By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bloomberg: Multiple Devs Saying Nintendo Asking For 4K Switch Games

IcaroRibeiro said:
Switch successor (I call it Switch 2) won't be released before 7 years in life of current standard Switch

And I, personally, think it will be released either on christmas on 2024 or early 2025.

Switch new model (I call it Switch 1.5) is coming early next year

It's already 3 years (maybe even 4 years) from Switch 1.5 to Switch 2. It's enough time, it's not like Switch 2 will suffer from huge demand for the Switch 1.5

People who buy a console late (half of the console lifecycles) won't buy Switch 2 on release either. They will wait to buy Switch 2 as well

There is also a point, Switch 1.5 and Switch 1 catalog will be 99% the same. It's just 1.5 will have better graphics and maybe more stable framerates, so late games will run more smoothly on 1.5, I also think some PS4/Xbox ports that will come from gargabe (Outer Worlds) to something more decent

Switch 2 games will be another thing entirely. Their games won't run on Switch 1, and probably won't play on Switch 1.5 either. I don't see how 1.5 released almost 4 years before and with much lower specs can affect Switch 2

Exactly. This is just another Switch model. I don't get why people are getting all crazy with ideas that this is a whole new system and its gonna play different games or its basically a Switch 2 or whatever other nonsense. It's just gonna beef up the performance of the same games so you get higher res and higher framerate where needed. It's nothing that would compete with Switch 2 or stop people from buying next gen several years later. The only exclusive games might come from this rumored new interactivity the next model is supposed to have, kinda like how there were like 5 games that were exclusive to DSi because they required the cameras. The fact that it supposedly can output higher resolutions doesn't mean anything for exclusive games. People are acting like Nintendo has never released updated portable systems before. They literally do this every single generation.

Probably the nicest thing that you'll get from owning this upgraded model is if you buy PS4/XB1 ports on Switch that have low resolution or have some framerate slowdown, they should look crisper and run smoother on the the upgraded Switch in comparison to the other two models.

The kind of people that don't have a Switch yet and are gonna buy this upgraded model probably aren't gonna get a Switch 2 in its first few years anyway. And the kind of people who already have a Switch and are gonna upgrade to this new model when it comes out are the kind of people that will still buy a Switch 2 early on because they clearly want to have the latest and greatest thing available and have the money to spend on it.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
lol Id be surprised if Switch 2 is 4K ready tbh.

I see Switch 2 (docked) being able to nail all games at 1080p 60 FPS. 1440p 30 FPS or 1440p 60 FPS could be possible, but way less common. 4K is almost completely out of the question, unless Nintendo has a really efficient chip set. Or they're willing to have a very expensive product. I do think apps like YouTube, Hulu, and anything else like that will support streaming in 4K in docked mode. And I think the tablet screen will be 1080p.

Speaking of resolution, Sony and Microsoft brag that 8K resolution is supported for their upcoming consoles. But let's be real, virtually nothing will use it or be able to run it. They'd be lucky to have streaming services supporting 8K in 3-5 years.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 125 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million)

PS5: 105 million Xbox Series S/X: 60 million

PS4: 122 mil (was 100 then 130 million) Xbox One: 50 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Wman1996 said:
KLXVER said:
lol Id be surprised if Switch 2 is 4K ready tbh.

I see Switch 2 (docked) being able to nail all games at 1080p 60 FPS. 1440p 30 FPS or 1440p 60 FPS could be possible, but way less common. 4K is almost completely out of the question, unless Nintendo has a really efficient chip set. Or they're willing to have a very expensive product. I do think apps like YouTube, Hulu, and anything else like that will support streaming in 4K in docked mode. And I think the tablet screen will be 1080p.

Speaking of resolution, Sony and Microsoft brag that 8K resolution is supported for their upcoming consoles. But let's be real, virtually nothing will use it or be able to run it. They'd be lucky to have streaming services supporting 8K in 3-5 years.

Well with DLSS apparently this new model will already have 4k. Maybe like 5% of people will care about a difference between DLSS 4k and native 4k. So if upgraded Switch has 4k then obviously a vastly more powerful Switch 2 will have 4k. I expect Switch 2 games built for the system will run 4k, and then ports of PS5/XBSeries games will run at like 1080p on Switch 2, using that drop from 4k/90fps or whatever absurd thing those other systems target down to a perfectly fine 1080p/30fps in order to be able to do ports better than Switch can without all the work to downgrade them. 4k (using DLSS) should be the standard for games built specifically for Switch 2.

Slownenberg said:
I think 4k is smart from a marketing perspective. With the new 4k next gen systems coming out, if Nintendo can say hey we too have 4k on the Switch at $300 with a huge library of games already available, you can get 4k on the hottest system with way more games and cheaper than the other 4k systems.

I think whatever other upgrades it has will be bigger sellers than just the fact that it does 4k, but for some graphic-focused people it might help them finally make the leap to Switch, and for current Switch owners that have a 4k TV it'll add that little bit extra incentive to upgrade so you'll get more people double dipping on the Switch, and it'll just be good marketing to say Switch has 4k just like these expensive new systems.

That's definitely true, most people who buy gaming systems are far more casual than we are and don't really pay attention to gaming or specs like us. Once they see the word "4K" they aren't thinking about whether games will only be upscaled to 4K or fully rendered in 4K cause they don't know those two things even exist or are entirely different from each other when it comes to graphical capabilities. Once they see the words "4K Switch" they'll get excited that they could get the hottest system at 4K for potentially only 300$. 4K is a big marketing word now even if games on Switch won't even render games even close to 4K.

Make beefier hardware and maybe devs can accommodate you

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.