise, the N64, Gamecube and WiiU, would have done a lot better than they have. 

God of War essentially is a confirmed figure. The NYTimes article is an interview with a Sony representative, who attributed their success to franchises like GoW (51 Million total franchise sales) & new IP's like GoT (5 Million+ by September). Another thing you're overlooking when it comes to this first party comparison is Sony has essentially birthed IP's with potential to sell over 20+ Million units in GoT & Horizon. This is happening while cultivating older IP's like GoW & Uncharted, IP's that used to tap out at 6 - 8 Million units, now becoming massively popular with recent entries in the 20 - 25+ Million range. I can see Spiderman 2 and God of War 2 hitting 30+ Million copies sold on the PS5. If I had to make a logical guess as to what Sony exclusives are at 20+ Million, I'd say Uncharted 4, God of War and Spiderman, with GoT and TLOU2 having a chance. The brand power of SIE titles is going to grow even further on the PS5. 

Last edited by PotentHerbs - on 09 December 2020

pikashoe said:

Mario kart was at 29 million at the end of September. It already definitely passed 30 million by now. It seems likely it will end somewhere between 40 and 50 million by the end of the switchs life.

I cant see spiderman selling millions more on ps4 when it's already got a remaster on a new console. Also any source for that last of us ps3 number, because this is the first I've heard of it selling over 10 million on ps3.

I agree that it's doubtful that those games will reach 30 million. Although I'm not sure why you think they can't and spiderman can?

I'm not sure if you can call anyone unrealistic when you think that spiderman will sell another 10 million on a replaced console and has already been remastered on the new console. Spiderman ps4 is done I doubt it'll sell another 1 million on the console. I don't think AC or MK will manage 50 million on switch but there's more of a chance of that happening then spiderman hitting 30 million on ps4.

In my opinion Sony hasn't quite hit Nintendo levels of sales with software yet. But they might be able to do it this gen. They've improved software sales massively over the last decade, so it's definitely possible to hit that level at some point and maybe even surpass it. Once they have a game that can hit MK levels of sales, they will be on a similar level.

The source is another ZHuge tweet. It might not have been over 10 Million on the PS3, but the total figure for the TLOU was 20 Million lifetime, with both the PS3 and PS4.

30+ Million is a high end number, I originally quoted 25 - 30 Million, 25+ Million is where I think SM will most likely finish at. The PS5 remaster won't eat into the PS4 version since both are treated as separate games. Like I said, PS4 software won't completely stop selling in 2021, the leaked Spiderman figure was likely reached before this holiday season, it will be on sale with all the DLC included, its a massively popular franchise that translates well to video games, and has 2 more holiday seasons left to sell. Another example is GT6, which launched after the PS4, and still managed 5+ Million sales on the PS3, whereas the PS4 should have a healthier userbase, with SM being an evergreen title itself. 

I do agree Sony isn't on Nintendo's level yet but I do think they're approaching it.

PotentHerbs said:

Misquoting MK8 sales is still less of a travesty than you boasting about 50 Million lifetime sales. Hilarious to see you call me out for being a Sony fan when your post reeks of Nintendo fandom. 

Even with its current sales, in order for MK8 to hit 50 Million lifetime, it would need tremendous legs in 2021 and beyond. Essentially it would have to sell similarly to this year in 2021 and beyond, meaning MK8 is moving millions of units every quarter, Switch hardware and software sales don't drop year over year,  Nintendo releases absolutely nothing else until the Switch is replaced, and a potential MK9 is off the table. MK8 having legs doesn't mean it will be 2020 level legs. Or do you also expect the next BoTW or the next Mario to sell faster than Animal Crossing? It does seem like 40+ Million is possible but even then it looks like a long shot. 

Spiderman hitting 25 Million is a lot more likely than MK8 hitting 50 Million. Its one of the evergreen titles for the PS4, its a brand that is popular across various mediums that actually translates well to video games, and its family friendly. We know its above 20+ Million lifetime, most likely before this holiday season started, and was quoted at 13 Million back in August 2019 IIRC. Its routinely on sale and has two more holiday seasons to sell. Like I said, PS4 software sales aren't going to stop in 2021, especially for titles that have shown legs. It doesn't mean PS4 software sales will be better than Switch software sales in 2021. With the remaster, 35 - 40+ Million for Spiderman is on the table, depending on when Spiderman 2 releases. 

