By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox acquires Bethesda

HollyGamer said:
sales2099 said:

Let MS worry about that. Imo Steam and full purchase Xbox sales alone will net a profit. Will it make more on PS5? Sure. But the real goal is to steal users making them join the Xbox ecosystem, and sub to Game Pass. 

I said again, I am not worried. It's just funny if you think money is not a concern for Microsoft but they are still selling Minecraft to other platform. They should make Minecraft as selling point and made it exclusives for gamepads if they believe that game pass will help them.  

Well here’s hoping they don’t make a PS5 version. They shared the IP long enough. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

And there it is:

https://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-will-not-make-bethesda-games-exclusive-to-xbox-yet-but-wants-to-offer-the-best-version-of-them/

I knew there was a reason Phil was beating around the bush and his legal reasoning made no sense. I spoke to one of the lawyers in our firm and he said it was complete BS.

Yes I am sure your lawyers know more about legalities of the deal than MS or the head of the Xbox division, no offense.Personally if I were a user of another platform, I'd be bummed at that interview. First, better, or best on Xbox platforms sounds pretty crappy for Sony or Nintendo users. Hopefully it's more of a first situation than a better or best. And the interview says they don't plan on pulling all Bethesda content... I don't think anyone here was expecting them to. But they certainly will pull some, guaranteed.

method114 said:

And there it is:

https://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-will-not-make-bethesda-games-exclusive-to-xbox-yet-but-wants-to-offer-the-best-version-of-them/

I knew there was a reason Phil was beating around the bush and his legal reasoning made no sense. I spoke to one of the lawyers in our firm and he said it was complete BS.

He is beating around the bush because the deal is not finalized.  How stupid would he look of he said they were going to be exclusive, just to have the whole thing fall through?  Even if there were no legal issues holding them back from making an announcement, doing so before the deal closes is still not in their best interest.

This still means nothing, we will have to wait till actual platform announcements for the games.  If they were planning to put them on PS5, they would have outright said it.  Continuing to dance around the question by listing literally every possibility tells us nothing, and only makes it more likely that would make them exclusive IMO.  They have nothing to lose by saying the games will be multiplat and the deal falls through.  But it would be a joke if they announced exclusives just to not close the deal and lose that.

So to me, the dancing around suggests they plan on making them exclusive or they would have just stated that wouldn't be the case.  Only time will tell however.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

method114 said:

And there it is:

Ah yes because I'm going to take your word over Phil(and others). 

Around the Network

One thing won't change, as it was the rule for Bethesda before and benefits MS Windows: best version on PC.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

"Now Xbox chief financial officer Tim Stuart has offered additional clues on Microsoft's future strategy, suggesting Bethesda's games will be "either first or better or best" on its platforms."

"Speaking at the Jefferies Interactive Entertainment Virtual Conference (as transcribed by Seeking Alpha), Stuart offered assurances that Microsoft has no intention of "just pulling all of Bethesda content out of Sony or Nintendo or otherwise"

"That's not a point about being exclusive," he continued, "That's not a point about...adjusting timing or content or road map. But if you think about something like Game Pass, if it shows up best in Game Pass, that's what we want to see, and we want to drive our Game Pass subscriber base through that Bethesda pipeline."

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-11-17-microsoft-wants-bethesda-games-to-be-either-first-or-better-or-best-on-its-platforms

As expected.

Best on gamepass, available elsewhere.

Last edited by Barkley - on 17 November 2020

Barkley said:

"Now Xbox chief financial officer Tim Stuart has offered additional clues on Microsoft's future strategy, suggesting Bethesda's games will be "either first or better or best" on its platforms."

"Speaking at the Jefferies Interactive Entertainment Virtual Conference (as transcribed by Seeking Alpha), Stuart offered assurances that Microsoft has no intention of "just pulling all of Bethesda content out of Sony or Nintendo or otherwise"

"That's not a point about being exclusive," he continued, "That's not a point about...adjusting timing or content or road map. But if you think about something like Game Pass, if it shows up best in Game Pass, that's what we want to see, and we want to drive our Game Pass subscriber base through that Bethesda pipeline."

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-11-17-microsoft-wants-bethesda-games-to-be-either-first-or-better-or-best-on-its-platforms

As expected.

Best on gamepass, available elsewhere.

"I will not be announcing pulling franchises from other platforms, one way or the other."

You have to look at everything, not just what supports what you might want.  He directly contradicted everything he said with that statement, and likely for a reason.

Maybe they will be multiplat timed exclusive, maybe they will not come to PS5 at all.  There is no solid evidence of either at this time.  Hell for all we know, they may be in talks with Sony themselves about getting a few of their games on the XSX in exchange for keeping the IPs available on PS5 (even if timed releases themselves).

Last edited by Shiken - on 17 November 2020

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

I knew that stupid interview would bump this up. Lol damn now even I am getting nervous. But ultimately I believe if they just wanted Game Pass availability and nothing else it wouldn’t cost 7.5 billion to do that. Surely Phil is aware of Xboxs games stigma so giving them away to PS doesn’t help.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.