Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Q1 FY2020 (April-June) Results - PS4: 1.9m (LTD: 112.1m) | Best Quarter ever for PlayStation

Imagine trying to shade the hardware numbers. In November Sony will have two consoles selling at the same time. Only PS2 managed to be relevant when PS3 launched. 7 years PS4 in the market and is doing great.

Around the Network

@trunkswd

Sony revised their numbers:

PS4 shipment now at 112.1M so a correction of 200k down.

So according to the list Q3 2019 got a -100k correction same for Q4 2019.

But the 1.9M this quarter still stands

German YouTuber and Streamer:

Me trying to write reviews:
Octopath Traveler

Amazon 2020 thread

Marth said:

@trunkswd

You have a link to this?

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:
Marth said:

@trunkswd

You have a link to this?

Noticed it because of Zhuge

German YouTuber and Streamer:

Me trying to write reviews:
Octopath Traveler

Amazon 2020 thread

Marth said:
trunkswd said:

You have a link to this?

Noticed it because of Zhuge

Thank you. I guess I need to adjust PS4 sales down even more. I have a feeling it is similar with the Xbox One not that we get figures from Microsoft. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
BraLoD said:
Hardware numbers are abismal tho.
Seems like PS4 won't have legs like the PS3 didn't.
With the PS4 Pro the price actually didn't go down a cent this gen.
Seems like PS legs are a thing of the past now, keeping prices higher is what they want.

Does it matter though? The PS4 would still end up selling well over 125M by the time it's all said and done. The only other console (home) in existence to have come close to those kinda numbers is the PS2. And I don't think PS legs were ever really a thing, that only happened with the PS2, the PS1 didn't have legs. And if you look at it, I think it's obvious why the PS2 continued to sell really well when the PS3 came along. More interestingly though, launch aligned the PS4 is selling faster than the PS2 in the same 6-7yr period. If you want the PS4 to have legs, then just pray the PS5 comes in at $599 and the PS4 is dropped from $299 to $149. 

And right now, Playstation is making more money than the brand has ever made before. 

I think sony's primary and only focus should be to get all those PS4 owners over to the PS5 as quickly as possible. And preferably buying the digital SKU.

PS1 had 20M sales after the PS2.

Both the PS1 and PS2 has legs because they were made cheap and affordable for most countries.

I got both the PS1 and PS2 for RS 400,00 here late on their gens, the PS4 is still around 2500 right now (though that was because everything got expensive again, it was around 1700 before).

A console that is now to be replaced very soon is still costing like a brand new product, like the PS3 was still expensive most of its life.

Those prices simply don't appeal to anyone.

BraLoD said:
Intrinsic said:

Does it matter though? The PS4 would still end up selling well over 125M by the time it's all said and done. The only other console (home) in existence to have come close to those kinda numbers is the PS2. And I don't think PS legs were ever really a thing, that only happened with the PS2, the PS1 didn't have legs. And if you look at it, I think it's obvious why the PS2 continued to sell really well when the PS3 came along. More interestingly though, launch aligned the PS4 is selling faster than the PS2 in the same 6-7yr period. If you want the PS4 to have legs, then just pray the PS5 comes in at $599 and the PS4 is dropped from $299 to $149. 

And right now, Playstation is making more money than the brand has ever made before. 

I think sony's primary and only focus should be to get all those PS4 owners over to the PS5 as quickly as possible. And preferably buying the digital SKU.

Both the PS1 and PS2 has legs because they were made cheap and affordable for most countries.

I got both the PS1 and PS2 for RS 400,00 here late on their gens, the PS4 is still around 2500 right now (though that was because everything got expensive again, it was around 1700 before).

A console that is now to be replaced very soon is still costing like a brand new product, like the PS3 was still expensive most of its life.

Sony needs to cut the price of the PS4 to $199 and PS4 Pro to $299 in the next few months for them to have any legs. 

PS5 vs Switch sales should be fun. Both may easily shoot past 120 million, unless Nintendo does the unpredictable and cuts Switch's life cycle short.

trunkswd said:
BraLoD said:

Sony needs to cut the price of the PS4 to $199 and PS4 Pro to $299 in the next few months for them to have any legs. 

Either they have a Pro Slim or they phase it out like MS did.

The middle ground won't sell, either people don't have the money and go for the cheap or they have and go for the PS5.

And yes, big price cut for the PS4 is way past its time.

BraLoD said:
trunkswd said:

Either they have a Pro Slim or they phase it out like MS did.

The middle ground won't sell, either people don't have the money and go for the cheap or they have and go for the PS5.

And yes, big price cut for the PS4 is way past its time.

Yeah phasing out PS4 Pro makes sense. Microsoft has streamlined their lineup with just the Xbox One S for now and the Xbox Series X (and probably Xbox Series S) this holiday.