I wasn't downplaying Nintendo handheld sales. I simply stated why the comparison to consoles isn't equal due to different markets. How is acknowledging the different factors to a consoles success downplaying Nintendo IP? Its reality. I'll give Nintendo credit in that they can find some kind of novelty, such as the Wii and its motion controls, or create a new market, such as they did with the hybrid Switch console, that Sony would struggle with. But to attribute their success solely to their IP, and act like its some kind of feather in a cap when it comes to comparisons with Sony first party, that's just ignoring the market. 

Actually, God of War essentially is a confirmed figure, considering the NYTimes article is an interview with a Sony representative, who attributed their success to franchises like GoW (51 Million total franchise sales) & new IP's like GoT (5 Million+ by September). Another thing you're overlooking when it comes to this first party comparison is Sony has essentially birthed IP's with potential to sell over 20+ Million units in GoT & Horizon. This is happening while cultivating older IP's like GoW & Uncharted, IP's that used to tap out at 6 - 8 Million units, now becoming massively popular with recent entries in the 20 - 25+ Million range. I can see Spiderman 2 and God of War 2 hitting 30+ Million copies sold on the PS5. If I had to make a logical guess as to what Sony exclusives are at 20+ Million, I'd say Uncharted 4, God of War and Spiderman, with GoT and TLOU2 having a chance. 

I'll just reply to this as it hits most of the same points as your reply to me.

I really don't see the logic that spiderman will sell another 5 million on the ps4 but Mario kart selling another 10 million on switch is a long shot. Mario kart is Nintendo's most leggy game. The Wii version was still charting on Amazon until recent years. The release of the ps5 and the remaster are going to completely kill sales of the ps4 version. If I didn't already own the game I would just wait till I got a ps5 at this point.

Around the Network
pikashoe said:

I really don't see the logic that spiderman will sell another 5 million on the ps4 but Mario kart selling another 10 million on switch is a long shot. Mario kart is Nintendo's most leggy game. The Wii version was still charting on Amazon until recent years. The release of the ps5 and the remaster are going to completely kill sales of the ps4 version. If I didn't already own the game I would just wait till I got a ps5 at this point.

Do you expect MK9 to release in the next few years? A 2022 release for MK9, that coincides with the rumored 4K Switch, would kill off MK8 legs. I also find it hard to believe that MK8 will have similar legs in 2021 that it did in 2020. Wasn't it selling millions of units a quarter, in non holiday quarters too, during 2020? I don't think that's sustainable. 

As for Spiderman, we know its over 20+ Million, and if that was the figure before the holidays, it could be around 21 Million at the start of 2021. Needing to sell 4 - 5 Million in the next couple of years, entering its third year on the market with numerous sales and DLC, gives it a good shot. PS4 hardware is finished selling but the PS4 userbase is still active. This November, Spiderman placed 11th on the PSN PS4 charts while Miles Morales ended up at 3rd. The game still has a bit of mileage left. 

PotentHerbs said:
pikashoe said:

Do you expect MK9 to release in the next few years? A 2022 release for MK9, that coincides with the rumored 4K Switch, would kill off MK8 legs. I also find it hard to believe that MK8 will have similar legs in 2021 that it did in 2020. Wasn't it selling millions of units a quarter, in non holiday quarters too, during 2020? I don't think that's sustainable. 

As for Spiderman, we know its over 20+ Million, and if that was the figure before the holidays, it could be around 21 Million at the start of 2021. Needing to sell 4 - 5 Million in the next couple of years, entering its third year on the market with numerous sales and DLC, gives it a good shot. PS4 hardware is finished selling but the PS4 userbase is still active. TLOU2 and GoT won't stop selling in 2021 either. During this November, Spiderman placed 11th in the PSN PS4 charts while Miles Morales ended up at 3rd. The game still has a bit of mileage left. 

I don't think MK 9 will release on switch. I can see it being a launch title for the proper successor. It doesnt need to sell at the same level as 2020 to reach 40 million. It has consistently been selling very well since it launched. I dont see why it'll suddenly just stop after this year. Mario kart is one of those games that will just keep selling as long as consoles are being sold.

The ps5 and remaster are going to kill its legs. It might get another 4-5 million but it will be very tough. There is just a lot going against it. 

PotentHerbs said:

I wasn't downplaying Nintendo handheld sales. I simply stated why the comparison to consoles isn't equal due to different markets. How is acknowledging the different factors to a consoles success downplaying Nintendo IP? Its reality. I'll give Nintendo credit in that they can find some kind of novelty, such as the Wii and its motion controls, or create a new market, such as they did with the hybrid Switch console, that Sony would struggle with. But to attribute their success solely to their IP, and act like its some kind of feather in a cap when it comes to comparisons with Sony first party, that's just ignoring the market. Otherwise, the N64, Gamecube and WiiU, would have done a lot better than they have. 

