By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Spiderman (PS4) has sold over 20m units

ArchangelMadzz said:

Yeah of course, I'm just saying buying studios and companies and investing in infrastructure and a possible multi billion research and development of the PS5 would've eaten into that..

We are comparing the numbers only though.

DonFerrari said:

Nope, the thread is about Spiderman selling 20M units, and that mentions it is nearing the level of sales of Nintendo, but you decided to make it something else for your own amusement. Then you go and act like a victim.

Bold: if you think like that, sure. But i only need to remind some of you about the operating profit, i'd love to make others victim myself.

B6a6es said:

Now you sound like a Triggered Fanboy who only takes his sources from 4chan

oh and unless your also into Pedo-friendly games where you grope a 12 yo in her bathing suit (Gal-Gun), then Good for Sony for Getting rid of them

Bold: Xenoblade Wii and Xenoblade X Wii U are still full price you know

Nope

Next time use a muscle-flexing 10-20-30M Title, instead of a rare, hard find 500k seller

1.I said playstation is one of, not the only place where Sony made profit, and we are comparing the profit of gaming side. Your reading ability isn't too good, huh?

2.Thank you for pointing out that Xenoblade X finally drop it's price a bit, but what about Xenoblade Wii? And i would like to know if they dropped price during the Wii and Wii U time too, can you tell me? 

Hiku said:

While OP brought up Nintendo and invited direct sales comparisons, a few things to keep in mind:

1.) Saying "near Nintendo levels" is a compliment to Nintendo (whether people agree or disagree with the statement is another question.) That's not saying one company comes out on top over the other.
Those sort of comments began afterwards though. Which lead to the following:

2.) When comparing sales, revenue comparisons often come hand in hand. Just try to keep it on topic and somewhat productive.
Comparing revenue for Spiderman vs other games is relevant. But comparing revenue between the entire Playstation vs Nintendo companies is less so, and probably belongs in a different thread.

When it comes to how productive revenue comparisons are between individual titles, it depends on how much we know.
While maintaining a $60 price tag for its entire life cycle is one factor, another is the digital to physical ratio (digital games typically cost more than $60 at launch for some reason), Deluxe Editions, DLC, development costs, licensing costs, etc.

So it's often difficult to make 1:1 comparisons there.

HoangNhatAnh said:

We are comparing the profit so far, right?

If you're going to compare profits, then try to keep this between Spiderman vs other games, rather than the entirety of Playstation vs Nintendo.

Ok, i only compare it to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate profits since they are same year.

Around the Network
HoangNhatAnh said:

B6a6es said:

Now you sound like a Triggered Fanboy who only takes his sources from 4chan

oh and unless your also into Pedo-friendly games where you grope a 12 yo in her bathing suit (Gal-Gun), then Good for Sony for Getting rid of them

Bold: Xenoblade Wii and Xenoblade X Wii U are still full price you know

Nope

Next time use a muscle-flexing 10-20-30M Title, instead of a rare, hard find 500k seller

1.I said playstation is one of, not the only place where Sony made profit, and we are comparing the profit of gaming side. Your reading ability isn't too good, huh?

2.Thank you for pointing out that Xenoblade X finally drop it's price a bit, but what about Xenoblade Wii? And i would like to know if they dropped price during the Wii and Wii U time too, can you tell me? 

1- Nice Backtracking there

More like let you Enjoy your Piece of Censorship Cinematic Walking Simulator to the Point of Literally comparing an Entire Company Revenue (that Diversified its Business Model Beyond Console Gaming since 2015) to a Single Division Subsidiary because it's one of only places where Sony can make money :)

you kept comparing an Entire company to a Subsidiary on an assumption that Sony's Gaming Sector is one of the few money makers for Sony, while its certainly the biggest, its overshadowed by Sony's other Sectors in profits when combined.

2- if you meant a sealed physical copy then no (its mostly around 48$), the game has been out of production and considering its a 500K hard to find game for a system that doesnt have an Eshop where you download it (unlike Wii U) its no different from PS2 situation like 2007 GOW 2 (which sold 4.5M), you can no longer find it officially on amazon and the only way you can get it sealed is through Ebay for over 80$.

as for actual Value of the Game (Digital wise), you can get it in Wii U Eshop for 20$ !

the only reason Nintendo would Rerelease its Games for full Price on the Switch is due to the Switch Cartridge manufacturing cost (Always With New Content to justify its pricing) , i wont be Surprised if Switch 2 Games (or even Newer current Switch Games) went for the 70$ Pricing on its Games Similar to PS5, assuming future switch/switch 2 will require more storage

Last edited by B6a6es - on 22 November 2020

HoangNhatAnh said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Yeah of course, I'm just saying buying studios and companies and investing in infrastructure and a possible multi billion research and development of the PS5 would've eaten into that..

Okay cool, so you can see how it's a terrible comparison. 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

One thing to keep in mind about Playstation profit is the growing subscription revenue from PS Plus and PS Now. This can elevate Playstation profits into 4 - 5 Billion range yearly. In fact when its all said and done, the most profitable years of the PS4 will pale in comparison to the most profitable years of the PS5, and the lowest profitable year for the PS5 will still end up higher than the lowest profitable year for the PS4 by a sizeable margin.

IIRC, Sony is predicting about 3+ Billion profit from the Playstation division, which is unprecedented for Sony during a console launch year, because of the hit they take on hardware. This isn't even considering the $70 price tag, growing digital ownership, and even growing markets around the world. The profit the Switch is making in its peak year (2020) will be dwarfed by the profit the PS5 makes in its peak year.

B6a6es said:

you kept comparing an Entire company to a Subsidiary on an assumption that Sony's Gaming Sector is one of the few money makers for Sony, while its certainly the biggest, its overshadowed by Sony's other Sectors in profits when combined.

