By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Spiderman (PS4) has sold over 20m units

What are your predictions for "Spiderman Miles morales" this year?
Maybe 5 million units sold in 1.5 months?



Around the Network
KazumaKiryu said:

What are your predictions for "Spiderman Miles morales" this year?
Maybe 5 million units sold in 1.5 months?

If this spin-off of short duration do this it would be big, and good profits all around.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

NoCtiS_NoX said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Mario Kart Wii has sold 37m.  That is what total sales look like for a top tier Nintendo title.  PS4 is near the end of it's life.  Most software sales are accounted for.

Switch, on the other hand, hasn't even peaked yet.  This is likely the peak year for Switch, but we haven't even had holiday sales yet for Switch's peak year.  There are a lot of software sales still to come.  On top of that it's top title is already at 29m, and it is 3.5 years younger than the PS4.  If you want to make a comparison to Switch's current software numbers, then you should be comparing it to PS4 software levels from early 2017.  I believe Uncharted 4 sold around 9m at that time.  A fair comparision would be a 9m PS4 title to a 29m Switch title.  Sony titles do not sell at Nintendo levels.

Again, just because your college team is doing very well, that doesn't mean it's at pro level.  If you want to celebrate a PS4 game, then don't compare it to Nintendo.  You are embarrasing yourself when there is no need for it.

I just got back to check what's up and I saw this. lol
I am sorry for bumping the thread but I can't help myself. 

I remember the time when the goal post is 10-15M only so I guess we need to move the goal post.


"3.  This is not Sony's best first party performance.  Gran Turismo 3 sold 15m.  When they actually get a PS4 first party game to 15m, then we can talk.  They aren't there yet."

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8866180

Can we talk now? 

 

Ok, let's talk.  

Animal Crossing shipped 26.04m in three non-holiday quarters.  What is the most a Sony first party game shipped in three quarters?  You can even have one of those quarters include a holiday.  I'll be generous.

It's ok for you to be proud of your college team, but you do them a big disservice by comparing them to a pro team.  Sony's first party sales are the best they've ever been, but they still are nowhere near Nintendo's level.

PM sent

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 10 December 2020

The_Liquid_Laser said:
NoCtiS_NoX said:

I just got back to check what's up and I saw this. lol
I am sorry for bumping the thread but I can't help myself. 

I remember the time when the goal post is 10-15M only so I guess we need to move the goal post.


"3.  This is not Sony's best first party performance.  Gran Turismo 3 sold 15m.  When they actually get a PS4 first party game to 15m, then we can talk.  They aren't there yet."

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8866180

Can we talk now? 

 

Ok, let's talk.  

Animal Crossing shipped 26.04m in three non-holiday quarters.  What is the most a Sony first party game shipped in three quarters?  You can even have one of those quarters include a holiday.  I'll be generous.

It's ok for you to be proud of your college team, but you do them a big disservice by comparing them to a pro team.  Sony's first party sales are the best they've ever been, but they still are nowhere near Nintendo's level.

So going by yourpost while pretending you didn't move the goalpost not even Nintendo use to sells like Nintendo, or will you show that I don't know, over 10 games per gen published by Nintendo over the past 5 gens have shipped 26M in 3 quarters?



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Ok, let's talk.  

Animal Crossing shipped 26.04m in three non-holiday quarters.  What is the most a Sony first party game shipped in three quarters?  You can even have one of those quarters include a holiday.  I'll be generous.

It's ok for you to be proud of your college team, but you do them a big disservice by comparing them to a pro team.  Sony's first party sales are the best they've ever been, but they still are nowhere near Nintendo's level.

So going by yourpost while pretending you didn't move the goalpost not even Nintendo use to sells like Nintendo, or will you show that I don't know, over 10 games per gen published by Nintendo over the past 5 gens have shipped 26M in 3 quarters?

There's really no point. The goalpost will be moved again when Spiderman hits 30+ Million lifetime with its remaster.

But even with this obscene standard, one that the majority of Nintendo IP won't reach without being on multiple platforms, than Astro's Playroom is on pace for 100+ Million lifetime since its a pre packed game like Wii Sports. 



Around the Network

That's amazing, congrats to Insomniac and Sony



shikamaru317 said:

First PS4 exclusive to pass 20m this gen if I'm not mistaken. Uncharted 4 was at 15m last official update (May 2019), Horizon at 10m last official update (February 2019), God of War 10m last official update (May 2019). Considering Sony never announced 20m for those 3, it's probably safe to assume that Spider-Man beat all 3 of them to 20m. 

It makes since too as Spiderman is more known and popular then all of them, and was also coming off some recent successful movie outings. So id imaging the would be lots of kids wanting the new Spiderman game.

Edit: Wow didn't realize this comment was so old.

Anyways point still stands as it isn't hard to understand why Spiderman would reach 20 mil before the others.



DonFerrari said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Ok, let's talk.  

Animal Crossing shipped 26.04m in three non-holiday quarters.  What is the most a Sony first party game shipped in three quarters?  You can even have one of those quarters include a holiday.  I'll be generous.

It's ok for you to be proud of your college team, but you do them a big disservice by comparing them to a pro team.  Sony's first party sales are the best they've ever been, but they still are nowhere near Nintendo's level.

So going by yourpost while pretending you didn't move the goalpost not even Nintendo use to sells like Nintendo, or will you show that I don't know, over 10 games per gen published by Nintendo over the past 5 gens have shipped 26M in 3 quarters?

