By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Spike0503 said:
HoloDust said:

Yeah, Xbox or not, it really doesn't matter to me, I'm computer gamer primarily, ang given that FO is one of my all time favorites (admittedly FO1/2), giving it back to dev consisiting of folks who originally made it is massive for me...I pretty much have written off FO as something I expect to ever have good entry again, but this gives me new hope.

I couldn't agree more. I thought Fallout could only get worse but this is indeed hopeful even if I won't get to play them, lol. Also, the original Fallout is king!

My thought was actually, time for a new Fallout Tactics (instead of a gears one).
Also after Fallout 76, things can only go upwards for fallout games.

Around the Network
hunter_alien said:

This. I really do not understand how people don't see this. Sony will be forced to respond now, and the domino effect was set in motion. I don't think we have ever seen such a huge purchase from one console manufacturer before. Then Sony will buy some studios, then Nintendo, then MS again, and soon all the 3rd party games will be hidden behind a payment wall atop a payment wall. I do not like this, one bit.

Sony is not nearly as rich as Microsoft though... But in saying that Sony does have 30~ billion dollars sitting in the bank... And money sitting in a bank doesn't make investors happy if that money can be invested to accrue larger profits.

I would not be surprised if Sony throws around 10 or so billion in acquisitions.

In an acquisition war... Microsoft will obviously come out on top, they have a market cap of 1.5~ trillion dollars which is absolutely bonkers... That gives Microsoft a ton of room to acquire large loans/finance and issue stock on top of the already 130~ billion they have in the bank.

To put Microsoft market cap in perspective... In country terms that would put Microsoft as the 13th wealthiest nation in the world.

JRPGfan said:
This is a insane purchase..... if MS makes Doom + Wolfenstein + elderscrolls as console exclusives, I could see that pulling alot of sony buyers away.

To be fair... Microsoft had Doom+Elderscrolls as a console exclusive during the 6th gen and the PS2 still dominated...

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

RolStoppable said:
hunter_alien said:

Nintendo started the entire exclusivity business during the SNES era. Back then the console marke was far more vibrant and Sony was just yet another newcommer, who actually knew what he was doing. Lets not forget it was Nintendo who screwed them over with their exit from the unified console deal They never needed to moneyhat exclusive deals in any major way as 3rd parties flocked to them after they burnet themselves with the horrible deals they made with Nintendo and later with MS. Or ar we forgetting the exclusive rush MS had with the first Xbox? Or the pricedrops of the GC that made it far cheaper than a PS2? Or the several billion $ loss MS had with their first system just because they bought up exclusives and sold the system at a loss?

Your memory seems to be selective as of late Rol, for pretty much any info that doesn't suits your bill.

1. Nintendo didn't pay for any exclusivity on the SNES, just like they didn't do it on the NES.

2. Nintendo "screwed over" Sony because Sony's intent was to make Nintendo a third party publisher with the Play Station project, so Nintendo would have had to pay royalties to Sony for making games for the SNES CD add-on.

3. The guy who was Squaresoft's CEO in the 1990s is on record saying that Squaresoft went with Sony because of how good of a deal Sony gave them for going exclusively to PlayStation.

4. Early GC and Xbox price drops were a result of Sony's aggressive PS2 price cut. The PS2 was already outselling the GC and Xbox at the time, so it wouldn't have needed that price cut, but Sony did it anyway in hopes that Nintendo and Microsoft would follow Sega in making an exit.

My memory is fine, its yours that is questionable. Especially your belief that Sony didn't moneyhat exclusive deals in any major way when it's 100% confirmed that some of the biggest IPs in gaming during their respective time (Final Fantasy on PS1 and Grand Theft Auto on PS2) were moneyhatted by Sony.

https://www.polygon.com/a/final-fantasy-7#the-origins

Tomoyuki Takechi, CEO of Squaresoft: "Sony basically gave us the best deal they were giving to any publisher. And they did a lot of public relations work and marketing on their dime. They gave us a great deal to help convince us to come over. … I can’t talk about the details, but one thing I can say is that Sony went very low on the per-unit royalties that we had to pay."

