By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bloomberg: Multiple Devs Saying Nintendo Asking For 4K Switch Games

they will call it Switch Home as it won't be swichable like the lite but stationery. That's my prediction

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Around the Network

Is it possible to have Tensor cores externally?

A switch with the new architecture and some extra Tensor cores in the dock.

So hypothetically if it launches March 2021, that's 4 years into Switch life, and it would be the flag ship device for two years until 2023 when Switch 2 comes?

I have mixed feelings. I don't want Switch 2 sales to be diminished because of buyer fatigue at a bunch of people only having bought a Switch Pro 2 years (or less) prior to that.

Dulfite said:
So hypothetically if it launches March 2021, that's 4 years into Switch life, and it would be the flag ship device for two years until 2023 when Switch 2 comes?

I have mixed feelings. I don't want Switch 2 sales to be diminished because of buyer fatigue at a bunch of people only having bought a Switch Pro 2 years (or less) prior to that.

Nintendo can take notes from next gen and adjust accordingly. 

Yes very trustworthy.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Nintendo best be getting them tensor cores for DLSS or that ainnnnnnt happening.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Hiku said:

If this would be through DLSS, I'm guessing they'd be asking some devs to implement some higher quality assets in their games?
Not sure how that technique works.

They'd need higher quality assets. The AI is trained using the native res images of the game and that training data is inputted into the game/driver. So the AI can use the missing information to know what to reproduce. 

Nintendo would not only have to ask devs to use 4K assets or at least make a version that is 4k ready, and have tensor cores to process that to make DLSS possible.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Dulfite said:

Buyer fatigue didn't stop the Switch when the New 3DS came out in February 2015, just 2 years before. The type of people who wait for a hardware revision/upgrade in Year 4 onwards to jump onboard aren't the same type of people who buy the system at launch. And the people who do upgrade are the type of consumers who have no problems spending the money on new hardware in the first place. Assuming this is true, a Switch Pro will have very little effect on Switch 2 sales. Do you see PS4 Pro or Xbox One X sales diminishing PS5 or XSX sales? 

Regardless, I don't think the Switch 2 will launch until 2024. Holiday 2023 at the earliest. The 3DS got 6 years and the Switch is blowing it out of the water and Furukawa has stated that it wants to give the Switch a longer cycle than usual.

So I think the Switch 2 is still a long ways off.

Last edited by PAOerfulone - on 09 September 2020

Soundwave said:
BraLoD said:
If the Series S can't run games at native 4K why would a Switch 2 be able to?
Only if it's straight-up 1080p upscalling, which the system would do, not the devs.

Nvidia DLSS could do it because you only need to hit 900p-1080p to get 4K. So if Nvidia is giving them a chip with Tensor cores, there's your answer right there. 

Also running Mario Kart 8 (a game that already runs at 1080p on the current Switch) at 4K is much, much different from running say ... a next-gen game at 4K. 

You can't just look at 4K as one standard metric. 

You don't *have* to have Tensor cores to do DLSS. You can perform the necessary calculations on the CUDA cores.

Bofferbrauer2 said:

But they might include bigger textures or textures with a higher resolution to not make the game look too blurry after upscaling. DLSS can only do so much, if the texture is already blurry, it won't be able to sharpen that one beyond the blurryness that it originally had.

As a side effect, this would most probably also mean an extension of the RAM, which will probably go from 4 to 8 GiB. And hopefully a bigger storage while we're at it. 128 GB shouldn't be more expensive now than the 32GB were at the launch of the Switch.

DLSS is A.I upscaling, it does perform a few "tricks" so that shit textures look, well. Less shit. So yes, it will clean up blurry textures.

It's not just taking a 720P game and forcing it to run at 4k, there is so much more to it.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Dulfite said:

Such a weird thought. Do you think that happened with the New 3DS XL?