He did say "yet" in that same post the other guy quoted, so clearly he expected Sony to eventually do it. Regardless, Nintendo unlike Sony has quite a few titles that have sold above 25 million to Sony's none. Nintendo doesn't need another to sell at Animal Crossing pace because they have proven multiple times 25, 30, or even 35 million aren't out of reach for them. Sony simply has improved greatly, no one is denying that but saying Ninty levels is a flat out lie because it ignores Nintendo is raising the bar not moving a goalpost lol. Hitting 15 million is cute but its pretty easy for one of these companies. Its a struggle for the other. We also arent saying the majority of Nintendo games sell like this lol, neither do the majority of Sony's titles sell 20, hell we dont even have proof Sony has done it without speculation. Nintendo's titles are confirmed lol, Sony's one confirmed needed a remaster. When Nintendo's top title got a remaster, 40 million now looks like childs play. Mario Kart 8 and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will smash 50 million. Sony's needed a remaster to even touch 20, they are not on the same level because 20 million is no longer difficult for Nintendo. 



PotentHerbs said:
DonFerrari said:

So going by yourpost while pretending you didn't move the goalpost not even Nintendo use to sells like Nintendo, or will you show that I don't know, over 10 games per gen published by Nintendo over the past 5 gens have shipped 26M in 3 quarters?

There's really no point. The goalpost will be moved again when Spiderman hits 30+ Million lifetime with its remaster.

But even with this obscene standard, one that the majority of Nintendo IP won't reach without being on multiple platforms, than Astro's Playroom is on pace for 100+ Million lifetime since its a pre packed game like Wii Sports. 

That's not a goalpost, that is Nintendo raising the bar. Sony fans love to put a cap on things as if 30 million is where Nintendo titles stop. 30 million looks completely out of reach for Sony's games while I can name 3 from just Switch that will hit that and two will blow past it. Sony can't even hit 30 million without remasters, Nintendo top tier gets a remaster and 50 million looks well within reach. Mario Kart 8 along with its remaster is already at 37 million before the Switch preparing to post one of the largest holiday seasons in history lol. This standard is obscene because Ninty has hit a bar that Sony just can't clear. When they finally do, Ninty will raise it again. AC will hit 40 million without a remaster, Spiderman needs a remaster to even hit 30 milion. The majority statement makes no sense because the majority of Sony's titles wont hit 20. Funny enough, Im pretty sure Nintendo has more 30 million sellers than Sony has 20 million sellers. Thats sad and really does show, same league they are not. Sony has gotten better but so has Nintendo. The gap didn't close, both bars went up. 

Also Astro bot isn't pre packaged like Wii sports, its pre installed. Wii Sports can be resold because it is pre packaged. It actually cost me 25 bucks because I bought a Wii for my 6 year old( crazy how Wii really is ancient to her) and they don't sell them with Wiis. 



xPhenom08x said:

That's not a goalpost, that is Nintendo raising the bar. Sony fans love to put a cap on things as if 30 million is where Nintendo titles stop. 30 million looks completely out of reach for Sony's games while I can name 3 from just Switch that will hit that and two will blow past it. Sony can't even hit 30 million without remasters, Nintendo top tier gets a remaster and 50 million looks well within reach. Mario Kart 8 along with its remaster is already at 37 million before the Switch preparing to post one of the largest holiday seasons in history lol. This standard is obscene because Ninty has hit a bar that Sony just can't clear. When they finally do, Ninty will raise it again. AC will hit 40 million without a remaster, Spiderman needs a remaster to even hit 30 milion. The majority statement makes no sense because the majority of Sony's titles wont hit 20. Funny enough, Im pretty sure Nintendo has more 30 million sellers than Sony has 20 million sellers. Thats sad and really does show, same league they are not. Sony has gotten better but so has Nintendo. The gap didn't close, both bars went up. 

Also Astro bot isn't pre packaged like Wii sports, its pre installed. Wii Sports can be resold because it is pre packaged. It actually cost me 25 bucks because I bought a Wii for my 6 year old( crazy how Wii really is ancient to her) and they don't sell them with Wiis. 

How can you say 30+ Million is out of reach for Sony titles but then try and put a qualifier on Spiderman because it has a remaster. Are you going to have that same qualifier for MK8? How about mentioning the fact that MK8 has been out since 2014 on the WiiU compared to SM releasing on the PS4 in 2018. Spiderman is one of the most popular franchises in the world, the game has reached 20+ Million two years since its launch, competing with massive franchises like RDR, COD, Fifa, Star Wars, as well as Sony's internal teams. Its legs aren't just going to drop off, even with the start of the new generation, the PS4 version could very well finish close to 25 - 30 Million, with the PS5 remaster selling an additional 10 - 15+ Million units. 

I wouldn't be so confident that Nintendo has more 30 Million sellers than Sony does 20 Million sellers, unless you're leaning on handheld sales. GoW, Uncharted 4, Horizon might end up with lifetime sales above 20 Million. GoW is already 20+ Million if the NY Times figure is accurate & so is TLOU if we include PS3 sales. TLOU Part II & GoT could end up clearing 20+ Million lifetime too. I don't see why these IP's can't grow even more during the PS5 generation. 

And yes, those standards are obscene, because the reality is most Nintendo titles aren't clearing 30+ Million lifetime. Why don't you tell me how some of Nintendo's biggest IP like BoTW, Smash, Mario Odyssey, Pokemon are doing in comparison to Animal Crossing? Looks like a lot of underwhelming performances using the bar you have Nintendo at. You're inflating the most successful Switch title, which benefitted from the extreme circumstances of this year & MK8 which is on multiple platforms, using it as a baseline for all of Nintendo's IP. Its a misleading comparison.

Last edited by PotentHerbs - on 08 December 2020