By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
chakkra said:
goopy20 said:

This goes beyond moneyhatting a couple of timed exclusives lol. Like I've been saying for months, Xcloud isn't just some cool optional bonus, it's MS's endgame. This just shows how serious they are about it.

Put on your tinfoil hat and bear with me for a second. At the moment GP has 15m subscribers. I'm guessing most of those subscribers are cheap ass bastards like me, who sign up for a month, play Gears 4/5 and cancel until some new noteworthy games get released. This is why GP is already bleeding money, let alone after a 7.5B acquisition like this.

15m Subscribers is peanuts in the grand scheme of things and I'm sure MS knows they are not going to get a big enough installbase of Series X/S to carry the GP platform. The only way GP can turn profitable is if they can tap into the billions of mobile gamers and massively expand their audience. This is one helluva gamble if you ask me. Are the bulk of the mobile gamers - who never even owned a console - really going to buy and walk around with a Xbox controller and play core games on their phones? Will the total number of gamers really grow exponentially if we don't need to buy consoles anymore and we can all stream games from an app on our TV's? I just don't see that happening at all. What MS seems to be missing is that not everybody with a phone or a TV is a gamer and gamers don't care about Cloud gaming. 

We'll see how this plays out but I honestly see MS releasing GP on ps5/ Switch later on. It would be a win-win for everybody when you think about it, especially for MS shareholders.

Hmmm.. that's an interesting theory. One quick question though; what exactly would Sony and Nintendo gain from having Game Pass in their consoles?

Well, why does Apple allow Netflix on Apple TV? If people have so many ways to access Netflix anyway, might as well allow it on your platform and collect that 30% revenue fee.

Sure, for Sony it might get in the way of what they're doing with PsNow, but that's not their main focus anyway. Sony is doing it the old fashioned way and wants to lock us into their ecosystem by selling us consoles. But if gaming in the cloud really is the future (which I highly doubt), I'm sure we'll see a bunch of subscription services competing in the same space, kinda like Netflix, Amazon Prime, disney+ now. I'm just not sure that MS has the brand power to win that one either. 

Around the Network

This is a insane purchase..... if MS makes Doom + Wolfenstein + elderscrolls as console exclusives, I could see that pulling alot of sony buyers away.

Crazy move by Microsoft. I love Elder Scrolls and I've always wanted to play the modern Doom games... and well, I'd give the majority of these franchises at least a try.

The Xbox Series S with Gamepass is looking really enticing right now. I'm perfectly happy with the graphics on my Switch, I don't need 4k and can still upgrade to the X later. The Series S + Gamepass combo is a crazy good deal in my eyes. Jesus, I think I'll buy an Xbox this gen.

As for this being anti-consumer: Yes, I see the point and I'm worried this will turn into a huge acquisition war. But to be fair, didn't we have a thread a while ago about which studios Sony should acquire next? Same procedure every single time: If *my* manufacturer does it, it's great. If the competition does it, it's bad. (And that's not directed against Sony fans! I'm fully aware Nintendo fans defend practices they usually despise if Nintendo uses them).

Spike0503 said:
HoloDust said:
The thing I hope the most from this acquisition is MS taking Fallout and putting it where it belongs - with Obsidian.

I don't buy Xbox consoles but if they do this? I'd genuinely start thinking about buying an XSX at some point. Fallout is too precious for me but it has been stained over and over by the hacks at Bethesda. If Obsidian gets them...that's huge for me.

Yeah, Xbox or not, it really doesn't matter to me, I'm computer gamer primarily, ang given that FO is one of my all time favorites (admittedly FO1/2), giving it back to dev consisiting of folks who originally made it is massive for me...I pretty much have written off FO as something I expect to ever have good entry again, but this gives me new hope.

Don't know if this has been posted before, but anyway:

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network
HoloDust said:
Spike0503 said:

I don't buy Xbox consoles but if they do this? I'd genuinely start thinking about buying an XSX at some point. Fallout is too precious for me but it has been stained over and over by the hacks at Bethesda. If Obsidian gets them...that's huge for me.

Yeah, Xbox or not, it really doesn't matter to me, I'm computer gamer primarily, ang given that FO is one of my all time favorites (admittedly FO1/2), giving it back to dev consisiting of folks who originally made it is massive for me...I pretty much have written off FO as something I expect to ever have good entry again, but this gives me new hope.

I couldn't agree more. I thought Fallout could only get worse but this is indeed hopeful even if I won't get to play them, lol. Also, the original Fallout is king!

Louie said:

Crazy move by Microsoft. I love Elder Scrolls and I've always wanted to play the modern Doom games... and well, I'd give the majority of these franchises at least a try.

As for this being anti-consumer: Yes, I see the point and I'm worried this will turn into a huge acquisition war. But to be fair, didn't we have a thread a while ago about which studios Sony should acquire next? Same procedure every single time: If *my* manufacturer does it, it's great. If the competition does it, it's bad. (And that's not directed against Sony fans! I'm fully aware Nintendo fans defend practices they usually despise if Nintendo uses them).

Doom is out now, nothing stopping you buying and playing them now.

On the latter when people talk about what studios Sony (or MS or whoever) buy it's usually a single studio they talk about. MS has purchased a few studios over the last few years, one they've worked closely with (Playground, Forza Horizon games) and some not so closely but they obviously saw promise for future releases (Ninja Theory). No one really had any issues as they were just single independent studios being bought out, they were working for MS already or had their own projects anyway.

Buying an entire competing publisher on the other hand? That's rather more questionable. 

Hmm, pie.

JRPGfan said:
This is a insane purchase..... if MS makes Doom + Wolfenstein + elderscrolls as console exclusives, I could see that pulling alot of sony buyers away.

If MS does that I see those IPs losing a lot of their value.

More likely I think those games will still be avaliable on PS, but will be a lot more convenient to play on gamepass

Wow, I just didn't expect that anyone would go there. To buy solitary studios, sure, but to buy a whole frigging huge publisher? Wow.
Okay, I'm only interested in Elder Scrolls and Fallout. Worst case scenario, we won't get them on the PS. That would be a bummer, but I would live with that, still going with Sony because of all the other things. Best case scenario, nothing really changes and we get Elder Scrolls and Fallouts as usual. Nice.
Whatever happens, this is worrying as a whole for the industry. The dominoes, man. What next, the other big players start doing the same? Amazon buys EA and Google buys Ubisoft?

Dante9 said:
Wow, I just didn't expect that anyone would go there. To buy solitary studios, sure, but to buy a whole frigging huge publisher? Wow.
Okay, I'm only interested in Elder Scrolls and Fallout. Worst case scenario, we won't get them on the PS. That would be a bummer, but I would live with that, still going with Sony because of all the other things. Best case scenario, nothing really changes and we get Elder Scrolls and Fallouts as usual. Nice.
Whatever happens, this is worrying as a whole for the industry. The dominoes, man. What next, the other big players start doing the same? Amazon buys EA and Google buys Ubisoft?

EA is kinda whatever imo, but Ubisoft would be a huge blow.
Thats atleast at the level of zeniMax or higher (probably more expensive to buy too).