By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Q1 FY2020 (April-June) Results - PS4: 1.9m (LTD: 112.1m) | Best Quarter ever for PlayStation

BraLoD said:
Hardware numbers are abismal tho.
Seems like PS4 won't have legs like the PS3 didn't.
With the PS4 Pro the price actually didn't go down a cent this gen.
Seems like PS legs are a thing of the past now, keeping prices higher is what they want.

7 years out, and its still tracking ahead of the PS2 though.

If they had enough stock left, they could do a price drop.
Sadly, supposedly they dont. So its not likely to happend.

I wonder why they didn't produce more, and then lower prices, PS4 could have gone to higher heights if they had.

Around the Network
Barkley said:
OTBWY said:

No I am not, you are.

I am what? I'm so confused right now.

You are confused indeed.

BraLoD said:
JRPGfan said:

7 years out, and its still tracking ahead of the PS2 though.

If they had enough stock left, they could do a price drop.
Sadly, supposedly they dont. So its not likely to happend.

I wonder why they didn't produce more, and then lower prices, PS4 could have gone to higher heights if they had.

I mean, why would they not want to let it sells to the people that won't be able to afford the PS5 for a good time?

Drop that price and get more PS+ subscribers that will move for the PS5 later already there.

this... I have a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that there will be a PS5 (digital) for 399$, when the base PS4slim is still 299$.
It cant be real that theres only a 100$ differnce.

Sony need a super slim PS4 asap, and they need to set price to 149$.
And continue to make them, to sell to regions where they wont go for a 400$ or 500$ console.

OTBWY said:
Barkley said:

I am what? I'm so confused right now.

You are confused indeed.

Seems more like you were confused and thought I was taking the side of people discrediting the DS's sales, when I was merely pointing out the "PS2 dropped to $99" was some BS argument in the validity of PS2 vs DS sales.

Both systems sold amazing, DS shouldn't be discredited because it was a handheld and PS2 shouldn't be discredited because of it's price or dvd.

Why are we having a silly discussion of sales of over 10 years ago on a financial report for the latest quarter?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
twintail said:

Because they don't believe the increase in hardware sales will provide an increase in hardware revenue/ profit. 

They are clearly ok with sales as they are.

And why don't they believe that?

More PS+ subscribers is already enough reason to drop that price.

I can understand the PS3 as it was never that popular and PS+ was still small there, but now most sales come from PSN, and having a PS4 give people access to a whole lot of games to buy there.

I can't see why not just do it.

I have given you the reasonable on how much more sales you would need to justify the cut in price, and that count showed that it would be hard.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Barkley said:
OTBWY said:

You are confused indeed.

Seems more like you were confused and thought I was taking the side of people discrediting the DS's sales, when I was merely pointing out the "PS2 dropped to $99" was some BS argument in the validity of PS2 vs DS sales.

Both systems sold amazing, DS shouldn't be discredited because it was a handheld and PS2 shouldn't be discredited because of it's price or dvd.

That's kind of nonsense though, since when you look at your original comment that I responded to, you were clearly making arguments on the opposite of what you're pretending to be here right now. The first sentence you made was one for PS2 and against DS. The second was an attempt to disprove that it sold for many as a DVD first. Do you want me to bring back the comments you made?

OTBWY said:
Barkley said:

That's kind of nonsense though, since when you look at your original comment that I responded to, you were clearly making arguments on the opposite of what you're pretending to be here right now. The first sentence you made was one for PS2 and against DS. The second was an attempt to disprove that it sold for many as a DVD first. Do you want me to bring back the comments you made?

Arguing that his points were silly is not the same as arguing that the points for the opposite side are correct.

BraLoD said:
Hardware numbers are abismal tho.
Seems like PS4 won't have legs like the PS3 didn't.
With the PS4 Pro the price actually didn't go down a cent this gen.
Seems like PS legs are a thing of the past now, keeping prices higher is what they want.

Most probably Sony will do a price cut, so that they can sell the PS4 to a lot costumers and make them spent money in their services......compensating for the money they will (most likely) loose having a low price tag for the PS5.

kazuyamishima said:
xMetroid said:
I dont get why some are diminishing the DS reaching 150 millions cause it's a "portable" while the PS2 only did it by going 99$ and people bought it for DVD player

Back in 2001 a General Electric Bulky DVD was around $99. The fancy DVD players were around $199-299 whilst a PS2 was $299.

When PS2 received the final price cut ($99 from $129) on April 2009, shipments were around 140-145 million units. 

Around 2011 the DS was as cheap as $49. 

facts!!

If you want to have some facts, the best selling software around the PS2 launch was the Matrix DVD and many bought it with the PS2.  It was that popular that 'the Matrix' became  the 14th best selling DVD ever (15 million copies in the US alone and the PS2 helped to reach that number)

The Japanese market went crazy for DVD thanks to the PS2  like it is mentioned in this documentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e27kjhZXQqE

Sony even tried to repeat it with the PS3 with marketing it as a blu ray player that enraged some fans on Vgchartz  well older forum members will remember https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC_Xex2CP6Q