By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Anyone else felt underwhelmed with the FF XVI reveal?

Ask me when was the last time I WASN'T underwhelmed by a new mainline FF game.

This franchise is so far past it's peak that it's honestly baffling it continues to hold as much popularity as it does.

Around the Network
vivster said:
kirby007 said:

its called dragon quest

DQ isn't whimsical, it's tragic and hardcore.

FFIX, FFX and FFXIII are whimsical.

I don't think we are ever going to get that from mainline FF ever again.  Only the offshoots like CC and others.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

It's Final Fantasy, so obviously I'm interested. That said, the trailer didn't convince me much. I didn't like the cutting, didn't like the action, and didn't like the amount of action showcased instead of e.g. environments. Obviously cutting won't be a problem in the actual game, and there ought to be enough interesting environments as well in the game. Action will probably similar to XV: passable but not that great. I also didn't like the setting or the darkness of the trailer. I'm not a fan of medieval stuff, but I can probably live with it. At least it's better than having at least a semi-modern setting in every game in the series. I also imagine the whole game won't be as dark as the trailer.

So yeah, not a great reveal in my opinion, but like I said: It's Final Fantasy, so I'll definitely keep an eye out anyway.

Last edited by Zkuq - on 17 September 2020

Immersiveunreality said:

And do we represent on this site how the playerbase of final fantasy thinks, i think not?

I think so, while our own tastes are probably a lot more general than say someone who graces a dedicated FF board, we have enough discussion to know simply that the player base is divided. I mean based on this thread alone, we are the player base just a smaller subset of it. There is no general consensus in any game, but most at least stay within certain criteria for their next game even if their add or change certain aspects.

I'd say no other series in the industry has changed as much as Final Fantasy has in terms of gameplay since the 90s and early 2000s. Can you imagine saying to a person who is a fan of FF and just played FF9 followed by X in 2002 telling them in the future FF games will have gameplay like the recently released Devil May Cry? They'd probably look at you funny.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
Immersiveunreality said:

And do we represent on this site how the playerbase of final fantasy thinks, i think not?

I think so, while our own tastes are probably a lot more general than say someone who graces a dedicated FF board, we have enough discussion to know simply that the player base is divided. I mean based on this thread alone, we are the player base just a smaller subset of it. There is no general consensus in any game, but most at least stay within certain criteria for their next game even if their add or change certain aspects.

I'd say no other series in the industry has changed as much as Final Fantasy has in terms of gameplay since the 90s and early 2000s. Can you imagine saying to a person who is a fan of FF and just played FF9 followed by X in 2002 telling them in the future FF games will have gameplay like the recently released Devil May Cry? They'd probably look at you funny.

From what I've read, it feels like there's more optimism/positivity regarding this game in other sites with a lot more users, such as Resetera, than in this site (it's obvious that people in this site prefer the Nomura-style FFs). Though it definitely can't be denied that the fan base is divided.

Last edited by Link_Nines.XBC - on 17 September 2020

Around the Network

It looked like an expansion to ff14 for me.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Man , the more i think about this the more i get depressed about it. I was excited when we had rumours yoshida was doing work in a new FF mais game but i had some fears and almost any of them seem to come true.

Game looks too Much like ff14, i played it and i likes it but all mais characters There are bland as fuck, art direction for character design always seem bland as fuck . Every character in the trailer looks bland, cloths , weapons , hair , they look like some random NPCs from ff14.

Scenario is bland too, environments are super bland and empty like ff15 but in a Boring medieval setting...
People wanted medieval but want ff9, ff4, ff5 , mediaval fantasy not fucking medieval ivalice Boring european setting in a final fantasy game...

I fear too There Will BE no party, its just this bland Boring NPC from FF 14 as main character and you play with just him.

Story Will probably BE amazing and combat too this is not What i wanted but in the end it might BE a good game but a bad final fantasy. I pray to God this is early early footage and by some miracle they Change all the art Direction 😓

For all the Nomura haters out There... Is this type of art Direction you wanted? Nomura is a fucking God compared with the art Style in this.

Thank God we have ff7 remake part 2.

What makes you so sure there wont be changes to ff7 r2? I would not be surprised if they enhance the combat but just leave the atb bar.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

I think the shiva summon is also the tall girl that walks away when that one guy yells at her that she pledged her sword,same face,same build and it would explain how they talk about shiva in the beginning of trailer .( like she is just looking normal at that time walking amongst them)

It also looks like the kid is phoenix(i think it's his dad that got killed),and one of the bad guys they're fighting there goes full Ifrit.

So seems like humans transforming in summons might be a thing in this game.

Last edited by Immersiveunreality - on 18 September 2020

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
eva01beserk said:

What makes you so sure there wont be changes to ff7 r2? I would not be surprised if they enhance the combat but just leave the atb bar.

Combat was already very good , they need a jump button or make aerial combat good and its perfect.

What other chances you talking about. I AM sure they Will improve the already great game that was remake. CCG

I for one dint like the combat in 7R. Having normal atacks do almost no damage is a massive turnoff for me. For the the best change they could make is that normal attacks can actually kill a monster. Have regualr combatt like any other action rpg, keep the atb bar and that would be perfect. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Hiku said:
FF XV vibes? Not FF XIV?
Feels like a sequel to that series. MMORPG.

It even has the same theme music (XIV).