By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bloomberg: Multiple Devs Saying Nintendo Asking For 4K Switch Games

Hiku said:

If this would be through DLSS, I'm guessing they'd be asking some devs to implement some higher quality assets in their games?
Not sure how that technique works.

Well, I would guess that 4K footage of a game is needed to the training of the DLSS network for reconstructing 4k frames from that game.

Well, not exactly needed, but would improve the image quality for specific content.

I mean, if you train the network with a specific art-style footage, the reconstruction will tend to recreate this style. You could have a network trained in general images, but sometimes it would recreate non intended content. A cell-shaded game could lose its cell-shaddy details if reconstructed by a network trained with realistic content, for instance.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
If the Series S can't run games at native 4K why would a Switch 2 be able to?
Only if it's straight-up 1080p upscalling, which the system would do, not the devs.

Nintendo right now is the only console manufacturer that have access to the most advanced AI upscaling technology (DLSS).

Fun fact, the switch is also on arm. They hit the jackpot in terms of where general computing is going. Not sure if it’s pure coincidence or Nintendo really thought years a head. 

They will reap all the benefits for their next console.

jonathanalis said:
Hiku said:

If this would be through DLSS, I'm guessing they'd be asking some devs to implement some higher quality assets in their games?
Not sure how that technique works.

Well, I would guess that 4K footage of a game is needed to the training of the DLSS network for reconstructing 4k frames from that game.

Well, not exactly needed, but would improve the image quality for specific content.

I mean, if you train the network with a specific art-style footage, the reconstruction will tend to recreate this style. You could have a network trained in general images, but sometimes it would recreate non intended content. A cell-shaded game could lose its cell-shaddy details if reconstructed by a network trained with realistic content, for instance.

16K source image.

https://youtu.be/E98hC9e__Xs

@14:37

Roma said:
they will call it Switch Home as it won't be swichable like the lite but stationery. That's my prediction

Yes.. with same power as the future switch 2

BlackBeauty said:

Nintendo right now is the only console manufacturer that have access to the most advanced AI upscaling technology (DLSS).

All to often I see this absolutely false information propagated.

AMD has a technology called "Radeon Image Sharpening" that Microsoft and Sony can tap into.

There is also another technology Microsoft has at it's disposal known as "DirectML".
https://www.anandtech.com/show/12549/microsoft-windows-machine-learning-for-gaming

We also have the other image reconstruction features like checkerboard and temporal reconstruction that can absolutely be leveraged by developers.

The more you know.

BlackBeauty said:

Fun fact, the switch is also on arm. They hit the jackpot in terms of where general computing is going. Not sure if it’s pure coincidence or Nintendo really thought years a head. 

It's no secret that ARM is in a ton of devices, but if you want any serious amounts of CPU compute... Then you cannot look past x86.
x86 is where the best performance in the entire industry is and will continue to be.

Either way, the Switch isn't the first ARM powered Nintendo device and it will not be the last, ARM is good for mobile, so what you gain in battery life and portability you do loose in total performance.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

I honestly don't care, my TV can't even display a proper 1080p. I'm more interested to know how it will run or not more demanding games

Like, running Overwatch at 60 FPS would finally make me purchase it 

Pemalite said:
BlackBeauty said:

AMD has a technology called "Radeon Image Sharpening" that Microsoft and Sony can tap into.

There is also another technology Microsoft has at it's disposal known as "DirectML".
https://www.anandtech.com/show/12549/microsoft-windows-machine-learning-for-gaming

We also have the other image reconstruction features like checkerboard and temporal reconstruction that can absolutely be leveraged by developers.

The more you know.

BlackBeauty said:

It's no secret that ARM is in a ton of devices, but if you want any serious amounts of CPU compute... Then you cannot look past x86.
x86 is where the best performance in the entire industry is and will continue to be.

Either way, the Switch isn't the first ARM powered Nintendo device and it will not be the last, ARM is good for mobile, so what you gain in battery life and portability you do loose in total performance.

Why you lie like that tho? You can’t be serious and sit there and say that those even come close to DLSS 2.0.

Not only that Microsoft Direct ML is worse and actually require more power to run whereas DLSS free up performance. There’s nothing in the works from amd that can do the same.

As for arm. The most most powerful super computers/server farm on the planet runs on arm. Most already the made the switch. It’s not just “mobile”. Arm processors are just way more efficient. Quite literally the future of computing.

And The switch is a console. That is actually a hint to where arm is going. It’s NOT about Nintendo in “mobile” or arm in “mobile”. It’s about arm closing the power gap FAST in commercial use/computing. 

Last edited by BlackBeauty - on 10 September 2020

BlackBeauty said:
Pemalite said:

The more you know.

Why you lie like that tho? You can’t be serious and sit there and say that those even come close to DLSS 2.0.

Not only that Microsoft Direct ML is worse and actually require more power to run whereas DLSS free up performance. There’s nothing in the works from amd that can do the same.

As for arm. The most most powerful super computers/server farm on the planet runs on arm. Most already the made the switch. It’s not just “mobile”. Arm processors are just way more efficient. Quite literally the future of computing.

And The switch is a console. That actually should hint you where arm is going but you seem to ignore that too. It’s NOT about Nintendo in “mobile” or arm in “mobile”. It’s about arm closing the power gap FAST in commercial use/computing. 

Yeah he's making no sense, image sharpening takes up power while DLSS actually frees it up, comparativly, and also literally every graphics card has shapening tools, including nvidia. DLSS is a whole different ball game, that worked like crap early on but not its maturing, especially with the help of the speciallzed tensor cores.

and lol, outside of servers, apple's devices run on arm, albiet heavily customized, and the ipad pro's caught up to the xbox one S TWO whole YEARS ago in graphics performance, and apple literally JUSt announced that they are going to transition to thier own ARM based chips for macs. sure the price point is different but the point still stands, and with apple applyign boosters to ARM, the power disparity is getting lower fast and it will always have an advantage in power consumption.

Yeah, it's not that Nvidia is the only one with imsge reconstruction technology, but they're the only ones to make it scale so well that HD can pass 4k and SD can pass as HD. Tensor cores seem to be a big part of making this a cheap endeavour & freeing up performance.

Otter said:
Yeah, it's not that Nvidia is the only one with imsge reconstruction technology, but they're the only ones to make it scale so well that HD can pass 4k and SD can pass as HD. Tensor cores seem to be a big part of making this a cheap endeavour & freeing up performance.

TL:DR nintendo can utilize this new tech in thier next system whenther its a switch 2 or switch pro, while xbox and sony literally CAN'T beacause they use AMD.

Nvidia realized they've become too complacient and is coming after AMD HARD RN... with thier new 3000 series cards. 2080 TI performance with a 3070, and Double that on a 3080 TI, at 450/650?!(the 2080 TI was 1200)