By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Anyone else felt underwhelmed with the FF XVI reveal?

Xxain said:
Stop bringing up Final Fantasy 7 Remake. That battle system was designed by Business Division 1 (The old guard) and that battle system will most likely be used by THEM going forward; it has no bearing on what another team decides to do. That is what I like about Final Fantasy, every team has a chance to build THEIR Final Fantasy. In regards to team members, there is nothing in trailer that states there will be none. Hell, there is more evidence in the trailer that there WILL be members.

Not to mention again...... THE DMC GUY IS BEHIND THE BATTLE SYSTEM! YOU WHAT OTHER GAME HE DID? DRAGON'S DOGMA..... WHICH HAD PARTY MEMBERS IN AN ACTION BASED RPG

We'll bring up what want thank you and bringing in a battle director doesn't mean he's not taking what's there already and putting his own spin on it.

Around the Network
Xxain said:
Stop bringing up Final Fantasy 7 Remake. That battle system was designed by Business Division 1 (The old guard) and that battle system will most likely be used by THEM going forward; it has no bearing on what another team decides to do. That is what I like about Final Fantasy, every team has a chance to build THEIR Final Fantasy. In regards to team members, there is nothing in trailer that states there will be none. Hell, there is more evidence in the trailer that there WILL be members.

Not to mention again...... THE DMC GUY IS BEHIND THE BATTLE SYSTEM! YOU WHAT OTHER GAME HE DID? DRAGON'S DOGMA..... WHICH HAD PARTY MEMBERS IN AN ACTION BASED RPG

oh how do i miss that battle system,would be so glad if it's like Dragon's Dogma.

As someone who can’t play it day 1, I was underwhelmed by default.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Is it just me of anyone replaying the trailer purely for the music. FF always delivering with the orchestral pieces.

Last edited by hinch - on 20 September 2020

hinch said:

Is it just me of anyone replaying the trailer purely for the music. FF always delivering with the orchestral pieces.

And the voiceacting !

Around the Network
Immersiveunreality said:

And the voiceacting !

As long as it doesn't have that weird shock sigh thing FF7R has, all characters did it. So off putting. You compare the voice acting in that to FF12 and it's night and day.

Hmm, pie.

Yeah the voiceacting is outstanding. This is the first FF with english VO that's actually bearable to me.

I usually always try Japanese option where I can usually as the english dub is usually terrible but that has it quirks. This is like the reverse, were the English actually voices is better and more well suited than the Japanese VO. The guy doing Joshua (the MC) sounds brilliant, and if the rest is like this its a whole load of yep!

Fei-Hung said:
Nautilus said:
Plus there is the fact that this feels very Game of Thrones inspired... Im not against blood or characters dying, but that kind of direction is not what I want for FF.

Does that mean you disliked FF7? I mean it did the whole omg how and why TLOU did way before the TLOU with serval characters and also before Got. 

I honestly didn't understand what you meant. Your phrase wasn't really well written.

But I'll reply to what I think you mean: The deaths that do happen in FF 7 are more poetic. People die there not for the sake of dying, but they have meaning to it, they build up to it. And all that with few drops of blood. FF XVI seems(and I really want to emphasize that it seems) that its going more for the schock factor that Game of Thrones is known for in its kills. So yeah, it seems like very Game of Thrones inspired, but I guess we will see.

And for the record: Yes, I hated the direction Naughty Dog went with TLOU 2, with the constant killing of characters as if they were flies, with no weight(outside of 1 or 2) behind those kills. One of the many things that turned me off on the game.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Nautilus said:
Fei-Hung said:

Does that mean you disliked FF7? I mean it did the whole omg how and why TLOU did way before the TLOU with serval characters and also before Got. 

I honestly didn't understand what you meant. Your phrase wasn't really well written.

But I'll reply to what I think you mean: The deaths that do happen in FF 7 are more poetic. People die there not for the sake of dying, but they have meaning to it, they build up to it. And all that with few drops of blood. FF XVI seems(and I really want to emphasize that it seems) that its going more for the schock factor that Game of Thrones is known for in its kills. So yeah, it seems like very Game of Thrones inspired, but I guess we will see.

And for the record: Yes, I hated the direction Naughty Dog went with TLOU 2, with the constant killing of characters as if they were flies, with no weight(outside of 1 or 2) behind those kills. One of the many things that turned me off on the game.

Aah, that makes sense. To be honest the only FF I played is Remake, and as you said the deaths felt organic and their story really well told. Hopefully, it will be less GoT inspired and more FF inspired.

It's a bit early but I like the signals I'm picking up from the story and presentation. Kinda wish we got something closer to 7Rs battle system but maybe this is a sign that SE will have a system as the basis for future remakes? I can see VIII and VI getting remade with 7s new system.

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi