By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
RolStoppable said:
hunter_alien said:

Yes, so all that you proved me is the fact that Sony actually worked on maintaining a good relationship with 3rd parties while Nintendo decided not to, hence the result that stilkl can be felt a quarter century later. Nintendo was taking massive chunks as royalties, and Sony decided not to do this. Nintendoi taught that they were the only 800 pund gorilla in the ring (let me see if this rings a bell) and they failed misserably.

Nintendo was also notorios about signing only exclusive deals with 3rd parties during the SNES era. This is also a very well documented fact, reason why Sega often got tthe shitty versions of games or no games at all.

The fact was that Sony managed to cut the price of the PS2 for one simple reason: they were selling shitloads and they could afford it. Also, because of their gaming library, even at a higher price/lower specs they destroyed the competition. I would simply say bravo to that.

All in all, I could agree that your memory is fairly intact, though the way you analize them leaves a whole lot to be desired.

If I use your logic of maintaining a good relationship with third parties, then Nintendo making a deal with Capcom to prevent Monster Hunter coming to PS Vita wasn't a moneyhat. Nintendo merely worked on having a good relationship with Capcom while Sony couldn't care less, hence why Sony's handheld business came to an end. But the truth is, once such a moneyhat has gone through, there's nothing that a competing console manufacturer can do about it.

You'll have to give some examples of this well documented fact that Sega got shitty versions of games and which third party games Nintendo had actual deals with.

To this day people are amazed/perplexed that Nintendo made more profits from console gaming during the PS2 era than Sony. You say bravo to that, but Sony's takeaway was a different one, hence why they didn't repeat it with the PS4. They realized that they'd be throwing a lot of money away for no appreciable reason.

Who is perplexed, the GBA pretty much guaranteed that Nintendo will remain highly profitable as the only relevant handheld manufacturer on a global scale.

Also, I hate doing research for others, but just for the argument's sake here you go:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-27373587

Quote: "The idea is that the firm was obsessed by the quality of the titles released for its platform, leading it to impose restrictions on how many games other third-party publishers could release each year and reserving the right to reject their work if it felt it didn't meet Nintendo's standards. Sega deliberately took the opposite tack, resulting in it being able to boast a larger games library, even if it had more duds."

Nintendo almost literary severed its relationship with 3rd parties during that gen, hiding behind the "quality" mantra, yet notable real stinkers prove that it was mostly a tool to keep devs firmly in their ecosystem.

There is also a decent book about it, detailing how :

The Ultimate History of Video Games: The Story Behind the Craze that Touched our Lives and Changed the World

Most of the relevant parts are on the SNES wikipedia page, under the Console wars and Changes section, so feel free to check them out.

This is also a topic that was widely covered by several online personalities including the AVGN and even Digital Foundry, so it's pretty hard to imagine that you never came upon this info.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network
Jranation said:
Dante9 said:
Wow, I just didn't expect that anyone would go there. To buy solitary studios, sure, but to buy a whole frigging huge publisher? Wow.
Okay, I'm only interested in Elder Scrolls and Fallout. Worst case scenario, we won't get them on the PS. That would be a bummer, but I would live with that, still going with Sony because of all the other things. Best case scenario, nothing really changes and we get Elder Scrolls and Fallouts as usual. Nice.
Whatever happens, this is worrying as a whole for the industry. The dominoes, man. What next, the other big players start doing the same? Amazon buys EA and Google buys Ubisoft?

Imo Microsoft buying studios and gaming companies is better than Sony or Nintendo doing it since Microsoft is full on Gamepass = PC version. It wont be exclusive to 1 device. 

Yupp... piracy it is

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

zero129 said:
goopy20 said:

That's true. In the end not much is going to change. Ps5 will still get the Bethesda games, its just that it'll be a lot more appealing to play them on Gamepass instead.

Thing is, though, its no use to MS if people sign up for a month of GP, finish the next Doom and cancel afterwards. I mean, would people stay subscribed to Netflix if they only released 2 or 3 blockbuster movies a year? People stay subscribed because of the series and the flow of fresh content. In order for GP to work, MS will also need a ton of episodic content and/or GAAS titles that'll keep people engaged with their service.

For better or worse, I think MS focus on GP will completely change the way we are used to gaming now. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if we'll be seeing Doom episodes, for example instead of a full game release. Hell, they already said there's not going to be another Halo and they're going full Destiny with the franchise instead. 

Awhile ago in this thread your saying MS doesnt have the brand power to support GP against Sony and google etc in the cloud space.

Now your saying once again they dont have content and games will be cut down and sliced up etc.

Yet if you have used GP you would see that isnt the case.

Lets say we are all playing in the cloud, will the masses subscribe to Game Pass or will they go with big brands like Nintendo or Playstation? I'm not convinced MS would win that one as Sony and Nintendo simply have better brand awareness among the gaming crowd. It's just that they're not trying to compete in the Cloud gaming services yet. If they were, it would be far more likely that Sony and Nintendo become the Netflix of gaming, and MS would become more like Amazon, providing to platform for the industry and making a fortune from it. 

I've been using GP for a while now and its pretty obvious that they're focusing on different types of games. Its not like they have no exclusives, its just that they were less noticeable compared to the big blockbusters Sony had.

