By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Anyone else felt underwhelmed with the FF XVI reveal?

Eric2048 said:
Wyrdness said:
On the battle system of FF for me personally the problem wasn't it being action based the problem was the execution it was an odd action automated system which didn't know what it wanted to be or what the main point of depth was the game would have been better off sticking with the KH like system it started off with.

I don't mind controlling one character as long as you can switch to others like in VIIR, the trailer of XVI does show another character in combat with you if you look closely the's another knight fighting with the main character in a few seconds of footage so I'm sure the will be a party system.

That was a cutscene. In the gameplay segments we see there is never another character fighting alongside the protagonist.

It was gameplay watch the trailer again I took these screenshots.

As you can see the is another character with you in this part also fighting, this was a gameplay segment if you go back and watch it.

Last edited by Wyrdness - on 20 September 2020

Around the Network
Immersiveunreality said:

What tells you it's a lot different,and why everything darker is suddenly game of thrones ?( Final fantasy was dark way before the existence of the song of ice and fire books,it's like saying the Manga Berserk has Dark souls vibes.)

People are assuming too much about the gameplay already

Sure, I havent better comparison simply.

Gameplay? Perhaps an actionRPG with a lot of DMC mechanics. And this is something I dont wanna. I have DMC for DMC battle system.

KingofTrolls said:
Immersiveunreality said:

What tells you it's a lot different,and why everything darker is suddenly game of thrones ?( Final fantasy was dark way before the existence of the song of ice and fire books,it's like saying the Manga Berserk has Dark souls vibes.)

People are assuming too much about the gameplay already

Sure, I havent better comparison simply.

Gameplay? Perhaps an actionRPG with a lot of DMC mechanics. And this is something I dont wanna. I have DMC for DMC battle system.

If you see FF7 remake without the hud you could also say it's like DMC, we just do not know yet.

And i must say that i will not mind if it is as long as it's fun, imo it is not unlike Final fantasy to change itself in this way,if Dragon quest would do it yeah but not Final fantasy.

FF16 was incredibly impressive when you realise it was all gameplay or in game models. Look at FF15 and FF7 in game models and you will see why.

It gets better every time I watch it. I trust Yoshi-P but still on the fence about Hiroshi Takai, but I'm getting some good FFXII/XIV vibes

Around the Network

Having watched it again in 4k it has grown a bit on me I just hope it's not another 4-5 year wait until release.

Wyrdness said:
Eric2048 said:
Wyrdness said:
On the battle system of FF for me personally the problem wasn't it being action based the problem was the execution it was an odd action automated system which didn't know what it wanted to be or what the main point of depth was the game would have been better off sticking with the KH like system it started off with.

I don't mind controlling one character as long as you can switch to others like in VIIR, the trailer of XVI does show another character in combat with you if you look closely the's another knight fighting with the main character in a few seconds of footage so I'm sure the will be a party system.

That was a cutscene. In the gameplay segments we see there is never another character fighting alongside the protagonist.

It was gameplay watch the trailer again I took these screenshots.

As you can see the is another character with you in this part also fighting, this was a gameplay segment if you go back and watch it.

And how do we know that's an actual party member and not some random guest npc that joins you for one fight?

What i find strange is that we have to look so deep into one video for a character shown for less than 2 seconds in order to discern whether or not there are party members when in previous gameplay reveals they made it blatantly obvious that you had party members.

I guess we'll know for sure when we see more of the game but i'm not really convinced

The Fury said:
Xxain said:

Have you heard of Bravely Default? It has taken classic Final Fantasy and wrapped it up in new IP,  that is new in name only. You should pick it up if you havent.

I have noticed that there is a lot of bitching about the little bits of battle system we saw, based off that it reminds you of XV, without considering the idea that the lead combat designer for the DMC games is charge of the battle system. Square Enix understands that some did not like the action based battle system of XV and are putting somebody more knowledgeable in the field in charge. Is there a reason that there is a lack of consideration for that .... or is it just a cover for " Its not turn based"?

I have heard of Bravely Default, I'm sure it's great, it's not Final Fantasy though. I'm a fan of Final Fantasy.

Oh we have considered that which is why many people here are comparing it to DMC, the question isn't how he added action combat style to FFXVI, I've sure he has done a great job. It's why SquEnix has given it an action based combat system and not what FF is known for, the ATB (turn based).

No no. Bravely Default IS Final Fantasy: enemies, crystals, summons, jobs, gear, ext. SE even list it as a branch of Final Fantasy on their reports.

Final Fantasy has not been turn based in over a decade, and a mainline Final Fantasy will never be again. Square Enix had already made the choice to move FF to action based RPG with XV and the DMC guy is there to enhance it. He's not the reason.  

Eric2048 said:

And how do we know that's an actual party member and not some random guest npc that joins you for one fight?

What i find strange is that we have to look so deep into one video for a character shown for less than 2 seconds in order to discern whether or not there are party members when in previous gameplay reveals they made it blatantly obvious that you had party members.

I guess we'll know for sure when we see more of the game but i'm not really convinced

Your response implied the was never any point in the trailer where in gameplay the's another character alongside the main what I showed you highlights that it was incorrect, outside of the MMO's the is yet to be a mainline FF game with out party members to further add to this the original trailer for FFXIII back in 2006 had no other character in it other than Lightning (link below) which highlights no other character being shown or focused on doesn't mean no party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7uwtFpC4iI&ab_channel=EternalGutterOfDoom

I have my gripes with SE but even then I don't see them going through the effort of making guest npcs for a few fights and not bother with a party of some sort that screen shows us that the framework for other characters being with the player character is there, even with the issues people have with FFXV and to a lesser extent VIIR they already know how to have a party in a more action based setting

Stop bringing up Final Fantasy 7 Remake. That battle system was designed by Business Division 1 (The old guard) and that battle system will most likely be used by THEM going forward; it has no bearing on what another team decides to do. That is what I like about Final Fantasy, every team has a chance to build THEIR Final Fantasy. In regards to team members, there is nothing in trailer that states there will be none. Hell, there is more evidence in the trailer that there WILL be members.

Not to mention again...... THE DMC GUY IS BEHIND THE BATTLE SYSTEM! YOU WHAT OTHER GAME HE DID? DRAGON'S DOGMA..... WHICH HAD PARTY MEMBERS IN AN ACTION BASED RPG