By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Anyone else felt underwhelmed with the FF XVI reveal?

They should kept battle system from FF7R, this is simple the perfect balance and something unique. The mediaval setting is fine for me. I dont know what to think about this Game of Thrones vibe, but we will see.

Around the Network
KingofTrolls said:
They should kept battle system from FF7R, this is simple the perfect balance and something unique. The mediaval setting is fine for me. I dont know what to think about this Game of Thrones vibe, but we will see.

What tells you it's a lot different,and why everything darker is suddenly game of thrones ?( Final fantasy was dark way before the existence of the song of ice and fire books,it's like saying the Manga Berserk has Dark souls vibes.)

People are assuming too much about the gameplay already

Xxain said:

Have you heard of Bravely Default? It has taken classic Final Fantasy and wrapped it up in new IP,  that is new in name only. You should pick it up if you havent.

I have noticed that there is a lot of bitching about the little bits of battle system we saw, based off that it reminds you of XV, without considering the idea that the lead combat designer for the DMC games is charge of the battle system. Square Enix understands that some did not like the action based battle system of XV and are putting somebody more knowledgeable in the field in charge. Is there a reason that there is a lack of consideration for that .... or is it just a cover for " Its not turn based"?

I have heard of Bravely Default, I'm sure it's great, it's not Final Fantasy though. I'm a fan of Final Fantasy.

Oh we have considered that which is why many people here are comparing it to DMC, the question isn't how he added action combat style to FFXVI, I've sure he has done a great job. It's why SquEnix has given it an action based combat system and not what FF is known for, the ATB (turn based).

GoOnKid said:

Third paragraph: Perhaps. It might work, I guess it's just me, then. I like to think that Final Fantasy always trys to reinvent itself, that's why it changed it's battle mechanics in every game. Sometimes the changes are subtile, sometimes they're fundamental, but they'are always a bit different from one another. I believe that the action focused direction which the series is currently taking had already been settled with FFXIII and especially FFXV.

Second paragraph: I understand and I feel you on this, I am a huge fan of the old FF games myself. With FFXII and then XIII the battle system was changed fundamentally, but I still liked them both even though I was a bit sceptical at first. So maybe I will like ths one as well if I just give it a go. Maybe you'll end up enjoying at as well, who knows.

First paragraph: Now here is the thing: This Final Fantasy XVI will still align quite well into the entire series, maybe even better than FFXV did. We are still getting an epic tale of kingdoms and empires, alliances and betrayals, magic and technology, dramatic battles and large areas to explore. It's all there. All infused with series staples like typical job classes (we've seen knights, a dragoon, and summoners), classic Summons like Titan, Shiva, Phoenix and Ifrit, and of course Chocobos. Let's imagine that this, along with this new battle system, is the evolution that Square Enix has in mind with the series.

The 'reinvention' isn't as robust as people claim, else by now you'd think we should be playing some kind of shooter (they are the most popular after all :P). Latest FF games haven't reinvented ATB or turn based, they are replacing it. To me, they've decied for some reason (I still don't know why) that the ATB is wrong and that it's no longer wanted. This is what I don't get.

The gameplay here may be good (generally all FF games are good, even FF13 which is my least favourite of the ones I've played, it's a bad FF game but a good game) and as a fan of the series I'm very likely to pick it up and I'll probably enjoy it but still doesn't mean I think it's a Final Fantasy game as I like them.

Hmm, pie.

Wyrdness said:
On the battle system of FF for me personally the problem wasn't it being action based the problem was the execution it was an odd action automated system which didn't know what it wanted to be or what the main point of depth was the game would have been better off sticking with the KH like system it started off with.

I don't mind controlling one character as long as you can switch to others like in VIIR, the trailer of XVI does show another character in combat with you if you look closely the's another knight fighting with the main character in a few seconds of footage so I'm sure the will be a party system.

That was a cutscene. In the gameplay segments we see there is never another character fighting alongside the protagonist.

Ka-pi96 said:

Jog on. Like what you like, but there's no need to insult people because they like something different.

I admit I phrased that bad very badly. I should have added right at the beginning that I prefer turn-based battles myself in general and that we might just have to deal with that. I just don't believe that Final Fantasy will ever be going back to turn-based battles, but that doesn't necessarily has to be a bad thing.

Around the Network
GoOnKid said:

Third paragraph: Perhaps. It might work, I guess it's just me, then. I like to think that Final Fantasy always trys to reinvent itself, that's why it changed it's battle mechanics in every game. Sometimes the changes are subtile, sometimes they're fundamental, but they'are always a bit different from one another. I believe that the action focused direction which the series is currently taking had already been settled with FFXIII and especially FFXV.

