By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
sales2099 said:
chakkra said:

I think that is exactly the reason why it should've been made exclusive. I think MS made a HUGE mistake there. Yes, Minecraft gives them money in the short term, but "system sellers" are called system sellers for a reason. I'm 100% sure that Halo, Animal Crossing, and God of war would all sell a lot more if they were multiplatform but that is not their purpose in life, they all exist with the purpose of being the "system seller" to attract people to their respective platforms. I truly hope Microsoft learned their lesson and don't make the same mistake with Elder Scrolls.

It’s bigger then that. If people can’t crossplay with PS versions then it can trigger a domino effect and loose sales. Also bad PR for rolling back on what was allready a multiplat. And it clearly isn’t short term, it’s been making money the entire time. That’s long term cushion money to pad their entire division. 

That said, they didn’t confirm a PS5 version, bout time they keep the IP to themselves, while still supporting the PS4 version. I completely agree MS is too nice sometimes with their IP when Sony clearly plays dirty by comparison

What are you talking about?

Around the Network
Dallinor said:
sales2099 said:

It’s bigger then that. If people can’t crossplay with PS versions then it can trigger a domino effect and loose sales. Also bad PR for rolling back on what was allready a multiplat. And it clearly isn’t short term, it’s been making money the entire time. That’s long term cushion money to pad their entire division. 

That said, they didn’t confirm a PS5 version, bout time they keep the IP to themselves, while still supporting the PS4 version. I completely agree MS is too nice sometimes with their IP when Sony clearly plays dirty by comparison

Hey I’m just one little old opinion. I just feel Sony is too aggressive with moneyhats and MS doesn’t owe them any favours keeping certain games multiplat. They too nice.

Keep in mind I said by comparison. Minecraft, Wasteland 3, Outer Worlds, Psychonauts 2, Minecraft Dungeons, Ghostwire Tokyo, Deathloop....I can’t remember the last time Sony gave Xbox a 1st party game. 

(To anybody eager to slam the quote button I’m aware there are deals in place. But if MS were more aggressive I say break them all, pay any fees necessary, and give your community some games they can call their own)

Last edited by sales2099 - on 06 November 2020

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
Dallinor said:

Hey I’m just one little old opinion. I just feel Sony is too aggressive with moneyhats and MS doesn’t owe them any favours keeping certain games multiplat. They too nice.

Keep in mind I said by comparison. Minecraft, Wasteland 3, Outer Worlds, Psychonauts 2, Minecraft Dungeons, Ghostwire Tokyo, Deathloop....I can’t remember the last time Sony gave Xbox a 1st party game. 

(To anybody eager to slam the quote button I’m aware there are deals in place. But if MS were more aggressive I say break them all, pay any fees necessary, and give your community some games they can call their own)

I mean, do you even read what you write?

Sony are dirty? Microsoft are nice?

They stand to gain more then they lose by keeping those games multiplatform- It's all about the money. 

Obviously- they don't buy big third party studios.

There is no 'nice'. These decisions are weighed on the basis of return and profit. 

shikamaru317 said:
method114 said:

Minecraft dungeons came out this year in May. Want to try again?

It wouldn't make sense for Microsoft to blackball PS on any Minecraft game, new or old, when the series has a fanbase largely made of children. Phil has basically implied that he only allows Minecraft to stay multiplat because it would be shitty to lock a bunch of kids out from playing their favorite series, forcing their parents to buy a new console just to keep their kids from whining to them about not being able to play the latest Minecraft game. 

So right when they were reviewing options for their multi-billion dollar acquisition Phil steps in and says 'lets consider the parents guys'.

You can't honestly be that naïve. 

Dallinor said:
sales2099 said:

They stand to gain more then they lose by keeping those games multiplatform- It's all about the money. 

There is no 'nice'. These decisions are weighed on the basis of return and profit. 

If you need me to clarify “nice” I mean honouring the multiplat contracts. How it affects the end users, us. If they were to say treat 1st party games like Nintendo and Sony do, which I sincerely do not like that MS doesn’t, then they would proceed to nullify said contracts and swiftly cancel the PS versions of all games concerned. That’s what I meant by “nice”. Because they aren’t playing by the cutthroat traditions regarding 1st party games where they are only regulated to the owners console and nowhere else. And yes, I stand by the dirty comment, as Sony’s moneyhatts have been getting more egregious the last few years. 

Of course you make more money making games more available, that goes without saying. The point I’m saying is that MS is the only one really sharing of the big 3.

Last edited by sales2099 - on 06 November 2020

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
Dallinor said:

If you need me to clarify “nice” I mean honouring the multiplat contracts. If they were to say treat 1st party games like Nintendo and Sony do, which I sincerely do not like that MS doesn’t, then they would proceed to nullify said contracts and swiftly cancel the PS versions of all games concerned. That’s what I meant by “nice”. Because they aren’t playing by the cutthroat traditions regarding 1st party games where they are only regulated to the owners console and nowhere else. And yes, I stand by the dirty comment, as Sony’s moneyhatts have been getting more egregious the last few years. 

Of course you make more money making games more available, that goes without saying. The point I’m saying is that MS is the only one really sharing of the big 3.

