By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Q1 FY2020 (April-June) Results - PS4: 1.9m (LTD: 112.1m) | Best Quarter ever for PlayStation

Good numbers

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
Hardware numbers are abismal tho.
Seems like PS4 won't have legs like the PS3 didn't.
With the PS4 Pro the price actually didn't go down a cent this gen.
Seems like PS legs are a thing of the past now, keeping prices higher is what they want.

Abysmal is a bit strong, I mean we've been seeing its weekly sales for a while now so no shock lol. Japan is abysmal. 

But for sure profit over hardware sales, although approaching the PS5 we can assume they will use PS4 to price penetrate the market and bring people in their services ecosystem. I expect a dramatic price cut soon. 

My biggest take away from this, and looking at the trend over the past 3 years is....

Physical media is DEAD.

In another three years, I expect we would find that less than 20% still buy physical. Now its making more and more sense why sony is making a digital-only PS5.

trunkswd said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Well it seems people must be getting their numbers from different places. I used the June 27 comparison chart and that has the PS4 at 111,94 mil as of June 27:

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/444321/switch-vs-ps4-vs-xbox-one-sales-comparison-charts-through-june-27-2020/

I said in my post 400k since I used that number as is. If you take the average between this and July 4 (112,14 by the comparison chart) you get 112-ish, so that's why people are saying 300k.

Since that article was posted there were some minor adjustments to the PS4 figures following NPD June numbers. While we didn't get exact leaks we know hardware revenue was down 17 percent year-on-year. Before the adjustments all three consoles were up year-on-year by a decent amount.Barkley's numbers are right with what we currently have. However, as people have pointed out we are likely a little bit overtracked even with it selling it as it takes time for consoles to ship. 

I'll be doing some minor adjustments to our PS4 figures. Our figures in the Americas and Japan should be close enough, so the adjustments need to be done in Europe and rest of Asia.

I had  a feeling for weeks that the European PS4 numbers were too high to be true. Seems like my feeling was correct in the end.

Intrinsic said:
My biggest take away from this, and looking at the trend over the past 3 years is....

Physical media is DEAD.

In another three years, I expect we would find that less than 20% still buy physical. Now its making more and more sense why sony is making a digital-only PS5.

Keep in mind that the lockdowns certainly helped people to choose digital instead of physical due to lack of alternatives. I'm pretty sure that without the virus the physical sales numbers would be quite a but higher.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
Barkley said:

I made a mistake with my numbers by subtracting the Week Ending July 4th from the July 4th number etc. So I was taking an extra week of sales off. These are the current VGC numbers:

Week Ending July 25th = 112.64m
Week Ending July 18th = 112.48m
Week Ending July 11th = 112.29m
Week Ending July 4th = 112.11m
Week Ending June 27th = 111.92m

Which means the difference between VGC sell-through and Shipped for June 30th is probably around 280-300k. So yeah the PS4 is almost certainly overtracked.

I don't think they were. xD

Well at first glance they looked okay to me. I did some minor adjustments. Not quite done yet. It might take a few hours before it shows up on the main site. 

Well regardless it seems there was some confusion, but I suppose it doesn't matter much now that the numbers are getting changed anyways.

But now that we're on the topic I have a suggestion for the site. It might be hard to do with retroactive effect, but it would be pretty neat if the global weekly chart continued after 2018 with only hardware. It seems like the most practical tool for checking LTD as of a specific week. It also has the UK, Germany and France sections which I think you still track individually? But which are hard to find numbers for anywhere on the site (that I know of).

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

BraLoD said:
Seems like PS legs are a thing of the past now, keeping prices higher is what they want.

Does it matter though? The PS4 would still end up selling well over 125M by the time it's all said and done. The only other console (home) in existence to have come close to those kinda numbers is the PS2. And I don't think PS legs were ever really a thing, that only happened with the PS2, the PS1 didn't have legs. And if you look at it, I think it's obvious why the PS2 continued to sell really well when the PS3 came along. More interestingly though, launch aligned the PS4 is selling faster than the PS2 in the same 6-7yr period. If you want the PS4 to have legs, then just pray the PS5 comes in at $599 and the PS4 is dropped from $299 to $149. 

And right now, Playstation is making more money than the brand has ever made before. 

I think sony's primary and only focus should be to get all those PS4 owners over to the PS5 as quickly as possible. And preferably buying the digital SKU.

Last edited by Intrinsic - on 04 August 2020

Intrinsic said:

Physical media is DEAD.

Its definitely going to be a niche. Even with the music industry being like over decade ahead in terms of this trend, physical CD sales made up 10% US music revenue and almost all big releases still have physical releases. So I imagine gaming being in a similar place at the end of the decade, meaning it at least will still be supported.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Intrinsic said:

Physical media is DEAD.

Keep in mind that the lockdowns certainly helped people to choose digital instead of physical due to lack of alternatives. I'm pretty sure that without the virus the physical sales numbers would be quite a but higher.

That definitely helped, but I see that as the final little push digital sales needed. Here, borrowed from ERA, this tracks quarterly sales since 2016. Between physical and digital sales.

Notice how there has been a steady increase in every single quarter of digital sales. The only anomalies are Q3 (holiday) and Q4 (jan - mar) sales and that is understandable considering the number of new console owners that typically spring up in Q3.

Yeah, definitely, covid made for a near 100% boost to digital sales, but I believe its indicative of where the market is generally going.

Otter said:
BraLoD said:

Abysmal is a bit strong, I mean we've been seeing its weekly sales for a while now so no shock lol. Japan is abysmal. 

But for sure profit over hardware sales, although approaching the PS5 we can assume they will use PS4 to price penetrate the market and bring people in their services ecosystem. I expect a dramatic price cut soon. 

It is hard to see it in a graph and don't feel like they are abysmal...