By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bloomberg: Multiple Devs Saying Nintendo Asking For 4K Switch Games

Slownenberg said:
I'm not sure why some people are talking about a Switch 2. This is a new model of the Switch, what we have all been expecting.
And it isn't 4k native that is being reported. It's DLSS 2.0 upscaling to 4k without much performance hit.

Personally I have zero interest in 4k so I'm much more interested in what other upgrades this premium Switch model will have. Give me a larger screen, a lot more disk space, increased performance for higher res and framerate for games that are low on those things, more battery life, and bluetooth and I'd consider eventually getting this for $300.

Will be interesting if they announce price cuts for the current models alongside the launch of the new model, or if it's gonna be like $350. To me it seems like they shouldn't go above the $300 price tag, cuz I mean four years in to a system's life cycle you should be bringing out models that actually cost more than it did at launch(!), and should drop at least the original model to $250 to make room for the premium model at $300. The Lite is so low already they might not even need to drop it when this new model launches.

I'm a big fan of price shifting.

Move Switch 1 and Lite down, and have Switch 2 at the original Switch's price or slightly higher - as people understand inflation - so if the original Switch is 300 USD, make Switch-2 319 USD. Put the original Switch down to 279 USD, and Switch Lite to 229 USD. That way, they've dropped enough to spark interest, but also not so much that there's no room for future price drops on the older economy models. Also, I like the Idea of Switch 2 TV for 239.

I like the Switch 2/4K NOT because of the visual upgrade, but because the whole notion of "4K" to people represents the idea of a whole new crop of games that wouldn't be on the first-gen. Now that Switch is an established platform, what will advance the next generation forward is the quality of the gaming software. The dream that "4K" puts in the head of consumers represents Switch 1 but with even more and better games, rather than simply the next versions of the same stuff we already have. It's kind of like the dream of the "Ultra 64" when we imagined it would have more and better games... although the reality was anything but. But many people were ULTRA hyped for it, before they understood the reality of it... it's funny now, but this wasn't a rare scene:

Last edited by Jumpin - on 09 September 2020

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Upscaling wouldn't really require conferring with developers, that's just an automatic process.

But they might include bigger textures or textures with a higher resolution to not make the game look too blurry after upscaling. DLSS can only do so much, if the texture is already blurry, it won't be able to sharpen that one beyond the blurryness that it originally had.

As a side effect, this would most probably also mean an extension of the RAM, which will probably go from 4 to 8 GiB. And hopefully a bigger storage while we're at it. 128 GB shouldn't be more expensive now than the 32GB were at the launch of the Switch.

A new Switch model will surely "only" upscale games to 4K and not render it natively. I'm fine with that, but I also hope it can play games like BOTW with 60fps.

Time for the tv-only switch, 4k res and maybe an additional way to play (vr).

Would make so much sense marketwise

I think 4k is smart from a marketing perspective. With the new 4k next gen systems coming out, if Nintendo can say hey we too have 4k on the Switch at $300 with a huge library of games already available, you can get 4k on the hottest system with way more games and cheaper than the other 4k systems.

I think whatever other upgrades it has will be bigger sellers than just the fact that it does 4k, but for some graphic-focused people it might help them finally make the leap to Switch, and for current Switch owners that have a 4k TV it'll add that little bit extra incentive to upgrade so you'll get more people double dipping on the Switch, and it'll just be good marketing to say Switch has 4k just like these expensive new systems.

Around the Network
PAOerfulone said:
What exactly does this article mean by '4K Ready'?

Is this a Switch Pro model capable of native 4K level resolution or is it just upscaling the image to 4K?
Either way, this just adds more fuel to the fire that some type of new Switch hardware is on the way.

I think it mostly has to do with making sure that the textures would look good together when running a game at 4k resolutions.

Im assuming that DLSS will be part of what makes 4k possible on the New Switch and of coarse we are looking at a new chip and more ram.

freebs2 said:

Time for the tv-only switch, 4k res and maybe an additional way to play (vr).

Would make so much sense marketwise

They should eventually make a Switch "Home". I could see it like say in 2023 towards the end of Switch's lifecycle. Like a $200 4k Switch Home to get people who weren't interested in paying more for portability but want access to Switch's incredible library of games. That'd keep the Switch going stronger than Nintendo systems normally are when they are replaced. By then they could have a lineup like: $150 Lite, $200 Home, $250 Premium, with the OG Switch being no longer made in favor of the premium model.

Random_Matt said:
Three years, that was quick for a replacement.

Actually, by Spring 2021, the Switch will be 4 years old.  Besides, are we talking about a replacement, or a mid-gen upgrade/refresh?  The PS4 launched in November 2013 and the PS4 Pro launched November 2016.  That's exactly 3 years.

Y'all saying switch 2 while the same article talks about raising production to 30 million LMAO. Unless they want to build an ecosystem and have the Switch games be compatible, but even then I think it's too early for a totally new gen like they really would lose money at this point.

Next year will have a revision and a price cut, so I do expect another huge year for Nintendo.

xMetroid said:
Y'all saying switch 2 while the same article talks about raising production to 30 million LMAO. Unless they want to build an ecosystem and have the Switch games be compatible, but even then I think it's too early for a totally new gen like they really would lose money at this point.

Next year will have a revision and a price cut, so I do expect another huge year for Nintendo.

Definetely i don't see them not continuing to sell the original Switch. Nintendo likes to have a super cheap option available at all times and will continue the old line of Switch's for some time. Especially the handheld on version.