By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
starcraft said:
Intrinsic said:

Of course, they will. You don't spend $7.5B on a publisher only to be releasing its games on the platform of your primary rival.

I think you're misunderstanding MS' approach.

They really, really don't care anymore about your hardware war. If you really, really want to pay $60 for a Microsoft game on a $500 PS5, they'll take your money.

Their plan is just to make your decision to do that look increasingly irrational by offering you that game and hundreds more for $10 a month on PC, or on one of their own (entirely optional) consoles.

Agreed. At the end of the day, MS are just annoyed Sony is getting in the way from their real competitors Google, Amazon and Apple.

Google has already entered the gaming space and we know Apple and Amazon want to join.

Around the Network
ironmanDX said:
starcraft said:

They really, really don't care anymore about your hardware war. If you really, really want to pay $60 for a Microsoft game on a $500 PS5, they'll take your money.

Their plan is just to make your decision to do that look increasingly irrational by offering you that game and hundreds more for $10 a month on PC, or on one of their own (entirely optional) consoles.

Agreed. At the end of the day, MS are just annoyed Sony is getting in the way from their real competitors Google, Amazon and Apple.

Google has already entered the gaming space and we know Apple and Amazon want to join.

Ya let’s start taking Google off that list lol. This acquisition makes Xcloud the champ in ways Stadia will never be. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

3sexty said:
This is a very smart move from MS. The aim is to cement the future of the Game Pass model. At the very least future titles for Doom, Fallout, Skyrim/ Elder Scrolls releases will be timed exclusives and other consoles will have to wait for 12 months so as to give game pass preferential treatment on pc and Xbox. Makes perfect sense since game pass has become a huge priority.

Yup. I agree in that I don't see full exclusivity as necessary endgame, being available on Game Pass on Day 1 is itself major platform draw,
So 12-18 month timed exclusivity would give them most of benefits and more profits too. I think EVENTUALLY releasing it on Playstation
actually is way to ensure continued attention from Playstation fans, who all aren't going to jump ship immediately just for this, but if they
are eventually fed the games that will keep their attention drawn to where they consider Xbox more in future.

Really the question is what is Sony's next move. Honestly I wonder about  CD Project Red who would be great counter move IMHO,
in terms of game dev teams not equivalent to Zeni/Bethesda but has competitive assets there and overall is very solid and skilled.
Issue being not wanting to sellout their independence, but why not consider a minority shareholding with some oversight and deal
for console exclusivity, they are PC developer in their genes and Playstation already is most of console market share anyways.
I feel like GOG's prospects are not fully clear and bright, and they might also be interested in potential to merge that with Epic Store,
with CDPR able to insert it's team and expertise into managing combined store they could hold active stake in with Sony and Epic.

Not sure what other dev studios/publisher might be open to buyout or merger with SIE...
Maybe also fair to wonder if all Zeni studios will continue as is, or be prone to head hunting by SIE or others...?

Seems like Brexit also leaves Sony with too UK heavy stance that could be better balanced with stronger EU presence,
with France seeming to have plenty of opportunities as well as Poland with CDPR to have political pull with EU regulators.
Paris would be default, but Marseille seems in renaissance mode, plenty of tech/IT in nearby provinces and California like climate...?

Last edited by mutantsushi - on 21 September 2020

Intrinsic said:
MasonADC said:
This is crazy, especially because NO ONE saw it coming and it didnt get leaked at all.

I think bethesda games at the very least will be timed exclusives to xbox now. I cant imagine them being day one on playstation

They won't.

What has been announced so far will come to the platforms they were slated tocme to. But everything else, would be Xbox/PC exclusive. 

Or more specifically, gamepass exclusives. 

I won't say I saw it coming, but I will say I am not surprised in the least. This is exactly what MS needs to do to compete or to make GP viable. They obviously are lacking when it comes to having games to rival the best from sony/nintendo. This changes that.

What people should be worried about though, is what Sony would do about this. Sony would have to acquire certain studios too. If nothing else, from fear that if they don't MS would. 

Hence consolidation, its now not going to be enough to just have games on your platform, now, the war is going to be about making sure those games aren't on ay other platforms.

I agree for the most part. It's smart because GP needs it, and the marketing team picked the perfect time to announce it. Right after the SNY cross gen hypocrisy talk. At the very least, MS can now just say, 'we're both hypocrites, so what'? The news is big enough that'll get swept under the rug anyway.

MS and their, 'we don't like the idea of exclusives', and 'we just wanna play nice together', is now crystal clear not to be the case. Like anyone should have been 100% convinced it was, but MS have now leaped over the threshold. If SNY has been sitting back leisurely assuming MS wasn't going to make too many big moves, then they've now been put on notice and this no doubt means war.

SNY now knows that every worthy third party studio who is open to selling, whatever the price, is on MS's radar, and if they don't lock them down, MS likely eventually will. If you're SNY and one of your biggest draws is exclusives, you either need to stay well ahead of MS in this case, branch out in other ways, or offer something uniquely new. There was a SNY third party exclusivity rumor a while back that was this level, if not beyond.