Second paragraph: I understand and I feel you on this, I am a huge fan of the old FF games myself. With FFXII and then XIII the battle system was changed fundamentally, but I still liked them both even though I was a bit sceptical at first. So maybe I will like ths one as well if I just give it a go. Maybe you'll end up enjoying at as well, who knows.

First paragraph: Now here is the thing: This Final Fantasy XVI will still align quite well into the entire series, maybe even better than FFXV did. We are still getting an epic tale of kingdoms and empires, alliances and betrayals, magic and technology, dramatic battles and large areas to explore. It's all there. All infused with series staples like typical job classes (we've seen knights, a dragoon, and summoners), classic Summons like Titan, Shiva, Phoenix and Ifrit, and of course Chocobos. Let's imagine that this, along with this new battle system, is the evolution that Square Enix has in mind with the series.

The 'reinvention' isn't as robust as people claim, else by now you'd think we should be playing some kind of shooter (they are the most popular after all :P). Latest FF games haven't reinvented ATB or turn based, they are replacing it. To me, they've decied for some reason (I still don't know why) that the ATB is wrong and that it's no longer wanted. This is what I don't get.

The gameplay here may be good (generally all FF games are good, even FF13 which is my least favourite of the ones I've played, it's a bad FF game but a good game) and as a fan of the series I'm very likely to pick it up and I'll probably enjoy it but still doesn't mean I think it's a Final Fantasy game as I like them.

Must have been the market research analysts at Square Enix. Probably the same people who got to the conclusion that people like long, narrow pathways because Call of Duty is a hit, so we got Final Fantasy XIII. Oh wait...

I agree with most of the rest. I am looking forward to see more of this game for now.

Nautilus said:
Plus there is the fact that this feels very Game of Thrones inspired... Im not against blood or characters dying, but that kind of direction is not what I want for FF.

Does that mean you disliked FF7? I mean it did the whole omg how and why TLOU did way before the TLOU with serval characters and also before Got. 

Ka-pi96 said:
GoOnKid said:

I admit I phrased that bad very badly. I should have added right at the beginning that I prefer turn-based battles myself in general and that we might just have to deal with that. I just don't believe that Final Fantasy will ever be going back to turn-based battles, but that doesn't necessarily has to be a bad thing.

If, like me, the gameplay is the reason you liked the Final Fantasy series though then it definitely is a bad thing. The graphics have never been a selling point for me, I just want them to be adequate, they don't need to be exceptional. So I'm going to criticise it because this doesn't look like what I expect from an FF game. Disagreeing is fine, but it pisses me off when people trying to sweep criticism like mine under the rug.

Plus, I don't even hate action RPGs. I quite like some in fact. It's not what I want for Final Fantasy, but I'm not anti-action RPGs. Let's be honest though, recent FF games have had a bunch of gameplay issues aside from the battle system anyway. I don't know how the FF7 remake was since it hasn't released on PC yet (and I have other issues with that game that would probably prevent me buying it until either it's on sale or all parts have been released even if it had) so I haven't played it, but it seems like people were pretty positive about it at least.

For me, the gameplay is indeed one main reason why I like these games. All games in the series have always been a little bit addictive, especially after IV. They all have an exciting gameplay loop that keeps on pushing you forward, and I like that a lot. However, I'm open enough to allow tweaks and changes here and there. In some way I actually expect them to make changes, since the series has always been changing constantly.

I haven't played FFVIIR either, I am going to wait for the complete experience, whenever that may be. No way they wouldn't release a collection of all three games, after all it's SE we're talking about. I think you've said that you like FFX the most, haven't you? Is that like the game that every other FF has to measure itself against in your mind, or?

Final Fantasy's recent propensity for genre hopping has made it next to impossible to get excited for any new entry. Why should I be excited if I don't know what I am going to get? MMO, turn based, or action? It's an identity crisis with the main series, that should have been resolved with different series within the Final Fantasy brand.

Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy Online
Final Fantasy Action

If I wanted to play an action rpg, there are other game series and developers I'd rely on for that. It's like if Civilization VII was suddenly an RTS. Why would I want that? What I want from Final Fantasy is a turn based system with some new twist and creative character building that the series is known for.

As far as I'm concerned, this game isn't Final Fantasy. Neither was XI, XIV, or XV. This is not to say they are bad games, and they are clearly of the Final Fantasy brand. But are they a part of the "main" series? Is the "main" series dead? Possibly. I will mourn and move on. I'll probably buy XVI when it's in the bargain bin. Action rpgs really aren't my thing, but if it gets good reviews, I'll give it a look.

Well ff15 was a dissapointment, story wise, so don't have high hopes for this one.