By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Q1 FY2020 (April-June) Results - PS4: 1.9m (LTD: 112.1m) | Best Quarter ever for PlayStation

Impressive numbers, the last of us part II increased first party sales a lot, good to know is tracking very well.

P.D: where are the 9 million units forecast for FY2020? I cannot find that in the presentation!!

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
BraLoD said:

PS1 had 20M sales after the PS2.

Both the PS1 and PS2 has legs because they were made cheap and affordable for most countries.

I got both the PS1 and PS2 for RS 400,00 here late on their gens, the PS4 is still around 2500 right now (though that was because everything got expensive again, it was around 1700 before).

A console that is now to be replaced very soon is still costing like a brand new product, like the PS3 was still expensive most of its life.

Those prices simply don't appeal to anyone.

We are saying the same thing... just calling it different names.

What you call legs, I call price.

If sony drops the PS4 to $149 this year, be rest assured it would sell another 20M unit even after the PS5 launches. At the launch of the PS2, the PS1 cost under $100. The PS2 cost $149 when the $599 PS3 launched.

But my main argument is that the PS4 doesn't even need to have legs. Sony needs to get the PS5 out and have a SKU be $399, and get the price of that SKU down to $199 as soon as possible. You want as many people on the new platform buying their games directly from you with no used game market insight and not people still buying your previous console. And I can see why they are stubbornly leaving the PS4 price at $299. They may want to create a situation where you should buy a $399 PS5 instead of a $299 PS4pro slim and a discontinued PS4 slim.

And I don't feel the investment required to make a PS4 super slim and a PS4 pro slim is necessary (even though I suspect sony may still do it).That's at least $300M in R&D and retooling. That kinda money would have been better put towards subsidizing the cost of the PS5 DE and bring it in at $349 instead lol. Or hell towards some other first-party projects.

Call me crazy, but I am of the mind that if your previous console is still doing very well when the new console comes out, then something is wrong and you have a big problem.

There is no even small chance for Sony droping PS4 price to 149$ this year. In 2013 some websites reported that PS4 manufactering cost is 381$. After so many years it still wont be much lover than half of the intial manufactering cost (about 190$ now) They really dont need selling PS4 at lost now. 

Also the PS5 wont get the 199$ price point for a very long time, just look after PS4 - the suggested price is now 299,99MSRP, so hoping PS5 will get a 199$ in the near future is just "best wishes" 

And comparing PS1 or PS2 prices (at the end of their lifetime) to PS4 situation is just wrong. The market and technology situation is so much different now than back then. 

I dont get why some are diminishing the DS reaching 150 millions cause it's a "portable" while the PS2 only did it by going 99$ and people bought it for DVD player

User was warned for this post - SpokenTruth.

Last edited by SpokenTruth - on 05 August 2020

xMetroid said:
I dont get why some are diminishing the DS reaching 150 millions cause it's a "portable" while the PS2 only did it by going 99$ and people bought it for DVD player

If we're going to play that game then we could bring up that the PS2 launched at $299 while the DS launched at $149 and was dropped to $129 in less than a year.

The "PS2 was bought as DVD player" is a silly story. "By the end of 2000, players were available for under $100 at discount retailers. In 2003 players became available for under $50"

So by PS2 launched.... DVD Player was $99 while PS2 was $299.... by end of 2003 DVD player was available under $50. It cost 3 times as much to get a PS2 instead of just a DVD player.

xMetroid said:

Back in 2001 a General Electric Bulky DVD was around $99. The fancy DVD players were around $199-299 whilst a PS2 was $299.

When PS2 received the final price cut ($99 from $129) on April 2009, shipments were around 140-145 million units. 

Around 2011 the DS was as cheap as $49. 

facts!!

Around the Network
Barkley said:
xMetroid said:

If we're going to play that game then we could bring up that the PS2 launched at $299 while the DS launched at $149 and was dropped to $129 in less than a year.

The "PS2 was bought as DVD player" is a silly story. "By the end of 2000, players were available for under $100 at discount retailers. In 2003 players became available for under $50"

So by PS2 launched.... DVD Player was $99 while PS2 was $299.... by end of 2003 DVD player was available under $50. It cost 3 times as much to get a PS2 instead of just a DVD player.

Yeah so if we ARE playing that game why not include that Sony sold the PS2 for more than 10+ years. As far as 2013 in fact. 

Also, the PS2 being the first DVD player as a primary reason for many people is a fact. https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/playstation-2-japan-launch/

Quote: "

“It was really a success from the start, the PS2 sold like crazy,” said Yoshida. “But when it launched in Japan, the best-selling software was actually the Matrix DVD.

“DVD was catching on but was still a very expensive system, and the PS2 came out with the same high quality DVD player capability with much lower, disruptive pricing.”

"

OTBWY said:
Barkley said:

Yeah so if we ARE playing that game why not include that Sony sold the PS2 for more than 10+ years. As far as 2013 in fact. 

But we're not playing that game. My point was that it's stupid to discount DS sales, and it's equally stupid to make dumb claims to try and discount the PS2.

And there's a difference between the PS2 at launch in Japan selling great because of DVD feature and attributing the DVD feature to it reaching 155m sales globally.

People say the PS2 sold because of it's DVD player in the USA which makes zero sense considering the price of DVD players compared to the price of the PS2.

Last edited by Barkley - on 05 August 2020

Barkley said:
OTBWY said:

But we're not playing that game. My point was that it's stupid to discount DS sales, and it's equally stupid to make dumb claims to try and discount the PS2.

And there's a difference between the PS2 at launch in Japan selling great because of DVD feature and attributing the DVD feature to it reaching 155m sales globally.

People say the PS2 sold because of it's DVD player in the USA which makes zero sense considering the price of DVD players compared to the price of the PS2.

No I am not, you are. I am only coming at you with facts and putting and end to unfounded claims in an attempt minimize the DS and maximize the PS2. 

The cold hard (historical) truth is that the PS2 was for many people the first DVD player. So much so that it pushed the format to the dominant format for many many years. Now you can say that there were other DVD players out, but honestly how can that be an argument when many people bought the PS2 as a multimedia device, with games as another option included. It's really a nonsense argument based on nothing. Add that with Sony A: selling the PS2 for 13 years and B: having a wider global distribution level, you can see why the sales are the way they are. 

And I am not saying that it only sold cause of DVDs, what I am saying is that it certainly drove the momentum in the first years of the PS2's long lifespan.

OTBWY said:
Barkley said:

No I am not, you are.

I am what? I'm so confused right now.

xMetroid said:

DS deserves its props but the nature of handheld ownership is quite different from consoles. Having multiple handhelds per household is quite common as it's intended as personal device and nintendo kind forced this further with games like Pokemon and Nintendogs only allowing 1 save file.