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/news080903gtaexclusivity

I don't think it's necessary to go over the more recent moneyhats of Sony because they should still be fresh enough in people's minds, especially as far as the PS4 and upcoming PS5 are concerned.

Yes, so all that you proved me is the fact that Sony actually worked on maintaining a good relationship with 3rd parties while Nintendo decided not to, hence the result that stilkl can be felt a quarter century later. Nintendo was taking massive chunks as royalties, and Sony decided not to do this. Nintendoi taught that they were the only 800 pund gorilla in the ring (let me see if this rings a bell) and they failed misserably.

Nintendo was also notorios about signing only exclusive deals with 3rd parties during the SNES era. This is also a very well documented fact, reason why Sega often got tthe shitty versions of games or no games at all.

The fact was that Sony managed to cut the price of the PS2 for one simple reason: they were selling shitloads and they could afford it. Also, because of their gaming library, even at a higher price/lower specs they destroyed the competition. I would simply say bravo to that.

All in all, I could agree that your memory is fairly intact, though the way you analize them leaves a whole lot to be desired.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

The Fury said:
Louie said:

Crazy move by Microsoft. I love Elder Scrolls and I've always wanted to play the modern Doom games... and well, I'd give the majority of these franchises at least a try.

As for this being anti-consumer: Yes, I see the point and I'm worried this will turn into a huge acquisition war. But to be fair, didn't we have a thread a while ago about which studios Sony should acquire next? Same procedure every single time: If *my* manufacturer does it, it's great. If the competition does it, it's bad. (And that's not directed against Sony fans! I'm fully aware Nintendo fans defend practices they usually despise if Nintendo uses them).

Doom is out now, nothing stopping you buying and playing them now.

On the latter when people talk about what studios Sony (or MS or whoever) buy it's usually a single studio they talk about. MS has purchased a few studios over the last few years, one they've worked closely with (Playground, Forza Horizon games) and some not so closely but they obviously saw promise for future releases (Ninja Theory). No one really had any issues as they were just single independent studios being bought out, they were working for MS already or had their own projects anyway.

Buying an entire competing publisher on the other hand? That's rather more questionable. 

First point: You are absolutely right, but Gamepass makes it cheaper for me to jump in. I'm not sure I would give these franchises a try otherwise.

Second point: I agree and as I said I don't want this to turn into an acquisition war and for the gaming industry to go the way of the video-streaming services. But the double-standard argument still stands: There is a thread on the main page right now about people on Twitter asking Sony to buy Konami as a response to Microsoft's move.

Sony did the exact same thing as Microsoft does now when they entered the gaming market with the PS1 and later with the PS3 when that console didn't sell well: They literally poured billions of dollars into the project and Nintendo couldn't compete until they used disruptive technology and the blue ocean strategy with the Wii and DS. Microsoft is doing the same thing, it's just that these days you want publishers to be represented on your service exclusively and the days of losing billions of dollars on hardware are over. Is it bad for the gaming industry? It could very well be in the near future, yes. Is it "unfair" because Microsoft is buying a whole publisher instead of "just" a bunch of studios, therefore Sony is the good guy? No. In fact, I think this is just a token argument because Sony hasn't done it so far. If Sony did it first the same people who now condemn the move would shout from the rooftops how genius Sony is. And vice versa - I'm not claiming Microsoft or Nintendo fans are any better (except, of course, Nintendo fans are the greatest

hunter_alien said:

Yes, so all that you proved me is the fact that Sony actually worked on maintaining a good relationship with 3rd parties while Nintendo decided not to.

Guess Microsoft is maintaining a very good relationship with Bethesda  

Around the Network
Dante9 said:
Wow, I just didn't expect that anyone would go there. To buy solitary studios, sure, but to buy a whole frigging huge publisher? Wow.
Okay, I'm only interested in Elder Scrolls and Fallout. Worst case scenario, we won't get them on the PS. That would be a bummer, but I would live with that, still going with Sony because of all the other things. Best case scenario, nothing really changes and we get Elder Scrolls and Fallouts as usual. Nice.
Whatever happens, this is worrying as a whole for the industry. The dominoes, man. What next, the other big players start doing the same? Amazon buys EA and Google buys Ubisoft?