God of War essentially is a confirmed figure. The NYTimes article is an interview with a Sony representative, who attributed their success to franchises like GoW (51 Million total franchise sales) & new IP's like GoT (5 Million+ by September). Another thing you're overlooking when it comes to this first party comparison is Sony has essentially birthed IP's with potential to sell over 20+ Million units in GoT & Horizon. This is happening while cultivating older IP's like GoW & Uncharted, IP's that used to tap out at 6 - 8 Million units, now becoming massively popular with recent entries in the 20 - 25+ Million range. I can see Spiderman 2 and God of War 2 hitting 30+ Million copies sold on the PS5. If I had to make a logical guess as to what Sony exclusives are at 20+ Million, I'd say Uncharted 4, God of War and Spiderman, with GoT and TLOU2 having a chance. The brand power of SIE titles is going to grow even further on the PS5. 

Misquoting MK8 sales proves you are clueless and a waste of time. You don't know anything and are still trying to act as if you do. None of what you said is needed to hit 50 million and you still fail to acknowledge its actually already beyond 37 million. You want to call TLOU a 20 million seller due to its remaster but you cant acknowledge MK8's 37 million due to the WiiU version. You are so sad, you acknowledge what remasters will do for Sony's first party but ignore MK8. How the hell is 40 million + a long shot when its already pushing 37 million? Spiderman, which you can't even prove has hit 20 million somehow has 35 to 40 million as a possibility but a game at 37 already has 50 million as a long shot? Stop lol! You are just messing with me clearly. Good jokes!

Edit: I just realized you username, very fitting. That stuff must strong to be so delusional. 

❌ BANNED (3 Days): Flaming/Trolling (several posts)

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 10 December 2020

xPhenom08x said:

Misquoting MK8 sales proves you are clueless and a waste of time. You don't know anything and are still trying to act as if you do. None of what you said is needed to hit 50 million and you still fail to acknowledge its actually already beyond 37 million. You want to call TLOU a 20 million seller due to its remaster but you cant acknowledge MK8's 37 million due to the WiiU version. You are so sad, you acknowledge what remasters will do for Sony's first party but ignore MK8. How the hell is 40 million + a long shot when its already pushing 37 million? Spiderman, which you can't even prove has hit 20 million somehow has 35 to 40 million as a possibility but a game at 37 already has 50 million as a long shot? Stop lol! You are just messing with me clearly. Good jokes!

Edit: I just realized you username, very fitting. That stuff must strong to be so delusional. 

I'm not the one who proclaimed 50+ Million lifetime for MK8 on the Switch. Here's what you said:

"Mario Kart 8 Deluxe released in 2017 and is well in route to 40 or 50 million without the WiiU version."  

You even went as far to say that the Switch will have two 50+ Million sellers that will challenge the top 5 best selling PS4 exclusives: 

"Mario Kart and AC will probably challenge Sonys top 5 lmao. Atleast 100 million between the two, that will challenge Spidey (30), Uncharted 4 (25), TLOU (25), GoW (25), TLOU II (25)." 

Looks like you're more clueless than me. You can't even add correctly! Unless being outsold by 30 Million units is "challenging." 

PotentHerbs said:
xPhenom08x said:

I'm not the one who proclaimed 50+ Million lifetime for MK8 on the Switch. Here's what you said:

"Mario Kart 8 Deluxe released in 2017 and is well in route to 40 or 50 million without the WiiU version."  

You even went as far to say that the Switch will have two 50+ Million sellers that will challenge the top 5 best selling PS4 exclusives: 

"Mario Kart and AC will probably challenge Sonys top 5 lmao. Atleast 100 million between the two, that will challenge Spidey (30), Uncharted 4 (25), TLOU (25), GoW (25), TLOU II (25)." 

Looks like you're more clueless than me! 

In all likelihood he is right, that it'll end up between 40 and 50 million. I think most would agree that it'll hit 40 million. It's one of the few games Nintendo pushes bundles for. As for animal crossing that doesn't seem to crazy, the game will most likely be over 30 million by the end of the year, which is just a huge amount to get in such a short period of time. The game has only been out for around 9 months.

Those numbers are ridiculous for ps4 exclusives. No way will spider man sell another 10 million on ps4, no way will TLOU make it to 25 million on ps4. TLOU 2 definitely won't get 25 million on ps4 alone. The other 2 are probably doubtful but might be possible.