Glad to see MS actually making waves, yet worried to see how SNY responds and where this leads in terms of potentially creating giant walls around once open gardens. This is the way the world seems to be headed as of late unfortunately.

sales2099 said:
ironmanDX said:

Ya let’s start taking Google off that list lol. This acquisition makes Xcloud the champ in ways Stadia will never be. 

You forget that Google can also burn a lot of money if they want.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
starcraft said:
Intrinsic said:

Of course, they will. You don't spend $7.5B on a publisher only to be releasing its games on the platform of your primary rival.

Sure. That's why we should expect any minute now the announcement that Avowed, Fable, HB2, Everwild, and Sea of Thieves are all coming to PS5. You know, since all of those games are being developed by recently bought studios to fill up Game Pass.

And you know what? maybe we are being short-sighted. How about they also put Halo, Forza, Gears, and Flight Simulator? I mean, more games on PS5 means more money for them, right?

okr said:
Today Microsoft won us all as customers.

More like:

"Today Microsoft held us all as hostages." lol

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

I do think this perpetuates a cycle that could turn out to be negative in the long run.

Its undeniable that Gamepass has given fantastic exposure to games/developers that wouldn't have gotten it otherwise.

Eventually, Gamepass (and its eventual competitors) could become large enough that they in fact crowd out non-Gamepass titles.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

RolStoppable said:
chakkra said:

Well, you should put the blame for that on Sony fans. They made such a ruckus about "Xbox has no exclusives" that they forced MS's hand.

And yet, Xbox still has no exclusives. Microsoft is such a good guy that they don't force anyone to go green.

The part I bolded is very ironic. A PS fan condemning a company for buying itself into an industry and thinking he has the high ground. Sony moneyhatted third party games left, right and center to keep them away from Nintendo and Sega, and a generation later also from Microsoft. There's a reason why the PS2 era wasn't particularly profitable for Sony despite an incredible level of domination in unit sales: They aggressively cut the price of the PS2 to kill off everyone else. Didn't work for them, hence why the PS4 is on a very different strategy; if you can't kill off competition, it's better to ride out your platform and profit from it as much as possible.

Nintendo started the entire exclusivity business during the SNES era. Back then the console marke was far more vibrant and Sony was just yet another newcommer, who actually knew what he was doing. Lets not forget it was Nintendo who screwed them over with their exit from the unified console deal They never needed to moneyhat exclusive deals in any major way as 3rd parties flocked to them after they burnet themselves with the horrible deals they made with Nintendo and later with MS. Or ar we forgetting the exclusive rush MS had with the first Xbox? Or the pricedrops of the GC that made it far cheaper than a PS2? Or the several billion $ loss MS had with their first system just because they bought up exclusives and sold the system at a loss?

Your memory seems to be selective as of late Rol, for pretty much any info that doesn't suits your bill.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

EricHiggin said:
Intrinsic said:

They won't.

What has been announced so far will come to the platforms they were slated tocme to. But everything else, would be Xbox/PC exclusive. 

Or more specifically, gamepass exclusives. 

I won't say I saw it coming, but I will say I am not surprised in the least. This is exactly what MS needs to do to compete or to make GP viable. They obviously are lacking when it comes to having games to rival the best from sony/nintendo. This changes that.

What people should be worried about though, is what Sony would do about this. Sony would have to acquire certain studios too. If nothing else, from fear that if they don't MS would. 

Hence consolidation, its now not going to be enough to just have games on your platform, now, the war is going to be about making sure those games aren't on ay other platforms.

I agree for the most part. It's smart because GP needs it, and the marketing team picked the perfect time to announce it. Right after the SNY cross gen hypocrisy talk. At the very least, MS can now just say, 'we're both hypocrites, so what'? The news is big enough that'll get swept under the rug anyway.

MS and their, 'we don't like the idea of exclusives', and 'we just wanna play nice together', is now crystal clear not to be the case. Like anyone should have been 100% convinced it was, but MS have now leaped over the threshold. If SNY has been sitting back leisurely assuming MS wasn't going to make too many big moves, then they've now been put on notice and this no doubt means war.

SNY now knows that every worthy third party studio who is open to selling, whatever the price, is on MS's radar, and if they don't lock them down, MS likely eventually will. If you're SNY and one of your biggest draws is exclusives, you either need to stay well ahead of MS in this case, branch out in other ways, or offer something uniquely new. There was a SNY third party exclusivity rumor a while back that was this level, if not beyond.

Glad to see MS actually making waves, yet worried to see how SNY responds and where this leads in terms of potentially creating giant walls around once open gardens. This is the way the world seems to be headed as of late unfortunately.

This. I really do not understand how people don't see this. Sony will be forced to respond now, and the domino effect was set in motion. I don't think we have ever seen such a huge purchase from one console manufacturer before. Then Sony will buy some studios, then Nintendo, then MS again, and soon all the 3rd party games will be hidden behind a payment wall atop a payment wall. I do not like this, one bit.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!