The problem is you're applying positive human adjectives and emotions to calculated decisions that are based on running numbers. Microsoft aren't nice, or pleasant or accommodating. They're a business. This decision was reviewed and it was deemed better for the purpose of their bottom line (potentially PR as well). If they could make more money pulling the games and paying the fees, they would do it in a heartbeat. They didn't sit down in a board room and say- you know what guys? lets just be nice.

You can stand by it, we both know if the shoe was on the other foot you would be cheering it on. The label and context is amusing though, as a practice you're condemning restricting content, when this very thread is a testament to MS restricting content to over 100 million gamers- but they're not cutthroat, they're nice.

Of course they're the only ones sharing. They've abandoned the need for traditional hardware. MS basically are a third party publisher at this point. They're selling millions of games across all platforms. 

Dallinor said:
sales2099 said:

If you need me to clarify “nice” I mean honouring the multiplat contracts. If they were to say treat 1st party games like Nintendo and Sony do, which I sincerely do not like that MS doesn’t, then they would proceed to nullify said contracts and swiftly cancel the PS versions of all games concerned. That’s what I meant by “nice”. Because they aren’t playing by the cutthroat traditions regarding 1st party games where they are only regulated to the owners console and nowhere else. And yes, I stand by the dirty comment, as Sony’s moneyhatts have been getting more egregious the last few years. 

The problem is you're applying positive human adjectives and emotions to calculated decisions that are based on running numbers. Microsoft aren't nice, or pleasant or accommodating. They're a business. This decision was reviewed and it was deemed better for the purpose of their bottom line (potentially PR as well). If they could make more money pulling the games and paying the fees, they would do it in a heartbeat. They didn't sit down in a board room and say- you know what guys? lets just be nice.

You can stand by it, we both know if the shoe was on the other foot you would be cheering it on. The label and context is amusing though, as a practice you're condemning restricting content, when this very thread is a testament to MS restricting content to over 100 million gamers- but they're not cutthroat, they're nice.

Of course they're the only ones sharing. They've abandoned the need for traditional hardware. MS basically are a third party publisher at this point. They're selling millions of games across all platforms. 

Again I’m aware it makes sense to save money, honour the contracts and rake in the competing consoles cut before making all future games exclusive to Xbox consoles. Just a nuisance for fans like me and good for PS fans is all I’m saying.  

But even then MS restricting is nowhere like the other guy restricting. You can get Game Pass for a month and stream on an Android if you really wanted to. I wouldn’t call that excluding the entire PS4 install base, the barrier to entry for Xbox is so low it’s irrelevant that future Bethesda games won’t be on PlayStation. The only thing stopping them is pride and unconditional love/loyalty to their brand at this point. 

sales2099 said:
method114 said:

Minecraft dungeons came out this year in May. Want to try again?

Minecraft IP is too big to remain exclusive. 200 million sold and counting. It sucks but I guess it’s MSs Fortnight...it’s job is to print money and pad every fiscal quarter. Guess even spin-offs count. 

What about Hellblade 2? Original game was PS timed exclusive. Now it’s Xbox Ecosystem exclusive.

Instead of listing the exception to the rule, maybe consider that if the game was announced with platforms then MS honours it. Wasteland 3, Psychonauts 2, Outer Worlds. Games that have no platforms announced are fair game. Starfield, Elder Scrolls 6, Fallout 5, Doom 3, etc. 

Then how about Elder Scroll and Fallout that had made a lot money from cross platform and establish franchise on all platform. If the reason Minecraft made a lot money then Elder Scroll and Fallout also money maker if it released on other platform. Especially if the games were build with high end budget and need break even point for the sales. 

HollyGamer said:
sales2099 said:

Minecraft IP is too big to remain exclusive. 200 million sold and counting. It sucks but I guess it’s MSs Fortnight...it’s job is to print money and pad every fiscal quarter. Guess even spin-offs count. 

What about Hellblade 2? Original game was PS timed exclusive. Now it’s Xbox Ecosystem exclusive.

Instead of listing the exception to the rule, maybe consider that if the game was announced with platforms then MS honours it. Wasteland 3, Psychonauts 2, Outer Worlds. Games that have no platforms announced are fair game. Starfield, Elder Scrolls 6, Fallout 5, Doom 3, etc. 

Then how about Elder Scroll and Fallout that had made a lot money from cross platform and establish franchise on all platform. If the reason Minecraft made a lot money then Elder Scroll and Fallout also money maker if it released on other platform. Especially if the games were build with high end budget and need break even point for the sales. 

Let MS worry about that. Imo Steam and full purchase Xbox sales alone will net a profit. Will it make more on PS5? Sure. But the real goal is to steal users making them join the Xbox ecosystem, and sub to Game Pass. 

sales2099 said:
HollyGamer said:

Let MS worry about that. Imo Steam and full purchase Xbox sales alone will net a profit. Will it make more on PS5? Sure. But the real goal is to steal users making them join the Xbox ecosystem, and sub to Game Pass. 

I said again, I am not worried. It's just funny if you think money is not a concern for Microsoft but they are still selling Minecraft to other platform. They should make Minecraft as selling point and made it exclusives for gamepads if they believe that game pass will help them.