2- if you meant a sealed physical copy then no (its mostly around 48$), the game has been out of production and considering its a 500K hard to find game for a system that doesnt have an Eshop where you download it (unlike Wii U) its no different from PS2 situation like 2007 GOW 2 (which sold 4.5M), you can no longer find it officially on amazon and the only way you can get it sealed is through Ebay for over 80$.

as for actual Value of the Game (Digital wise), you can get it in Wii U Eshop for 20$ !

the only reason Nintendo would Rerelease its Games for full Price on the Switch is due to the Switch Cartridge manufacturing cost (Always With New Content to justify its pricing) , i wont be Surprised if Switch 2 Games (or even Newer current Switch Games) went for the 70$ Pricing on its Games Similar to PS5, assuming future switch/switch 2 will require more storage

1.Nice logic except it is irrelevant to gaming side, we are comparing the crurrent profit from the gaming side, Playstation vs  Nintendo :))

2.I asked you about "If Xenoblade got price cut during Wii era or Xenoblade X got price cut during Wii U era, not about the release of a previous gen game on Wii U eshop". If Wii 1st party game didn't get price cut during Wii time or Wii U 1st party game didn't get price cut during Wii U time then no wonder that Switch 1st party game didn't get price cut during Switch time.

ArchangelMadzz said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Okay cool, so you can see how it's a terrible comparison

Bold: people here kept bringing the profit of PSN and claiming playstation made more money than Nintendo so you should tell that to them.

Around the Network
HoangNhatAnh said:
B6a6es said:

1.Nice logic except it is irrelevant to gaming side, we are comparing the crurrent profit from the gaming side, Playstation vs  Nintendo :))

2.I asked you about "If Xenoblade got price cut during Wii era or Xenoblade X got price cut during Wii U era, not about the release of a previous gen game on Wii U eshop". If Wii 1st party game didn't get price cut during Wii time or Wii U 1st party game didn't get price cut during Wii U time then no wonder that Switch 1st party game didn't get price cut during Switch time.

1- then compare the gaming side (PS4-Switch) to both companies instead of bragging about whole company vs a Subsidiary, as Hiku said nobody wants this Conversation to be devolved till we brag about market cap/cash in hands (my dads bigger than your dad etc).

2- i bought mine in black friday 2013, was 40$ At gamestop

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mynintendonews.com/2013/10/18/xenoblade-metroid-trilogy-will-be-reduced-at-gamestop-for-black-friday/amp/

And no, Nintendo had many Price-cuts during Wii-Wii U era, even pricing some retail games to 20$

https://www.google.com/amp/s/venturebeat.com/2011/05/04/nintendo-cuts-wii-price-to-149-and-reduces-some-games-to-19-99/amp/

And just to prove that 60$ was mostly for Manufacturing Costs, look at the Nintendo Cyber deals (Digital Games only) including 40$ on Xenoblade 2 !

https://mobile.twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1330927027785003009?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1330927027785003009%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

Last edited by B6a6es - on 24 November 2020

B6a6es said:

1- then compare the gaming side (PS4-Switch) to both companies instead of bragging about whole company vs a Subsidiary, as Hiku said nobody wants this Conversation to be devolved till we brag about market cap/cash in hands (my dads bigger than your dad etc).

2- i bought mine in black friday 2013, was 40$ At gamestop

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mynintendonews.com/2013/10/18/xenoblade-metroid-trilogy-will-be-reduced-at-gamestop-for-black-friday/amp/

And no, Nintendo had many Price-cuts during Wii-Wii U era, even pricing some retail games to 20$

https://www.google.com/amp/s/venturebeat.com/2011/05/04/nintendo-cuts-wii-price-to-149-and-reduces-some-games-to-19-99/amp/

And just to prove that 60$ was mostly for Manufacturing Costs, look at the Nintendo Cyber deals (Digital Games only) including 40$ on Xenoblade 2 !

https://mobile.twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1330927027785003009?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1330927027785003009%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

1.I'm doing it by comparing the profit of 1st party games from both companies.

2.So why do you keep saying that Switch is a special case compared to Wii/Wii U about the price of 1st party games?

The amount of quality software competition on PS4 (and likely PS5) makes these numbers even more impressive. Having to go up against GTA5, RDR2, Call of Duty, Battlefield, FIFA and Assassin's Creed. Stiff competition and to still have first party output be above 20 million units sold, just impressive.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Mario Kart Wii has sold 37m.  That is what total sales look like for a top tier Nintendo title.  PS4 is near the end of it's life.  Most software sales are accounted for.

Switch, on the other hand, hasn't even peaked yet.  This is likely the peak year for Switch, but we haven't even had holiday sales yet for Switch's peak year.  There are a lot of software sales still to come.  On top of that it's top title is already at 29m, and it is 3.5 years younger than the PS4.  If you want to make a comparison to Switch's current software numbers, then you should be comparing it to PS4 software levels from early 2017.  I believe Uncharted 4 sold around 9m at that time.  A fair comparision would be a 9m PS4 title to a 29m Switch title.  Sony titles do not sell at Nintendo levels.

Again, just because your college team is doing very well, that doesn't mean it's at pro level.  If you want to celebrate a PS4 game, then don't compare it to Nintendo.  You are embarrasing yourself when there is no need for it.

I just got back to check what's up and I saw this. lol
I am sorry for bumping the thread but I can't help myself. 

I remember the time when the goal post is 10-15M only so I guess we need to move the goal post.

"3.  This is not Sony's best first party performance.  Gran Turismo 3 sold 15m.  When they actually get a PS4 first party game to 15m, then we can talk.  They aren't there yet."

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8866180

Can we talk now? 

What are your predictions for "Spiderman Miles morales" this year?
Maybe 5 million units sold in 1.5 months?