Imo Microsoft buying studios and gaming companies is better than Sony or Nintendo doing it since Microsoft is full on Gamepass = PC version. It wont be exclusive to 1 device. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Yeah Xbox is getting more and more ip's that are to my liking, wanted to just get gamepass on my pc before they bought zenimax but now i'm leaning towards getting the x box series x.

I’ve come to accept what happend yesterday. All is not lost and there’s no need for me to worry about what will happen to gaming industry’s future. I will as usual stick with Nintendo and those jrpgs/wrpgs I like. I was anyway gonna buy a PC down the line for Falcom games and PC strategy games.

Yeah, yesterday the news broke me. I like sat on a park bench looking at birds for hours. And I was filling up my cat’s food bowl to give it to her but accidently offered to my friend. I was really fucked yesterday.

Last edited by Stellar_Fungk - on 22 September 2020

I am a Nintendo fanatic.

Pemalite said:
hunter_alien said:

This. I really do not understand how people don't see this. Sony will be forced to respond now, and the domino effect was set in motion. I don't think we have ever seen such a huge purchase from one console manufacturer before. Then Sony will buy some studios, then Nintendo, then MS again, and soon all the 3rd party games will be hidden behind a payment wall atop a payment wall. I do not like this, one bit.

Sony is not nearly as rich as Microsoft though... But in saying that Sony does have 30~ billion dollars sitting in the bank... And money sitting in a bank doesn't make investors happy if that money can be invested to accrue larger profits.

I would not be surprised if Sony throws around 10 or so billion in acquisitions.

In an acquisition war... Microsoft will obviously come out on top, they have a market cap of 1.5~ trillion dollars which is absolutely bonkers... That gives Microsoft a ton of room to acquire large loans/finance and issue stock on top of the already 130~ billion they have in the bank.

To put Microsoft market cap in perspective... In country terms that would put Microsoft as the 13th wealthiest nation in the world.

JRPGfan said:
This is a insane purchase..... if MS makes Doom + Wolfenstein + elderscrolls as console exclusives, I could see that pulling alot of sony buyers away.

To be fair... Microsoft had Doom+Elderscrolls as a console exclusive during the 6th gen and the PS2 still dominated...

TES became big only when Skyrim dropped. Fallout also did the same when F3 happened. 

Louie said:
hunter_alien said:

Yes, so all that you proved me is the fact that Sony actually worked on maintaining a good relationship with 3rd parties while Nintendo decided not to.

Guess Microsoft is maintaining a very good relationship with Bethesda  

They've been in bed since forever. 

Jranation said:
Dante9 said:
Wow, I just didn't expect that anyone would go there. To buy solitary studios, sure, but to buy a whole frigging huge publisher? Wow.
Okay, I'm only interested in Elder Scrolls and Fallout. Worst case scenario, we won't get them on the PS. That would be a bummer, but I would live with that, still going with Sony because of all the other things. Best case scenario, nothing really changes and we get Elder Scrolls and Fallouts as usual. Nice.
Whatever happens, this is worrying as a whole for the industry. The dominoes, man. What next, the other big players start doing the same? Amazon buys EA and Google buys Ubisoft?

Imo Microsoft buying studios and gaming companies is better than Sony or Nintendo doing it since Microsoft is full on Gamepass = PC version. It wont be exclusive to 1 device. 

That's true. In the end not much is going to change. Ps5 will still get the Bethesda games, its just that it'll be a lot more appealing to play them on Gamepass instead.

Thing is, though, its no use to MS if people sign up for a month of GP, finish the next Doom and cancel afterwards. I mean, would people stay subscribed to Netflix if they only released 2 or 3 blockbuster movies a year? People stay subscribed because of the series and the flow of fresh content. In order for GP to work, MS will also need a ton of episodic content and/or GAAS titles that'll keep people engaged with their service.

For better or worse, I think MS focus on GP will completely change the way we are used to gaming now. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if we'll be seeing Doom episodes, for example instead of a full game release. Hell, they already said there's not going to be another Halo and they're going full Destiny with the franchise instead.