Hell this year alone we had; Bladed Edge, Minecraft Dungeons, Grounded, Wasteland 3, Battletoads, Gears Tactics, Ori, Tell me Why and Flightsim. If you can't see a pattern there, then I don't know what to tell you. They've been pouring out a ton of A AA games because those don't take a fortune and 5 years to make and are perfect for the GP business model. Halo is going GAAS and we'll have to see what they'll do with their other IPs.

Last edited by goopy20 - on 22 September 2020

Stellar_Fungk said:

I’ve come to accept what happend yesterday. All is not lost and there’s no need for me to worry about what will happen to gaming industry’s future. I will as usual stick with Nintendo and those jrpgs/wrpgs I like. I was anyway gonna buy a PC down the line for Falcom games and PC strategy games.

Yeah, yesterday the news broke me. I like sat on a park bench looking at birds for hours. And I was filling up my cat’s food bowl to give it to her but accidently offered to my friend. I was really fucked yesterday.

Did your friend ate it? 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
Stellar_Fungk said:

I’ve come to accept what happend yesterday. All is not lost and there’s no need for me to worry about what will happen to gaming industry’s future. I will as usual stick with Nintendo and those jrpgs/wrpgs I like. I was anyway gonna buy a PC down the line for Falcom games and PC strategy games.

Yeah, yesterday the news broke me. I like sat on a park bench looking at birds for hours. And I was filling up my cat’s food bowl to give it to her but accidently offered to my friend. I was really fucked yesterday.

Did your friend ate it? 

You cant be too picky about what you get for free.

Around the Network
goopy20 said:
Jranation said:

Imo Microsoft buying studios and gaming companies is better than Sony or Nintendo doing it since Microsoft is full on Gamepass = PC version. It wont be exclusive to 1 device. 

That's true. In the end not much is going to change. Ps5 will still get the Bethesda games, its just that it'll be a lot more appealing to play them on Gamepass instead.

Thing is, though, its no use to MS if people sign up for a month of GP, finish the next Doom and cancel afterwards. I mean, would people stay subscribed to Netflix if they only released 2 or 3 blockbuster movies a year? People stay subscribed because of the series and the flow of fresh content. In order for GP to work, MS will also need a ton of episodic content and/or GAAS titles that'll keep people engaged with their service.

For better or worse, I think MS focus on GP will completely change the way we are used to gaming now. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if we'll be seeing Doom episodes, for example instead of a full game release. Hell, they already said there's not going to be another Halo and they're going full Destiny with the franchise instead. 

Go try GamePass for 2-3 month and come back and talk about the gamepass experience. 

goopy20 said:

Hell this year alone we had; Bladed Edge, Minecraft Dungeons, Grounded, Wasteland 3, Battletoads, Gears Tactics, Ori, Tell me Why and Flightsim. If you can't see a pattern there, then I don't know what to tell you. They've been pouring out a ton of A AA games because those don't take a fortune and 5 years to make and are perfect for the GP business model. Halo is going GAAS and we'll have to see what they'll do with their other IPs.

Is the pattern a quality library of different genres? What do I win for getting it right?

Wow, lots of great games with loads of replay value across different genres, and these aren't even their big titles. Sounds terrible.

LudicrousSpeed said:
goopy20 said:

Is the pattern a quality library of different genres? What do I win for getting it right?

Wow, lots of great games with loads of replay value across different genres, and these aren't even their big titles. Sounds terrible.

Look, we all have different tastes in games. Personally I love stuff like Wasteland 3, battletoads, Grounded as well a AAA game like TLOU2. Only thing I'm saying is that Sony and MS are going with completely different strategies and it will show in the types of games they'll be focusing on.

Sony is all about story telling and single player blockbusters. If you don't like those sort of games, you're in luck because they wouldn't work with the GP model. MS will be about quantity, smaller scale games and experiences that keep people engaged with GP over a long period of time. Elder Scrolls Online, Tell me Why... perfect games for GP. Doom Eternal, Gear 5.. not so much. 

goopy20 said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Look, we all have different tastes in games. Personally I love stuff like Wasteland 3, battletoads, Grounded as well a AAA game like TLOU2. Only thing I'm saying is that Sony and MS are going with completely different strategies and it will show in the types of games they'll be focusing on.

Sony is all about story telling and single player blockbusters. If you don't like those sort of games, you're in luck because they wouldn't work with the GP model. MS will be about quantity, smaller scale games and experiences that keep people engaged with GP over a long period of time. Elder Scrolls Online, Tell me Why... perfect games for GP. Doom Eternal, Gear 5.. not so much. 

don't pardon me. But you just straight up talking out of your ass

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

I wonder how will be the market in 10 years and how publishers not owned by service providers will make money. This move is the beginning of what will make Gamepass maybe sucesseful and perhaps will make suscription the norm. I don't want that ; I don't want to see one or two service providers make a lot of cheaper games, GAAS, and make suscriptions climb when the traditional market is over. Like what makes Amazon successeful, losing money for years until the become one of the only way to buy on Internet. Like a lot of Netflix series, even the best ones, have a lot of common recieps. It's a way of using games I don't like. At least, if it will become the standard, i'ill be old enough to quit gaming without too many regrets ;)